PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Drake antenna tuner (and other stuff).

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 05:05 AM
Hi guys,

Brand new ham. Passed tech and general last Saturday. Picking up a Drake TR-4C this Saturday. It has the power supply, speaker and a mic, but no tuner. I would like to get a Drake to match it. I thought I wanted an MN-4 but was told I don't. OK. Maybe an MN-75? Is a 2000 too much?

Any advice is also appreciated. I really don't know what I should be paying so some ideas about that would be appreciated as well.

I'd also like a Drake watt meter and a digital frequency display if someone wants to part with those.

Thanks,
Shane

KG4CGC
12-13-2012, 05:23 AM
Welcome to the Island, Shane. Congratulations on your recent accomplishment and I hope you find many years of enjoyment in your new avocation.

In the meantime, assuming that you're over 21, enjoy a drink at the bar at the end of the pier. I'll be your mixologist.

N8YX
12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Shane,

An MN75 would be a better match for a TR5/TR7 than a TR3/TR4 but could be used in a pinch. I would try to locate an MN-4C or an MN-2000 if I was putting that station together.

A -2000 isn't overkill in your application and will perform a bit better than a tuner with lower power ratings; this owing to lower I2R losses through the network.

N2CHX
12-13-2012, 08:22 AM
Congrats and welcome, Shane.

PA5COR
12-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the Island Shane, congrats on passing the exams, and welcome in the wonderfull world of Hamradio ;)

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the Island, Shane. Charles, set the man up with the umbrella drink of his choice and put it on my tab.

As far as Drake tuners go, the MN-4 would be fine; I've got one myself. It's very basic, but well-built and it won't set you back a whole lot of cash.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/P1010497.jpg

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks, guys. So which watt meter should I buy? Also, if anyone has a digital frequency disply, like an ETEK FR-4tr I would like one of those if I can get a decent deal.

I really want to have a radio shack that looks circa early 70's. I want someone to walk in and think that I will be sitting there with a buzz cut, horn-rimmed glasses, white short sleeved shirt and tie and a Winston hanging from my lips. You know, like Mission Control for the Apollo missions.

I just cancelled DirecTV because I watch so little tv that even with the most basic package I was paying about $10/hour for tv. So I cut it off. However, now I have a post with RG-8 run from it into my house. Am I mistaken for thinking that this would be a great antenna base?

And if anyone has an MN-2000 or MN-4c, let me know! Right now I'm the high bid on the one on eBay, but there are two days left on that.

W3WN
12-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Shane,

Congrats!

I've had a lot of success over the years with the Daiwa cross-needle SWR bridges. The new runs run in the neighborhood of $100 - $120 depending on whom you're dealing with. They're good for up to 2 KW power, so if/when you get an amp, you're covered.

And I'd take another look at that coax. My DirecTV install used RG-6, which is a 75 ohm cable, not RG-8X or RG-8. The mast will be fine, but you may have to replace the coax.

NQ6U
12-13-2012, 12:40 PM
The MN-4 has a watt/swr meter built right in, as do all the other Drake tuners. If you're looking for something more for your tech bench, then the good ol' Bird 43 is not a bad choice.

EightGodzillas
12-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Shane,

Congrats!

I've had a lot of success over the years with the Daiwa cross-needle SWR bridges. The new runs run in the neighborhood of $100 - $120 depending on whom you're dealing with. They're good for up to 2 KW power, so if/when you get an amp, you're covered.

And I'd take another look at that coax. My DirecTV install used RG-6, which is a 75 ohm cable, not RG-8X or RG-8. The mast will be fine, but you may have to replace the coax.
Thank you for the insight! I'll check the wires.

The MN-4 has a watt/swr meter built right in, as do all the other Drake tuners. If you're looking for something more for your tech bench, then the good ol' Bird 43 is not a bad choice.

Awesome sauce! thanks!