PDA

View Full Version : Its here

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 06:39 AM
http://www.tentec.com/products/Argonaut-VI-QRP-1%252d10-Watt-Transceiver.html

Many of us have been wondering when the new Ten Tec Argonaut VI would be available and here it is.

https://www.tentec.com/downloads/manuals/539/Brochure%20for%20Argonaut%20VI%20Model%20539.pdf

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Okay, now that I have had my coffee I will comment.

In the looks department the former Argo has it beat hands down. Does not appear to have a tuner. Not the biggest of issues. It is missing 60m, no big loss. I am not sure why 12m was excluded. It has a built in roofing filter, which is good. However, I am unsure about the fact that it is a 2.5k filter. A bit narrow for rag chew if you are using it with the amp and a bit wide for QRP contesting (IMO). The DSP is a plus but a little light when it comes to choices and very light when it comes to customization. Filter position for the DSP in SSB is 2.9k which IMO is good for rag chew but again lacking when it comes to contesting.

Now, when it comes to pricing; it comes in at damn near the exact same price of the kx3. Now, is this good or bad? IMO I think you will get more for your money with the KX3. That being said, there are preference choices that would make me go with the TT over the KX3. However, if in the market, I would likely spend double the money and pick up a K3/10.

All in all, I do not have enough information to be astounded or disappointed. Testing from the community, and hopefully from myself will tell me more about this rig in the future. However, by first impressions, I would be more inclined to pick up a used Argo V.

I look forward to seeing the opinions of other QRPers and particularly from the TT fans here on the island. In both aspects most of you have more experience than me. In fact, most of you have more experience than me in most anything in this world. :D Again, I look forward to the first impressions of others.

N8YX
12-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Lotta strikes against it right out of the gate.

That said, I love my older T-T gear.

KK4AMI
12-16-2012, 08:12 AM
Huh! Think I'm happy I bought the Argo V. Just looking at the aesthetics, the new one looks like it should be labeled Radio Shack and not TT. I like my better band coverage and 20w power.

W5GA
12-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Not having 12m is inexcusable. The price is pretty steep for what it is. Spend a few more bux, and you'll have a radio with all the features plus more, a much better receiver, and you'll be able to turn the power down to 5w if QRP is your thing.

kf0rt
12-16-2012, 09:44 AM
Needs moar knobs, too.

KJ3N
12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
$995? I think my reaction is, "Blow me!" I'll buy a used IC-703(+) first. Hell, I can buy a factory assembled KX3 (http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3) for $5 more.

And WTF is it missing 12m for? 60m I can understand, but missing 12m?

X-Rated
12-16-2012, 10:19 AM
$995? I think my reaction is, "Blow me!" I'll buy a used IC-703(+) first. Hell, I can buy a factory assembled KX3 (http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3) for $5 more.

And WTF is it missing 12m for? 60m I can understand, but missing 12m?

And you get AM and FM not included in the TT as well.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 10:32 AM
All good observations. I was thinking maybe it was just me but I had higher hopes for this rig when I first heard about it.

N8YX
12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
I just did a re-read of the release PDF. Looking at the IF frequencies involved, there's no way 12M should have been omitted unless they employed some weird down-conversion scheme and ran into image problems.

That, or the micro-controller employed in the design could easily be co-opted to go "up" and out of the 12M band.

Whatever the reason, it's going to hurt sales.

X-Rated
12-16-2012, 10:51 AM
All good observations. I was thinking maybe it was just me but I had higher hopes for this rig when I first heard about it.

Possibly a $600 -$700 price tag on this one would even things up a bit with the K-3. But like the QRP AM. Who really wants QRP AM? Most people would prefer a high power signal on AM and a modulated final. But it looks like they spent time and money developing an option that very few will be enthralled with while leaving out other options. I don't know what they were thinking here. I think it is a fairly attractive box though. They do need more peer review.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Possibly a $600 -$700 price tag on this one would even things up a bit with the K-3. But like the QRP AM. Who really wants QRP AM? Most people would prefer a high power signal on AM and a modulated final. But it looks like they spent time and money developing an option that very few will be enthralled with while leaving out other options. I don't know what they were thinking here. I think it is a fairly attractive box though. They do need more peer review.

