PDA

View Full Version : So, xmas gifts.

KB3LAZ
12-19-2012, 07:28 PM
So I went shopping for an xmas gift for my wife for the first time as it is our first xmas together as a married couple. Anyway, my wife is not a fan of expensive gifts but that is what she got. Well, semi expensive. However, I have a good feel for her subtle hints and we passed a store three times and each time she pointed out this purse. I have never heard of the brand but it seems to be posh and all the rage here in Spain. Bimba y Lola or something of that nature.

Anyway, the purse was roundabout 100USD but I also got the matching wallet, change purse, and makeup bag. That set me back another 100$.

Now the question is, will I get zinged because I spent more than she desired me to for gifts or will I be okay because it was something she obviously wanted. Or, a little of both?

Anyway, what did everyone else get their better halves for xmas?

K7SGJ
12-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Don't worry about it, she'll love it. She probably got you a new radio, antenna, and tower. It all works out in the end.

As for us, my wife and I haven't really exchanged gifts since the kids were born. We do exchange some little stuff, but nothing big. As a rule, we usually end up doing something during the year that we call "our gift" to each other. I just finished up remodeling the kitchen, all the but back splash and painting, that is. New cabinets, appliances, counter tops, sink, the whole magilla. That is our Christmas gift to each other for the next several years. You'll understand when you have a few little crumb crushers running around.

KC2UGV
12-19-2012, 07:43 PM
We don't generally even ask how much gifts were. We set an upper limit that we budget out, but that's it. Whatever money I tuck away on my own, for my own projects, I can use. No hard feelings on anyone's end.

KB3LAZ
12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
We don't generally even ask how much gifts were. We set an upper limit that we budget out, but that's it. Whatever money I tuck away on my own, for my own projects, I can use. No hard feelings on anyone's end.

We wont ask cost either but brand alone will speak to the price, lol.

Though, speaking of gifts. I got my MIL and SIL a pair of boots that have a stocking around them and they are filled with candy. :P The kind of cute thing they will like. I also got my MIL a spa pass and my SIL a Star Wars Flash Drive collection. She will get her nerd on with that.

KB3LAZ
12-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Don't worry about it, she'll love it. She probably got you a new radio, antenna, and tower. It all works out in the end.

As for us, my wife and I haven't really exchanged gifts since the kids were born. We do exchange some little stuff, but nothing big. As a rule, we usually end up doing something during the year that we call "our gift" to each other. I just finished up remodeling the kitchen, all the but back splash and painting, that is. New cabinets, appliances, counter tops, sink, the whole magilla. That is our Christmas gift to each other for the next several years. You'll understand when you have a few little crumb crushers running around.

Nope, I have a good feeling I know what she got me.

As for the home projects and such being gifts, I understand. My parents do that. Somehow, I always get sucked into those projects though.

K7SGJ
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Nope, I have a good feeling I know what she got me.

As for the home projects and such being gifts, I understand. My parents do that. Somehow, I always get sucked into those projects though.

Yeah, but it sure beats the malls and dealing with all the assholes on the road.

N8GAV
12-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Wife and I get each other just small stuff nothing big. We go all out for the grandkids, and get our kids something they like to wear hoodies, college sweats, etc. She asked me the other day IF I wanted anything this year I said a divorce, that just pissed her off so don't look like I will be getting that this year.

N2CHX
12-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Oooh, if she's been hinting at it, she'll adore it. I wouldn't worry at all.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 06:43 AM
Wife and I get each other just small stuff nothing big. We go all out for the grandkids, and get our kids something they like to wear hoodies, college sweats, etc. She asked me the other day IF I wanted anything this year I said a divorce, that just pissed her off so don't look like I will be getting that this year.

But I dont have kids or grandchildren yet.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Oooh, if she's been hinting at it, she'll adore it. I wouldn't worry at all.

That is what I figure as well. However, she is and has never been into expensive gifting. I suppose that is largely due to our different countries of birth and upbringings. I am used to giving either one big gift or a load of small ones. Mind you I grew up as an only child.

Though...Ive seen the gifts her mother buys her, her sister, and I. They are not cheap, lol. So, it may just be a personal thing.

That aside, when she sees the purse, I think she will forgive me going over the budget 100% lol. Budget was 100€ and I spent roundabout 200€....I wanted to get her a new PC which she has been griping about for some time now but at 6-7x the budget...Heh, Ill not risk that one. :D

Hell, the only reason we have set a budget is because our preparation to move. I figure after paperwork, tickets, etc total invested to get back to the states this summer will be around 5-7k€.

