PDA

View Full Version : DVR

X-Rated
12-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Wal Mart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-500GB-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner/20710258?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=35-7587516-2&adid=1500000000000036337750&veh=cse#rr) has a DVR I was looking at. It says "up conversion to 1080p". Does that mean it records in 525i and upconverts to 1080p?

If it like records at 720p and upconverts from there, I don't think I'd care.

Confusgo, IL

N2CHX
12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Without looking at the actual specs, you can't really tell what quality it actually records at. But yes, it sounds like it will upconvert from whatever mode/resolution it records in to a maximum of 1080p. Really, all this means is that it will accommodate a display with a resolution of up to 1080p. The actually record quality could be as low as 480i. Who knows? Best to look at the entire list of specs. At the very least, see what the quality is like on a display model.

X-Rated
12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Does anyone have a DVR anymore? I purchased a cheap digital tuner from ebay and set it on my laptop and get amazing recordings from the TV stations here. But I have never had a regular DVR. I look at the specs, and they don't say a thing. They just say they up-convert to 1080p levels.

To me, 480 is pretty bad. However the difference that I see between 720 and 1080 is visible but nil IMO because only the slanted lines are really affected. So upconverting from 720 would be fine with me. I realize that the higher the resolution, the more data is required to make that recording. But I never had one of these, I don't see the recording resolution on the specifications, and I don't know if these DVR's really record great pictures.

Just curious.

n6hcm
12-06-2012, 08:31 PM
see if there are reviews for the product on amazon. there's often good insight to be had (if you can sort the wheat from the chaff).

koØm
12-07-2012, 10:24 AM
......Speaking of DVRs, Yesterday at 5:00 AM I got out of bed and turned the PC in my room on, after it had booted up, I klicked on the icon for Beyond TV Link (http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtvlink/)which, is the client to my Beyond TV server (http://www.snapstream.com/products/beyondtv/)(P-4 at 3GHZ Intel chassis with 5 Digital /Analog TV Tuners 500 Gigs of storage). I then started get my kid up and ready for the School bus, a few minutes later when I went to turn on the morning news, I received the message that "The was no BTV server located on my network".

"Gasp of horror", my Server PC was powered off and would not power on. It is now 5:15 AM.

I feed my kid and get him to the school bus at 6:20 AM, ten minutes later, I'm back in the door and the access panel is off the PC.

I have to gently slide it partially out of the cabinet (4 CATV wires and a S-Video in from the cable box, Audio in and out wires, netorrk cable, FM Antenna and Power cord) to do work on it.

Powersupply was cooked (PC runs 24-7 to catch recordings) so, no juice to the Mo-Bo! Where do you find a 300 watt ATX power supply at 7:00 AM?

You find it in the Hoard/Spares box; by 7:30 AM, I'm drinking coffee and watching "Good Morning America".

I would hate to buy a Stand alone DVR or pay the cable service for it.