PDA

View Full Version : Here I go again

X-Rated
12-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Thinking about moving away from Chicagoland. Family issues are pushing me more towards a smaller community. Dunno how to make money in a smaller community. I think my statute of limitations has run out for my little involvement in a mishap in Colorado in the spring of 1999 near Littleton. So anywhere would work. I am in the process of looking within my company in South Carolina. Also, looking at several other component companies in Michigan. Prefer staying near the grandkids here and just move out to the smaller outlying villages.

Ugh.

X-Rated
12-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Richmond would be cool too.

KU0DM
12-19-2012, 07:42 AM

87-59 ;)

N2CHX
12-19-2012, 08:16 AM
I think my statute of limitations has run out for my little involvement in a mishap in Colorado in the spring of 1999 near Littleton.

WTF?

X-Rated
12-19-2012, 08:24 AM
87-59 ;)

Yeah, i can get to where I could watch KU football every other year nearby. LOL.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Tentatively, the company may move me and my job to the Greenville area. Here's hoping for a good change.

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Tentatively, the company may move me and my job to the Greenville area. Here's hoping for a good change.

Greenville... Ohio?

I used to take care of two radio stations there. 10 years ago.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 10:58 AM
South Carolina.

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 10:59 AM
South Carolina.

Ah, nice. Home of BlowJob University.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Just Jonesing.

N2CHX
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
Just Jonesing.

Hahahaha! I almost went there for college. I didn't because my Dad threw a fit when he read up on it and found out how racist the place was. Could you imagine if I had? They'd be revoking my degree right now.

NQ6U
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

Greenville is not too far from the Barkeep, as I recall.

X-Rated
01-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Greenville is not too far from the Barkeep, as I recall.

I am sure the locals are too petrified to respond here. Poor fellas.

W3WN
01-16-2013, 01:17 PM
Just Jonesing.Heh. I knew a nice girl in High School (who wasn't allowed to date anyone) whose parents insisted on sending her there.

Never did hear from her again after she went. Always wondered about her...

ad4mg
01-19-2013, 05:28 AM

Kentucky?

KG4CGC
01-19-2013, 05:33 AM
I am sure the locals are too petrified to respond here. Poor fellas.
Where was this thread?
Hey! Do you own a scooter?

NQ6U
01-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Richmond would be cool too.Kentucky?

California?

ki4itv
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM

I'm very pro- Richmond, VA. It is a beautiful place with lot's to do. Large enough to feel like a big city, but not so large as to make you feel overwhelmed. The traffic is generally a breeze, with the exception of a few easily avoided areas, and I can be anywhere in the metro area within twenty minutes.
70 miles or so... you're at the beach or the mountains, even megalopolis is within easy reach if you need a fix.
A little too conservative in the burbs (I live in Glen Allen), but the city population is remarkably liberal and well educated for the most part.

My two cents. Worth a visit to check it out.

ki4itv
01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Kentucky?
I saw what you did there...hahahahahaha!

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 12:44 AM
Where was this thread?
Hey! Do you own a scooter?

No scooter.

KG4CGC
01-20-2013, 02:16 AM
No scooter.

Well, that's alright.
It would have been cool to take a scooter tour of town. It would have covered Paris Mountain with a tour of the city. Everyone I know who rides lives in NC. Got to meet them for the first time last June and we took the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Mt. Mitchell and further on to an area near Marion to get our pictures taken by a roadside photographer as we rode by on the twisties on Hwy 80 aka, The Devil's Whip. Guess you could say I'm looking for local guys to do rides with and show up as group in NC to ride with that group.

Richmond VA. Best memory from 1976. My uncle on my mother's side came to America with his family to stay. I was about 12 at the time and since they were here and it was Summer, he suggested that we all drive up to our nation's capitol and stay a few days to see the sights and get some hands on learning of our rich history.

