PDA

View Full Version : Just the facts/no politics: 18 Elementary School Kids Dead

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Moderator commentary inserted:

WARNING: This particular thread was posted in General Discussion -- NO POLITICS here. Facts and discussion of the victims ​ONLY. There are other threads for the 'gun debate'.

------------

http://www.wyff4.com/news/national/Reports-Children-among-at-least-20-dead-in-Conn-shooting/-/9324256/17777166/-/fc0e1hz/-/index.html (http://www.wyff4.com/news/national/Reports-Children-among-at-least-20-dead-in-Conn-shooting/-/9324256/17777166/-/fc0e1hz/-/index.html)

18 small children dead and a few adults. Gunman dead with one suspect in custody. The story is changing every few minutes.
Motivation unknown.

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 01:53 PM
:( sad and tragic.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 01:57 PM
All they're saying is that the shooter had ties to the school. Didn't say what kind.
This is a shameful tragedy that could have been avoided.
Now they're saying that the shooter was 20 year old.

PA5COR
12-14-2012, 01:59 PM
27 dead now, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting_n_2300831.html

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
WARNING: This particular thread was posted in General Discussion -- NO POLITICS here. Facts and discussion of the victims ​ONLY. There are other threads for the 'gun debate'.

n2ize
12-14-2012, 02:00 PM
27 dead now, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/sandy-hook-elementary-school-shooting_n_2300831.html

The shooter might be a father of one of the kids attending the school. So far its sketchy.

kf0rt
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
The shooter might be a father of one of the kids attending the school. So far its sketchy.

News reports the shooter was 20 years old. Seems young to have a kid at an elementary school.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 02:10 PM
What kind of ill person would do this in an elementary school where the kids were K through 4th grade?
I'll guess we'll be hearing more through the next few weeks.

WX7P
12-14-2012, 02:11 PM
News reports the shooter was 20 years old. Seems young to have a kid at an elementary school.

Young enough to be an ex-student

X-Rated
12-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Yeah, but with the family dynamics, it is possible for a 20 yr old to marry or date someone with a child in grade school.

kf0rt
12-14-2012, 02:14 PM
^^ Both true. I'll be waiting for the facts to come out though.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 02:14 PM
Yeah, but with the family dynamics, it is possible for a 20 yr old to marry or date someone with a child in grade school.

All we can tell right now is that he was between 20 and 24. We'll be hearing all kinds of things over the next few days.

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 02:18 PM
NBC is reporting one of his parents was found dead at their home in NJ.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Every few minutes, more of this mess unfolds and gets messier.

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 02:31 PM
@ChuckTodd So @petewilliamsnbc (https://twitter.com/PeteWilliamsNBC) is reporting that one of the victims at the school shooting is the mother of the shooter who worked at the school.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 02:39 PM
(Ryan Lanza, 24) Went to his mother's classroom and shot her and the students after shooting some people in the principal's office.

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 02:43 PM
NBC is reporting one of his parents was found dead at their home in NJ.NBC has retracted this.

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 02:44 PM
Since the shooter is dead, it's probably going to be a while before it's pieced together what his motive was.

KK4AMI
12-14-2012, 02:47 PM
I do volunteer work at a place called "Computers 4 Kids." It's basically an old storefront financed through donations and the City of Charlottesville. The way the school is set up, there are two staff members sitting in an office by the front door (always unlocked when we are open) then there is a computer classroom full of about 15 students, our repair lab is behind the classroom and behind that are more offices and classrooms. As far as I'm aware there is no backdoor. Stuff like this makes me think "what if?"

X-Rated
12-14-2012, 02:49 PM

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 02:58 PM
I do volunteer work at a place called "Computers 4 Kids." It's basically an old storefront financed through donations and the City of Charlottesville. The way the school is set up, there are two staff members sitting in an office by the front door (always unlocked when we are open) then there is a computer classroom full of about 15 students, our repair lab is behind the classroom and behind that are more offices and classrooms. As far as I'm aware there is no backdoor. Stuff like this makes me think "what if?"

My best friend is an elementary school teacher. 2nd grade. I'm sure she's thinking the same thing right now and probably every time something like this happens. I'm sure I will hear about it as soon as she gets home today.

KK4AMI
12-14-2012, 03:00 PM
I was thinking about an electric lock at the front door, so the ladies in the front office could buzz in only the volunteers and students they know.

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I was thinking about an electric lock at the front door, so the ladies in the front office could buzz in only the volunteers and students they know.MSNBC said this school's doors were locked as a policy.. so someone had to let this guy in, or he snuck in somehow..

Or perhaps he showed up and said "hey, my Mom works here and I have an emergency, can I see her?" and as any normal person would do.. they let him in as a courtesy. As frequently as these incidents are happening, most people don't assume the worst case scenario every time they hear a knock at the door.

X-Rated
12-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Sounds like a fire issue at best. They need more exits there. I would push for it. Sorry for the conjecture.

KK4AMI
12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
MSNBC said this school's doors were locked as a policy.. so someone had to let this guy in, or he snuck in somehow..

Or perhaps he showed up and said "hey, my Mom works here and I have an emergency, can I see her?" and as any normal person would do.. they let him in as a courtesy. As frequently as these incidents are happening, most people don't assume the worst case scenario every time they hear a knock at the door.

I hear he was dressed like Rambo. Anybody shows up at our door dressed like that and we will kindly refer him to the "University of Virginia Institute of Norms" next door. Our lab has a door and could be pretty secure, but most of the offices have glass walls makin' it hard to hide.

