PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year!

W4GPL
12-31-2012, 05:00 AM
Can you believe it's 2013?

At 5am EST it turned 12am Jan 1st 2013 in Apia, Samoa, officially bringing 2013 to our little planet. Happy New Year everyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sXVxqDbFk

PA5COR
12-31-2012, 05:52 AM
Happy new year, wishing you all good health, luck and good DX ;)

N7YA
12-31-2012, 06:35 AM
Happy New Year, Jeff and everyone else.

Or as we say on CW...HNY.

KG4CGC
12-31-2012, 07:04 AM
Cheers!

KC2UGV
12-31-2012, 07:48 AM
Happy new year! I'll be leaving from work today at 3PM, and then proceeding to bring in the new year.

N7YA
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
Ill be leaving FOR work at 3pm, ringing in the new year with my band and The Rat Pack on the strip...then sitting in traffic for 2 hours just trying to get through one light to get home. If it werent stupid good money, i would sub out NYE and stay home. But we have absolutely NO work in january, and possibly february too. Gotta lay low and take whatever comes along.

NY3V
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Happy New Year!

Here in the Lowcountry, we will be eating this for good luck:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoppin'_John

K7SGJ
12-31-2012, 10:19 AM
I hope everyone has a SAFE and Happy New Year. Good DX, Ragchew, CW, Digital, ATV, or which ever way your carrier swings.

NQ6U
12-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm disappointed once again—2013 looks just like 2012. We should have all been commuting in autogiros and speaking Esperanto by now.

W7XF
12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
OK Barkeep...what's the hooch du jour??

KJ3N
12-31-2012, 01:52 PM

Hooch, or Hoochie Mama? ;)

K7SGJ
12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
I'm disappointed once again—2013 looks just like 2012. We should have all been commuting in autogiros and speaking Esperanto by now.

Well, you might get lucky and start the year off with a bang, so to speak.

N8XE
12-31-2012, 03:09 PM
Happy New Year gang.. I have a bottle of http://www.middlewestspirits.com/ OYO Whiskey to sip on this evening.

Oh yeah.. I will be pounding brass too for SKN.

Jason

N2CHX
12-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Happy New Year :beer::cheers:

suddenseer
12-31-2012, 03:34 PM
Happy New Year gang.. I have a bottle of http://www.middlewestspirits.com/ OYO Whiskey to sip on this evening.

Oh yeah.. I will be pounding brass too for SKN.

JasonAll the years I had an hf rig available, I was at a party or was home drinking on SKN (which coincides with my birthday as well). I finally am sober on SKN with the hf stuff in storage. I cannot send worth a crap on any type key after a few drinks. :snicker:

KG4CGC
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/c8c7eba2.jpg

KG4CGC
12-31-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm a pagan, I find your message of "Happy New Year" to be offensive. Please from now on use the neutral "Happy Gregorian calendar roll-over day"
Thank you.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

kf0rt
12-31-2012, 08:24 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Careful, dood. Someone will take that seriously.

KG4CGC
12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Careful, dood. Someone will take that seriously.

Well if they do, they can go straight to Kansas and self inseminate.

VE7MGF
12-31-2012, 10:20 PM
never been to kansas but one time when drunk it tried that but would not reach
been told many times to do that

KG4CGC
01-01-2013, 12:03 AM
OK. So now I have to write 2013 on everything.

KJ3N
01-01-2013, 12:12 AM

Bastids...

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 12:29 AM

Write it in Esperanto on the side of your autogiro.

KG4CGC
01-01-2013, 12:54 AM
Write it in Esperanto on the side of your autogiro.

According to Zamenhof, he created this language to foster harmony between people from different countries. His feelings and the situation in Bialystok may be gleaned from an extract from his letter to Nikolai Borovko:[6] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto#cite_note-6)
"The place where I was born and spent my childhood gave direction to all my future struggles. In Bialystok the inhabitants were divided into four distinct elements: Russians, Poles, Germans and Jews; each of these spoke their own language and looked on all the others as enemies. In such a town a sensitive nature feels more acutely than elsewhere the misery caused by language division and sees at every step that the diversity of languages is the first, or at least the most influential, basis for the separation of the human family into groups of enemies. I was brought up as an idealist; I was taught that all people were brothers, while outside in the street at every step I felt that there were no people, only Russians, Poles, Germans, Jews and so on. This was always a great torment to my infant mind, although many people may smile at such an 'anguish for the world' in a child. Since at that time I thought that 'grown-ups' were omnipotent, so I often said to myself that when I grew up I would certainly destroy this evil."
—L. L. Zamenhof, in a letter to Nikolai Borovko, ca. 1895
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

XE1/N5AL
01-01-2013, 01:00 AM
¡Feliz Año Nuevo!

