PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 Build 8250 Eval - Windows 8 stinks

N1LAF
12-29-2012, 03:38 PM
I am running the evaluation build of Windows 8, Build 8250, and if this is anything like what Windows 8 is suppose to be - they can have it, the OS down right sucks!!

Opened the New Internet Explorer 10, went full screen, no way to window or close the program. Had to CTRL ALT DEL to bring up task manager and kill the task.

No way to select programs. After running/killing IE10, the tiles are gone, I have Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer on the task bar, but no way of selecting programs.

I did a download from IE10, have no idea where the file went (reminds me of the older MAC's). Opened Windows Explorer, and found the file under Download. I rather have Firefox, where I have the option to "Save As" dialog box as well as default folder.

To fix most of Microsoft deficiencies and stupidity, download and install classic shell.
http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/index.html

You have a choice on what menu style for the [Start Button] it will create for you. Many customizations to restore what Microsoft thought you don't use/need.

I installed and setup so a left click opens to Windows classic Start Menu (You can choose Classic, Win XP, Vista, or Win 7), and middle button gives me the Metro front panel, that I could not get back to from Windows native interface.

N1LAF
12-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Some applications run full screen, and hitting the "Windows key" closes the application.

No icon for Wordpad found, but using search on Windows Explorer found Wordpad.exe, copied as short cut to desktop, run, and it ran as you would expect.

Again, classic shell will help make Windows 8 Usable, and also helps Windows 7 OS as well.

n6hcm
12-30-2012, 08:01 AM
windows 8 is not windows 7 or windows xp. it is windows vista--not so much in the resources way as it is in the user interface way. they're trying to break from the past and not really succeeding.

your download is probably in c:\users\username\downloads but i can't verify since i'm too lazy to get up and power up the windows 8 system i created but don't use.

if you have to install "classic shell" then there really isn't a point to install windows 8.

WØTKX
12-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Nobody ever got fired for hating Microsoft. ;)

X-Rated
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
I am running the evaluation build of Windows 8, Build 8250, and if this is anything like what Windows 8 is suppose to be - they can have it, the OS down right sucks!...

Ah. You do have popular support on this. It goes in natural cycles. Win 95 sucks. Win 98 good. Win ME sucks. Win XP good. Win Vista sucks. Win 7 good. Now we have Win 8.

KB3LAZ
12-30-2012, 10:51 AM
windows 8 is not windows 7 or windows xp. it is windows vista--not so much in the resources way as it is in the user interface way. they're trying to break from the past and not really succeeding.

your download is probably in c:\users\username\downloads but i can't verify since i'm too lazy to get up and power up the windows 8 system i created but don't use.

if you have to install "classic shell" then there really isn't a point to install windows 8.

Yep but if you buy new, chances are it will have win 8. You can still get 7 machines but they are starting to disappear. I was looking at a bad ass netbook for my new travel like lifestyle. 8 gig ram, 750g HD, and decent integrated graphics. Tested out a friends and it will even play some older MMO's and FPS at right around 18FPS. Not great but playable. The setback, I hated win 8. Meh, in time one gets used to things, much like I got used to win 7.

Though, I bought a new watch rather than the PC. :P PC would have been cheaper. I needed a new watch more. o0 (Not really but it sure is sexy.)

KC2UGV
12-31-2012, 09:49 AM

They're not trying to break from the past. They're trying to return to it. Windows 1.1: No tiled windows, most everything full screen :lol:

K0RGR
01-01-2013, 03:01 PM
I put Win 8 on my netbook just before I destroyed it, and it actually seemed to run better than Win7 - didn't even complain about my device drivers. I am not wild about the new interface, and it has to log into Windoze something on the net before it lets me do anything - I guess they have to try to catch up to Android and Google that way - it's much slower than Android that way, and having to use a password on a device that really doesn't need one is annoying. I don't know yet what happens if it can't connect to the 'net - maybe it explodes.

Anyway, I destroyed my Asus netbook trying to upgrade the puny memory, which is why I upgraded to Windoze 8 in the first place, so I guess I won't get any more Win 8 lessons for a while, unless I manage to somehow fix the mangled battery connector and battery. Grrrrrrrrr... I'm back using a Sony that doesn't like to be around RF, and is almost as slow as the Asus.

N1LAF
01-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Holiday season sales of personal computers fell for the first time in more than five years, according to tech industry tracker IDC, as Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system failed to excite buyers and many instead opted for tablet devices and smartphones.

The slump caps a miserable year for PC makers such as Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo and Dell , which saw the first annual decline for more than a decade with no immediate signs of relief.

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/holiday-pc-sales-slide-first-time-5-years-1B7931427

No surprise here

NQ6U
01-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Holiday season sales of personal computers fell for the first time in more than five years, according to tech industry tracker IDC, as Microsoft's new Windows 8 operating system failed to excite buyers and many instead opted for tablet devices and smartphones. [...]

No surprise here

Nope, not to anyone who's been paying attention, anyhow.

Desktop computers have pretty much been relegated to business use, home users largely moved to laptops over the past five years or so and now even those are giving way to tablets. Given the way that the majority of people use a computer at home (e-mail and Web surfing), a tablet makes a lot more sense. I need a little more computing horsepower than a tablet provides so I'll probably stick with a laptop but should the XYL's laptop ever become irreparable, an iPad with an add-on keyboard would suit her just fine.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 07:25 AM
Nope, not to anyone who's been paying attention, anyhow.

