PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for my TenTec Scout 555.

EightGodzillas
12-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Today I bought a TenTec 555 Scout. I got the 40m, 20m and 10m modules. It came with a hand mic. I gave $300. Is that a decent deal? I saw it working.

I want to pick up a few more modules, of course. But most importantly I need a power supply and an antenna. Maybe a tuner for the antenna? I don't know.

It seems TenTec does not sell the modules anymore. Any ideas where to get them now?

NQ6U
12-15-2012, 08:46 PM
The Ten Tec Scout is a piece of junk. Send it to me immediately.

Seriously, $300 is a bit on the high side for only three modules, but within the normal range. I've been looking for one of those for a while.

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 08:47 PM
Modules = Ebay. Bid wisely. I'd say $300 is about right for what you got. I'd find an antenna tuner (IMHO) before you start to TX. For a buck fifty you can find a nice MFJ at the next hamfest from an MFJ dealer. Do not buy direct from MFJ, they charge 15% more than what their distros charge. Now, if your future plans include QRO, I'd go ahead and get a monster antenna tuner now unless your plans include a solid state no tune amp.

WØTKX
12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Modules show up used. That's a fun, and simple rig.

Unless you only have resonant antennas, a tuner is important.

I don't think that rig need more than 10-15 amps, most Hamster supplies are 20 or more.
Jetstream makes an OK power supply that is inexpensive. You'll want a 20-25 amp for later.

EightGodzillas
12-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Thank you, guys.

N8YX
12-16-2012, 04:17 AM
I originally promised to Ron, W3WN a Dentron Super Tuner which is in great working shape. A previous owner penciled some tuning notes on the unit's front panel; besides that it's in good cosmetic condition.

I'll let him and you make the call as to who (if either) of you want the thing. I don't want an arm and a leg for it.

EightGodzillas
12-16-2012, 11:08 AM
That's nice of you. I'll look around the forums for him.

N7YA
12-17-2012, 03:45 AM
By the way....cool screen name.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I originally promised to Ron, W3WN a Dentron Super Tuner which is in great working shape. A previous owner penciled some tuning notes on the unit's front panel; besides that it's in good cosmetic condition.

I'll let him and you make the call as to who (if either) of you want the thing. I don't want an arm and a leg for it.

That's nice of you. I'll look around the forums for him.

Just wait to see which body part he does want for it. No wonder Ron ran off screaming like a little girl.

WØTKX
12-17-2012, 11:47 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uF2DBAku268/T8WLs-FXtXI/AAAAAAAAAeE/xItH4aXDVuk/s400/50+Year+Old+Godzilla.jpg

EightGodzillas
12-17-2012, 12:22 PM
By the way....cool screen name.

Thank you. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Also, I think he is giving me a pretty decent deal on the gear. And he found out my weiner is green and scaly and didn't want that either. So I'm good.

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
And he found out my weiner is green and scaly and didn't want that either. So I'm good.

Wow, you lucked out then. :lol:

N7YA
12-17-2012, 08:52 PM
Thank you. It has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Also, I think he is giving me a pretty decent deal on the gear. And he found out my weiner is green and scaly and didn't want that either. So I'm good.

I think you will do very well here, sir. :yes:

WØTKX
12-17-2012, 09:01 PM
http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Cartoon-Character-Mutley-Laughing.gif

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 09:17 PM
I think you will do very well here, sir. :yes:

Much better than a couple of other noobs that have washed up lately. :snicker:

This guy actually has a sense of humor!

N7YA
12-17-2012, 09:43 PM
And this is always welcome on the island.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 09:59 PM
And this is always welcome on the island.

More like a necessity for Island survival.

EightGodzillas
12-17-2012, 10:08 PM
So I emailed dude about his other modules. This was his reply:

"Since you asked for a package price, I'll make you an offer on all of the remaining Ten Tec equipment I have for the Scout.* If you don't want it all, I'll price everything individually. Here goes:
15, 30 and 80 meter modules: $50 each or all 3 for $145
matching T-T model 607 keyer/paddle: $45
T-T model 705 desk microphone: $25
All items listed above: $200
Everything is in good condition. If you buy all items, then I'll throw in a small antenna tuner* (MFJ-945D) that you can use until you find something better."

I said I'd give him $200 delivered if he threw in the little receiver antenna he was using when I saw it. He said OK, and he is delivering in person. I'm neck deep in the deal already, might as well get the other modules while I can.

I saw a 160m on eBay I thought I was bidding on, but I missed it. Oh well. If anyone sees a module, let me know. :(

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 10:11 PM

"Since you asked for a package price, I'll make you an offer on all of the remaining Ten Tec equipment I have for the Scout.* If you don't want it all, I'll price everything individually. Here goes:
Everything is in good condition. If you buy all items, then I'll throw in a small antenna tuner* (MFJ-945D) that you can use until you find something better."

I said I'd give him $200 delivered if he threw in the little receiver antenna he was using when I saw it. He said OK, and he is delivering in person. I'm neck deep in the deal already, might as well get the other modules while I can.

I saw a 160m on eBay I thought I was bidding on, but I missed it. Oh well. If anyone sees a module, let me know. :(

You are cookin with gas. One of these days I'll get back on HF and we'll have a Kyewso.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:12 PM

I saw the Lunar Module.

NQ6U
12-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a great deal.

(Did you get your call sign yet? It only took about three days for mine to show up in the database)

W3WN
12-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Today I bought a TenTec 555 Scout. I got the 40m, 20m and 10m modules. It came with a hand mic. I gave $300. Is that a decent deal? I saw it working.

