PDA

View Full Version : What Would The Sky ...

KG4CGC
12-23-2012, 10:24 PM
... look like if there were no terrestrial lights?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/465114_518375604850122_438626705_o1_zpsddd1190f.jp g

http://thierrycohen.com/

This photograph series by Thierry Cohen shows what our cities would look like at night if they had no lights at all.

To create the images he travelled to regions far away from all artificial light, but on the same latitude as major cities. He photographed the skies, and then combined those images with photographs of the cities in question, altered to remove all lighting.

N2CHX
12-23-2012, 10:41 PM
Very cool!

NQ6U
12-23-2012, 10:47 PM
This photograph series by Thierry Cohen shows what our cities would look like at night if they had no lights at all.

And our eyes were as sensitive as a long-exposure photograph.

NA4BH
12-23-2012, 10:48 PM
A lot of people would stub their toes in the dark.

KG4CGC
12-23-2012, 11:02 PM

There are parts of the world where you can still see the night sky like in the picture. Your eyes will adjust.

NQ6U
12-23-2012, 11:18 PM
There are parts of the world where you can still see the night sky like in the picture. Your eyes will adjust.

I can only speak from my own experience, of course, but I've lived pretty far off the grid, way out in the boondocks of southwestern Oregon and although the sky could be pretty spectacular on a clear, moonless night, I never witnessed anything as intense as that photograph.

N2CHX
12-23-2012, 11:52 PM
Reminds me of lying on the beach at Forked Lake in the Adirondacks about 12 years ago, looking up at the stars. That was the night I realized just how many man-made satellites there are flitting around up there. Kind of ruined the experience in a way, but the sky was beautiful.

X-Rated
12-24-2012, 12:28 AM
I have been to Logan County, Kansas. There was the only place I have seen stars on the edge of the horizon. We were far enough from any city that there were no terrestrial lights. It was awesome.

KG4CGC
12-24-2012, 01:28 AM
I can only speak from my own experience, of course, but I've lived pretty far off the grid, way out in the boondocks of southwestern Oregon and although the sky could be pretty spectacular on a clear, moonless night, I never witnessed anything as intense as that photograph.

OK. I have to base my comment on pictures I've seen from SA at night on the west coast of it.
Now then, enjoy the picture and quit being whinny. (bitch)

NQ6U
12-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Now then, enjoy the picture and quit being whinny.

I can't help it. It's my M.O. and you ought to know—you're the one that hung the title on me. You whore.

KG4CGC
12-24-2012, 01:35 AM
SPOTTED FUCKTARD!

NQ6U
12-24-2012, 11:15 AM
SPOTTED FUCKTARD!

No, it was something else.

XE1/N5AL
12-24-2012, 01:51 PM
Very true, our eyes don't have the integration time to see so many faint details. In the western U.S., there are still a lot of places where one encounters truly dark skies. When driving across country on a clear, moonless night, I will sometimes take a highway exit (to get away from car lights) and view the heavens. It's incredible when there are so many stars in the sky that it becomes difficult to identify the major constellations. People living close to a big city will never see such a view.

KG4CGC
12-24-2012, 04:04 PM
No, it was something else.

Dick Tracy?

n2ize
12-24-2012, 08:25 PM
It's very interesting how our eyes get adjusted to electric light. I have several old luminous radium watches dating back from the 1920's to the 1950's. Although all of them register on a Geiger counter none show any remaining glow in a dark room due to the deterioration of the activated zinc sulphide, So, while the radium is still quite good the paint no longer glows to the naked eye. Then we had the hurricane and subsequent 5-6 days with no electricity, no street lamps... just flashlights and oil lamps and candles. One night during the outage I was looking at one of my old luminous pocket watches and low...and behold... I could see it faintly shining after all these years. It appeared that over the days and nights with no electric lights my night vision was much sharper and I could actually see the very faint glow of the 50+ year old watch dials. It is amazing how conditioned our eyes are to modern bright electric light. Our eyes are capable of more than we realize.