PDA

View Full Version : Random Holiday questions.

KB3LAZ
12-29-2012, 10:08 PM
Now, I know it is a bit after the fact but, what do you normally eat for xmas dinner? In fact, do you have an xmas dinner at all. I ask because this year was quite a bit different for me. Example: Stateside my family has turkey, mashed potatoes, etc for dinner. However, here in Spain a celebratory dinner for xmas is rather uncommon. In fact, they have a dinner on the 24th and rather than stay home, they go out as a family on the 25th for lunch. What is served? Mainly seafood, and of that seafood, mainly shrimp or prawn rather.

I shall give you a sneak peak.

Now, that glass of (idk) whatever is in it is about 16oz and yes that prawn is as big as the glass. Anyway, the plate beside the glass contains grilled giant prawn. To the right are boiled red shrimp, commonly known as jumbo shrimp in the states (or at least I think they are the same). IE: Cocktail shrimp. You will also see a type of cracker with quail eggs on them as well as jamon and sheep milk cheese. Not pictured are some sort of shrimp with pincers, and a hard shell. We had many of those and they were infested with eggs which my in-laws love. For the life of me idk what they are called nor do I remember if they are a shrimp or a type of crab. I will update you later.

It was a fun experience all around.

Now, next question. Do any of you celebrate the 6th of January? It is a much bigger day here than xmas is. The three wise men and all of that.

Also, what do you do for new year? Back home, I did not really think much of the day as it was an excuse for many to get drunk and I never really participated. However, here it would seem that you have lunch with your family and then go out with your friends. However we will stay the whole night with the family. I will also update you as to what types of food are had on that day.

So, a touch of curiosity struck me. I know that we play host to many hams around the world in this hobby and on the island itself. I was just wondering how everyone celebrated the recent holidays.

NQ6U
12-29-2012, 10:19 PM
As usual, I sacrificed a goat.

KG4CGC
12-29-2012, 10:26 PM
The tradition in America is to go out and get stinking drunk on New Years Eve and end up in jail with either a drunk and disorderly charge or a DUI with murder tacked on for good measure.
It's like running with the bulls. I used to take my chances walking the streets of Downtown Greenville on New Years Eve until 2001 when they shut down the who downtown New Year's celebration. If you wanted to go to a restaurant you need to make a reservation and they quit letting people in at 10PM.
We stayed at the Hyatt one year. We figured we'd have a couple of rooms and walk around downtown doing a typical pub crawl but ... we couldn't even buy a beer to save our lives! Couple hundred bars and restaurants all in a half mile of each other and the place was locked down! People used to mingle in the streets and watch the fireworks and pop in to a bar and have a quick drink before going back out and just be part of the vibe. Well, the town elders decided to let the terrorists win that year and years since.

On a lighter note. You can still stay at home and eat home cooked goodness with the fruits of your loins clamoring that they're bored. WTF, right? They just got new toys a week earlier!

VE7DCW
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM

Carl..... that's not a picture of him,the guy with the tottin' horn in his hand wanting to wish me a Happy New Year is it? :spin:

KB3LAZ
12-29-2012, 10:28 PM

I dont recall biting you.

NQ6U
12-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Carl..... that's not a picture of him,the guy with the tottin' horn in his hand wanting to wish me a Happy New Year is it? :spin:

No, that's me. I've lost a lot of weight recently.

KB3LAZ
12-29-2012, 10:40 PM
No, that's me. I've lost a lot of weight recently.

I told you, you have to drink their blood not just kill them.

kb2vxa
12-29-2012, 10:54 PM
"Not pictured are some sort of shrimp with pincers, and a hard shell. We had many of those and they were infested with eggs which my in-laws love."

Assuming a fresh water species that look like tiny lobsters they're crayfish. Females carry the eggs under the tail and the babies cling there for a time and one by one drop off to live on their own. This one is shown for size, there are several varieties with the southern being somewhat larger than northern and those here in NJ are brown with reddish markings near the joints.

KB3LAZ
12-29-2012, 10:58 PM
"Not pictured are some sort of shrimp with pincers, and a hard shell. We had many of those and they were infested with eggs which my in-laws love."