Desktop computers have pretty much been relegated to business use, home users largely moved to laptops over the past five years or so and now even those are giving way to tablets. Given the way that the majority of people use a computer at home (e-mail and Web surfing), a tablet makes a lot more sense. I need a little more computing horsepower than a tablet provides so I'll probably stick with a laptop but should the XYL's laptop ever become irreparable, an iPad with an add-on keyboard would suit her just fine.

Even corporate environments are rolling over to laptops. The key bonus of desktops was upgrade-ability, but that's changed with the disposable computer. It makes no sense to expect to upgrade a machine which will be replaced in 3 years (Average depreciation for computers in industry).

n2ize
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
They're not trying to break from the past. They're trying to return to it. Windows 1.1: No tiled windows, most everything full screen :lol:
Maybe they should just give it up and go back to MSDOS... run everything from the DOS command shell.

n2ize
01-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Even corporate environments are rolling over to laptops. The key bonus of desktops was upgrade-ability, but that's changed with the disposable computer. It makes no sense to expect to upgrade a machine which will be replaced in 3 years (Average depreciation for computers in industry).

One advantage of desktops these days is that they are dirt cheap.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 11:44 AM
One advantage of desktops these days is that they are dirt cheap.

And, so are laptops. And, laptops have the advantage of being portable.

NQ6U
01-11-2013, 12:13 PM
And, so are laptops. And, laptops have the advantage of being portable.

If you change portable to easily lost or stolen, you'll understand why a lot of companies still stick with desktop computers. That, and larger monitors.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 12:55 PM
If you change portable to easily lost or stolen, you'll understand why a lot of companies still stick with desktop computers. That, and larger monitors.

And, if you negate "easily lost or stolen" with whole disk encryption combined with the increased productivity you get, then you'll see why most companies have started to transition most workstations to laptops.

n2ize
01-11-2013, 05:27 PM
I think they both have advantages and disadvantages. I often like to reach inside the case and change things around and in that sense desktop systems are in most cases easier to work on.

n2ize
01-11-2013, 05:28 PM

You can plug large monitors into most laptops.

n2ize
01-11-2013, 05:30 PM
And, if you negate "easily lost or stolen" with whole disk encryption combined with the increased productivity you get, then you'll see why most companies have started to transition most workstations to laptops.

Disk encryption still doesn't prevent the laptop from being physically stolen. All one need to is physically steal the laptop and then put in a new drive.

KC2UGV
01-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Disk encryption still doesn't prevent the laptop from being physically stolen. All one need to is physically steal the laptop and then put in a new drive.

For most companies, the $500 into a laptop isn't the big deal. The data on it is usually worth 10-20x that amount. The data is what matters, as the hardware was two steps from replacement anyways.

KB3LAZ
01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
I rather use a laptop but they still have one large disadvantage, GPU. Getting a laptop with they GPU I need, preferably a dedicated card + dedicated ram to back it is still in the stratosphere for price when it comes to what I need. Also, handling the heat of gaming to the extent I do and have done in the past is an issue. Even if I drop the cash to get what I need, and I have in the past, after they get hot (and they will) the performance drops, significantly. Which is when the lag starts. Micro bursts of lag may not be a big deal to some but it is enough to get my ass dead in a situation where I can not afford to be dead.

Particularly when you are talking about external respawn when you were in a tripple instanced map which is a maze and requires rebuilding a party three times. I cant afford one second of micro lag let alone the three minutes it takes to get back to where I need to be. In an MMORPG during a boss raid milliseconds count.

Now, outside of a weekly boss raid of this magnitude even a mid grade laptop will suffice. Which is leaps and bounds better than just three or four years ago when I would not have dreamed of using an el cheapo laptop for common play.

So, in essence I agree with you but there is still a little bit of catch up to play. Outside of gaming and a few other demanding tasks I would have to say that you are 100% correct. I think the key will be lower power consumption CPU's and other components as well as better cooling and ventilation systems. If they didnt keep making laptops more slim each year then the heat would be less of an issue.

Being a gamer and liking the ability to take my games with me on the go, I have been an avid laptop user for years. During this time I have gone through many many laptops and have come to the realization that it is cheaper to get the bargain bin deals if they can cut the mustard. Because, melting down a cheap PC in 8 months and replacing it is still better than destroying a 2-3k$ gaming system in give or take 18 months. There is a 100-150% savings.

Reflecting on what I said before, that still leaves the issue of cross server weekly monster hunts and boss raids. These larger events take place only one day a week and I reserve that day for home on my desktop. In fact, that is all it is used for.

Again, I am willing to be the future will make cheapies the way to go for people such as myself. The tech is starting to bottleneck with gaming improvement but not PC's. Good for us gamers in some ways. At least our wallets.

Not to continue this wall of text but what really surprised me the other day was using a netbook. Or rather a laptop between the netbook and ultrabook range. Newegg special. 11.6 with 8g ram and dedi GPU it actually out preformed my back up laptop while gaming. All for under 400$. However, only for about 45 mins and then I could fry an egg but I could not port, lol. Still impressive. Just a few years back I could not even load a browser based game on most netbooks I came in contact with.