PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Just Went ..

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 07:17 PM
... tits up.
Anyone ever have a monitor start having the picture jump around?
Anyone ever have a monitor go tits up by having the picture start jumping around all over the place? I have. Retested everything, cleaned everything, regooped the CPU to the cooling fins and heatsink. Then I finally switched out monitors and tested the old one on a different machine.

Tits up.

K7SGJ
12-15-2012, 07:42 PM
The first two places I'd look at is the power supply, and if it uses a CRT, look at the horizontal output device. Those were always the most common failures. Probably the horz output finished first for the symptoms you describe. Third place usually went to the IC that generated the vert/horz sync signal. It usually had the vertical output circuit within.

KJ3N
12-15-2012, 07:45 PM
First question: CRT or LCD?

If LCD, how old? What brand?

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 07:51 PM
LCD, old, Envision, G22LWk, 22"

Got a new 24" LED monitor in the pipe for Christmas.

NQ6U
12-15-2012, 07:57 PM
I was recently given an used Samsung LCD monitor to replace the old Sony CRT. I like it because it frees up a lot of space on the workbench for other stuff but, unfortunately, after it's been on for a while, pixels start to go wonky in the corners. It appears to be heat-related.

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 08:29 PM
I had an OLD Viewsonic A90f tucked away that I'm using right now. It's a monster! Did people really actually use these things? WOW!

KC2UGV
12-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a broken display cable, to be honest. LCD's generally just stop working, except the bad pixels on the edge, with Carlo. Sounds like a bad panel.

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Sounds like a broken display cable, to be honest. LCD's generally just stop working, except the bad pixels on the edge, with Carlo. Sounds like a bad panel.

You mean the cable from the computer to the monitor? Nope. Tested the monitor on another machine with a different cable and a different monitor on this machine with the same cable I've been using with the tits up monitor. Cable OK.

KC2UGV
12-15-2012, 08:56 PM
You mean the cable from the computer to the monitor? Nope. Tested the monitor on another machine with a different cable and a different monitor on this machine with the same cable I've been using with the tits up monitor. Cable OK.

Weird. For education's sake, can you do a video clip or something (A pic) of the monitor doing it? I've never seen it, and want to :)

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 09:51 PM
Weird. For education's sake, can you do a video clip or something (A pic) of the monitor doing it? I've never seen it, and want to :)

Geez. I've got the current situation, settled in.
You can see the top row of the picture on the bottom and top and bottom rows jump up and down about an inch and a half. There are horizontal lines across everything and it's constantly moving. There are 2 Google logos, for example, hopping up and down, two cursors ... a real hot mess.

On the desktop, it isn't as bad but it looks like light is trying to shine through tiny little pixels in certain colors.

N2CHX
12-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Nope, I disagree with that. Seen LCD's go all flippy-trippy quite a few times. There was one particular make that used to do it so much you could almost count on it after so much time in operation. In radio stations, these things often get used 24/7 so they tend to die quicker than in a regular office setting. We never bothered wasting time trying to fix them. Sometimes they died under warranty. Most of the time it was just cheaper to replace them.

N2CHX
12-15-2012, 09:56 PM
You can see the top row of the picture on the bottom and top and bottom rows jump up and down about an inch and a half. There are horizontal lines across everything and it's constantly moving. There are 2 Google logos, for example, hopping up and down, two cursors ... a real hot mess.

On the desktop, it isn't as bad but it looks like light is trying to shine through tiny little pixels in certain colors.

Almost sounds like a refresh rate mismatch.

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 10:00 PM
I don't know but it just started up early this morning while I was using it. I figured for sure it was the video card.

N2CHX
12-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I don't know but it just started up early this morning while I was using it. I figured for sure it was the video card.

If you get the notion to try, try changing the refresh rate to a lower one.

KC2UGV
12-15-2012, 10:16 PM

No worries. I just wanted to see it, so I know what to look for :)

KG4CGC
12-15-2012, 10:19 PM
When I pull this monster CRT back out, before I set up the new monitor I'll stick the sick one back in and roll video.

N2CHX
12-15-2012, 10:42 PM
When I pull this monster CRT back out, before I set up the new monitor I'll stick the sick one back in and roll video.

Don't give yourself a hernia.

K7SGJ
12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Almost sounds like a refresh rate mismatch.

Bingo, give that girl a seegar. If it's an auto sync monitor, either it's not detecting and syncing up, or as Keli said, the video card is set to a frequency the monitor can't operate ar. I've had programs change the video characterists without my knowledge. Which ever end is causing the problem, I'd bet the Popes' hat, that Keli is right and it is a refresh or frequency issue. But then, I could be full of shift, too.

X-Rated
12-16-2012, 11:43 AM
... tits up.
Anyone ever have a monitor start having the picture jump around?
Anyone ever have a monitor go tits up by having the picture start jumping around all over the place? I have. Retested everything, cleaned everything, regooped the CPU to the cooling fins and heatsink. Then I finally switched out monitors and tested the old one on a different machine.

Tits up.

Sorry for your loss. I am sure it was a good one. Some people have been killed by monitors.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/fatal-attractions/videos/killed-by-a-pet-monitor-lizard.htm

KG4CGC
12-16-2012, 10:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4_Jra0PFTI&feature=youtu.be

Refresh rate setting is not changing anything and autosync doesn't change anything.

N2CHX
12-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah, it's got issues. Oh well, it was a thought.

KC2UGV
12-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Refresh rate setting is not changing anything and autosync doesn't change anything.

Interesting... Definitely looks bad to me :) Thanks for posting this, because I would have most likely spent 3 hours trying to update drivers, replacing cables, re-seating the video card,etc had I come across this... The whole nine, and maybe not even having fixed it.

NY3V
12-17-2012, 07:45 AM

Are you sure your monitor driver didn't get infected by one of those NeoCon hackers? ;)

N2CHX
12-17-2012, 07:51 AM
Just give it more cowbell. That'll fix it.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 09:50 AM
You might want to check your Schweddy Balls.

NQ6U
12-17-2012, 09:54 AM
I don't know what the problem is. Looks fine to me.

K7SGJ
12-17-2012, 10:11 AM
I don't know what the problem is. Looks fine to me.

Seems odd, as opposed to even, that it only works on a Mac. Go figure

W3WN
12-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Just give it more cowbell. That'll fix it.Only if Christopher Walken is doing PC repairs on the side...

KG4CGC
12-17-2012, 01:53 PM
Interesting... Definitely looks bad to me :) Thanks for posting this, because I would have most likely spent 3 hours trying to update drivers, replacing cables, re-seating the video card,etc had I come across this... The whole nine, and maybe not even having fixed it.

And the thing is, I did all that. Broke everything down, cleaned and yes, reseated the graphics card as well as all the cable connectors, RAM, CPU cooling etc etc adnauseum.

KC2UGV
12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
And the thing is, I did all that. Broke everything down, cleaned and yes, reseated the graphics card as well as all the cable connectors, RAM, CPU cooling etc etc adnauseum.

Yeah, I know. You saved me a potential three hours of troubleshooting down the road :)

KG4CGC
12-17-2012, 06:00 PM
This was interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j7MMeTHOSFc

KJ3N
12-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Common failure is caps in the power supply. Samsung TVs made from around 2008-2010 have the same issue.

If you're feeling adventurous, you might want to take the LCD apart and check the caps.

n2ize
12-17-2012, 08:55 PM
I think it's time to send that monitor to these guys...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DszqdDMfsmo