PDA

View Full Version : Call Sign Choice

AB3MV
12-09-2012, 01:57 PM
If you had to choose between a sequentially issued A-prefix 2x2 call sign that contains your first and last initials and a non-initials vanity 1x2 call sign that had never been held in the amateur service, which call sign would you choose?

N8YX
12-09-2012, 02:02 PM
If you had to choose between a sequentially issued A-prefix 2x2 call sign that contains your first and last initials and a non-initials vanity 1x2 call sign that had never been held in the amateur service, which call sign would you choose?

Hmmm...I'll get back to you on that:

NY3V
12-09-2012, 02:17 PM
Actually, I would have preferred one of those obsolete Chicken Band calls. NOT! ;)

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 02:29 PM
I prefer the call I already have.

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 02:40 PM
You didn't offer the choice of keeping the originally issued. The one I have is the one I started with in 1961. (Actually it was Kn7SGJ for a year back then) I don't contest, I'm not vain, and I don't need a call with my initials so I can remember it. I have plenty of other really important shit that I have trouble remembering, like yesterday.

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 02:46 PM
You didn't offer the choice of keeping the originally issued. The one I have is the one I started with in 1961. (Actually it was Kn7SGJ for a year back then) I don't contest, I'm not vain, and I don't need a call with my initials so I can remember it. I have plenty of other really important shit that I have trouble remembering, like yesterday.

Heh, that's cool. I kept my second call for over 20 years. My present call isn't my initials, but it's close. It sounds cool in CW. I tossed my second call for a couple of different reasons and my 'KLI call I ditched because I had a bunch of old farts giving me shit about using a call that only, in their opinion, old farts should be able to use.

ki4itv
12-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I kept my original call...
Mainly because the entirety of my vanity is tied up in other hobbies.

In my opinion, it only really matters if you are a contester and/or operate code exclusively. Some letters are just more advantageous than others under those circumstances.

Of course, my own exception will eventually arise and I will assume my dads original issue call. Not in a big hurry for that one.

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 03:02 PM
Heh, that's cool. I kept my second call for over 20 years. My present call isn't my initials, but it's close. It sounds cool in CW. I tossed my second call for a couple of different reasons and my 'KLI call I ditched because I had a bunch of old farts giving me shit about using a call that only, in their opinion, old farts should be able to use.

Piss on em.

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 03:34 PM
Piss on em.

Yeah well, this was back when I still gave a f*ck what people thought.

KB3LAZ
12-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Ill keep the call I was first issued, Im attached to it.

N8YX
12-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Piss on em.

Not to get overly Rumpus, but some would likely pay good money for that...and not admit it.

KG4CGC
12-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Same call as always throughout history. Having known others that have changed theirs with every upgrade and then still applying for a vanity call, I'd say I did the right thing.
dit dit copious gravy cup ...

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 04:44 PM
dit dit copious gravy cup ...

Really? I thought it stood for Cums Generously Charles.

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Not to get overly Rumpus, but some would likely pay good money for that...and not admit it.

LOL!!! I know at least a few who would ;)

KG4CGC
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
Crunchy Green Crackers

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Crunchy Green Crackers

Craps Golden Carrots

KG4CGC
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
Craps Golden Carrots

Lucrative!

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Crusty Green Cock

N7YA
12-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Valid question. I was issued AB7WY when i first got my extra in 97...while AB7WY was issued to me directly, it wasnt a friendly cw call (nor was it my initials, perhaps if i lived in Wyoming). So i set about looking for a suitable vanity call, i was issued this one, and it was from a previously unassigned block of 1x2's. My choice was easy because i am the first and original holder of a 1x2, i dont feel like i am some kind of renter of an SK callsign. I dont feel that way about others who have older, previously assigned vanity calls, but just for myself.

Pretty cut and dried here, the 2x2 didnt fit me, but the unassigned 1x2 did...and i do CW, DXing and contests. Your situation is a little bit more difficult as they assigned you your initials. I would say keep the initials because any 1x2 these days would be someone elses. The assigned one would be more special based on it being your initials assigned to you randomly. Just my thoughts.

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
Valid question. I was issued AB7WY when i first got my extra in 97...while AB7WY was issued to me directly, it wasnt a friendly cw call (nor was it my initials, perhaps if i lived in Wyoming). So i set about looking for a suitable vanity call, i was issued this one, and it was from a previously unassigned block of 1x2's. My choice was easy because i am the first and original holder of a 1x2, i dont feel like i am some kind of renter of an SK callsign. I dont feel that way about others who have older, previously assigned vanity calls, but just for myself.