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
She sounds like a really sweet girl. BTW, I can't figure out why you want to come back here, lol.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 07:08 AM
She sounds like a really sweet girl. BTW, I can't figure out why you want to come back here, lol.

Eh, I dont much care one way or the other. She wants to give the US a go for a few years before we decide where we want to put up stakes.

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 07:18 AM
Eh, I dont much care one way or the other. She wants to give the US a go for a few years before we decide where we want to put up stakes.

That's cool. I'm just biased because I've lived here my whole life and want to see the world. I've only seen a small part of it, really.

N7YA
12-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Anyway, what did everyone else get their better halves for xmas?

Socks. Underwear...regular kind. A bag of biscotti. A book.

Oh, and a magazine subscription that wont arrive for another 4 months. Our heater is broken, so we bought our own christmas present, a couple of space heaters because its in the 20's outside right now.

N7YA
12-20-2012, 07:27 AM

Careful coming back in, Trav. If you move here for even a couple of years, once this place completely goes to shit, you wont be able to get into any other country because nobody will want our sorry immigrant asses.

Dual citizenship is the way to go! :agree:

N2CHX
Socks. Underwear...regular kind. A bag of biscotti. A book.

Oh, and a magazine subscription that wont arrive for another 4 months. Our heater is broken, so we bought our own christmas present, a couple of space heaters because its in the 20's outside right now.

Wow, it's warmer in Buffalo than it is in Vegas? WTF?

KB3LAZ
That's cool. I'm just biased because I've lived here my whole life and want to see the world. I've only seen a small part of it, really.

Well, much like everywhere, there are pros and cons. Sustaining a livable income here is rather complex without having a lot of luck. In fact, the only reason I have a job is because I am a native American English speaker. Something that is appealing to English Speech training academies. I work 20 hours a week and make as much as my wife who works 50 hours a week.

So, average pay in my area is 800€ a month and rent is 500-600€ a month. Top that with the fact that most jobs are hiring for only part time work and you are looking at 400€ a month. I got lucky as I said and make right around 1000€ a month before incentives and only work 20 hours a week. (Hell of a difference from the 3500+ OT I made in the states, lol.)

Though, if we were staying long term, I would work for myself. Can go to the local campus and sell conversation classes for 30€ an hour per person. One on one is normal. Could make some good money that way.

Anyway, I know it sounds odd due to the times but it is more financially stable in the US.

N7YA
12-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Wow, it's warmer in Buffalo than it is in Vegas? WTF?

They are lower than we are...elevation speaking, of course. :)

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 07:44 AM
Careful coming back in, Trav. If you move here for even a couple of years, once this place completely goes to shit, you wont be able to get into any other country because nobody will want our sorry immigrant asses.

Dual citizenship is the way to go! :agree:

No need. Unlike with the US my permission to leave this country while a resident will be good for years at a time rather than weeks. Which means I can come back and renew to my perma residence status. All good.

N8YX
12-20-2012, 07:59 AM
We rarely buy each other anything for holidays or birthdays, Rather, it's whim-shopping throughout the entire year.

Birthdays and anniversaries get a nice dinner or social event, though.

W3WN
12-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Nah, you won't get zinged. You might get a perfunctory "you shouldn't have" but that's just for show.

The boss got me a Dewalt circular saw and jig saw. Yeah, I know, romantic. Now that the deck's done, I needed to replace them (old jig saw broke, old circular saw died) so that I can continue building her stuff.

We went to Macy's the other night; she insists I have no taste for women's clothes (she's right) and that if I picked it out, even with help, it would be too tight (right again, and her point is? *ahem* ). So it worked out that my "present" was to pay her Macy's credit card bill -- $100, well over the minimum due. Now, that meant that she could buy slacks, sweaters, and blouses... and charge them. By doing it that way, between sales and promotions, she got 60 - 75% off listed retail, AND an extra 15% off for charging it. So she got almost $200 worth of clothing for just over... $100.

So I bought them for her. In a round-about way.

W3WN
12-20-2012, 08:48 AM
But I dont have kids or grandchildren yet.You sure about that?

[ / wisecrack ]

VE3FMC
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
I did something different for my Christmas shopping for my wife this year. She wanted an old china cabinet from a store that refinishes old furniture with chalk paint.