TBH the lack of AM/FM on an HF only QRP rig is not a big deal to me. And I agree, a lot of thought into an option that few people will use while neglecting things that likely would have been used. Again, I agree that the price tag is just too high for what you get. right around $600 may have been acceptable. But again...it would still be lacking.

All in all, I see it as a downgrade from its previous form even if it ends up having a significantly better receiver.

NQ6U
12-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Icom has a new all-mode mobile rig in the works, the IC-7100 (http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/dstar/7100/specifications.aspx), that's intended to fill in for the IC-706 as a lower-priced alternative to the IC-7000. It will probably sell for about the same amount as the Ten Tec (possibly less, price hasn't been announced pending FCC approval) and cover the all the HF bands from 160m to 10m as well as 6m, 2m and 70cm.

Of course, if you're looking purely for a very portable QRP rig, there's the KX3, which covers 160m-6m for $999.95, or a C-note less if you don't mind assembling it yourself.

It seems that Ten Tec has shot themselves in the foot with this one.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Icom has a new all-mode mobile rig in the works, the IC-7100 (http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/dstar/7100/specifications.aspx), that's intended to fill in for the IC-706 as a lower-priced alternative to the IC-7000. It will probably sell for about the same amount as the Ten Tec (possibly less, price hasn't been announced pending FCC approval) and cover the all the HF bands from 160m to 10m as well as 6m, 2m and 70cm.

Of course, if you're looking purely for a very portable QRP rig, there's the KX3, which covers 160m-6m for $999.95, or a C-note less if you don't mind assembling it yourself.

It seems that Ten Tec has shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Icom says that the 7100 is dstar ready and a few dealers claim dstar is built in. If it is built in, I dont see it being at a price point lower than the 7000. In fact, either way I dont see it selling less than the 7000 by leaps and bounds anyway. 200-300$ maybe. With the money one is already investing, I feel that at that point it becomes a preference decision. Either way, no complaints from me.

As for me personally, I do not do portable operation. Aside from FD. I like desktop QRP. In which case I would likely dislike the KX3, thus my thoughts on the new TT but...it sure is not making a good first impression. Size, features, and price point of the former 703/+ were appealing at one time. When it comes down to getting a QRP rig (which will take a back seat once I get home as I will set up QRO first) its looking like the K3/10 is going to be my staple.

No, I cant just turn down a 100w rig, it feels wrong. :P

NQ6U
12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
As for me personally, I do not do portable operation. Aside from FD. I like desktop QRP. In which case I would likely dislike the KX3, thus my thoughts on the new TT but...it sure is not making a good first impression.

Go for a K-2, then. $860 including the SSB option.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 03:14 PM
Go for a K-2, then. $860 including the SSB option.

Speaking of the K2, they go for rather good prices used.

As I said before though, my QRP desires will go on the back burner when I get back. I have thought about many a new rig for my new shack when I get home. Some older TT gear that I want to get as well. In the end, I still just have this desire to get a K3. Be that K3 10/100 version or both.

We all know that I am VERY indecisive. :P I change my mind by the minute. Also, I hate having to choose and therefore end up with multi units a lot, lol.

That damn emotional part of the buy gets in there. :P

KG4CGC
12-16-2012, 03:20 PM
the new one looks like it should be labeled Radio Shack and not TT.
I was thinging the same think.

Pricey too for what it is. Maybe the receive is soooo amazing, that ..........

W5GA
12-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Maybe the receive is soooo amazing, that ..........
According to the numbers, it would have to be improved substantially for that to happen.

