PDA

View Full Version : Why is there so little use of FM on HF

KB3ZGV
12-10-2012, 11:33 PM
Is it just that it never caught on? Or is there something about the HF bands that makes them unsuitable for FM?

AB3MV
12-10-2012, 11:47 PM
FM is a bandwidth hog.

KJ3N
12-11-2012, 12:33 AM
FM is a bandwidth hog.

^^^^This.^^^^

You want FM? Stick to 10m where there's plenty of room.

KB3ZGV
12-11-2012, 12:59 AM
I haven't even heard it on 10

KA9MOT
12-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Plenty of repeaters on 10M. Get your directory out.

KG4CGC
12-11-2012, 02:03 AM
THERE ARE 4 BASIC FM REPEATER OUTPUT FREQUENCIES. Program them into a scanner and hook that up to a quarter wave whip. Run continuously. Next time the band opens up you'll hear them.

N8YX
12-11-2012, 04:14 AM
Every time the band is up I hear repeater activity on 10. And the FM simplex crowd is fairly active on 29.600.

X-Rated
12-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Every time the band is up ...

A KWM-2A gets it's wings.

N8YX
12-11-2012, 02:34 PM
A KWM-2A gets it's wings.
But not on FM. Or AM, for that matter.

W1GUH
12-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Bone up on your ham history. NBFM is limited to the same bandwidth as AM*. It was tried sometime around the 50's because FM is impervious to AM noise, as in static. Don't know if it was ever used much. Shortly thereafter was the SSB explosion and wiped most carrier-dependant emission types.

Got an AF-67 here that I could put on NBFM. Maybe there should be an "FM Window" on 75m?

* And, anyway, why does BW matter most of the time these days? Use of the bands during non-contest times is so minimal that BW is a big "don't care" except to those types who are offended by anything that "they" think is "wrong."

KB3ZGV
12-11-2012, 03:09 PM
I also was wondering why bandwidth would be an issue. It doesn't seem like the bands are crowded at all here. After getting into this ham radio thing this year, I am surprised that there is so little activity.

Then again, all I have to compare it to is mid 70's CB where everything was so crowded it became useless. Were the amateur bands always this dead?

X-Rated
12-11-2012, 03:23 PM
I also was wondering why bandwidth would be an issue. It doesn't seem like the bands are crowded at all here. After getting into this ham radio thing this year, I am surprised that there is so little activity.

Then again, all I have to compare it to is mid 70's CB where everything was so crowded it became useless. Were the amateur bands always this dead?

If you understand that regardless of how crowded your band is, the receiver sensitivity decreases with larger bandwidths. With a given radio, the S/N ratio will be best with something like a 250Hz filter for CW reception. But really, I don't think the FCC will knock on your door if you operate FM on 75M. Try it and let us know how that works out. I never thought much about it.

KJ3N
12-11-2012, 03:25 PM
* And, anyway, why does BW matter most of the time these days?

Because the FCC says it does.

97.307(f)(1) No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index greater than 1 at the highest modulation frequency.

That notation is for every HF band with the exception of 29-29.7 Mhz.

KE5YPJ
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Where is the fm on vhf or any kind of operation for that matter. I guess all our locals 2m rigs only work during the thrs. night net. dead peters everywhere. mabyee we have become a society that can only socialize on fartbook. I love fm just wish there was more on the vhf and uhf bands here. mabye this would be better on a different thread.

N8YX
12-19-2012, 06:18 PM

All these see regular usage in and around the Akron, OH area...

n2ize
12-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Forget FM... Put those radios on AM !!! Where they belong !!

kb2vxa
12-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Yeah right, hyellowy telephonium audio we don't want. If it's not made for yay-emm it won't play angel music.

n2ize
12-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Yeah right, hyellowy telephonium audio we don't want. If it's not made for yay-emm it won't play angel music.

Actually some of the modern radios sound pretty good on yay-em. I was impressed with a few, even without mods. Of course getting decent yay-em out of em requires the carrier be backed way down into the piss weak zone.

NQ6U
12-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Actually some of the modern radios sound pretty good on yay-em. I was impressed with a few, even without mods. Of course getting decent yay-em out of em requires the carrier be backed way down into the piss weak zone.

This one (http://k7dyy.com/) looks interesting. Not cheap, however.

http://k7dyy.com/

kb2vxa
12-23-2012, 09:10 PM
"Of course getting decent yay-em out of em requires the carrier be backed way down into the piss weak zone."

Oh, so THAT'S why... he's a ham twice over. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl-DY8IsUB0

n2ize
12-26-2012, 04:14 PM
This one (http://k7dyy.com/) looks interesting. Not cheap, however.

http://k7dyy.com/

Ah yes... the DYY Class D AM Transmitter. I was browsing around the AMFONE.net and came across some posts. Apparently some of the guys feel they sound quite good and they live up to the standards as advertised. There are many different schools of thought regarding higher powered AM rigs. Some of the guys prefer building Class E solid state rigs. Steve WA1QIX has some interesting designs for class E rigs and to be honest they don;t look all that hard or expensive to build. Most of the parts, i.e. MOSFET's etc. are readily available I would venture that in today's world it might be cheaper to build up a 1500 W PEP solid state class D or E rig from scratch than to build up a tube rig of similar power capacity from scratch..

Of course the drawback to going solid state is that you miss that nice bright warm orange glow of the plates and that warm aire blowing out of the transmitter. On cold windy winter nights there is nothing like a warm radio glowing bright. On the other hand the solid state rig might be good for the hot mummer months.

KG4CGC
12-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Ah yes... the DYY Class D AM Transmitter. I was browsing around the AMFONE.net and came across some posts. Apparently some of the guys feel they sound quite good and they live up to the standards as advertised. There are many different schools of thought regarding higher powered AM rigs. Some of the guys prefer building Class E solid state rigs. Steve WA1QIX has some interesting designs for class E rigs and to be honest they don;t look all that hard or expensive to build. Most of the parts, i.e. MOSFET's etc. are readily available I would venture that in today's world it might be cheaper to build up a 1500 W PEP solid state class D or E rig from scratch than to build up a tube rig of similar power capacity from scratch..

Of course the drawback to going solid state is that you miss that nice bright warm orange glow of the plates and that warm aire blowing out of the transmitter. On cold windy winter nights there is nothing like a warm radio glowing bright. On the other hand the solid state rig might be good for the hot mummer months.

Stick a tube in your audio chain.

kb2vxa
12-26-2012, 06:32 PM
OOOoooh, that sounds so KINKY!