Pretty cut and dried here, the 2x2 didnt fit me, but the unassigned 1x2 did...and i do CW, DXing and contests. Your situation is a little bit more difficult as they assigned you your initials. I would say keep the initials because any 1x2 these days would be someone elses. The assigned one would be more special based on it being your initials assigned to you randomly. Just my thoughts.

Not to mention you'd have to go to Uranus to find an aircraft with a AB7WY tail number.

NY3V
12-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Crunchy Green Crackers

Can't Grasp Concepts ;)

N7YA
12-09-2012, 05:42 PM
Great! Serves me right for not reading the rest of the thread before giving the man a nice, helpful answer. :lol:

WØTKX
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM
My FCC issued callsigns kind of sucked phoenetically and on CW. WB0CYU and KC0TLW. Ewww.

My current callsign is an SK elmers call, vanity. Good on voice and like Kelli's, it's got rhythm.

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 06:59 PM
My FCC issued callsigns kind of sucked phoenetically and on CW. WB0CYU and KC0TLW. Ewww.

My current callsign is an SK elmers call, vanity. Good on voice and like Kelli's, it's got rhythm.

Didn't know you were Catholic.

WØTKX
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
My kid sister was conceived with the rhythm method, despite all those thermometer charts. Surprise!

I'm profoundly ex-Catholic, for many good reasons.

AB3MV
12-09-2012, 08:15 PM

Actually, my current call sign assignment wasn't all that random. I held N3RQ as a vanity call sign for several years before requesting my current call sign. N3RQ was a virgin call sign in the amateur service when it is was assigned to me (however, it is the tail number of a light aircraft). I had been away from amateur radio for about eight months when something told me to visit the AE7Q web site. To my surprise, the last 2x2 A-prefix call sign that was issued in 3-land was AB3MU. The opportunity to get a sequentially issued initials call sign was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was also seriously thinking about going QRT at that point in time and did not want to tie up a valuable call sign, so I submitted a request for a new sequential call sign. Luckily, my application was the only Extra class sequential call sign request in the queue that evening.

N3RQ becomes available for reassignment in March, which is why I posted this question. I really liked operating with N3RQ, especially when using "radio" instead of Romeo. November Three Radio Quebec is a lot easier to say than Alpha Bravo Three Mike Victor (All But Three Monkeys Vomited does not go over very well :) ). I have been tempted to reapply for N3RQ, but I am hesitant to give up a sequential call sign that I like for a vanity call sign that I like a little better. I also do not want to be branded as a call sign hoarder.

KJ3N
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM

Moran. :neener:

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Moran. :neener:

Twatnozzle.

WX7P
12-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Actually, my current call sign assignment wasn't all that random. I held N3RQ as a vanity call sign for several years before requesting my current call sign. N3RQ was a virgin call sign in the amateur service when it is was assigned to me (however, it is the tail number of a light aircraft). I had been away from amateur radio for about eight months when something told me to visit the AE7Q web site. To my surprise, the last 2x2 A-prefix call sign that was issued in 3-land was AB3MU. The opportunity to get a sequentially issued initials call sign was a once in a lifetime opportunity. I was also seriously thinking about going QRT at that point in time and did not want to tie up a valuable call sign, so I submitted a request for a new sequential call sign. Luckily, my application was the only Extra class sequential call sign request in the queue that evening.

N3RQ becomes available for reassignment in March, which is why I posted this question. I really liked operating with N3RQ, especially when using "radio" instead of Romeo. November Three Radio Quebec is a lot easier to say than Alpha Bravo Three Mike Victor (All But Three Monkeys Vomited does not go over very well :) ). I have been tempted to reapply for N3RQ, but I am hesitant to give up a sequential call sign that I like for a vanity call sign that I like a little better. I also do not want to be branded as a call sign hoarder.

Get N3RQ back.

I regret giving up my original extra call that was sequentially issued in 1989 (WX7P) and tried to get it back, but I was about a month too late. The guy that got my old call is a big time contester and it's really weird for me to hear WX7P contest during all the major events.

I also held W6PV, but I ditched that because it didn't feel right. I was first licensed in 1983, so having an ancient 1x2 didn't work for me. If would have stayed in California, I would have kept NX6D, but I didn't want a call that far out of district in 9-land. WU9G works for me because it's a good contest call, which is all I pretty much do on the air anymore anyway.

I do have the license plates for all of my old calls. That's pretty cool...

kf0rt
12-09-2012, 10:44 PM
I really wanted AFART, but A isn't a number.

1x2's always win, though. Even if random.

W5GA
12-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Hands down, the 1x2. It's shorter on CW.

AB3MV
12-09-2012, 11:15 PM
I do have the license plates for all of my old calls. That's pretty cool...

