PDA

View Full Version : For our car buffs

PA5COR
12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Lucas is an acronomym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
The Prince's last words to his son: "don't go riding after dark"
The lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"
Lucas-inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas-inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three-positions Lucas switch- DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
The other three switch settings SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.
Lucas dip-switch positions : HIGH and BLOW.
The original anti-theft devices: Lucas Electric Products"
I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any probl____________
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.
Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947 , tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohms Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met to much resistance.
To owner of a Land Rover: "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" Owner: "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"
During the 1970's , Lucas diversified its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product Lucas ever offered which didn't suck.
Lucas Quality Control often adviced the engineering departement that their designs had problems with shorting out. Engineering always made the wires a little longer.
Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators too.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, Thomas Edison invented the light-bulb, and Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.
Lucas systems actually use AC current; it just has a random frequency.
How to make AIDS dissapear? Give it a Lucas parts number.
Lucas won over Bosch to supply electrics for the new Volkswagens so cars from the Black Forest have electric systems made by the Prince of Darkness.
https://forums.hamisland.net/images/smilies/wink.png

kb2crk
12-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Lucas is an acronomym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
The Prince's last words to his son: "don't go riding after dark"
The lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"
Lucas-inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas-inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three-positions Lucas switch- DIM, FLICKER and OFF.
The other three switch settings SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.
Lucas dip-switch positions : HIGH and BLOW.
The original anti-theft devices: Lucas Electric Products"
I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any probl____________
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start either.
Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.
It's not true that Lucas, in 1947 , tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohms Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met to much resistance.
To owner of a Land Rover: "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" Owner: "It doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"
During the 1970's , Lucas diversified its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product Lucas ever offered which didn't suck.
Lucas Quality Control often adviced the engineering departement that their designs had problems with shorting out. Engineering always made the wires a little longer.
Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas made their refrigerators too.
Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, Thomas Edison invented the light-bulb, and Joseph Lucas invented the short circuit.
Lucas systems actually use AC current; it just has a random frequency.
How to make AIDS dissapear? Give it a Lucas parts number.
Lucas won over Bosch to supply electrics for the new Volkswagens so cars from the Black Forest have electric systems made by the Prince of Darkness.
https://forums.hamisland.net/images/smilies/wink.png
LMAO!!!!

kb2vxa
12-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, Joseph Lucas invented the burned out light bulb.

KB3ZGV
12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
I always wonder how Lucas ever got such a large share of the market.

PA5COR
12-08-2012, 04:46 AM
Simple, The UK had a very large car manufacturing base, and Lucas was local and cheap.
When the cars were new the electrics worked fine, just after a few years the problem started outside the warranty period, so no concern for the car manufacturing firms...

HUGH
12-08-2012, 02:53 PM
Sorry Gents but I had British cars with Lucas electrics for 46 years and in all that time, apart from batteries, I only had to replace one ignition coil and two distributor caps. Cars were all Morris except for one Triumph 2000.

KB3ZGV
12-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Well you Britts must have kept all the "good Lucas" and sent the the inferior stuff to the USA.

HUGH
12-08-2012, 03:45 PM
I can only suggest that subcontracting is the name of the game.

WA4TM
12-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Well you Britts must have kept all the "good Lucas" and sent the the inferior stuff to the USA.

Not really, it's just that the electrons get confused crossing over to the other side.:evil: As in left hand drive vs right hand drive..

KB3ZGV
12-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I always wondered if Lucas had such a large market share in GB because of some kind of domestic industry protective legislation.

I worked on lots of European cars and bikes back in the 70's and 80's and even from new the Lucas stuff was marginal.

N8YX
12-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Sorry Gents but I had British cars with Lucas electrics for 46 years and in all that time, apart from batteries, I only had to replace one ignition coil and two distributor caps. Cars were all Morris except for one Triumph 2000.
Triumph motorcycles.

Zener regulators, courtesy of Lucas.

'Nuff said...