PDA

View Full Version : For The Holiday's

n2ize
12-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Here is the flute section of my orchestra playing a holiday classic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBya5yvCrC8&feature=player_embedded#!

HUGH
12-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Greensleeves, just the right tempo. Where were you hiding by the way?

K7SGJ
12-25-2012, 10:36 AM
:41 Huh, I never knew ZZ Top played in a woodwind section.

KG4CGC
12-25-2012, 11:28 AM
Pretty neat. I remember when white people used to dance to that.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 10:45 PM
They sure can blow a mean flute.

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 12:08 AM
They sure can blow a mean flute.

You could try to flout a fellatist but half the time you could probably fellate a floutest ... if you were so inclined, that is.

n2ize
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Greensleeves, just the right tempo. Where were you hiding by the way?

Ah yes... good reminder that this melody is also known as Greensleeves, an old English ballad.... As for me, I usually hide out in the violin section. However, I didn't play this particular concert due to a conflict with my job.

n2ize
12-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Here's another seasonal holiday piece "Sleigh Ride". This one is more or less full orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NOQFE34yN0

HUGH
12-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Now I have you!

That's pretty good, perhaps a little tuneup on the strings is required but I wouldn't know. There again, perhaps the room you use is somewhat acoustically damped especially when full of people. I see the orchestra have a fair quantity of music on YouTube.

What I do remember about a university orchestra in New Zealand, after hearing them practice a number for Christmas over and over again, is that I never recognised it until somebody told me it was actually Prokofiev's Troika from the Lt. Kije Suite. It was dire but we were too polite to say anything to the players.

n2ize
12-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Now I have you!

That's pretty good, perhaps a little tuneup on the strings is required but I wouldn't know. There again, perhaps the room you use is somewhat acoustically damped especially when full of people. I see the orchestra have a fair quantity of music on YouTube.

The music does sound somewhat subdued. I attribute that to three things. First and foremost, the quality of the orchestra, We are amateur and of varying skill levels so we are definitely going to sound , well... amateurish. Second, yes, the acoustics of the rooms we play in varies. In this place they were plating at a public library which, often do not have the best acoustics, particularly when crowded. Third, lack of a recording engineer and quality recording equipment. This was done using the conductors recording / video gear from a fixed point. What we really need are multiple mics, mixing, etc.

However, we do take on some much more difficult classical pieces, such as Handels messiah and Water Music, Beethoven's 7th and 9th. And we play them as the composer wrote them. Our conductor prefers we do it that way as opposed to playing contemporary arrangements.

What I do remember about a university orchestra in New Zealand, after hearing them practice a number for Christmas over and over again, is that I never recognised it until somebody told me it was actually Prokofiev's Troika from the Lt. Kije Suite. It was dire but we were too polite to say anything to the players.

Aye... I know what you mean. I've been in a few situations like that myself where I would be practicing and people would ask me, "what is that a purely practice piece"? Not recognizing it was a popular or well known tune. Fortunately, these days when I practice solo most people can recognize what I am cranking out... (or should I say...trying to crank out)... LOL.

Oh as far as the orchestra having a lot of stuff on U-Tube, yeah, our conductor is also a prolific photographer/videographer. Abd he uploads everything, either to the web site or to U Tube.

HUGH
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM
It's good whatever my comments.

(Just now I'm surreptitiously playing some favourite opera items whilst the wife is in the sitting room with me and she hasn't complained. Normally she doesn't take to it!)

KK4AMI
12-29-2012, 08:40 PM
It's good whatever my comments.

(Just now I'm surreptitiously playing some favourite opera items whilst the wife is in the sitting room with me and she hasn't complained. Normally she doesn't take to it!)

"WARNING,WARNING,WARNING Will Robinson"! If the XYL is suddenly amenable to what she normally considers one of your bad habits, she is either half way through her evening toddy or she wants something from you. My wife didn't complain about my snoring one morning. That very day she suggested we go out and buy new bedroom furniture for "us"! :)