Maryland doesn't allow a ham to keep his/her plates after changing a call signs. They have to be turned into the MVA.

I was much more active with N3RQ than I am with AB3MV. I still have about 300 blank N3RQ QSL cards. I've never bothered to order QSL cards for AB3MV because I haven't been very active. Basically, all I have done over the last two years is occasionally monitor six meters for openings. For some perverse reason, I love six meters. It's like a box of chocolates. A good friend who is also a ham thinks that I am crazy for being so dedicated to six.

KG4CGC
12-09-2012, 11:36 PM
My kid sister was conceived with the rhythm method, despite all those thermometer charts. Surprise!

I'm profoundly ex-Catholic, for many good reasons.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/192f53f1.jpg

W4GPL
12-10-2012, 02:32 AM
My original call was KE4DXS.. I always liked the DX part.. Sometimes I regret switching.

N7YA
12-10-2012, 02:35 AM

All But Three Monkeys Vomited??

I dont know, man! I may have to say its a good choice call right there. :lol:

KG4CGC
12-10-2012, 02:59 AM
A Dog Four My Granny

LOL

n6hcm
12-10-2012, 03:11 AM
i don't think 1x2 or 2x1 calls are even available in six-land anymore. yup--just not available.

KA9MOT
12-10-2012, 03:32 AM
My original call was KCØREY. I received it in 2003 when I lived in International Falls, MN. When my wife moved back to Illinois because she missed her mom, I figured that as badly as I did not want too, I had better or else. So there I was in IL with a Zero call and everybody kept complaining (especially since I was 20 miles from Zero Land (IA), I decided I'd try to get a 9 call. But not just any 9 call. My big brother Michael was a Novice back in the 1980s and had allowed his ticket to expire. I checked and it was available and he said he wouldn't be using it and on 02/09/2010 my call became KA9MOT.......

Meanwhile, Mike came by and is looking to take up Ham Radio again and said he didn't like KA9MOT when he had it......

PA5COR
12-10-2012, 03:52 AM
We can pick our calls or change them online here, picked my call because i wanted my name in it ( Cor).
Cost nothing to change callsign, nor do we pay any money for being ham as it was before.
License is for life, no need for renewal.

VE3FMC
12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I have had my call for 20 years. I chose it because I worked for Ford Motor Company.

When Canada introduced the VA call signs I could have got one, most likely with my initials. I decided not to do that for two reasons.

1. I like my call sign, or I would not have picked it 20 years ago.

2. I did not want a VA call. I prefer the VE call signs.

I do have a second call. That one was my later Father's one and only call sign he had for 31 years. When he passed away I took over his call sign. I never use it, but I did not want it to be re-issued. I paid $60 to have that call sign issued to me.

Now if I could get a VE3 call with my initials RP then I might grab that one. But is currently in use so I am not going to worry about that. VE3 Ford Motor Company serves me well. :)

W3WN
12-10-2012, 11:45 AM
If you had to choose between a sequentially issued A-prefix 2x2 call sign that contains your first and last initials and a non-initials vanity 1x2 call sign that had never been held in the amateur service, which call sign would you choose?A non-initials 1x2 that had never been held in the Amateur service? Is that even possible in this day & age?

The W series 1x2's were issued & reissued numerous times starting in the late 1920's (circa '28 and after). I'm not sure when the K 1x2's started, but it had to be in the late 50's and early 60's. I know the N 1x2's came available in the late 70's, after the Navy gave up some of the call sign blocks that they'd been using for Navy MARS.

I guess it's possible. But considering how many people have combed through the 1x2 calls over the years, between the current Vanity program, and other programs too numerous to mention over the decades... it just doesn't strike me as plausible.

W3WN
12-10-2012, 11:52 AM

N3RQ becomes available for reassignment in March, which is why I posted this question. I really liked operating with N3RQ, especially when using "radio" instead of Romeo. November Three Radio Quebec is a lot easier to say than Alpha Bravo Three Mike Victor (All But Three Monkeys Vomited does not go over very well :) ). I have been tempted to reapply for N3RQ, but I am hesitant to give up a sequential call sign that I like for a vanity call sign that I like a little better. I also do not want to be branded as a call sign hoarder.You went from W3MV to N3RQ to AB3MV?

http://www.ae7q.com/data/FrnHistory.php?FRN=0016011223

...and no, going back to N3RQ wouldn't brand you as a hoarder. Now, if you constantly rotated between AB3MV & N3RQ, effectively keeping one out of circulation, that would be a different story. I know of someone who rotates between about 3 calls that way, but since he's not a member of this site, let's keep his name out of this.

W3WN
12-10-2012, 11:54 AM
I really wanted AFART, but A isn't a number.