My daughter told me about it. So I go to the store and the one my wife wanted was sold (my daughter checked) But there was two other cabinets there. So I figured before I spent $400 (and hauled that thing home and likely could not return it if my wife didn't like it) I took my wife to the store. Well she loved one of the cabinets, it was $375 plus taxes. But right beside it was a matching sideboard cupboard for $475.

She wanted both units. So I asked the owner if she would give me a deal if I bought both units. She took $150 off the prices. So now both of the cabinets are sitting in the living room. I went from spending $400 to spending $800.

Lesson learned, do not take the wife to look at something like that in the future! But she is happy and I wrapped up the Christmas shopping in one stop. :-D

NQ6U
12-20-2012, 10:20 AM
I'm giving the XYL a mid-level Kindle, just an e-reader, not the full-on tablet. She's hinted that she'd like one, but my motives are not entirely selfless—she likes to read in bed before she goes to sleep which means I have to try to get to sleep with a light on. This Kindle is backlit.

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 10:50 AM
We rarely buy each other anything for holidays or birthdays, Rather, it's whim-shopping throughout the entire year.

Birthdays and anniversaries get a nice dinner or social event, though.

My husband never buys me anything. He thinks all holidays, including Valentines day, are fabrications of industry to get you to spend money. I don't even get a dinner on Valentines Day. Yeah, I married an idiot. That's OK though, because he doesn't get laid either.

W3WN
12-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Some holidays ARE fabrications of industry. Others started with more noble or loftier purposes, which have been obscured or absconded by industry.

But that's not excuse to totally ignore ALL of the holidays.

And I'm going to stop right there before I say something that will get your hubby into hot water. I don't want him coming after me for saying anything!

VE3FMC
12-20-2012, 11:12 AM
My husband never buys me anything. He thinks all holidays, including Valentines day, are fabrications of industry to get you to spend money. I don't even get a dinner on Valentines Day. Yeah, I married an idiot. That's OK though, because he doesn't get laid either.

OUCH :snicker: Apparently your hubby has not heard the phrase "Happy wife, happy life" ;) I learned that long before I got married and it has worked for the past 30 years!

KC2UGV
12-20-2012, 11:14 AM

I tend to see them [Holidays] as excuses to treat the wife and kids.

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Some holidays ARE fabrications of industry. Others started with more noble or loftier purposes, which have been obscured or absconded by industry.

But that's not excuse to totally ignore ALL of the holidays.

And I'm going to stop right there before I say something that will get your hubby into hot water. I don't want him coming after me for saying anything!

OUCH :snicker: Apparently your hubby has not heard the phrase "Happy wife, happy life" ;) I learned that long before I got married and it has worked for the past 30 years!

Oh, don't even get me started. This marriage was definitely among the more stupid things I've done with my life. I was happily single. Quite happily single. Had no interest in marriage or a relationship. I wouldn't even be married if it weren't for his Mom. I love her to death. But I understand now why she pawned him off on me.

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 11:43 AM
I tend to see them [Holidays] as excuses to treat the wife and kids.

Yeah do me a favor and teach Dan a thing or two, will you?

KC2UGV
12-20-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah do me a favor and teach Dan a thing or two, will you?

Something about leading a horse to water comes to mind, but I could try?

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Something about leading a horse to water comes to mind, but I could try?

Wait until Valentines Day. He might actually have money then. I can give him a pass this year, he's broke.

N8YX
12-20-2012, 01:48 PM

Two thoughts come to mind:

1) So much for Eddie's favorite line;

2) How can you be so sure?

:snicker:

WX7P
12-20-2012, 02:36 PM
Oh, don't even get me started. This marriage was definitely among the more stupid things I've done with my life. I was happily single. Quite happily single. Had no interest in marriage or a relationship. I wouldn't even be married if it weren't for his Mom. I love her to death. But I understand now why she pawned him off on me.

EEyuk! Sounds like two of my previous relationships, Brand eX #1 and a rebound relationship after Brand eX #2 left. Couldn't get out of those situations fast enough. Both of them are now making someone else miserable.

Just for the hell of it, I googled Brand eX #1 recently and found that person hadn't changed one little bit in 30 years. The profile page at the Health Care provider where that person is the Director of Optometry (yep, I paid for that...) is a real hoot. Lots of self serving bullshit and re-writing of history. Incredibly bright person (3.8 GPA in Biochemistry at Cal) but pretty clueless on most other things. Some people never figure it out.