My uncle's family was his wife, 2 boys and the youngest being an 6 year old girl. We all (mom, dad, my brother and the rest) piled into my dad's station wagon, a 1973 Dodge Coronet station wagon that looked a lot like this one, except ours was green.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/1973DodgeCoronet_01_700_zps9a077830.jpg

We're all riding up the road and as we made stops along the way, I notice that we're getting more and more into tobacco country. By the time we get to Richmond, the first thing that happens is I get a big waft in the face by the smell of curing tobacco. As soon as it hit me, I looked up and saw the big sign to the Phillip Morris plant.
Later that evening after we checked in to a motel on the outskirts of DC, I wandered into a drug store and inside was a whole aisle, about 40 feet long, with nothing but tobacco products that were not cigarettes on both side of the aisle. Every brand of oddball or should I say, lesser known brands of chewing tobacco and cigars was there and I had never seen so much in one place ever before.
Naturally, having grown up in a house where my dad is a pipe smoker, I was curious about this new find and diversity.
For about 49 cents, I bought a 5 pack of Benjamin Franklin cigars. Remember that I was 12 at the time, it was 1976 and the cashier never gave me a second look when I took my 5 pack to the counter. Cool! I had a pack of cigars! I went outside and opened the package. I pulled a cigar out and wriggled the end of the cellophane wrapper and slide a cigar out. I looked at the cigar and brought it up to my nose and smelled it. It was so stout, nice cure, such a clean natural smell and not tainted with flavoring. I looked at it once more and took out a pack matches I had in my sock. I cupped the flame and raise my hands to the end of the Benjamin Franklin cigar which smelled so, tobacco'ee. As I puffed and got it started, it hit me.
THAT THING WAS NASTY!
I think I tried to smoke it for another 5 minutes before I put it out. I had buzz going, getting pretty dizzy, my peripheral vision was getting a bit, spinny. It tasted like dog shit but the buzz was almost kind of fun! I took the remaining 4 cigars out of the pack and stuck them in my socks. Nasty or not, I was going to smoke these damn things. I paid my 49 cent plus whatever local sales tax was and went on back to meet up with the rest of the family.
Naturally, the first thing my mom said when I got back was, "YOU SMELL LIKE SMOKE!" Yeah, she did kind of yell it. I told her that there was a man in line behind me at the store that had a cigar (you could smoke indoors back then) and that we were all waiting in line while the cashier had to call the manager to straighten something out with the customer who was at the counter.
Then we all went and had pizza.

n2ize
01-20-2013, 04:39 AM
I spent some time in the south and it was a nightmare. Cops had me under surveillance 24/7 just looking for any excuse to put me in jail. Idea of "justice" and "fairness" down there is "everyone goes to jail, especially educated liberals from the north". Once cop pulled me over and asked me if I ever spent time in prison. I said no...which is the truth. He put on a sly smile and said, "well, there is always a first time".

N2NH
01-20-2013, 07:24 AM
I'd take SC or NC over VA. Just a personal preference. Never been to Richmond other than passing through. Did live in Arlington and Alexandria, when I worked for USIA. You would be on the Southern end of the Northeast corridor there. By Amtrak, about 6h 20m to NYC and just under 11h to Boston. If you have to go to Greenville, it's only about a 6 hour drive.

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 08:09 AM
I spent some time in the south and it was a nightmare. Cops had me under surveillance 24/7 just looking for any excuse to put me in jail. Idea of "justice" and "fairness" down there is "everyone goes to jail, especially educated liberals from the north". Once cop pulled me over and asked me if I ever spent time in prison. I said no...which is the truth. He put on a sly smile and said, "well, there is always a first time".

Yeah, I hear that Peter Graves asked a lot of people about whether they have been in a Turkish prison or not.

X-Rated
01-20-2013, 08:13 AM
Well, that's alright....

Never had the desire to put a tobacco product in my mouth, but I guess that sounds like fun.

I may get a scooter when I move to the area though. Sounds like fun.

kb2vxa
01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
"Naturally, the first thing my mom said when I got back was, "YOU SMELL LIKE SMOKE!"