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 01:03 AM
http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/two_thousand-thirteen_zps97688997.png

KG4CGC
01-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Still 2012 here.

Yeah but it's 2013 in New Orleans.

XE1/N5AL
01-01-2013, 01:08 AM
I remember as a kid I would try to tune my shortwave receiver to a broadcast station in each time zone around the world as the they chimed in the new year.

NA4BH
01-01-2013, 01:20 AM
Just had a shit load of Sam Adams "New World" beer. Smells like champagne tastes even better. Hannered. FAJITA !!!!!

ETA: 10% by the way............................

kq9j
01-01-2013, 08:51 AM
Happy New Year to all Islanders from frozen Wisconsin! I resolve to spend much more time in the warmer climes of the Island! Hope everyone has a great 2013!

N8YX
01-01-2013, 11:32 AM
What a very...Harrison observation. Just like something the Stainless Steel Rat might opine.

Happy New Year, all! (we slept through it.)

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Just had a shit load of Sam Adams "New World" beer. Smells like champagne tastes even better. Hannered. FAJITA !!!!!

ETA: 10% by the way............................

Things got wild and crazy here. I had a beer.

KJ3N
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM

No sacramental wine? Some pope you are....

KC2UGV
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
A little late, but Happy New Years to everyone!

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Have the police left yet?

KC2UGV
01-01-2013, 12:11 PM

They're still doing witness interviews.

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
He's in deep shit now. I heard Sheriff Joe just dispatched a few deputies, and you know how they deal with dark skinned Italians living close to Tijuana.

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM

They're still taking pictures of the approach, the getaway, the NW corner, the SW corner and that's not to mention the aerial photography.

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 02:54 PM
What a very...Harrison observation. Just like something the Stainless Steel Rat might opine.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if that's where it came from; it's been in my head for years now, so long that I can no longer recall if it's an original thought or something I read.

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
They're still taking pictures of the approach, the getaway, the NW corner, the SW corner and that's not to mention the aerial photography.

Can you save me some of the yellow crime scene tape? I use it to mark my septic tank location.

W7XF
01-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Happy Gregorian Calendar rollover!!! YMMV MMXIII

XE1/N5AL
01-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Happy Gregorian Calendar rollover!!! YMMV MMXIII
Finally, it's 2013! The past year seemed like it was one day longer than the three years preceding it.

kf0rt
01-01-2013, 04:58 PM
Finally, it's 2013! The past year seemed like it was one day longer than the three years preceding it combined.

Fixed.

N7YA
01-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Heres my NYE story....

My NYE tradition is working...i feel weird if i dont have a good gig on the Strip for new years. Last year was on our main stage outside...fireworks, couple hundred thousand drunks, lots of party horns, great money, etc. What you would think for a New Years celebration on the LV strip. Since i never get anything back from the IRS except more audits, NYE gigs are kind of like my refund check for the year.

This year they moved us inside, teamed us up with The Rat Pack show and a comedian, thats great...but it had its issues. First, we were supposed to be the main party band for a bunch of younger folks, a 10 person change over for the band (i would play a group of songs, the next bass player would come out and take over, a few songs later, the drummer would change, etc) just to keep the party going. The Rat Pack having their own room and us running a younger party in a different room...well, the ticket sales for Rat Pack were absolute shit this year, so the management decided to put both acts together in the same room. In doing so, half of the 10 piece band had to be let go, compensated by our own boss for their study time for a LOT less money than they were going to get and were left without work on NYE and worrying about money...all just a few days before the gig. Then they decided to cut the pay of the remaining band significantly, again, our own boss (the guitarist, also getting a pay cut) decided to reach into his own pocket to make up the diff as much as he could...we still ended up losing $250, not the end of the world, but still. He's a friend of mine of 25 years, an excellent manager and just a good man in general and really takes care of his people.

Nothing to complain about, i had work! The Rat Pack was up first, they were very good...top notch band, etc. The issue was the demographic, the room was inhabited by the fans they did manage to bring...and all of them were old enough to follow the careers of the original Rat Pack! It was like a bingo parlour in there! It was definately set up for their show. Live roses everywhere, tables with food and champagne, huge pictures of classic actresses all over the place. It was their room, their crowd. Fair enough. But they had other issues...all stemming from the lighting crew. Union hacks who didnt give a shit. During their set, they put on strobes, mirror ball and disco lights....for the Rat Pack...a 40's/50's act...you are only supposed to have blue or red back lighting and frontal follow-spots. Then, one of the light crews hangarounds (not even sure who this person was), took it upon herself to pretend she was a sound engineer and started hitting buttons on the main board...thus muting Dean Martin...in the middle of his song. The sound man was screaming "What are you doing??", she replied "I thought it would help"...he said "Number one, do NOT touch anything! Do not touch the sound board, EVER!"....sound crew earned their stripes, the lighting crew only got worse.