KB3LAZ
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
I was thinging the same think.

Pricey too for what it is. Maybe the receive is soooo amazing, that ..........

I mark it off as "Shit happens". They all produce a missed mark now and again. Look at Yaesu, 1 out of every two rigs they make seem to miss the mark these days. Icom, seems to stay in the mid mark range but within the lower portion of the high end price tags. Then Kenwood seems to wait a decade before showing us something new.

Off the QRP topic, I would like to see either the Omni or the Orion updated. Or even a new mid or high end radio hit the market.

As much as I have a fascination with the K3, I would really like to get one dedicated for QRP and pick up a TT for my QRO setup.

As I previously said, we will see what happens. I have had a Fascination with both the K3 and the Omni VII for quite some time now. (Older rigs dont count. Those will be acquired over time and I have no desire to check them off my list until they sit on my desk.)

EightGodzillas
12-18-2012, 05:56 AM
I see TenTec is keeping up with the Jonses with that fancy USB-1 connection.

W3WN
12-18-2012, 08:18 AM
I just did a re-read of the release PDF. Looking at the IF frequencies involved, there's no way 12M should have been omitted unless they employed some weird down-conversion scheme and ran into image problems.

That, or the micro-controller employed in the design could easily be co-opted to go "up" and out of the 12M band.

Whatever the reason, it's going to hurt sales.I asked about that, when I first heard that there'd be no 12 meters.

Essentially, what I gathered was that one band had to go, for mechanical and financial reasons, and research told them that 12 was the likeliest candidate.

I know of at least one ham who had considered a 539 that found this reason a "deal breaker."

The sad thing is, the rig otherwise has a lot going for it. For example: USB port for computer & remote control? Is there any other major rig on the market today that offers that?

But overall... yeah, I'm going to stick with the Argonaut V for now. (Well, once I get the problem with the power output licked, at least). Besides, between that rig, the original Argonaut (505), and the PM-2B, I think I have enough Ten-Tec QRP rigs at present... to say nothing of the Tuna Tin II...

N8YX
12-18-2012, 08:27 AM
I asked about that, when I first heard that there'd be no 12 meters.

Essentially, what I gathered was that one band had to go, for mechanical and financial reasons, and research told them that 12 was the likeliest candidate.

I know of at least one ham who had considered a 539 that found this reason a "deal breaker."

If I was on the design committee, 160 would have been chucked and 12 retained. It's far easier to make a contact with 5-10w on 24MHz than it is on 2MHz, antennas notwithstanding.

This is going to hurt an otherwise potentially successful rig.

W3WN
12-18-2012, 08:30 AM
< snip >
All in all, I see it as a downgrade from its previous form even if it ends up having a significantly better receiver.
One thing that has to be kept in mind is that Ten-Tec is making a fundamental design shift.

The Argonaut V, Jupiter, Omni VII, and Orion II are or will be the last of their "breed", if you will. The Eagle, which is much more of a SDR design, is the future direction. And the Argonaut VI is the next rig in that lineage.

This is not entirely unreasoanble. New technologies, new components, new or more efficient manufacturing & assembly methods... designs evolve.

That said, I don't have high hopes for the success of the Argonaut VI. It's got two big strikes against it, from the get-go: Lack of 12 meters, and high cost compared to the direct competition. I hope the rig does well, but I'm not going to hold my breath on it, either.

KJ3N
12-18-2012, 08:46 AM
The sad thing is, the rig otherwise has a lot going for it. For example: USB port for computer & remote control? Is there any other major rig on the market today that offers that?

IC-7200 (http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7200/default.aspx)
TS-590 (http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Communications/Amateur_Radio/HF_Base_Mobile/TS-590S)

The IC-7200 has been out for 5 years. The Kenwood has been out for 2 years.

N8YX
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Don't forget the Sienna - which actually comes with an embedded PC as an option:

I may buy one of these some day along with a second RX-only version and slave them. It's a pretty slick setup.