The other one is holed up in Petaluma, CA with the worthless 28 year old perpetual JC student daughter and makes quilts all day. No ambition to do one fucking thing except to simply exist. I just don't get it.

N8GAV
12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
But I dont have kids or grandchildren yet.

That day may come Travis, then you will see what I mean. Watching them on Christmas morning will make you smile :) My son called me and asked if I needed anything since I went back to college, I told him I would like a pull-a-long bag to put my books and computer in, lugging that bookbag around and walking with a cane is tricky at times, so we will see. Your wife will like your gift, and will remember it for years to come.

K7SGJ
12-20-2012, 08:56 PM
I'm giving the XYL a mid-level Kindle, just an e-reader, not the full-on tablet. She's hinted that she'd like one, but my motives are not entirely selfless—she likes to read in bed before she goes to sleep which means I have to try to get to sleep with a light on. This Kindle is backlit.

Be sure to get on Amazons "daily deal" list for kindle books. We bought a bunch of really good ones over the year for 99 cents. (and a few bad ones, too) If you are a Prime member, you can borrow one book a month for free, as well. Plus, there is a shit ton of free stuff out there, too, if you like some of the classics and such.

By the way, that's the way it's done, go to sleep with a light on, wake up with a hard on.

kf0rt
12-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Bought the XYL a new sewing machine as a combo birthday/Christmas present this year. She's hyped and has already signed up for classes. This replaces a Monkey Wards machine I got her just after we got married (1978 ). Bernina 550QE -- it's like buying an IC-7600 for yer wife. She damned sure earned it this year (and I couldn't pass on the employee discount).

"Old fuck" stuff.

Oh and numerology... Wife's birthday was 12/12/12. Born in '56 and is 56 this year. Don't let her know I told ya that, k?

K7SGJ
12-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Bought the XYL a new sewing machine as a combo birthday/Christmas present this year. She's hyped and has already signed up for classes. This replaces a Monkey Wards machine I got her just after we got married (1978 ). Bernina 550QE -- it's like buying an IC-7600 for yer wife. She damned sure earned it this year (and I couldn't pass on the employee discount).

"Old fuck" stuff.

Oh and numerology... Wife's birthday was 12/12/12. Born in '56 and is 56 this year. Don't let her know I told ya that, k?

Tell her Happy Birthday, and see if she wants to make me a pinstripe suit, 36 R with her new machine. I'll be glad to supply the pinstripe thread.

kf0rt
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Tell her Happy Birthday, and see if she wants to make me a pinstripe suit, 36 R with her new machine. I'll be glad to supply the pinstripe thread.

She's more into quilting stuff. And I'm not quite sure I can see you in a pinstripe suit. Want some cool embroidery?

K7SGJ
12-23-2012, 10:49 PM
She's more into quilting stuff. And I'm not quite sure I can see you in a pinstripe suit. Want some cool embroidery?

I'd settle for a quilted suit. Maybe something flowery?

NA4BH
12-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Quilted seersucker, You'd look dashing. I'm quite sure.

K7SGJ
12-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Quilted seersucker, You'd look dashing. I'm quite sure.

I don't know about the look part, but with all the rednecks out here, I'm sure I'll be dashing, just to stay alive. And who you calling a sucker, bitch?

VK3ZL
12-24-2012, 05:47 AM
Gidday all...It is Christmas Eve here, only three more hours to Christmas day...Jeannie and I decided to go to town today to look at the crowds of shoppers and perhaps find something more for the stocking..I have been getting hints for a while from Jeannie to look for two good quality sharp knives to use in the kitchen...When you get as old as us you find that all the old knives we have been using for 60 years have long passed their use by date..Well we were lucky..Found a shop that deals in all sorts of goodies from nails, farm clothing, tools and everything useful you can possibly think of...On inquiry the shopkeeper said we had come to the right place and he was a retired butcher...He took us out back of the shop and opened a cupboard with the greatest collection of knives for all purposes in the kitchen and on the farm...Now this stuff was real quality, made from real steel and every shape and size you can think of...Well Jeannie spent an hour going through this stuff and eventually found two really beautiful knives, one for general cutting and chopping and the other for cutting up vegetables etc....These knives both have real rosewood handles, beautifully balanced and robust...So I was able to grant Jeannies wishes and added a pair of new garden cutters to top it off...Well, that was $200 but a very happy XYL..