1x2's always win, though. Even if random.The FCC only issues hams K & W 2x3's. Not N or A ones.

There's always AFØRT or AF1RT. Just pronounce it with an accent.

KJ3N
12-10-2012, 12:04 PM
The FCC only issues hams K & W 1x3's. Not N or A ones.

Oh, really? You mean I was illegal for over a decade as N3JJA?

There's always AFØRT or AF1RT. Just pronounce it with an accent.

Visually, AF4RT would come close. ;)

W3WN
12-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Oh, really? You mean I was illegal for over a decade as N3JJA?

Visually, AF4RT would come close. ;)Nope, nope, nope, that was a typo. I meant 2x3's. Sorry about that.

AB3MV
12-10-2012, 01:03 PM
A non-initials 1x2 that had never been held in the Amateur service? Is that even possible in this day & age?

The W series 1x2's were issued & reissued numerous times starting in the late 1920's (circa '28 and after). I'm not sure when the K 1x2's started, but it had to be in the late 50's and early 60's. I know the N 1x2's came available in the late 70's, after the Navy gave up some of the call sign blocks that they'd been using for Navy MARS.

I guess it's possible. But considering how many people have combed through the 1x2 calls over the years, between the current Vanity program, and other programs too numerous to mention over the decades... it just doesn't strike me as plausible.

There were several 3-land N-prefix 1x2 call signs available that had no traceable history of being assigned in the amateur service when I picked up N3RQ back in 2007. N3RQ does not appear in the any of the call books that I have from the late seventies and early eighties, and none of the vanity call sign websites had any historical data for the call sign before it was issued to me. Clearly, N-prefix 1x2 call signs that contained the letter "Q" in the suffix were not all that desirable in 3-land in the seventies or the early days of the current vanity call sign program. From what I understand, there was still a small block of 3-land "Q" K-prefix 1x2s that had never been assigned until the mid-00s.

KJ3N
12-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Nope, nope, nope, that was a typo. I meant 2x3's. Sorry about that.

I was going to say..... ;)

AB3MV
12-10-2012, 02:14 PM
You went from W3MV to N3RQ to AB3MV?

I SK-cancelled W3MV before I fully grasped the reality that I was not fit to carry water for the hams who previously held the call sign. Joseph Koval held W3MV as a General class operator from shortly after the WWII until I SK-cancelled his license. I do not know how Mr. Koval managed to acquire W3MV, but he was born in 1906 and had had previously held a low W-prefix 1x3; therefore, he must have been an old-timer. The ham that held W3MV before Joseph Koval was Joseph Hunter. Mr. Hunter also held 3MV, so he was a really old-timer.

Not wanting to repeat the mistake that I made with W3MV and also not wanting to go back to a random A-prefix 2x2, I scanned the list of available 3-land call signs for 1x2s that had little to no history. That's how I stumbled across N3RQ. I asked W3HF to check to see if N3RQ had been issued in the seventies, and Steve said that he found nothing. I later confirmed that N3RQ does not appear in the 1977, 1979, 1980, or 1983 call books, so I had to be the first holder of the call sign.

I went to AB3MV because I was seriously considering going QRT and the opportunity existed to get a sequential 2x2 call sign that I could actually stand. With all of the bellyaching about how inactive hams are tying up valuable 1x2s, I thought it prudent to apply for a cool sequential call sign and let my 1x2 go back into the pool (where some 4-lander will more than likely scoop it up). That way, I would not be the target of yet another unhappy ham's misplaced anger if I went QRT.

Now, with the end of the two year period in which a ham can get his/her call sign back without competition drawing near, I have to make the decision to keep my current call sign (which I like) or go back to N3RQ (which I like a little better). I went through the same mental gyrations before W3MV became eligible for reassignment. In the end, I chose to allow another ham to have a shot at W3MV. The thing that makes N3RQ more difficult to let go is that I was the first ham to hold the call sign. The thing that makes AB3MV difficult to let go is that sequentially assigned "initials" call signs are extremely rare. The only other ham that I know of who has a sequentially assigned "initials" call sign is AC0FP, and he acquired the call sign by tracking sequential 2x2 call sign assignments. I acquired my sequentially assigned "initials" call sign through dumb luck (or divine intervention).

In the end, I am a winner if I keep my current call sign or go back to N3RQ. I have been very fortunate to have been able to hold call signs that a lot of hams outside of 3-land would die to hold.