I want to pick up a few more modules, of course. But most importantly I need a power supply and an antenna. Maybe a tuner for the antenna? I don't know.

It seems TenTec does not sell the modules anymore. Any ideas where to get them now?That's not a bad price. You might have done better, but then again, you might not have.

The radio is no longer manufactured, and the modules are also out of production. You'll have to find them on the used market.

Join the Ten Tec reflector on the contesting.com server. You will be able to find advice, modules, PS's, and antenna tuners there. Granted you'll also find them on the auction or sales sites... usually for more money, and less of a chance that everything works as advertised.

As far as the PS itself goes, you won't go wrong with an Astron RS-20.
---------
Quite a few years ago, I'm bumming around one of the indoor dealer tables at the Breezeshooter's Hamfest. Steve W3SRL happens to be around, spots a box under the table of the gentleman selling used camera bodies & lenses (what is he doing at a hamfest? damned if I know, but I did get a good deal from him on a Minolta, but I digress). Box is pulled out; it's a Scout, with assorted modules. Dealer tells Steve it's DOA, as is, $75. Of course he grabs it.

Radio is repaired within 5 minutes. SO-239 center pin was broken off.

Some people have all the luck... I'm not one of them...

W3WN
12-18-2012, 01:04 PM

I'll let him and you make the call as to who (if either) of you want the thing. I don't want an arm and a leg for it.He found me, and for the record, my need is not as great as his, so no problem.

EightGodzillas
12-18-2012, 02:56 PM
I got my call sign but I'd rather not post is on the forums. I'll send it to anyone who pm's me.

EightGodzillas
12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I saw the Lunar Module.

http://i48.tinypic.com/k1p4ie.jpg

NQ6U
12-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I got my call sign but I'd rather not post is on the forums. I'll send it to anyone who pm's me.

Anonymous posters are not highly regarded here. If you don't want to use it as your user name, at least include it in your profile as a common courtesy to those of us who are not afraid to voice our opinions openly.

n6hcm
12-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Anonymous posters are not highly regarded here. If you don't want to use it as your user name, at least include it in your profile as a common courtesy to those of us who are not afraid to voice our opinions openly.
this. it is customary for ham radio licensed folk to use their callsigns in ham radio forums. that's how we know who the interesting people are when we're on the air!

K7SGJ
12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
this. it is customary for ham radio licensed folk to use their callsigns in ham radio forums. that's how we know who the interesting people are when we're on the air!

And some of the nu-interesting, too.

ETA Dyslexia can be a bitch.

KC2UGV
12-18-2012, 09:38 PM

It would be rather weird for me to call CQ for "EightGodzillas" lol

EightGodzillas
12-19-2012, 07:04 AM
I did not know anonymity was a problem when I signed up. Sorry.

KB3ZGV
12-19-2012, 07:20 AM
I did not know anonymity was a problem when I signed up. Sorry.

Anonymity just isn't a "ham thing". Anonymity is for freebanders and CBers. Not that I'm against freebanders and CBers. It's just that Hams aren't anonymous on the air or on the internet. Well at least not when they are posting on ham forums.

It's like this, You know who we are, we aren't hiding, so we expect the same in return.

EightGodzillas
12-19-2012, 10:00 AM
Anonymity just isn't a "ham thing". Anonymity is for freebanders and CBers. Not that I'm against freebanders and CBers. It's just that Hams aren't anonymous on the air or on the internet. Well at least not when they are posting on ham forums.

It's like this, You know who we are, we aren't hiding, so we expect the same in return.
This is an internet thing. I had a problem with someone online and I don't feel like any creepers showing up where I live again. It was stupid to use this screenname again, but I didn't know when I signed up that the FCC was going to attach my address to my license for the world to see. If it's a problem I can shut down the account. I don't want to cause a problem.

NQ6U
12-19-2012, 10:14 AM
This is an internet thing. I had a problem with someone online and I don't feel like any creepers showing up where I live again. It was stupid to use this screenname again, but I didn't know when I signed up that the FCC was going to attach my address to my license for the world to see. If it's a problem I can shut down the account. I don't want to cause a problem.

Putting your call sign on your profile page would work. You can also update your FCC listing with a PO box. Hey, you're an attorney, that sort of stuff should be easy for you.

EightGodzillas
12-19-2012, 01:57 PM
See how creepy the internet is?

KC2UGV
12-19-2012, 02:04 PM

How did you not know? You registered with ULS, correct?

KA9MOT
12-19-2012, 02:42 PM
You'll like that Scout. I almost married mine and now I miss her......a little drifty, but worked very well.

n6hcm
12-19-2012, 03:01 PM
My callsign doesn't map to my residence--it maps to a mailbox which I keep a few miles away from home. (I was once closer to where the mailbox is, but now I'm not). All the FCC requires is a postal mail address where you can receive notices--it doesn't require your home address, but many do this anyway when they are comfortable doing it.

(I also have a PO Box which I don't use often--but I may switch to it because the mailbox I use now is a private mailbox which costs about $200/year ... while it's good that they can receive parcels on my behalf, I'm told the PO can now do this as well).

K7SGJ
12-19-2012, 09:13 PM
I seem to remember that years ago the FCC used to require your fixed station address on your license. I guess if one lived in a rural area, they could have had a PO or RR box number on it. The way the rules have changed over the years, I guess that's no longer required.

NQ6U
12-19-2012, 10:05 PM
See how creepy the internet is?

It's no creepier than a bulletin board at a laundromat. You have a web site for your practice so it was pretty easy to find; if you were that worried about anonymity, you shouldn't have posted your info in a public place.