PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here in-dash mount a TrunkTracker?

kf0rt
12-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Santa got me a new car stereo for Christmas (it was $99 and he couldn't resist). Nothing real fancy, but this has Bluetooth and RDS and a much better UI than my 4-year-old Alpine.

Since I'm gonna have the dash apart anyway, I thought I might take another look at mounting the TrunkTracker (Uniden BCD996XT, had it a couple years). My '07 Altima has a double-DIN radio arrangement, and these single-DIN aftermarket stereos fit fine with room for a single-DIN plastic cubbyhole. When I first bought the Uniden, the plan was to put it in the car (even have the antenna for that). It seems DIN compatible. Remove the sleeve that serves as it's "desk cover" and it even has the right mounting hole patterns. Oughtta drop right in. BUT, the front faceplate seems big and flanged in a way that it doesn't look like it will fit at all.

Anyone here ever done this before?

N8YX
12-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I built a mount for my TM721 so it would fit into the DIN slot in a '98 Protege. The width part always seems to get ya.

kf0rt
12-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Dammit! Think I just talked myself into doubling the size of this project and going for the antenna. Sumbich fits (sort of).

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 04:43 PM
There was a time when you could simply reach up from underneath and fix things at will. These days of course, it requires a full disassembley of the entire dash where the black widders are hiding, waiting for you.

kf0rt
12-26-2012, 06:33 PM
There was a time when you could simply reach up from underneath and fix things at will. These days of course, it requires a full disassembley of the entire dash where the black widders are hiding, waiting for you.

Well, maybe in Pat's world. Y'know, a 70's kid oughtta be able to just knock back a few beers and do a decent car radio install at approximately the same time. Here's the result:

I think it'll work with just a tad of programming. The JVC receiver (new toy) came up in advertising mode, but sounds good. No antenna for the Uniden (yet... maybe?), so I stuck the old collapsible 1950's walkie talkie aeriel on the back. It's receiving Eldo Mountain (big trunking system here) with 5 "bars." Hell, I might be DONE!

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, maybe in Pat's world. Y'know, a 70's kid oughtta be able to just knock back a few beers and do a decent car radio install at approximately the same time. Here's the result:

I think it'll work with just a tad of programming. The JVC receiver (new toy) came up in advertising mode, but sounds good. No antenna for the Uniden (yet... maybe?), so I stuck the old collapsible 1950's walkie talkie aeriel on the back. It's receiving Eldo Mountain (big trunking system here) with 5 "bars." Hell, I might be DONE!

OOOOooo! Shinny!

kf0rt
12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Car won't start. It's always something.

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 10:19 PM
Car won't start. It's always something.

Disconnect the battery?

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Disconnect the battery?

Took an ECU reset. First time I've ever had to do that -- must have glitched something putting the radio in (had the battery disconnected the whole time). And what a bizarre bunch of stuff you gotta do to get it in the "mood" for that. Interesting though... discovered how to read the trouble codes without a reader. That could come in handy.

KG4CGC
12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Took an ECU reset. First time I've ever had to do that -- must have glitched something putting the radio in (had the battery disconnected the whole time). And what a bizarre bunch of stuff you gotta do to get it in the "mood" for that. Interesting though... discovered how to read the trouble codes without a reader. That could come in handy.

I was wondering. A newish Chevy gave the kids trouble when the battery went dead. Changed the battery and spent another half hour trying to figure WTF was going on. In our case, had to leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. The manual claimed it was an anti-theft program while I claimed it was pro-BS.

WØTKX
12-27-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice job. Personally, I think it was a lot of effort to track the wrong trunk...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyoh40xziP1r985vxo1_500.jpg

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
I was wondering. A newish Chevy gave the kids trouble when the battery went dead. Changed the battery and spent another half hour trying to figure WTF was going on. In our case, had to leave the key in the ON position for 10 minutes. The manual claimed it was an anti-theft program while I claimed it was pro-BS.

Ha! How are ya supposed to know this stuff? I couldn't find the reset sequence in the factory shop manual (the ECU "chapter" alone is 1500 pages). Quick Google found it, though. Turn ignition ON. Wait three seconds. Pump the accelerator pedal to floor 5 times in under 5 seconds. Wait 7 seconds. Hold accelerator to floor until check engine light starts blinking. Count the blinks, it's the code. Turn ignition off and the ECU resets.

Shouldn't there be an app for that?

X-Rated
12-27-2012, 11:55 AM
The car dealership at Acura sold me what they call a "Boehner Key". It was like $5 where a regular key is much more expensive. What it does do is unlocks the doors, fits and turns in the ignition slot, plays the accessories, cranks the engine, but when you want the car to start, it says...hell no you can't.

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 11:57 AM
:rofl:

KG4CGC
12-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Ha! How are ya supposed to know this stuff? I couldn't find the reset sequence in the factory shop manual (the ECU "chapter" alone is 1500 pages). Quick Google found it, though. Turn ignition ON. Wait three seconds. Pump the accelerator pedal to floor 5 times in under 5 seconds. Wait 7 seconds. Hold accelerator to floor until check engine light starts blinking. Count the blinks, it's the code. Turn ignition off and the ECU resets.

Shouldn't there be an app for that?

Did you have to hold your tongue in your right cheek while squinting your left eye?

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 12:19 PM
Did you have to hold your tongue in your right cheek while squinting your left eye?

That wasn't part of the instructions, but it seems to have helped.

K7SGJ
12-27-2012, 12:28 PM
You put your left foot in, .......................