KK4AMI
12-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Don't forget the Sienna - which actually comes with an embedded PC as an option:

I may buy one of these some day along with a second RX-only version and slave them. It's a pretty slick setup.

I saw that at a Hamfest. I got a kick out of the fact you could order designer colored lights for the buttons. Weren't cheap though.

I also think you are right about dropping 160m. Something doesn't make sense about a 7.5 lb radio attached to a 20 lb antenna.

W3WN
12-18-2012, 10:37 AM
If I was on the design committee, 160 would have been chucked and 12 retained. It's far easier to make a contact with 5-10w on 24MHz than it is on 2MHz, antennas notwithstanding.

This is going to hurt an otherwise potentially successful rig.Agreed. Or drop one segment of 10 meters... have the rig only run 28 - 29 MHz, for example.

They made a similar error with the Argosy. It only had 30 meters, on the reasoning that (at the time) 12 & 17 weren't yet available. Problem was, people looking at the future knew that those bands would be coming along in just a couple more years, and didn't want to buy a new radio so soon.

That helped me sell a lot of TS-430's, back in the day... even though the Argosy (and then the digitial Argosy II) had a superior receiver & cleaner audio, the lack of 12 & 17 (& 160 to a lesser extent) combined with a 50 W brick instead of 100, made the 430 a better bargain for only a (relative) few shekels more.

Pity.

KB3LAZ
12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
One thing that has to be kept in mind is that Ten-Tec is making a fundamental design shift.

The Argonaut V, Jupiter, Omni VII, and Orion II are or will be the last of their "breed", if you will. The Eagle, which is much more of a SDR design, is the future direction. And the Argonaut VI is the next rig in that lineage.

This is not entirely unreasoanble. New technologies, new components, new or more efficient manufacturing & assembly methods... designs evolve.

That said, I don't have high hopes for the success of the Argonaut VI. It's got two big strikes against it, from the get-go: Lack of 12 meters, and high cost compared to the direct competition. I hope the rig does well, but I'm not going to hold my breath on it, either.

I understand that. I guess we can look at this as the sacrificial lamb.

KB3LAZ
12-20-2012, 08:01 PM
I also see that there is no Speech processor which is something that the 817 gets slammed for frequently. Now, I know a majority of QRP ops are CW folks but not all. Just a curious note.

XE1/N5AL
12-20-2012, 09:26 PM
It does do AM with an optional 6 kHz filter.

If they dropped the AM capability, I wonder if the saved PCB real estate could have been used to add another band, or two. Or, as mentioned earlier: drop 160 meters in favor of 12 meters.

As a hypothetical customer: even if I never planned to use 60 or 12 meters, their absence makes it too obvious that non-trivial compromises were needed in the final radio design. We all know that design involves compromise, but this sticks out more. A missing 160 band, or even the lack of an AM mode, would suggest that all was still wonderful in Radioland and that Ten-Tec was purposely targeting the majority 80-through-10 meter SSB/CW audience with their product. I do hope they do well with the product though.

KB3LAZ
12-21-2012, 06:00 AM
It does do AM with an optional 6 kHz filter.

If they dropped the AM capability, I wonder if the saved PCB real estate could have been used to add another band, or two. Or, as mentioned earlier: drop 160 meters in favor of 12 meters.

As a hypothetical customer: even if I never planned to use 60 or 12 meters, their absence makes it too obvious that non-trivial compromises were needed in the final radio design. We all know that design involves compromise, but this sticks out more. A missing 160 band, or even the lack of an AM mode, would suggest that all was still wonderful in Radioland and that Ten-Tec was purposely targeting the majority 80-through-10 meter SSB/CW audience with their product. I do hope they do well with the product though.

Slightly bigger box, addition of 12m, a tuner, and a Speech processor would have been to my liking. It could have still be very portable by making it the size of those that came before it and they could have fit more into it as well. Just take a look at the old 703+ 160-6, tuner, SP, etc. Still smaller than a K3 and even a K2 I believe.