Next stop was a shop that sells medical aids for crippled up old farts like me, you know, bed pans, commode chairs etc..Jeannie got the shopkeeper to show me his range of walking sticks and I finally settled on one that was light and strong but felt comfortable..So I am now proudly walking around with this dangerous weapon that I can wave around frightening the populous and if someone gives me cheek I can give them a good poke from three feet away...When we got home with other sundry things including a large Turkey ready to cook I was ambushed and presented with a new 18 volt battery drill...First time I have had one..I can now see myself hobbling around my front antenna paddock, that's where the 160 meter antennas are, 1 acre BTW, waving this drill around fixing antennas and frightening the sheep with my walking stick..No, my sheep are not the New Zealand type...I'm gonna have fun though..

Nearly time to have my shower and go to bed before Santa comes...Jeannie said that she had another present for me tomorrow morning...I am hoping she will wake up feeling a little cocky..I may have to fend her off with the walking stick...:snicker:

Ok you lot, have a great Christmas day...

Bob..VK3ZL..

kf0rt
12-24-2012, 06:24 AM

You'd look dapper, that's for sure.

http://jaypho.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/doncherry5.jpg?w=333&h=400

kf0rt
12-24-2012, 06:30 AM
Gidday all...It is Christmas Eve here, only three more hours to Christmas day...Jeannie and I decided to go to town today to look at the crowds of shoppers and perhaps find something more for the stocking..I have been getting hints for a while from Jeannie to look for two good quality sharp knives to use in the kitchen...When you get as old as us you find that all the old knives we have been using for 60 years have long passed their use by date..Well we were lucky..Found a shop that deals in all sorts of goodies from nails, farm clothing, tools and everything useful you can possibly think of...On inquiry the shopkeeper said we had come to the right place and he was a retired butcher...He took us out back of the shop and opened a cupboard with the greatest collection of knives for all purposes in the kitchen and on the farm...Now this stuff was real quality, made from real steel and every shape and size you can think of...Well Jeannie spent an hour going through this stuff and eventually found two really beautiful knives, one for general cutting and chopping and the other for cutting up vegetables etc....These knives both have real rosewood handles, beautifully balanced and robust...So I was able to grant Jeannies wishes and added a pair of new garden cutters to top it off...Well, that was $200 but a very happy XYL..

Next stop was a shop that sells medical aids for crippled up old farts like me, you know, bed pans, commode chairs etc..Jeannie got the shopkeeper to show me his range of walking sticks and I finally settled on one that was light and strong but felt comfortable..So I am now proudly walking around with this dangerous weapon that I can wave around frightening the populous and if someone gives me cheek I can give them a good poke from three feet away...When we got home with other sundry things including a large Turkey ready to cook I was ambushed and presented with a new 18 volt battery drill...First time I have had one..I can now see myself hobbling around my front antenna paddock, that's where the 160 meter antennas are, 1 acre BTW, waving this drill around fixing antennas and frightening the sheep with my walking stick..No, my sheep are not the New Zealand type...I'm gonna have fun though..

Nearly time to have my shower and go to bed before Santa comes...Jeannie said that she had another present for me tomorrow morning...I am hoping she will wake up feeling a little cocky..I may have to fend her off with the walking stick...:snicker:

Ok you lot, have a great Christmas day...

Bob..VK3ZL..

Great story Bob, and you know the epitome is having a walking stick to wave as you yell "get off my lawn!"

Have a great Christmas (4:30 AM Christmas Eve here).

kb2vxa
12-24-2012, 05:39 PM
"...I am hoping she will wake up feeling a little cocky.."

You're the one with a little cocky so just take it from Genya Ravan (Ten Wheel Drive) and go for it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLi7xqDHehY

NA4BH
12-24-2012, 05:52 PM
COCKY

http://m3.i.pbase.com/g3/17/606817/2/102503233.dKMIsTqO.jpg

NQ6U
12-24-2012, 05:57 PM
I can now see myself hobbling around my front antenna paddock, that's where the 160 meter antennas are, 1 acre BTW, waving this drill around fixing antennas and frightening the sheep with my walking stick.

Around here, it's normally the sound of a zipper that frightens the sheep. Ask Eddie.

NQ6U
12-25-2012, 12:46 AM

Gave her the Kindle this evening—she hated it. Not only that, she gave me the impression that it was the stupidest idea I'd ever come up with. Shit.

Thought about returning it but, what the fuck, I'll just keep it for myself.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Gave her the Kindle this evening—she hated it. Not only that, she gave me the impression that it was the stupidest idea I'd ever come up with. Shit.

