PDA

View Full Version : Back to FSX...

kf0rt
12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
Intel or AMD? I do a lot of digital audio on computers. I keep trying AMD multicore CPU's and I keep finding them unstable when pushed. I can't get my AMD box to run stable for more than about 4 hours before either the program crashes or (much more rare) the OS gets unhappy and drops a service I need. I'm not saying it's the AMD CPU's fault. It's not a thermal issue either. It's most likely the software but, My intel i7 2600k machine build had been almost perfectly stable from the word go. It also handily outperforms the AMD. Many more tracks and plugins.

Archie N8OBM

Some rascal shut down a perfectly good hijack, so I'm QSYing over here. :lol:

It's Intel, Archie. Old box was a core duo Q6600 - new is an i7-3820. Interesting comment about pushing the AMD multicores. I've run one of those for quite a while in the HTPC and never had a problem. It's a dual-core 3.0GHZ CPU from several years ago. Athlon X2. It'll drive the HDMI video and surround sound all day, straight off a cheap Gigabyte motherboard (that whole system was built based on the whole concept of "cheap"). That's the only AMD based box I've ever owned though. You must be doing some pretty demanding stuff.

Got FSX running on the new machine now and after a bit of work re-mapping some buttons, it seems to be working great.