PDA

View Full Version : Amish Mafia

KG4CGC
12-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Anyone watched this show yet? Is this real or is it another fabricated "reality" TV show?

KB3ZGV
12-20-2012, 12:16 AM
Looks fabricated to me

W5GA
12-20-2012, 12:21 AM
I've been watching avidly. While some appears contrived, I have no doubt that there's more than a kernel of truth involved. At the very least, it's more entertaining than the latest sitcom.

KG4CGC
12-20-2012, 12:28 AM
Cadillacs, Mercedes, super pick ups, supposed beatings of interlopers ... drunk parties, fighting matches, protection racket ... Jumping Jebus!
Oh and a twisted love story.

KB3ZGV
12-20-2012, 12:33 AM
Like if you were really doing that shit, you'd let somebody film it.

kb2vxa
12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
As many times I've been to the Amish country I've never seen one driving a car... reality? What on TV is real?

NQ6U
12-20-2012, 06:12 PM
Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Clipclopclipclopclipclop

(Amish Mafia drive-by hit SFX)

suddenseer
12-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop. Clip clop.

BANG! BANG! BANG!

Clipclopclipclopclipclop

(Amish Mafia drive-by hit SFX)Da Pope got the drop on me again, dammit!

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Back home, I lived in an area highly populated by Amish. Seems a bunch of BS to me.

N8YX
12-20-2012, 06:59 PM
On the northern edge of the little town of Wilmot, OH there once was a bar known as the Golden Buzz. The building remains but the establishment has long since closed its doors.

This is smack-dab in the middle of "-er" area. People familiar with the culture know exactly who and what I mean.

Though I never sampled its charms, I understand from a few patrons that the place was VERY popular with the rumspringa crowd, and that the girls were VERY willing Saturday night accomplices.

YMMV.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 07:01 PM
On the northern edge of the little town of Wilmot, OH there once was a bar known as the Golden Buzz. The building remains but the establishment has long since closed its doors.

This is smack-dab in the middle of "-er" area. People familiar with the culture know exactly who and what I mean.

Though I never sampled its charms, I understand from a few patrons that the place was VERY popular with the rumspringa crowd, and that the girls were VERY willing Saturday night accomplices.

YMMV.

During that period they are not obligated to follow their code of rules though.

N8YX
12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
During that period they are not obligated to follow their code of rules though.

One of my buds who hails from that area (Millersburg, actually) chose to continue not following the code, moved to Akron...took up the English ways.

He and I look a lot alike.

Dude is an absolutely fearless tower and structure climber. I swear he's part monkey.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 07:05 PM
One of my buds who hails from that area (Millersburg, actually) chose to continue not following the code, moved to Akron...took up the English ways.

Dude is an absolutely fearless tower and structure climber. I swear he's part monkey.

Lol.

K7SGJ
12-20-2012, 08:34 PM

Hmmmm. Let me see if I have this right. He looks a lot like you, and you swear he's part monkey. I have to ask, what part?

N8YX
12-20-2012, 08:42 PM
Hmmmm. Let me see if I have this right. He looks a lot like you, and you swear he's part monkey. I have to ask, what part?

The long legged, climbing part. We're both over 6 feet and tend towards a wiry build.

K7SGJ
12-20-2012, 08:45 PM
Good save. :clap:

W8XLR
12-20-2012, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg

KB3ZGV
12-20-2012, 09:07 PM
You know Jimmy Hoffa was Pa Dutch on his father's side although I'm not sure what sect.

There were some Amish around here running around with the Pagans a few years back.

But as far as the TV show goes, it's total scripted bullshit.

kb2vxa
12-21-2012, 10:28 PM
There are two, Amish and Mennonite but there's a lot more to PA Dutch than a couple of Christian sects. None are Dutch that I know of, that's a corruption of Deutch and they're not all German either, Poles, Ukrainian and Slavic are predominant. My mother's family is "Pennsylvania Dutch", mostly Sheperack and Skurda (Slavic) with a Sekulski (Polish) and his Schneider (German) wife for good measure. For what it's worth the food is Heaven on Earth with all those Old World recipes and if you're not into home canning the name to remember is Wos Wit.

I remember the Amish kid who got mixed up with the Pagans and got busted for trafficking drugs. Obviously once in a while one goes astray and not so isolated as it may seem with some running commercial establishments with all the modern stuff they mix with the "English" on a daily basis. The premise of them avoiding police involvement and settling matters through the church is true but as always TV "reality shows" are far from real life. Some are funny though, Operation Repo and clones are hysterical.

KB3ZGV
12-22-2012, 01:03 AM
You forgot "Church of The Brethren" or "Dunkards"

K7SGJ
12-23-2012, 11:31 PM
You forgot "Church of The Brethren" or "Dunkards"

Didn't they start AA?

NA4BH
12-23-2012, 11:33 PM
Didn't they start AA?