Sorry to hear that. Get her an iPOD if she doesn't have one.

Oatmeal is always a good gift.

NQ6U
12-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Sorry to hear that. Get her an iPOD if she doesn't have one.

She's got an iPhone.

Oatmeal is always a good gift.

Hah. After the way she treated me this evening, next Christmas I'm going to buy her a pair of dish washing gloves. Maybe an ironing board, if she's lucky.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 01:09 AM
The gloves might be a bad idea. She can lube them up and do some mining in your "man cave".

My heart goes out to you. Take her and the "gift" to the store, return it and let her pick out what she wants. I've been in your shoes and there is no good way out.

NQ6U
12-25-2012, 01:12 AM
The gloves might be a bad idea. She can lube them up and do some mining in your "man cave".

My heart goes out to you. Take her and the "gift" to the store, return it and let her pick out what she wants. I've been in your shoes and there is no good way out.

I'm gonna keep the Kindle, I've been playing with the thing and rather like it. It would be useful for keeping PDF copies of equipment manuals among other things. I might take her to the store and let her pick out something, or I might not. I'm not feeling particularly giving right at the moment; that may resolve itself over time. Or, it might not. As much as I love that woman, she can be extremely...ungracious sometimes.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 01:21 AM
We must be married to the same woman. My advice is to suck it up, even though the gift wasn't the one that would get you laid tonight. You put a lot of thought into it and she doesn't realize that. Bandage your wounds up and take her shopping.

VK3ZL
12-25-2012, 01:45 AM
First photo for a couple of years....Geez I am getting old, fat and pretty grumpy looking...Jeannie and I drove down to Portland, 55 miles, and took a picnic Christmas dinner to enjoy in the city gardens..So my new avatar is the current me, new walking stick and all..The temperature was 24C in the gardens and we enjoyed our Turkey, smoked Ham and home made coleslaw..It was delicious...Home again now and a bit of Christmas pudding and icecream for the evening meal...

Portland gardens were established in 1862..They have a full time curator and staff..The gardens are really beautiful with a mostly European flavor...Many of the trees are 150 years old and the curators cottage is completely original and well looked after..I sneaked another pic to show you all..

In all we have had a really nice Christmas day..

Bob..VK3ZL..

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 01:50 AM
Beautiful

n6hcm
12-25-2012, 02:43 AM

has an iphone ... ipad mini would have worked well (unless she hates her iphone).

KG4CGC
12-25-2012, 04:21 AM
The days here are getting longer and Spring is on the way!

KB3LAZ
12-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Well, Pili liked her gift. I got a few things. A new leather briefcase for work, some warm slippers (much needed as we have tile floors), a book, and Pili´s mom got us some kind of wine with gold flecks in it. o0 My parents sent me a care package and also put money in the bank for Pili and I to get our own gifts, lol.

Good morning and Merry Xmas to all.

kf0rt
12-25-2012, 07:31 AM

That blows. Somebody who doesn't like the Kindle?

K7SGJ
12-25-2012, 11:06 AM

I got the same response from my wife when I gave her a Kindle a few years back. It took a few months, but she finally came around and now she loves it. It seems to be a hard segue, especially for women, to go from a hold it in your hand book, to an E reader. I bought a first gen Fire for myself, and did just like you said, and I keep all my service info on it. It's nice when I'm working on a radio or the tractor to have the service info handy.

kf0rt
12-25-2012, 03:34 PM
I bought a Fire on pre-order when they first came out. Wife got her hands on it and I had to buy another one for myself. She reads a lot and just loves the Kindle. They're great portable PDF readers -- I keep all my camera manuals on mine.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 10:41 PM
I got the wife a new frying pan and a mop.

They used staples to suture up my head, but on the bright side the blood has been mopped up and the floor is clean.

N2CHX
12-25-2012, 10:46 PM
I got the same response from my wife when I gave her a Kindle a few years back. It took a few months, but she finally came around and now she loves it. It seems to be a hard segue, especially for women, to go from a hold it in your hand book, to an E reader. I bought a first gen Fire for myself, and did just like you said, and I keep all my service info on it. It's nice when I'm working on a radio or the tractor to have the service info handy.

Dan has had a Nook for a couple of years. I downloaded a couple of ebooks onto my tablet with a B&N gift card I've had forever. It's OK, but I do like a physical book in my hand. Speaking of that, that was the one and only Christmas gift I got this year. A book of ghost stories from Dan's nephew, who knows exactly what I like.