W3WN
12-10-2012, 03:26 PM
There were several 3-land N-prefix 1x2 call signs available that had no traceable history of being assigned in the amateur service when I picked up N3RQ back in 2007. N3RQ does not appear in the any of the call books that I have from the late seventies and early eighties, and none of the vanity call sign websites had any historical data for the call sign before it was issued to me. Clearly, N-prefix 1x2 call signs that contained the letter "Q" in the suffix were not all that desirable in 3-land in the seventies or the early days of the current vanity call sign program. From what I understand, there was still a small block of 3-land "Q" K-prefix 1x2s that had never been assigned until the mid-00s.Yeah, I recall seeing that group of N3Qx calls, round 'bout 10 years ago.

Keep in mind, however, that the online systems only go back as far as electronic data exists. Also keep in mind that during the initial wave of 1x2 re-issues, in the 1960's (back when you had to have been an Extra for 25 years to qualify for one), and during several of the other rounds of 1x2 re-issues, the FCC simply re-issued calls sequentially; you got what they gave you. Other times, you had some levels of choice.

That's why, for example, the Penn State club's trustee, Virge Neilly (SK) got K3CA, and they got K3CR, back in the early 70's -- sequentially (re)issued. But a few years later, under a different set of rules, Virge's replacement as trustee, Chuck McMullen, asked for (and got) K3CM assigned.

Now, that said... when the current Vanity system started, there were a lot of people who were willing to take whatever 1x2 came along, just for the prestige of having one. Sometimes they didn't keep them very long.

Which why I said it's possible... but not sure how plausible.

W3WN
12-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I SK-cancelled W3MV before I fully grasped the reality that I was not fit to carry water for the hams who previously held the call sign. Joseph Koval held W3MV as a General class operator from shortly after the WWII until I SK-cancelled his license. I do not know how Mr. Koval managed to acquire W3MV, but he was born in 1906 and had had previously held a low W-prefix 1x3; therefore, he must have been an old-timer. The ham that held W3MV before Joseph Koval was Joseph Hunter. Mr. Hunter also held 3MV, so he was a really old-timer.

Not wanting to repeat the mistake that I made with W3MV and also not wanting to go back to a random A-prefix 2x2, I scanned the list of available 3-land call signs for 1x2s that had little to no history. That's how I stumbled across N3RQ. I asked W3HF to check to see if N3RQ had been issued in the seventies, and Steve said that he found nothing. I later confirmed that N3RQ does not appear in the 1977, 1979, 1980, or 1983 call books, so I had to be the first holder of the call sign.

I went to AB3MV because I was seriously considering going QRT and the opportunity existed to get a sequential 2x2 call sign that I could actually stand. With all of the bellyaching about how inactive hams are tying up valuable 1x2s, I thought it prudent to apply for a cool sequential call sign and let my 1x2 go back into the pool (where some 4-lander will more than likely scoop it up). That way, I would not be the target of yet another unhappy ham's misplaced anger if I went QRT.

Now, with the end of the two year period in which a ham can get his/her call sign back without competition drawing near, I have to make the decision to keep my current call sign (which I like) or go back to N3RQ (which I like a little better). I went through the same mental gyrations before W3MV became eligible for reassignment. In the end, I chose to allow another ham to have a shot at W3MV. The thing that makes N3RQ more difficult to let go is that I was the first ham to hold the call sign. The thing that makes AB3MV difficult to let go is that sequentially assigned "initials" call signs are extremely rare. The only other ham that I know of who has a sequentially assigned "initials" call sign is AC0FP, and he acquired the call sign by tracking sequential 2x2 call sign assignments. I acquired my sequentially assigned "initials" call sign through dumb luck (or divine intervention).

In the end, I am a winner if I keep my current call sign or go back to N3RQ. I have been very fortunate to have been able to hold call signs that a lot of hams outside of 3-land would die to hold.Well, that makes sense.

And I know what you mean about W3MV. I'm only the second holder of W3WN; the original W3WN got the call in the very early 1930's, possibly late 1920's, and held it for 16 years after he became a SK. (How is that possible? Call was renewed on expiration, 4 years after his passing. Probably by someone wanting to keep it out of circulation, possibly a family member who was considering it. 10 years later, it wasn't renewed, and was just nearing the end of the grace period when a call harvester I know made me aware of it).

Trivia: While I'm the 2nd W3WN, I'm the first Extra Class to hold it. The original W3WN was a General, originally a Class B ticket. At the time, it was not that unusual for a ham to be issued a 1x2. Only when 1x2's became scarce did 1x3's start going out.

X-Rated
12-10-2012, 03:37 PM
My first "2 letter" call was real slick. KY Zero Jelly. Then I moved to Texas and a few years later got Dubya Bush Five Laden. I kept that one until I moved to Illinois and then picked out "letters" from my original call for my only vanity ever and stuck a "9" in there.

KY0J would be a good one for WPX. Never got really attached to that one though. I usually only used it for one night contacts.