Amish Airlines?

http://www.jokedujour.com/fly/amish_air.jpg

K7SGJ
12-23-2012, 11:35 PM
Amish Airlines?

http://www.jokedujour.com/fly/amish_air.jpg

Whoa, that's gonna leave a mark.

NQ6U
12-23-2012, 11:37 PM
Whoa, that's gonna leave a mark.

More like a grease spot.

N2CHX
12-23-2012, 11:38 PM
Worst "reality" show ever. Saw it on Hulu last week and decided to watch an episode just because it seemed so unbelievable. Obviously, Americans will believe and watch anything. This crap is so bad it doesn't even merit a South Park parody.

KG4CGC
12-24-2012, 01:41 AM
Worst "reality" show ever. Saw it on Hulu last week and decided to watch an episode just because it seemed so unbelievable. Obviously, Americans will believe and watch anything. This crap is so bad it doesn't even merit a South Park parody.

I've seen worse. South Beach Tow and Lizard Lick Repo and way worse.

NY3V
12-24-2012, 02:34 PM
I've seen worse. South Beach Tow and Lizard Lick Repo and way worse.

You left out NASCAR! ;)

N8YX
12-24-2012, 02:45 PM
You left out NASCAR! ;)

'GPL might take exception to that remark...

kb2vxa
12-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Lizard Lick has its moments, Ron comes up with some cool "southernisms" but he really needs to change his barber. I wonder, are they insured by Geico?

KG4CGC
01-02-2013, 11:17 PM
OK. I'm convinced that the show is 100% fake. Even the bad acting is so bad that we are to believe that this is how the Amish talk.

NQ6U
01-02-2013, 11:25 PM
OK. I'm convinced that the show is 100% fake. Even the bad acting is so bad that we are to believe that this is how the Amish talk.

And since the Amish don't watch TV, there's no one to call "bullshit!"

You've got to hand it to the producers, it's a pretty clever idea.

K6CPO
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Anyone watched this show yet? Is this real or is it another fabricated "reality" TV show?

I haven't watched it, but it's most likely scripted BS, just like the rest of "reality" television.

You want reality? Set your cameras up in my house. I promise you'll be bored to tears in short order...

KG4CGC
04-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Recap. The show was real and the crimes are real but they really are as stupid as they seem if they are going to go thuglife out in the open.

http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2014/04/amish_mafia_reca_season_3_fina.html

Although I have to say, there are a lot of sick people in the Amish world. More per capita, it would seem, than the "English" world. Could this be as a result of inbreeding?

Could the Amish be a blight on America? We have to blame someone. Let's blame the Amish and move past all of our other prejudices towards Arabs, Mexicans and African Americans. (oh and gay Arabs too. didn't mean to leave them out)

kb2vxa
04-10-2014, 12:44 AM
KG4CGC:
"Even the bad acting is so bad that we are to believe that this is how the Amish talk."

I admit to watching an episode to find out what an Amish Mafia could possibly be and was amazed at the lack of the regional Pennsylvania Dutch accent and peculiar expressions I'm so familiar with. While not Amish my mother's family being from "the Dutch country", her brother Glen in particular had the accent and used those expressions frequently. Mom lost hers from living in New Jersey since she was 19. The Amish have their ways to "remove the evil from among you" by shunning, and in severe cases by banishing sinners. So what need or use do they have for police or a Mafia?

That "Mafia" is clearly evil and has no place among the Amish or in ANY society, so knowing their customs so well I authoritatively call BS on this one. Right, the producers surely did come up with a good idea of entertainment with no real Amish to say they're full of donkey dust. They came up with another great idea, a promotional gimmick disguised as an interview complete with film clips on channel 13 (NY) last night. They overstepped the line following Levi and a couple of others around and feared for their lives? Cummon fellas, that's the camera crew's JOB, if they didn't follow them around you wouldn't have a show!

Bottom line here: the show is a sick joke but the "interview" was more fun than a barrel full of monkeys!

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 12:48 AM
Did you see, "Breaking Amish"?

W3WN
04-10-2014, 07:17 AM
Sorry. It's BS.

W5BRM
04-10-2014, 07:47 AM

What is that about? An Amish guy gets a bit sick and becomes an illegal wood furniture and cheese manufacturing kingpin?

KC2UGV
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM

Yes, and it broke my spirit when I found out it too, is contrived.

NQ6U
04-10-2014, 11:50 AM
What is that about? An Amish guy gets a bit sick and becomes an illegal wood furniture and cheese manufacturing kingpin?

No, he becomes a kingpin in the clandestine Amish button manufacturing demimonde.

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Yes, and it broke my spirit when I found out it too, is contrived.

Corey, if it's on TV or the internet, it's true.

KG4CGC
04-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Sorry. It's BS.

Their arrests would be a matter of public record. Where to look? Where to look?