W3WN
12-25-2012, 10:51 PM

Thought about returning it but, what the fuck, I'll just keep it for myself.Sounds like my first wife. One year, she dropped a lot of hints that she wanted a new cross to replace the one she used to wear (I have GOT to stop marrying shiksas), so I went out and got her one.

Two days before Christmas, she insists on an early present exchange. She hated it. What she was hinting at, she told me, was that she wanted the old one repaired, not replaced... even though every jewler I'd talked to said it couldn't be done. And it wasn't romantic. So the day before Christmas Eve, I'm fighting for a parking place at the mall, the fighting the crowds, to return the cross and get her some nice blouses, which she'd conveniently already picked out.

Same year, she gave me a desk. Yeah, romantic. Sure. (She kept the desk when we split, incidentally.)

N7YA
12-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I got the wife a new frying pan and a mop.

They used staples to suture up my head, but on the bright side the blood has been mopped up and the floor is clean.

Next year....Nerf football!

W3WN
12-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Dan has had a Nook for a couple of years. I downloaded a couple of ebooks onto my tablet with a B&N gift card I've had forever. It's OK, but I do like a physical book in my hand. Speaking of that, that was the one and only Christmas gift I got this year. A book of ghost stories from Dan's nephew, who knows exactly what I like.My mother-in-law told me she didn't know what to get me, so she got me a $50 gift card to Home Depot.

Funny thing is, when asked, my father-in-law wanted a $50 gift card to... Home Depot. Which (he said) my m-i-l didn't know.

N2CHX
12-25-2012, 11:01 PM
All I can say is, you guys must have married some bitches. I can't say I've never been disappointed with a gift, but I would never hate something that someone took the time, effort and money to buy me, especially not to the point of showing contempt for it. The only exception to that would be if I knew for a fact the gift that was bought was bought specifically to disappoint me for the express purpose of being an asshole. I can't say I've ever had that happen. Of course, mine just doesn't buy anything, although he has promised me a new pair of boots from an after-Christmas sale. We'll see if this happens or not.

N2CHX
12-25-2012, 11:04 PM
My mother-in-law told me she didn't know what to get me, so she got me a $50 gift card to Home Depot.

Funny thing is, when asked, my father-in-law wanted a $50 gift card to... Home Depot. Which (he said) my m-i-l didn't know.

When all else fails, a gift card works. Gift card exchanges: It's like getting a license to spend money you wouldn't normally spend on yourself lol.

N7YA
12-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Honestly, between my wife and i...we dont care what we get eachother. We just play christmas because its fun, as well as being a Pagan holiday, and we are pagans.

My wife got me a shitload of books...couldnt be happier. :)

K7SGJ
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Honestly, between my wife and i...we dont care what we get eachother. We just play christmas because its fun, as well as being a Pagan holiday, and we are pagans.

Can you see over the steering wheel now?

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 11:19 PM
Actually our present to each other was the trip to Las Vegas. She did get an iPOD in addition.

NA4BH
12-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Not until he gets the foam cushion for his birthday. :rofl:

N7YA
12-25-2012, 11:22 PM

Not yet....i think a couple of 2012 calendars should do the trick.

N2CHX
12-25-2012, 11:24 PM

That's cool. Books are what I usually do as well. I lived in Borders when it was still around. One time I got my sister's (now ex) BF a book called Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. It was a book of stories from troops stationed in the middle east. I got to watch a grown man cry when he opened that one. Both his sons were in the middle east at the time, and that book has been front and center on his bookshelf ever since. He and I still talk and are still friends, even though she broke up with him over two years ago.

n2ize
12-27-2012, 04:35 PM

yes, but by living here in the USA you saw the best of it. The USA is the greatest country in the world !!

n2ize
12-27-2012, 04:38 PM
I bought a Fire on pre-order when they first came out.

Shucks, these days you have to buy a fire ? In the old days you wanted a fire it was free You'd just grab yourself some wood and some dry kindling and you'd make one. Yep, we used to make our own fire's.

NA4BH
12-27-2012, 04:45 PM
You said "Grab yourself some wood"

:rofl:

X-Rated
12-27-2012, 04:55 PM
You said "Grab yourself some wood"

:rofl:

He's also trying to use a USB microphone on LSB.

