PDA

View Full Version : When is a Good Time for 60M?

KB3ZGV
12-08-2012, 09:23 PM
I keep listening to 60 and never hear anything. When is a good time? I must be listening at the wrong times or doing something else wrong.

NQ6U
12-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Every year at 06:00Z on December 7th. You just missed it. Too bad, the DXing was hot—I worked a P5A.

N2CHX
12-08-2012, 11:03 PM
5MHz has predictable propagation qualities that combine the best aspects of 40 meters and 80 meters. In areas of the world above 35 degrees of latitude, 60 meters is often the best (or only) NVIS band during daylight hours. In more equatorial latitudes, 5MHz provides constant NVIS communications during hours of twilight and darkness. Many non-governmental and governmental HF systems around the world depend upon 5MHz daily. The Rock Band is always open to somewhere.

5MHz channels are a shared resource with many users. Especially on this band, it is very important to use the lowest power necessary for communications. The Rock Band is always open to somewhere. At night, you may find that 20 Watts is sufficient. In many countries, amateurs are secondary users and must QRT when a primary station is on the channel. For this reason, transmission time should be kept to a minimum, and it is best to wait a few seconds before responding during a QSO conversation. Considerate hams usually try to avoid longwinded ragchews during peak evening hours whenever activity is high and propagation is open for wide regional communications on the 5MHz channels.

http://hflink.com/60meters/

N8YX
12-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Channeling Bonnie here is a good way to get an Insta-Ban, sister. :snicker:

That said, 60M frequencies start to come alive around late afternoon, go "long" about 3h or so afterwards then remain usable until just after local sunrise at either endpoint.

Put a receiver on WWV at 5.000MHz. As you hear that station behave, so will 60M.

N2CHX
12-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Channeling Bonnie here is a good way to get an Insta-Ban, sister. :snicker:

Hahahahaha! I was wondering if someone was gonna catch that or not.

In all seriousness, WWV on all frequencies is very useful for determining propagation in various bands. There are also quite a few beacons on 60 meters. If you never hear anything, ever, chances are there's either a problem with your radio or your antenna.

N8OBM
12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
I keep listening to 60 and never hear anything. When is a good time? I must be listening at the wrong times or doing something else wrong.

I use 60 meters a fair bit. Its the best band for talking to a couple of friends back home in Michigan. As I live near Albany NY Noise levels and propagation often make contact on 40 or 80 nearly impossible without serious power. 60 meters is nice, stable, and quiet. I can catch up with Des no problem. It's interesting that almost every time Des and I talk on 60 meters for more than 10 minutes a few other people jump up to work us. Kind of fun. We usually text each other to set up the QSO. A very cool resource IMHO.

Archie N8OBM

K7SGJ
12-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Shit, I've been doing it all wrong. I call my buddy 60M to set up a text sked on the cell phone.

KB3ZGV
12-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Go figure I just figured I'd try 60, and ended up having a QSO. Only about 30 miles away, but it's something. I was beginning to think 60 and 6 were both just dead.

VE7MGF
12-09-2012, 07:49 PM
since we don't have 60m up here yet i am wondering who the primary users are
i have not heard any activity on 60m
could also be a crappy ant

WØTKX
12-09-2012, 09:40 PM
RTTY is common, and not just on our authorized "channels".