A little more thought on the drawing board would have been nice. Measure twice, cut once, no?

Happy_Hamer
12-21-2012, 07:08 AM
At that price, for the QRP enthusiast, I would buy the Elecraft KX3, 160-6 meter with optional (near future) 2 meter VHF. I own the KX3 and LOVE the radio.

KB3LAZ
12-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Yep, I was thinking the same. Though, for me, I would have to go with the K3 even with the price difference. I am a desktop op not portable.

K7SGJ
12-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Yep, I was thinking the same. Though, for me, I would have to go with the K3 even with the price difference. I am a desktop op not portable.

I'll sell you my desktop cheap. It's solid pegboard.

n0iu
12-30-2012, 10:05 PM
My 2¢...

Just after the turn of the century, I had a 1st generation 756Pro and I had no complaints. Well, as has happened to many of us, life got in the way of my hobby and I had to sell the 'Pro. Eventually late in 2009 things got better and I was able to get back into ham radio. Up until that time, I had always owned a "rice box" of one brand or another, but this time I decided to do what most hams dream about doing... owning a Ten Tec rig. After all, they are supposed to be the greatest rigs ever made, especially if you are into CW, right? What I ended up with was a Jupiter.

I used this rig for 2½ years and while it was a very capable rig and worked exactly as described, I never had a, "WOW! This is the greatest rig I have ever owned!!" moment, even on CW.

So then on the morning of Monday July 2, 2012, the weather guessers on the local TV stations predicted severe thunderstorms for later that afternoon. I work over night on the "graveyard" shift and I was really tired so I shut off the TV and went to bed... and left the coax running from the antenna straight into the back of the Jupiter. I think everyone here can guess how this part of the story ends so I will spare all of you the gorey details.

So after the insurance company paid the claim for the radio (and several other items in the house), I was once again faced with the decision of what to buy to replace the Jupiter. After a lot of research, I ended up back where I had been before the storm hit... with an Icom. What I have now is an IC-7410 and I couldn't be happier. Its just an "ok" CW rig (I enjoy the mode but I guess I am not that much of a purist), but it is a great digi-mode rig that does not require an outboard soundcard interface.

So I have had a Ten Tec and all I can say is, "Meh!".

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 10:18 PM
The Jupiter was not one of their better rigs as I have seen many of them on the used market at hamfests. Your Jupiter experience is not representative on Ten Tec.
Too bad.

n0iu
12-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Maybe that's why they don't make it any more!

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe that's why they don't make it any more!

It was half-assed at best. I suspect that even at TT, there are inside politics and certain engineers that are able to sell dung to anyone.
I am of the very slanted opinion that they could have kept making some of the older models for several more years.

X-Rated
12-30-2012, 10:30 PM
I had purchased a TS-480HX. Yeah, it is in a lower league, but the front end on that rig was unbearable for CW. My chincy FT-840 was much better than the Kenwood. Even though the rig had a 500Hz filter, it was easily overloaded and was useless in CW contests. I now own an FT-900. No front end overloading.

W5GA
12-30-2012, 10:36 PM
I'd have to agree. My Omni-6 outdates the Jupiter by a good bit, and there is just no comparison in performance. I do give up a few things, no gen coverage receive so I can only get WWV on 10 Mhz. Digital is with a sound card (except for RTTY - the radio does real FSK). But the receiver is still right near the top of the heap, especially with the addition of an INRAD roofing filter. It's also much more tolerant than most of the the Japanese rigs of a bit of antenna mismatch.

n0iu
12-31-2012, 12:53 AM
It was half-assed at best.
But if you could see the way some of the Jupiter owners talk on the Yahoo group, you would almost swear they were sporting some major wood when they talk about their "Jupes"... and its not a pretty picture!