PDA

View Full Version : Albert Schramm, SK

NQ6U
12-16-2012, 12:22 AM
Got this via e-mail just now, thought I'd pass it on since I know I'm not the only one here who still misses Albi:

Today is the 1st anniversary of Albert's passing. Remember him by adding a photo, sharing a story or leaving a tribute in his memory.

Visit Albert's memorial website: http://albert-schramm.forevermissed.com/

N2CHX
12-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I can't believe it's been a year. Man, I miss him.

W5GA
12-16-2012, 02:01 AM
Albie, you were truly a man among men. Hope you're having a great time where ever you are!!!!!!

W4GPL
12-16-2012, 02:28 AM
There's been a serious void on this forum since his passing. He was one of a kind.. :(

PA5COR
12-16-2012, 04:51 AM
What you guy's said, miss him....

VK3ZL
12-16-2012, 05:25 AM
Albie is still with us ..Missed by all of us..Never forgotten and we will always respect his memory..

Bob..VK3ZL..

ad4mg
12-16-2012, 05:40 AM
I am certain that amateurs all over the planet can thank Albert for his tireless work against the ARRL's RM-11306 bandwidth proposal. He played a key role, along with Skip Teller, in exposing the ugly truth about this proposal, and spent countless hours organizing opposition to the proposal, both outside of and within the ARRL. Albert was a longtime ARRL member. I fondly recall our phone conversations during the fight to keep Winlink out of the voice sub-bands. A great organizer, he was able to channel my anger into productive action. I wrote to him one night about an imaginary Uncle Priddy and Aunt Sadie tooling about the country in their custom built motor home using Winlink to share their travels with free internet email. He urged me to post that story on QRZ, and the "free internet email for everyone" at the expense of the amateur radio service became a battle cry.

I recall actually being honored when Albert accepted my invitation to join the Island. Yep, I sure miss Albert. Although I never met him in person, he was a dear friend.

kf0rt
12-16-2012, 06:13 AM
Been thinking all week that this anniversary was about this time of year.

If the Island were to have a patriarch, Albi surely would have been it. Miss him.

K7SGJ
12-16-2012, 09:09 AM
My only regret is that I never met him in person. Every so often, a thread is bumped, and lo and behold, there is one of his posts. He never will let us forget him, just as it should be.

NQ6U
12-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I think the sig line I've been using ever since his passing pretty much says it all.

K7SGJ
12-16-2012, 12:21 PM
I think the sig line I've been using ever since his passing pretty much says it all.

I wonder if there is dictionary in heaven?

X-Rated
12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
I first met Albert on the Zed. We were political adversaries in the debates, but I had a great deal of respect for Albert since he put a lot of thought into his position unlike many of the others with whom I sparred. We PM'ed and were able to bridge many gaps. But early in our internet relations, it was a very rocky start.

All's well that ends well? I hope that is the case. Towards the end, he had shared with me the fact that he and the XYL were planning to move to New England where they would enjoy lower property taxes in their retirement years. I wished him well and then he cut off communications with me rather abruptly. That was annoying to me. But the onset of death can annoy others.

I tried to look to see if there were any old posts on here, but I do not know how to find any of them. I remember one post I made where I was referring to Albert supporting Obama for president and I had remarked that I couldn't wait for the election to be over so Albert and I could start our debates again. But he and I were on the same side a lot after that. I don't know what happened. He didn't seem to see that he had changed.

Don't know about what his widow ended up doing. I am sure she would be cared for financially. I hope she is alright.

N7YA
12-16-2012, 05:06 PM
He was definately an asset here.

We see words on a screen here and if we havent met or seen a picture of one another, our brains tend to matrix in what someone on the other end looks like (like John, 'IZE, i imagine him to look exactly like the drawing in his avatar for some reason...probably way off), but Albi's pic is pretty much how i expected him to look.

n2ize
12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
He was definately an asset here.

We see words on a screen here and if we havent met or seen a picture of one another, our brains tend to matrix in what someone on the other end looks like (like John, 'IZE, i imagine him to look exactly like the drawing in his avatar for some reason...probably way off), but Albi's pic is pretty much how i expected him to look.

Well, maybe when I was in my 20's, young, and trim I looked a little bit like Galois (the guy in the picture).... minus the 19th century clothing. But these days I am too old and too fat to bear any such resemblance :( .

n2ize
12-17-2012, 07:48 PM
Every time I shave using my old style safety razor I think of Albert. Shortly before he left us he recommended the particular shaver that I bought and am now using. He posted a link to it and I bought one.

But he was a really great person to talk to. And, he had respect for the importance of a well rounded liberal arts education. Albert appreciated knowledge and honesty among knowledgeable people. He was a man we could all learn from. Men like Albert are too far and few between these days. Although I never met him in person or over the radio I am glad to have known him through this site.

N7RJD
12-18-2012, 12:48 AM
Every post was a lesson in English and Grammar. I think everybody misses that.

N7YA
12-18-2012, 08:36 AM
I aint gonna say i dont miss that grammer lessin.

ka4dpo
12-18-2012, 02:46 PM
His voice is still traveling through space.