KK4AMI
12-27-2012, 05:58 PM
My flu kinda shot our Xmas, but bless the XYL she did some last minute shopping and got me flannel PJs, Ibuprofen and Kaopectate. She really does luv me. snif. I'm better now and 6 lbs lighter!

wa6mhz
12-27-2012, 06:15 PM
The best way to get the Christmas gift you really want is to BUY IT YOURSELF!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8496/8300960005_2992017507.jpg

However, I did give a very nice gift to another Ham I know. He has been needing a KW tuner for quite awhile, and since I got a MFJ-988 autotuner, I retired my Drake MN2700. Just sent it off to him by Fedex. He will be very tickled to have it.

VE3FMC
12-27-2012, 06:29 PM

Santa should have brought you some balls so you would have the balls to tell Sister Mary Egg Roll that you bought that FTdx-5000MP. :-D

wa6mhz
12-27-2012, 06:43 PM
And that I got it at a garage sale for $60!

N7YA
12-27-2012, 07:03 PM
Hell, ill donate a chair myself!

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 07:16 PM

However, I did give a very nice gift to another Ham I know. He has been needing a KW tuner for quite awhile, and since I got a MFJ-988 autotuner, I retired my Drake MN2700. Just sent it off to him by Fedex. He will be very tickled to have it.

You ever going to take the whitewalls off'n that Fleetwood, Pat?

KK4AMI
12-27-2012, 07:22 PM

Can't blame him. If I had an outfit like that, I'd keep the drool guards up. It would take me at least a year to quit drooling on it.

kf0rt
12-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Can't blame him. If I had an outfit like that, I'd keep the drool guards up. It would take me at least a year to quit drooling on it.

Got a point there, I suppose.

WØTKX
12-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Actually, plastic covered furniture might help with the cats...

wa6mhz
12-28-2012, 10:33 AM
If the cats so much as lay a CLAW on that radio, they are getting turned into a VIOLIN!

KC2UGV
12-28-2012, 10:40 AM
The wifey here paid attention to what I've been drooling over the past few months. I've gotten this thing for retro-looking radio stuff. I was drooling over a couple of Crossley units at Target. The wife did a one-up, and got me this instead:
http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=34

Listening to it, I'm just like "WOW"... Audio reproduction is out of this world!

W3WN
12-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Nice. Very nice!

W3WN
12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
< snip >
However, I did give a very nice gift to another Ham I know. He has been needing a KW tuner for quite awhile, and since I got a MFJ-988 autotuner, I retired my Drake MN2700. Just sent it off to him by Fedex. He will be very tickled to have it.If you have another MN -2700 or similar era KW-power tuner to spare, send me a PM (no rush).

Of course, a contribution towards the CC bill can be arranged. I'll even throw in some Top Ramen!

...actually, I need to take a few evenings and put together my tuner project. When I'm going to get a few evenings to do so is the issue right now...

N2CHX
12-28-2012, 11:52 AM
The wifey here paid attention to what I've been drooling over the past few months. I've gotten this thing for retro-looking radio stuff. I was drooling over a couple of Crossley units at Target. The wife did a one-up, and got me this instead:
http://www.sangean.com/products/product.asp?mid=34

Listening to it, I'm just like "WOW"... Audio reproduction is out of this world!

How good is the front end? I have some Bose receivers that we were given for monitoring HD, which sound fantastic if you can actually receive a signal. Literally, those damn things can't pick up a 100 kW FM from 10 miles away. Deaf as Rush Limbaugh without his implants. Fortunately, they have a line input built in, so I use them for powered speakers. Great for that.

N7YA
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Rush has implants? I thought he looked like a low-end-of-the-scale D cup.

KB3LAZ
12-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Got a point there, I suppose.

I have never taken the plastic guard off of any radio I have ever bought new.

KG4CGC
12-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Rush has implants? I thought he looked like a low-end-of-the-scale D cup.

In his head. He literally has implants in his head due to his drug addiction causing deafness.

KC2UGV
12-28-2012, 08:19 PM
How good is the front end? I have some Bose receivers that we were given for monitoring HD, which sound fantastic if you can actually receive a signal. Literally, those damn things can't pick up a 100 kW FM from 10 miles away. Deaf as Rush Limbaugh without his implants. Fortunately, they have a line input built in, so I use them for powered speakers. Great for that.

Not having experienced much in the way of high-end consumer BC radios, my opinion is that the front end on this thing is phenomenal. I'm able to pull in some crazy stations with the internal antenna. And, it has the accouterments for external antenna hookup.