Assuming a fresh water species that look like tiny lobsters they're crayfish. Females carry the eggs under the tail and the babies cling there for a time and one by one drop off to live on their own. This one is shown for size, there are several varieties with the southern being somewhat larger than northern and those here in NJ are brown with reddish markings near the joints.

Crayfish was my first thought but it is saltwater and looks slightly different. Similar though. Yes the eggs were under the tail.

I have had crayfish in a few southern states when I was back stateside.

BTW, it looks like a crayfish but with the head of a shrimp.

n6hcm
12-30-2012, 07:54 AM
i don't really celebrate xmas (on 25dec or 6jan or any other day). on xmas eve i brought home a roast chicken from safeway ($5 ... savings!), augmented it with other stuff at home and the critters and i ate well.

new year's eve is f'n amateur night and i don't really drink much anymore. i did ask my facebook pals if anything useful was happening on nye but didn't hear back--should probably do that when people are watching.

my only real problem with spain is all the seafood--i didn't grow up eating it and am generally not a fan. there are exceptions to the rule, but not many.

KB3LAZ
12-30-2012, 03:23 PM
i don't really celebrate xmas (on 25dec or 6jan or any other day). on xmas eve i brought home a roast chicken from safeway ($5 ... savings!), augmented it with other stuff at home and the critters and i ate well.

new year's eve is f'n amateur night and i don't really drink much anymore. i did ask my facebook pals if anything useful was happening on nye but didn't hear back--should probably do that when people are watching.

my only real problem with spain is all the seafood--i didn't grow up eating it and am generally not a fan. there are exceptions to the rule, but not many.

Really only in some areas though. Up north there is a lot of pork and beef served. Also, some stellar realized mushrooms. Personally, I dont like fish, or most other types of seafood. Shrimp, squid, and octopus only.

KB3LAZ
12-30-2012, 03:25 PM

They are these thingies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephrops_norvegicus

Commonly known as Scampi.

K7SGJ
12-30-2012, 03:58 PM

Before or after?

NQ6U
12-30-2012, 04:05 PM
Before or after?

I can neither confirm or deny. My beliefs preclude me from answering.

KB3LAZ
12-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Btw, if you have never had shrimp outside of the US you have never had good shrimp. Well, maybe if you get some wild caught or imported shrimp. Or maybe it is different from areas from where I hail. Anyway, the shrimp here in Europe is much more flavorful. The variety is stunning too. Also, I will never again buy pre boiled or shelled shrimp. It just isnt the same.

If you must de-vein that is fine. However, do so after it has boiled (shell on). Preferably never frozen. Will there be mud and muck in the shell when you crack it open, yes. Does it look nasty as hell when it oozes out, damn right. Does that lessen the flavor, by no means.

When I first got here I could not even eat a fried shrimp because they head was still attached. Now I pop off the head and drink the insides. Much like one would do with a crawdad.

Anyway, I made a shrimp cocktail the other day. Got some fresh caught shrimp (most were still living). Throw them in a bowl of ice for 30 mins or so and they spit up most of the mud. Then boil them, remove them, let them cool, shell them, de vein and or butterfly, (rinse if desired but only lightly or they will lose flavor. I say rinse if desired because some people find freshly shelled shrimp too salty.), and then eat them.

Personally, we just boil them, chill them, then shell and eat them at the table. Yum.

If you like shrimp but do not care for them plain. Grab some large red shrimp (I prefer to brown) or some red prawn from the local shop of your choice. Small shrimp will not suffice! Though, you can use red/black/brown, etc, whatever your heart desires. (NO not all uncooked shrimp are brown or grey.)

Anyway: You can make Paella or small rice (similar).

What is needed.

Short grain white rice
Smoked sweet paprika
Saffron
Garlic (Cloves)
Clove
Salt
Rosemary
One green bell pepper
One red bell pepper
Green beans (Raw, flat Italian type is best)
White beans (boiled or canned is fine. Soft is the point.)
EVOO
Fresh uncooked jumbo shrimp or prawn
Chicken or Seafood stock
Fried tomato (canned. Puree not diced.)

(This is to make little rice. For Paella you will need to add rabbit and chicken, or other seafoods.)

