PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Soup for a cold

hamsmtnchic
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Home sick today:( Going pull some homemade chicken stock from the freezer heat and made an Asian soup with lots a srirachi. Nummy

WØTKX
12-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Wish you felt better. :(

N2CHX
12-19-2012, 03:42 PM
I've been living on chicken soup lately. Lots of homemade soup in the freezer. I make it in a big 5 gallon stock pot and we freeze it in plastic butter tubs and soup tubs from Chinese restaurants. Chicken noodle, chicken with homemade dumplings (my own recipe for the dumplings), beef with barley, split pea with ham, lentil and bean.... All good for what ails you.

Hope you feel better soon!

hamsmtnchic
12-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Chicken Dumpling sounds good, Just found out Im out of my noodles

kb2vxa
12-19-2012, 04:28 PM
An old Jewish remedy Thai style, hmmm. Kel, you make my favorite soups but about the last two, note my sig line.

"Just found out Im out of my noodles."
Breaking news from the Department of Mental Health? (;->) OH! You're out of noodles.

hamsmtnchic
12-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Oh that puts in a pickle with my mental health of noodles

N2CHX
12-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Chicken Dumpling sounds good, Just found out Im out of my noodles

I will have to actually measure the ingredients next time I make my dumplings. I've been making them for years, after spending a long time perfecting the recipe one failure at a time. The kids LOVE them. All I can tell you is, there is flour, eggs, corn starch, milk, vinegar, salt and a little bit of sugar in the recipe. I just know what amount of what to put in, but never formally made measurements.

WØTKX
12-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Oh, she wants her noodles. Trust me.

hamsmtnchic
12-19-2012, 05:53 PM
So your going to run over to the Asian market and get me some noodles

hamsmtnchic
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
I will have to actually measure the ingredients next time I make my dumplings. I've been making them for years, after spending a long time perfecting the recipe one failure at a time. The kids LOVE them. All I can tell you is, there is flour, eggs, corn starch, milk, vinegar, salt and a little bit of sugar in the recipe. I just know what amount of what to put in, but never formally made measurements.

I have never added vinegar or sugar to my dumplings that sounds good. Looking forward to your recipe!

WØTKX
12-19-2012, 05:54 PM
Bwaaaaa! Sigh. Prolly? :)

KC2UGV
12-19-2012, 08:03 PM
The siracha will ensure clean sinuses, for sure.

N2CHX
12-19-2012, 11:18 PM
I have never added vinegar or sugar to my dumplings that sounds good. Looking forward to your recipe!

Well, you're in luck, because I'm going to make some this weekend :)

n2ize
12-20-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, chicken soup will not cure a cold but, when the throat is sore and nasal passages are stuffed hot soup can sometimes bring some comfort and relief.

NQ6U
12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, chicken soup will not cure a cold

But it couldn't hurt. And I've been waiting for that straight line for two days now...

hamsmtnchic
12-21-2012, 12:50 PM
Well, chicken soup will not cure a cold but, when the throat is sore and nasal passages are stuffed hot soup can sometimes bring some comfort and relief.

Comfort is what l seek for these sinuses. I have an Upper Respiratory Infection and the doctor said I have to home again ,he did suggest chicken as he wrote out my script.

KC2UGV
12-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Comfort is what l seek for these sinuses. I have an Upper Respiratory Infection and the doctor said I have to home again ,he did suggest chicken as he wrote out my script.

As I said, the siracha will help with sinuses. Try garlic sauce too. Works as well, with less heat.

hamsmtnchic
12-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Well, you're in luck, because I'm going to make some this weekend :)

That is great I love new recipes

wa6mhz
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Wonder if the little Chicken broth packets they supply with the TOP RAMEN would work. I have a cold too, and have a whole Grocery sack of those packets!

N2CHX
12-21-2012, 03:36 PM
That is great I love new recipes

Cool! I'm making a roast chicken with acorn squash and potatoes tomorrow. The leftover chicken will be used for the soup on Sunday.

K7SGJ
12-21-2012, 09:37 PM
Wonder if the little Chicken broth packets they supply with the TOP RAMEN would work. I have a cold too, and have a whole Grocery sack of those packets!

Remember likamade? You can always eat them like that.

hamsmtnchic
12-21-2012, 09:46 PM
They might work but there probably loaded with sodium so drink lots of water is my suggestion

K7SGJ
12-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Warm water, and jump up and down vigorously.

kb2vxa
12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
"Remember likamade? You can always eat them like that."
I wouldn't, they're so salty they'd pucker your mouth and you'd end up drinking at least a quart of water.

"I have a cold too, and have a whole Grocery sack of those packets!"
You threw the noodles away and kept the broth packets? One in a cup of hot water makes a palatable broth but nothing beats fresh. For those who don't have packets lying about there's always cubes and they're best used for stock when making soup, a great flavor enhancer.