NY3V
12-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Hey, maybe we should have a Call Swap island Feature?

Who wants to swap for my old call of W0RRY? ;)

AB3MV
01-10-2013, 05:25 PM
...and no, going back to N3RQ wouldn't brand you as a hoarder. Now, if you constantly rotated between AB3MV & N3RQ, effectively keeping one out of circulation, that would be a different story.

Well, I applied to get N3RQ back last night. I submitted an application last month. However, there was a problem with the application, so I canceled it. We'll see if I go through with the call sign change.

W3WN
01-10-2013, 05:40 PM
I have to admit, there are still days that I wonder if giving up WN3VAW was a wise thing to do. And it's been 6 years now.

What I ought to have done was form a "club" and gotten it as a club call. Oh, I could still do that... legitimately I might add, just formally organize the gang that helps me operate contests as the Ron's Radio Room ARC, or Castle Shannon Fire Ducks ARC, or something like that. W3WH did that when he organized the WPa QRP ARC, and got his original W3IBT call back, in a fashion (always loved the phonetics: Itty Bitty Ti... Transmitty). I'd just have to have someone else in the DX club take over the W8XK trusteeship though.

That said, I'm quite comfortable with W3WN now. While there's another call or two that would tempt me (W3AW is one that comes to mind), at this point, I doubt I'd do it again. Not worth the hassling I'd get from K3EY... or is he back to W3QE or K3IVB again?

AB3MV
01-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Curt is currently K3EY, but he cycled through all three call signs in 2012. How does that guy operate when he changes his call sign so frequently? I have held AB3MV for two years, and I still catch myself calling CQ with my old call sign.

W3WN
01-11-2013, 11:19 AM
Curt is currently K3EY, but he cycled through all three call signs in 2012. How does that guy operate when he changes his call sign so frequently? I have held AB3MV for two years, and I still catch myself calling CQ with my old call sign.Oh, Curt is a character. Some find him colorful. Some find him... off color, if you get my drift.

He & I have some history. It's not a good one, especially when his brother-in-law & another buddy are involved. Got me forced out of a radio club for succesfully bringing harrasment charges against those other two. But this is not the time or place for that discussion.

But -- no, I don't understand how he gets away with cycling through these calls. The last time he was K3IVB, he blasted a few people (KA9MOT may remember this -- Steve, it was on the departed QTH forums) for not knowing he'd gone back to a minor variation of his original call (KA3IVB) in memory of his late wife, since she remembered the suffix, or something like that. And then he was back ti K3EY again. Go figure.

KJ3N
01-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Oh, Curt is a character.

Wow.... you're being generous. Are you on medication again?

W3WN
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Wow.... you're being generous. Are you on medication again?Not the good stuff, just the Januvia and Metformin.

I was being... kind. You know, the subtle approach. Besides, when he comes across this thread (and sooner or later, he will)... come to think of it, he's going to blast me anyway. But I still prefer the subtler approach.

Like I've said, I've known Curt for a long time.

AB3MV
01-11-2013, 10:57 PM
Well, my application wound up in the "Offlined by FCC" bin. I appears that all "former holder" applications have to go through "Offlined by FCC" purgatory. I am still on the fence about going through with the call sign change.

X-Rated
01-11-2013, 11:01 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that purgatory thing man. Like when I upgraded from Novice to General, it took 2 months to get my new license and new call. I bet your wait will be longer.

AB3MV
01-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that purgatory thing man. Like when I upgraded from Novice to General, it took 2 months to get my new license and new call. I bet your wait will be longer.

I doubt that I will have to wait two months. The FCC only needs to verify that I am the former holder of the call, and that operation takes less than a minute. The call sign is available for reassignment on 3/9.

AE1PT
01-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Actually, I would have preferred one of those obsolete Chicken Band calls. NOT! ;)

You mean like KBY1558? That brings back some very fond memories of the 1970s--when the CB Service was much more like the present day AR repeater culture. CB became a victim of its own social phenomenon popularity in the late 70s, and that is the end of that...

The option of choosing an unassigned 'A' series 2x2 as a vanity option with ones initials is missing from the poll. That would be the choice for me as that is what I did. From the very beginning of when it became apparent that the time, place, and interest coincided to fully jump into the hobby (after 40 years of near misses and wishful thinking) had arrived.