Next, the comedian went up. He was a nice guy named Kelly and they put him in our dressing room. He seemed like a pretty down to earth guy. He was slated for a half hour stand-up routine...got about 10 minutes in and was pulled by the entertainment director because he was bombing...ouch! I wasnt out there so i didnt see it, but I hate to see that kind of thing, i always feel bad...probably one of the hardest gigs in show biz. We had to bump up our start time. While we were getting ready, he came back and started changing out. I asked him how it went, he said "Just shoot me now, im already dead", but laughed it off and seemed happy to get out of there and back home early. Props for that.

So we hit the stage, frantic crew running everywhere as usual on these kinds of gigs. My in-ear mix during sound check was one of the best ive ever had, like a studio recording...but it all changed once we started playing. I get that since, for some reason, that always happens. Still, a rock solid sound crew, we've worked with them before. We decided to go with Motown classics first, then roll into 70's funk and disco, do the countdown, play Auld Lang Syne, do some modern dance material and call it a night...easy enough. Good call on the oldies because there werent more than 5 people on the dance floor under the age of 55. But they were having a great time, the band was playing well and everything was rolling along nicely.

I could see my boss checking the time and trying to map out which song we were going to cut short so we could do the countdown. We were right in the middle of a disco song when the lighting crew struck again....this time, it was bad.

We were chugging along through "I Will Survive" with about 4 minutes to go, when suddenly i heard "POP!", and strings of ticker tape go flying out over the audience, and the huge 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' video starts rolling on the screen behind us...and here we are singing "Now just leave, walk out the door, you're not welcome anymore". None of the audience had a chance to grab a drink, kiss their partner, do the traditional countdown...nothing! We were mid-song, looking at eachother, wondering what happened. I look over at the sound guy like 'what the fuck?', he simply pointed to his right...the lighting guys. They took it upon themselves to fire it off without looking at a clock, they were also responsible for loading up the live Times Square feed into the room...also didnt happen. An entire room of paying customers didnt even get a chance to ring in the new year properly. I look over and the lighting guys were being surrounded by management...i hope never to see those fucktards on another gig, and i suspect i wont. :lol:

Overall, it was a solid gig. Still got paid well to play a lot less material than i was studying for. No costume changes, both of my bosses (husband/wife team) are old and dear friends of mine, it was their anniversary last night, so it was all good vibes. As far as i know, everyone made it home safe and sound. And last night marked the start of my vacation time...one month off. Its been a hectic winter so far, my brain still hasnt figured out that its time to relax and do whatever i feel like. I dont have anything to study for, no dry cleaning, no gigs i have to be at...just chill. It hasnt set in yet.

So there ya have it...i hope everyone had a great New Years Eve, and i really do hope everyone has a better 2013 than the one we just finished up. I dont know about you, but 2012 wasnt that fun, i mean it was ok, but we've had better years...lots of rocky moments and bummers. I get the feeling from people everywhere that folks just want to have a smooth year, i hope it goes that way.

NQ6U
01-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Wow. I had a beer and read a book. At midnight, I kissed the XYL, wished her a happy new year and then we both went off to bed.

I must be getting old, or something.

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 09:30 PM
Heres my NYE story....

My NYE tradition is working...i feel weird if i dont have a good gig on the Strip for new years. Last year was on our main stage outside...fireworks, couple hundred thousand drunks, lots of party horns, great money, etc. What you would think for a New Years celebration on the LV strip. Since i never get anything back from the IRS except more audits, NYE gigs are kind of like my refund check for the year.

This year they moved us inside, teamed us up with The Rat Pack show and a comedian, thats great...but it had its issues. First, we were supposed to be the main party band for a bunch of younger folks, a 10 person change over for the band (i would play a group of songs, the next bass player would come out and take over, a few songs later, the drummer would change, etc) just to keep the party going. The Rat Pack having their own room and us running a younger party in a different room...well, the ticket sales for Rat Pack were absolute shit this year, so the management decided to put both acts together in the same room. In doing so, half of the 10 piece band had to be let go, compensated by our own boss for their study time for a LOT less money than they were going to get and were left without work on NYE and worrying about money...all just a few days before the gig. Then they decided to cut the pay of the remaining band significantly, again, our own boss (the guitarist, also getting a pay cut) decided to reach into his own pocket to make up the diff as much as he could...we still ended up losing $250, not the end of the world, but still. He's a friend of mine of 25 years, an excellent manager and just a good man in general and really takes care of his people.