KK4AMI
12-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Sounds like a fire issue at best. They need more exits there. I would push for it. Sorry for the conjecture.

First thing I'm going to do is look on Monday and make a plan with my boss.

W4GPL
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM
I hear he was dressed like RamboI've heard a lot of things in the last few hours that have been retracted. I suppose we should all just wait for the official facts.

X-Rated
12-14-2012, 03:26 PM
First thing I'm going to do is look on Monday and make a plan with my boss.

I would involve the top administration and the fire marshal.

N2CHX
12-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I've heard a lot of things in the last few hours that have been retracted. I suppose we should all just wait for the official facts.

NBC put the part about another family member dead at a home in NJ back into the story.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 03:28 PM
MSNBC said this school's doors were locked as a policy.. so someone had to let this guy in, or he snuck in somehow..

Nailed it.

W3WN
12-14-2012, 03:56 PM

That's plausible. Of course, it's only a theory until we have all the facts.

IF that is the case, I'll be that they only had an intercom system at the door, not a security camera. Not that unusual; my daughter's current and past schools don't/didn't have one either. So if he buzzed to be let in, and had a plausible story... especially if he'd been there before, so they (thought they) knew who he was, they probably didn't think twice about letting him in. And then it was too late.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 04:57 PM
Now they're saying that they had the shooter's name wrong. It was his brother Adam, not Ryan who was the shooter. Good thing Ryan didn't get gunned down as revenge or whatever.

ki4itv
12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I hear he was dressed like Rambo. Anybody shows up at our door dressed like that and we will kindly refer him to the "University of Virginia Institute of Norms" next door. Our lab has a door and could be pretty secure, but most of the offices have glass walls makin' it hard to hide.

How do you explain to a city slicker that it is hunting season?
Rambo look alikes are everywhere....

KK4AMI
12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
How do you explain to a city slicker that it is hunting season?
Rambo look alikes are everywhere....

No, Hunters dress like Elmer Fudd! This guy supposedly had black BDUs, Combat vest, two pistols and an M-4 (version of AR-15). Not many people dress like that.

KG4CGC
12-14-2012, 05:57 PM
No, Hunters dress like Elmer Fudd! This guy supposedly had black BDUs, Combat vest, two pistols and an M-4 (version of AR-15). Not many people dress like that.

I don't if this is political or not but, after 9/11, we had all kinds of people walking around dressed in camo head to toe, patrolling parking lots and etc. At night, they changed to black.
After the Aurora shooting, same deal, only they were hanging out in movie theater parking lots. I don't know who they are. I know they're not cops.

NQ6U
12-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't know who they are. I know they're not cops.

Hello.

Were they looking for tacos?

KK4AMI
12-17-2012, 05:58 PM

OK, I feel better. I talked to my boss. She told me that the C-ville Police know about us, in fact the County Drug Task Force has an Office two doors down. We do have a plan. Our repair lab is windowless and has only one door. Everybody piles in with us, we slam the door shut and pile as many of the 200 Desk Tops we have on shelves in front of the locked door. There is also a backdoor that goes to the street behind us. Just a lot of construction going on between us.

As an aside, I have difficulties with the idea of an armed teacher (or anybody) in a grade school. However the Police have these really light weight Class IIIA Ballistic Shields. That and a good taser would give any school staff member a fighting chance against a gunman.

NY4Q
12-20-2012, 04:42 PM
Have you guys & gals read this yet?

http://anarchistsoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/12/thinking-unthinkable.html

N2CHX
12-20-2012, 06:01 PM

Yep.

X-Rated
12-21-2012, 09:19 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skU-jBFzXl0

n2ize
12-30-2012, 03:16 PM
I was made aware of some sad news yesterday. It appears that now the conspiracy theorists have gotten into this incident and are using it to further there "false flag" agenda.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I was made aware of some sad news yesterday. It appears that now the conspiracy theorists have gotten into this incident and are using it to further there "false flag" agenda.

JOHN! What does the thread title say?

n2ize
12-30-2012, 06:22 PM
JOHN! What does the thread title say?

Okay. I will say no more about it. I have no opinion on this anyway.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Okay. I will say no more about it. I have no opinion on this anyway.

Thank you and feel free to post what ever it was you wanted to to say in the gun thread to rule all gun threads.

n2ize
12-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Thank you and feel free to post what ever it was you wanted to to say in the gun thread to rule all gun threads.

But what I said has nothing to so with guns. So I didn't want to say it there. And out of respect I didn't want to start yet another thread on this topic. So I'll leave it at that. Now I am going out into the cold northeast winds and icy streets to help a friend do some outreach to homeless people. People out there need jackets, coats, gloves, etc. It's going to be very cold this week.

KG4CGC
12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
But what I said has nothing to so with guns. So I didn't want to say it there. And out of respect I didn't want to start yet another thread on this topic. So I'll leave it at that. Now I am going out into the cold northeast winds and icy streets to help a friend do some outreach to homeless people. People out there need jackets, coats, gloves, etc. It's going to be very cold this week.

We got some clothes, coats, jackets and socks for the homeless around here.

n2ize
12-30-2012, 07:33 PM
We got some clothes, coats, jackets and socks for the homeless around here.
I just brought over 2 almost brand new jackets that I am not using, a couple of caps and some sweaters. Tomorrow I am going to bring out some more winter stuff that I am not using but which people who have to face the cold need, It's going to be very cold this week and people need hot food, warm clothes, etc. This same guy I help out also does Thanksgiving dinners for the homeless and all sorts of outreach. I hope what little I offer can make a difference in someones life.