I never had any intention of keeping the 'K' series 2x3 to be sequentially assigned as a newly minted General Class. Prior to going in for testing on Elements 2 & 3, some research had been done at N4MC's site to plot out the future. The plan was to immediately apply for a 1x3 vanity, and change again a year later to an unassigned 2x2 call when I tested for Amateur Extra class. Both would contain my initials. The plan was also to take the Element 1 exam before it dropped off the menu--but hernia surgery intervened and set things off a full month and poof! that option was gone... :(

FCC issued me KI4UMG. The guy sat next to me ended up with KI4UMF. Tim never really got that some referred to him as "Ugly Mother Fucker", but anyway... N4PRT was in my hands less than a week after the original call appeared in ULS. Much more CW friendly too. That call had only been out once, and had been back in the pasture for over 8 years. It took more than a year before motivation set in to do Element 4, and AE1PT was still available--never before being assigned. So I got what I wanted, did not have to think about renting a dead ham's call, and had a fairly Morse friendly call with my initials. It will never change again, as I like it, and see no need to ever have a 1x2 or 2x1 call.

The people that I really don't understand are those that fight each other to get a 1x2/2x1 and then end up later changing to another. Makes no sense, but then there are a lot of things about this hobby that make no sense...

ON EDIT:

Actually, if A1OF were available, I might reconsider... :cool2:

And the full circle of things? My 'handle' to go with KBY1558 was Papa Tango... :twisted:

suddenseer
01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
My first two call signs were WN8YUD, then WB8YUD. I allowed my license to expire. When the second vanity gate opened for me I applied for full vanity. i wanted my initials. I received my 3rd choice in the vanity call lottery. I do not think it had been issued before. I am the kind not to lose any sleep over it if it was reissued. The old coots were no better than the young folks going into the hobby today. They were just born much earlier. They met the requirements of the day. They just did not have access to all of the free porn that the internet offers today. Sucks being them.

X-Rated
01-29-2013, 01:05 PM
At the time I applied for the vanity call, I had 14 other picks that were available at the time. N9XR was the first pick.

1. N9XR 6. N9ZR 11. N9GQ
2. N9KU 7. N9IH 12. K9UH
3. K9YI 8. N9SJ 13. K9VS
4. K9UI 9. K9SZ 14. K9VO
5. N9ZL 10. N9JY 15. N9IH

Pick #10 was my first initial and the last letter of my first name. But at the time, I just threw out a bunch of callsigns mostly certain I would get N9XR. This was in Dec 2000.

EDIT: Well maybe I liked N9IH better. Who knows since I put it down twice.

WX7P
01-29-2013, 01:22 PM
FCC issued me KI4UMG. The guy sat next to me ended up with KI4UMF. Tim never really got that some referred to him as "Ugly Mother Fucker", but anyway... N4PRT was in my hands less than a week after the original call appeared in ULS. Much more CW friendly too. That call had only been out once, and had been back in the pasture for over 8 years. It took more than a year before motivation set in to do Element 4, and AE1PT was still available--never before being assigned. So I got what I wanted, did not have to think about renting a dead ham's call, and had a fairly Morse friendly call with my initials. It will never change again, as I like it, and see no need to ever have a 1x2 or 2x1 call.

The people that I really don't understand are those that fight each other to get a 1x2/2x1 and then end up later changing to another. Makes no sense, but then there are a lot of things about this hobby that make no sense...

ON EDIT:

Actually, if A1OF were available, I might reconsider... :cool2:

And the full circle of things? My 'handle' to go with KBY1558 was Papa Tango... :twisted:

Heh,

I was trustee for a number of club calls in the late 90's and one of them was the Mustang Ranch ARC, KF7UCK.

I got hate mail over that one...

X-Rated
01-29-2013, 01:41 PM
When I was at the previous company, a guy there got the call KC9HMF. We called him Huge for short.

Yeah. You can still look up KF7UCK on the ULS. Pretty funny. You had it for 6 and a half months. LOL

W3WN
01-30-2013, 01:25 PM
Heh,

I was trustee for a number of club calls in the late 90's and one of them was the Mustang Ranch ARC, KF7UCK.

I got hate mail over that one...Really? Takes all kinds, I guess.

More importantly, though... how many people wanted to know how to join the club?

N7YA
01-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Really? Takes all kinds, I guess.

More importantly, though... how many people wanted to know how to join the club?

I simply would have wanted a card! Awesome call.

X-Rated
01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Or simply going that ever elusive Alaska callsign, KL1T.

N2RJ
01-31-2013, 03:49 PM
I was browsing vanityhq and I saw that n2rj was available. So I took it. Pure luck.

Good thing I did, with the flood of no code Extras, 1x2s are now in short supply.

X-Rated
01-31-2013, 04:21 PM
My kids didn't want their initials. They could have applied for those, but one was a gangsta and went for K1LLA and the other said WTF.

I guess I got them crappy initials.

AE1PT
02-01-2013, 02:30 PM
I was browsing vanityhq and I saw that n2rj was available. So I took it. Pure luck.