Nothing to complain about, i had work! The Rat Pack was up first, they were very good...top notch band, etc. The issue was the demographic, the room was inhabited by the fans they did manage to bring...and all of them were old enough to follow the careers of the original Rat Pack! It was like a bingo parlour in there! It was definately set up for their show. Live roses everywhere, tables with food and champagne, huge pictures of classic actresses all over the place. It was their room, their crowd. Fair enough. But they had other issues...all stemming from the lighting crew. Union hacks who didnt give a shit. During their set, they put on strobes, mirror ball and disco lights....for the Rat Pack...a 40's/50's act...you are only supposed to have blue or red back lighting and frontal follow-spots. Then, one of the light crews hangarounds (not even sure who this person was), took it upon herself to pretend she was a sound engineer and started hitting buttons on the main board...thus muting Dean Martin...in the middle of his song. The sound man was screaming "What are you doing??", she replied "I thought it would help"...he said "Number one, do NOT touch anything! Do not touch the sound board, EVER!"....sound crew earned their stripes, the lighting crew only got worse.

Next, the comedian went up. He was a nice guy named Kelly and they put him in our dressing room. He seemed like a pretty down to earth guy. He was slated for a half hour stand-up routine...got about 10 minutes in and was pulled by the entertainment director because he was bombing...ouch! I wasnt out there so i didnt see it, but I hate to see that kind of thing, i always feel bad...probably one of the hardest gigs in show biz. We had to bump up our start time. While we were getting ready, he came back and started changing out. I asked him how it went, he said "Just shoot me now, im already dead", but laughed it off and seemed happy to get out of there and back home early. Props for that.

So we hit the stage, frantic crew running everywhere as usual on these kinds of gigs. My in-ear mix during sound check was one of the best ive ever had, like a studio recording...but it all changed once we started playing. I get that since, for some reason, that always happens. Still, a rock solid sound crew, we've worked with them before. We decided to go with Motown classics first, then roll into 70's funk and disco, do the countdown, play Auld Lang Syne, do some modern dance material and call it a night...easy enough. Good call on the oldies because there werent more than 5 people on the dance floor under the age of 55. But they were having a great time, the band was playing well and everything was rolling along nicely.

I could see my boss checking the time and trying to map out which song we were going to cut short so we could do the countdown. We were right in the middle of a disco song when the lighting crew struck again....this time, it was bad.

We were chugging along through "I Will Survive" with about 4 minutes to go, when suddenly i heard "POP!", and strings of ticker tape go flying out over the audience, and the huge 'HAPPY NEW YEAR' video starts rolling on the screen behind us...and here we are singing "Now just leave, walk out the door, you're not welcome anymore". None of the audience had a chance to grab a drink, kiss their partner, do the traditional countdown...nothing! We were mid-song, looking at eachother, wondering what happened. I look over at the sound guy like 'what the fuck?', he simply pointed to his right...the lighting guys. They took it upon themselves to fire it off without looking at a clock, they were also responsible for loading up the live Times Square feed into the room...also didnt happen. An entire room of paying customers didnt even get a chance to ring in the new year properly. I look over and the lighting guys were being surrounded by management...i hope never to see those fucktards on another gig, and i suspect i wont. :lol:

Overall, it was a solid gig. Still got paid well to play a lot less material than i was studying for. No costume changes, both of my bosses (husband/wife team) are old and dear friends of mine, it was their anniversary last night, so it was all good vibes. As far as i know, everyone made it home safe and sound. And last night marked the start of my vacation time...one month off. Its been a hectic winter so far, my brain still hasnt figured out that its time to relax and do whatever i feel like. I dont have anything to study for, no dry cleaning, no gigs i have to be at...just chill. It hasnt set in yet.

So there ya have it...i hope everyone had a great New Years Eve, and i really do hope everyone has a better 2013 than the one we just finished up. I dont know about you, but 2012 wasnt that fun, i mean it was ok, but we've had better years...lots of rocky moments and bummers. I get the feeling from people everywhere that folks just want to have a smooth year, i hope it goes that way.

Sorry to hear the gig didn't go well. But, now you have some time to spend with your honey and your camera. Smooching and clicking, who could ask for anything more? Sounds like a good line for a song, I'll have to work on that.

K7SGJ
01-01-2013, 09:32 PM
Wow. I had a beer and read a book. At midnight, I kissed the XYL, wished her a happy new year and then we both went off to bed.

I must be getting old, or something.

I did the same thing, minus the beer. And was your wife pissed when I tried to kiss her.

N7YA
01-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear the gig didn't go well. But, now you have some time to spend with your honey and your camera. Smooching and clicking, who could ask for anything more? Sounds like a good line for a song, I'll have to work on that.

Overall, it was a good gig and a good NYE...i just like to share stories for comedic effect. This one certainly had its share. :lol:

N8GAV
01-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Happy New Year to all and to all gud DX in 2013

N7YA
01-01-2013, 09:47 PM
I did the same thing, minus the beer. And was your wife pissed when I tried to kiss her.

Agreed...she wasnt too happy with me either. Whats the deal?