PDA

View Full Version : VHF/UHF Repeater

K9TSU
12-31-2012, 02:05 AM
Hi all!

I'm fifteen years old up here in S. Wisconsin. I'm tired of the "you can't say that," and the "God forbid that you talk for more than two seconds" repeaters, so I asked a local grain company to put a repeater up on their 175 foot tall elevator. They said yes.

I'm looking for donations of equipment, such as controllers, repeaters, radios that can be made into "home brew" repeaters, power supplies, coax, antennas, cables, etc. Also, advice/tips. I have an ID made for it thanks to some local radio DJ's.

Any donations of equipment/advice are welcomed t put the area's ONLY " Anti-BullCrap " repeater on the air. Hi hi.

Thanks all

de k9tsu

KC2UGV
12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Don't want to rain on your parade, but prior to securing equipment, have you coordinated a repeater pair with your local repeater group? While, you don't have to coordinate, if you use someone's coordinated pair, and they complain, you will have to shut down your repeater.

That being said, I can offer some additional advice: Look for older Motorola gear, and try to find a local with Moto experience, to assist you. Running a repeater is a full time job, and a huge money sink.

N8YX
12-31-2012, 08:19 AM
What Corey said, and you better have access to communication servicing equipment to keep the setup in proper tune.

A repeater is by no means a "plug and play" proposition.

KB3LAZ
12-31-2012, 08:59 AM
What Corey said, and you better have access to communication servicing equipment to keep the setup in proper tune.

A repeater is by no means a "plug and play" proposition.

That is why you should keep an old guy in the basement. Something stops working, poke him with a stick, give him a cup of coffee, and throw him some crackers. At least that is what I do...well..he lives in his own basement. So, I have to drive over. Seriously though, a local ham back home has always been a big help to me when it comes to using test equipment, learning to fix things, and finding parts. His parts box is actually two. Two rooms that is. An attic and a basement filled from floor to roof. :D

K7SGJ
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
That is why you should keep an old guy in the basement. Something stops working, poke him with a stick, give him a cup of coffee, and throw him some crackers. At least that is what I do...well..he lives in his own basement. So, I have to drive over. Seriously though, a local ham back home has always been a big help to me when it comes to using test equipment, learning to fix things, and finding parts. His parts box is actually two. Two rooms that is. An attic and a basement filled from floor to roof. :D

There are several "old guys" on here that fit your description.

KB3LAZ
12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
There are several "old guys" on here that fit your description.

Aye, however, to eliminate a few; his junk was in self made containers stored on shelves. This ham actually built shelving units from the floor to the ceiling.

K9TSU
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Yes, I know it's a "full time job" and the pair of 147.345 is open in the area. As well as MANY 440 ones. I'm a control operator for the larges Skywarn repeater and link system in the area, so I know it isn't "plug and play."

And as mentioned... I'm thinking older commercial Motorola gear is going to be best bet.

K7SGJ
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Aye, however, to eliminate a few; his junk was in self made containers stored on shelves. This ham actually built shelving units from the floor to the ceiling.

I'm confused. If they were built from the floor, what did they rest on?

N8YX
12-31-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, I know it's a "full time job" and the pair of 147.345 is open in the area. As well as MANY 440 ones. I'm a control operator for the larges Skywarn repeater and link system in the area, so I know it isn't "plug and play."

And as mentioned... I'm thinking older commercial Motorola gear is going to be best bet.
I would also have a look at the analog Icom or Yaesu repeater systems. Since the push to DStar and WIRES by these companies, a lot of decent older systems are coming available as they're upgraded.

KB3LAZ
01-09-2013, 06:24 AM
I'm confused. If they were built from the floor, what did they rest on? On the foundation?

W3WN
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I'm confused. If they were built from the floor, what did they rest on?Their laurels?

W3WN
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
I would also have a look at the analog Icom or Yaesu repeater systems. Since the push to DStar and WIRES by these companies, a lot of decent older systems are coming available as they're upgraded.If you hear of any, let me know.

The 146.955 /442.55 system has got some creaks in it's aging equipment. If the price was right, I think my club would buy replacement units. Well, after a few other issues are handled as well.

Incidentally, the North Hills ARC up in Wexford just purchased a replacement for the 147.09 MHz repeater (currently located on the Channel 11 tower). According to the e-mail I got, it set them back $3000.

kb2vxa
01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Something not yet mentioned, since the Part 90 narrow band mandate went into effect 1 January there is plenty of non compliant equipment out there being scrapped. Check radio repair shops for obsolete base, mobile, repeater and portable stuff looking for a home that would otherwise end up in a dumpster. That's what happened when broadcast went solid state, what tube transmitters didn't go to backup went to hams, the less fortunate ones were scrapped.