Okay now for how to cook the dish. Take a deep skillet (carbon is preferred) cover the bottom with EVOO, let it heat until the oil is slightly cracking, add chopped but not minced garlic (to taste) two cloves per person is suggested, then add minced onion and let brown. Next use the oil to lightly fry your shrimp (shell on and raw) until the shells start to show white spots, remove and place on a plate for the time being. (Note: the shrimp will be slightly under cooked at this point and that is intended.) All the while, be boiling your stock with the veggies inside. When done, set aside. Now, add the rice and shuffle it around with a wooden spoon until it soaks up the oil. Next, mix in the fried tomato, about 6 oz. After that let it fry for a few moments and then add the stock and the veggies. (General rule with rice: 2 cups of water or stock per one cup of rice.) At this point you add a few rosemary leaves (1 for 2-3 people, 2 for up to 5, but never more than 3), a very small pinch of granulated clove, a few large pinches of slat, 3 table spoons of sweet paprika, and 3 saffron threads per person. Now add your sliced red and green bell peepers and let boil with the lid off for about 20 mins or until almost dry. While there is a little moisture left, add the shrimp on the top and do not mix. Pace the lid on 3/4 of the way or fully if it has a breather. Let rest for 15-20 mins or until completely dry. The end result should be a dry rice dish with a crust on the bottom.

Remember, eat your little rice or paella directly from the pan. Anything else is sacrilegious.

The end result will look something like this. (Note: I did not have any peppers this day. Also, it is the first one cooked by me. :D) Oh and sorry about the quality of the photo, cellphone.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
The tradition in America is to go out and get stinking drunk on New Years Eve and end up in jail with either a drunk and disorderly charge or a DUI with murder tacked on for good measure.
It's like running with the bulls. I used to take my chances walking the streets of Downtown Greenville on New Years Eve until 2001 when they shut down the who downtown New Year's celebration. If you wanted to go to a restaurant you need to make a reservation and they quit letting people in at 10PM.
We stayed at the Hyatt one year. We figured we'd have a couple of rooms and walk around downtown doing a typical pub crawl but ... we couldn't even buy a beer to save our lives! Couple hundred bars and restaurants all in a half mile of each other and the place was locked down! People used to mingle in the streets and watch the fireworks and pop in to a bar and have a quick drink before going back out and just be part of the vibe. Well, the town elders decided to let the terrorists win that year and years since.

On a lighter note. You can still stay at home and eat home cooked goodness with the fruits of your loins clamoring that they're bored. WTF, right? They just got new toys a week earlier!

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2012/dec/30/6/one-person-killed-greenville-county-wreck-ar-5262079/

It starts early around here.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 06:07 PM
One more thing, share this number and save lives this New Year's Eve.
1-800-222-4357
Tipsy Tow by AAA will be free from 6PM December 31st until 6AM January 1st.

kb2vxa
12-30-2012, 07:28 PM
"Up north there is a lot of pork and beef served. Also, some stellar realized mushrooms."

AAAaaah, after a few 'shrooms your stellar will be realized. Scampi, never ate them so I didn't know what they look like but I know how they got the name. When you try to grab one, with a few flicks of the tail it scampi away backwards.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 11:28 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/188copy_zpsb77fa708.jpg

NA4BH
12-30-2012, 11:33 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/188copy_zpsb77fa708.jpg

You batter that and fry it? Right? :whistle:

KG4CGC
12-31-2012, 12:10 AM
You batter that and fry it? Right? :whistle:

Maybe at the Jeff Foxworthy Gravy Restaurant but not here.

KC2UGV
01-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Christmas Eve, we do a themed food get together. This year was home-made dips, and you choice of what to dip into it. Last year was "Roadside Diner Fare" (Roast beef, meatloaf, mash potatoes, slimer dogs, etc).

Christmas day, it's our day to spend with the immediate family. We open gifts, kids play, adults drink wine and play with our new toys, and we have some sort of dinner. A nice big dinner, this year was baked macaroni and cheese, sweet potato fries, and beef on wick.

New Years eve? At home, drink, have friends over, and watch cheesy movies until the ball drops; or we go out to friend's house to do the same. New year's day? Recovery, lunch, and brinner (Breakfast for dinner).

N7YA
01-02-2013, 03:24 AM
Seaweed soup. Coffee. Staying home and shutting off the porch light.

Yeah bitches!! Representin!!