Mine quickly got used to it, with transformers, resistors and the occasional junk that shot out of electrolytics I usually smelled of something.

n2ize
01-21-2013, 03:28 AM
Well, that's alright.
It would have been cool to take a scooter tour of town. It would have covered Paris Mountain with a tour of the city. Everyone I know who rides lives in NC. Got to meet them for the first time last June and we took the Blue Ridge Parkway up to Mt. Mitchell and further on to an area near Marion to get our pictures taken by a roadside photographer as we rode by on the twisties on Hwy 80 aka, The Devil's Whip. Guess you could say I'm looking for local guys to do rides with and show up as group in NC to ride with that group.

Richmond VA. Best memory from 1976. My uncle on my mother's side came to America with his family to stay. I was about 12 at the time and since they were here and it was Summer, he suggested that we all drive up to our nation's capitol and stay a few days to see the sights and get some hands on learning of our rich history.

My uncle's family was his wife, 2 boys and the youngest being an 6 year old girl. We all (mom, dad, my brother and the rest) piled into my dad's station wagon, a 1973 Dodge Coronet station wagon that looked a lot like this one, except ours was green.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/1973DodgeCoronet_01_700_zps9a077830.jpg

We're all riding up the road and as we made stops along the way, I notice that we're getting more and more into tobacco country. By the time we get to Richmond, the first thing that happens is I get a big waft in the face by the smell of curing tobacco. As soon as it hit me, I looked up and saw the big sign to the Phillip Morris plant.
Later that evening after we checked in to a motel on the outskirts of DC, I wandered into a drug store and inside was a whole aisle, about 40 feet long, with nothing but tobacco products that were not cigarettes on both side of the aisle. Every brand of oddball or should I say, lesser known brands of chewing tobacco and cigars was there and I had never seen so much in one place ever before.
Naturally, having grown up in a house where my dad is a pipe smoker, I was curious about this new find and diversity.
For about 49 cents, I bought a 5 pack of Benjamin Franklin cigars. Remember that I was 12 at the time, it was 1976 and the cashier never gave me a second look when I took my 5 pack to the counter. Cool! I had a pack of cigars! I went outside and opened the package. I pulled a cigar out and wriggled the end of the cellophane wrapper and slide a cigar out. I looked at the cigar and brought it up to my nose and smelled it. It was so stout, nice cure, such a clean natural smell and not tainted with flavoring. I looked at it once more and took out a pack matches I had in my sock. I cupped the flame and raise my hands to the end of the Benjamin Franklin cigar which smelled so, tobacco'ee. As I puffed and got it started, it hit me.
THAT THING WAS NASTY!
I think I tried to smoke it for another 5 minutes before I put it out. I had buzz going, getting pretty dizzy, my peripheral vision was getting a bit, spinny. It tasted like dog shit but the buzz was almost kind of fun! I took the remaining 4 cigars out of the pack and stuck them in my socks. Nasty or not, I was going to smoke these damn things. I paid my 49 cent plus whatever local sales tax was and went on back to meet up with the rest of the family.
Naturally, the first thing my mom said when I got back was, "YOU SMELL LIKE SMOKE!" Yeah, she did kind of yell it. I told her that there was a man in line behind me at the store that had a cigar (you could smoke indoors back then) and that we were all waiting in line while the cashier had to call the manager to straighten something out with the customer who was at the counter.
Then we all went and had pizza.

I used to get a buzz when I tried cigarettes at 14. I had a pack of Camel's and whenever nobody was home I would head out to the garage and ... shhh... smoke one. ;). Worst "buzz" I ever got was from chewing tobacco. I put a wad of Skoal mint in my mouth not realizing that it is not like regular chew, you only supposed to use a pinch. I was sick as a dying dog for the next several hours. Damned is was wicked.

I love tobacco.If it weren't so bad for the health I would smoke cigarettes, cigars, pipes, and chew tobacco as well. These days I am abstaining from it altogether. I also miss the days when people smoked in bars, restauurants, at work, in theaters, in doctors offices, etc. For a while I even had a doctor who would give me an examination while smoking.

kb2vxa
01-21-2013, 04:27 PM
First of all you don't chew tobacco, you put a pinch between your cheek and gum. Whatever you do don't swallow, no wonder you felt like a dying dog. Eh, what does a 14yo know anyway?