Good thing I did, with the flood of no code Extras, 1x2s are now in short supply.

http://ae1pt.com/photos/imh/awshucks.jpg

n0iu
02-03-2013, 12:45 AM
I like my vanity call (duh!). I chose because I went to school where this guy used to coach --

http://cache.deadspin.com/assets/images/11/2008/02/knightmoves.jpg

But its kind of a funny story of how I actually got it...
(Well it wasn't all that funny at the time)

So its just after Thanksgiving 1996. My sequential call (that I EARNED by passing 5 written tests and 3 CW tests) in 1995 was AAØZS. If I had waited another day or so it might have been AAØZZ and I would have kept it!

But anyway...

The FCC had just started messing around with online application filing. This was long before the ULS system and was far from perfect. (Yeah, I know. You can't use "FCC" and "perfect" in the same sentence anyway!)

But I digress...

So I go to the WTB section of fcc.gov and fill out the request for the vanity callsign that I now hold. They also made it a point to remind vanity applicants that their request would not be considered until they filled out a Form 159 and mailed in the appropriate payment. This was also long before they took credit cards!

I never sent in the payment and promptly forgot about the application figuring it was a lost cause and that it would never be granted.

So on February 17, 1997, over 2½ months after filling out the application, I get my new license with my new callsign in the mail! Yipee! I beat the system! Someone in Gettysburg obviously fucked up and issued the callsign without the payment. It happens!

Well, my good luck ran out about a year later when I got another window envelope from Gettysburg. Someone finally figured out what had happened and they DEMANDED payment for the vanity callsign within 10 days or my license would be revoked since it was acquired under false pretenses! They could have said that if I did not pay they would take away the vanity callsign and give me my old callsign back or even give me the next sequential callsign, but NO! So they screw up and their solution is to threaten to revoke my license! But that is easy to understand since this guy was president at the time!

http://a.abcnews.com/images/Business/ap_bill_clinton_zero_speech_wb.jpg
("Hey y'all. This is how much I'm gonna pay in taxes this year!")

Obviously I sent in the check and that was the last time I voted for a Democrat!

Just wanted to share.

X-Rated
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
Republicans always brag that the stuff that transpired after 1994 was their doing. Besides, the FCC is a Congressional Commission. But don't let facts get in your way.

n0iu
02-04-2013, 09:13 AM
But don't let facts get in your way.

Why start now?

W3WN
02-04-2013, 11:17 AM
< snip >
Besides, the FCC is a Congressional Commission. But don't let facts get in your way.
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent agency of the United States government (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Independent_agencies_of_the_United_States_governme nt), created by Congressional (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/United_States_Congress) statute (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Statute) (see 47 U.S.C. (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Title_47_of_the_United_States_Code) § 151 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/151.html) and 47 U.S.C. (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Title_47_of_the_United_States_Code) § 154 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/154.html)), and with the majority of its commissioners appointed by the current President (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/President_of_the_United_States). The FCC works towards six goals in the areas of broadband (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Broadband), competition (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Competition), the spectrum (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Radio_frequency), the media (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Media_(communication)), public safety (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Public_safety) and homeland security (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Homeland_security). The Commission is also in the process of modernizing itself.

The FCC took over wire communication regulation from the Interstate Commerce Commission (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Interstate_Commerce_Commission). The FCC's mandated jurisdiction covers the 50 states (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/U.S._state), the District of Columbia (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/District_of_Columbia), and U.S. possessions (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/U.S._possessions). The FCC also provides varied degrees of cooperation, oversight, and leadership for similar communications bodies in other countries of North America (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/North_America). The FCC is funded entirely by regulatory fees. It has an estimated fiscal-2011 budget of US $335.8 million and a proposed fiscal-2012 budget of $354.2 million. It has 1,898 federal employees.

-- The Facts according to Wikipedia. Just to be precise.

X-Rated
02-05-2013, 05:59 PM
You must conclude that they are a rogue organization or they report to someone regardless of who hired them.

AB3MV
02-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Well, I am amazed that five people have picked choice number one. While A-prefix 2x2 call signs appear to be shed faster than K-prefix 2x3 call signs, they may soon join 1x2s and 2x1s as coveted call signs now that 4-Land has exhausted the Group A 2x2 call sign pool. Extra class licensees who request a new sequential call sign in 4-Land now receive Group B K-prefix 2x2 call signs.

X-Rated
02-07-2013, 10:35 AM
I guess it's better than the Group W bench.

W3WN
02-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I guess it's better than the Group W bench.Oh? I'll have to ask W9UK about that, he used to work for Group W / Westinghouse Broadcasting.