Just got your flame suit back from the cleaners, Huh?:lol:

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 07:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXYZttxunPw

KA9MOT
12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/20z5wr8.jpg

I want to get one to use on 3875 AM

Have ya' got nothing else to do? Have you ever been caught Masturbating in the closet?

WØTKX
12-05-2012, 08:58 PM
He takes pictures of himself in said closet, and posts them on 4chan.

VE7DCW
12-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Oh dear.......one of the few things one does not do on a Ham radio site...... mention echo mikes and "cool" in the same thread! ..... here's hoping that flame suit does'nt get too hot for you... :omg:

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 09:39 PM

How about you get one and only use it on 27.025?

N8YX
12-05-2012, 10:25 PM
How about you get one and only use it on 27.025?

Because the big strappas will drop the maul on a noob for putting that kind of garbage on their channel, that's why.

KB3ZGV
12-05-2012, 11:13 PM
I guess Astatic kinda "sold out" sometime in the last 35 years when I wasn't paying attention.

In the 70's Astatic was no nonsense quality shit.

KA9MOT
12-06-2012, 03:32 AM
I guess Astatic kinda "sold out" sometime in the last 35 years when I wasn't paying attention.

In the 70's Astatic was no nonsense quality shit.

Got caught in the closet eh? Lousy hiding spot.

KB3ZGV
12-06-2012, 03:47 AM
I was going to buy one just for a joke, but the damn things are expensive. It ain't 100 bucks worth of funny.

KB3LAZ
12-06-2012, 06:20 AM
If you want a mic that looks "interesting" An Icom SM-10 looks similar and is designed for ham radio, well for Icom.

Ofc, this is in the CB forum so, maybe you want it for a CB. :P

PA5COR
12-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Using the microphone i bought in 1977 when i got my license, Yaesu MD-1 connected to the EQplus from W2IHY does the trick here, it has a form of delay and echo but but very little which i don't use.
The bass and treble is used as is the excellent compressor and limiter and downwards expander.
I build into the EQplus my morse callsign generator i build in 1977, diode matrix was the bee's knees then scanned with 4017 and 555 as clock i.c.
A LED on the front shows the callsign generator sending out the call, and it is switchable to off if need be.

With the downwards expander i try to keep background noises out of the signal and quench room noises like echo...
Having the mike on a boom it is spoken into from 2 inches to get a as direct sound as possible.
Maybe i should build in the K beep as well ;) Nahhhh.

N2CHX
12-06-2012, 07:26 AM
I build into the EQplus my morse callsign generator i build in 1977, diode matrix was the bee's knees then scanned with 4017 and 555 as clock i.c.
A LED on the front shows the callsign generator sending out the call, and it is switchable to off if need be.

That's exactly the circuit my 22 meter beacon uses for keying. Four 4017's cascaded, with a diode matrix. I really should update it, as it draws way too much power. I never realized just how much until I made the whole thing solar powered.

N8YX
12-06-2012, 07:50 AM
I think I'll buy one of those "Mule Fart/Tarzan-Girl Screamer" mics for the times I feel like checking into the Marconi Net. Yeah, that's it...

w0aew
12-06-2012, 08:59 AM
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4610347575935803&pid=1.7&w=235&h=155&c=7&rs=1

WØTKX
12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
I think a digital recording of a "Tram Clang" would be cool to use as a Roger Beep.

kb2vxa
12-06-2012, 03:07 PM
These days it's anything for a buck and echo mics being popular it comes as no surprise. Just add a space and you have the name right, A Static.

"I think I'll buy one of those "Mule Fart/Tarzan-Girl Screamer" mics for the times I feel like checking into the Marconi Net."
Oh crap, you bring back memories. Before added to mics those modules could be hooked up to anything and the owner of a local at the time (Linden, NJ) repeater hooked one up to the controller. It had the screwiest IDs and courtesy tones imaginable and became known as the Tarzan and Jane repeater. I forget the circumstances but he was "asked" to remove it but that didn't cause those who left to return, soon after it went dark because nobody used it anymore.

Speaking of courtesy tones, sometimes repeaters have rather odd ones. I remember one in New York City with a frog, we loved to kerchunk it from time to time just to hear it croak.

"I think a digital recording of a "Tram Clang" would be cool to use as a Roger Beep."
Oh no, the old WABC NY chime that accompanied ID after every record was so loud and annoying I'd sit with my hand on the volume control and cuss myself when I wasn't quick enough. It made me think of talkback from the mod iron, you could probably hear it in Pennsylvania.

NQ6U
12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna put an echo mic with a roger beep on my IC-7800.

KG4CGC
12-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Just key you bug once or twice at the end of every transmission.

n2ize
12-16-2012, 03:05 PM

Sorry, but that style of audio processing won't win you any points amongst the AM crowd that hangs out there. To sound good on AM you are going to need your transmitter to be clean and to pass a nice clean frequency response with some decent fidelity.. You will also need a good external audio chain, including at least an equalizer to compensate for nonlinear audio response or to attenuate undesirable frequencies, a compressor/limiter that is preferably capable of some asymetrical peak limiting. and , last but not least a decent studio quality microphone. Another component of AM operation is, a scope... for quality audio you want to monitor what the signal you are putting on the air looks like. You can also use the scope to provide critical reports to other stations as well. You will also find that a little bit of audio processing goes a long way in producing clean, stable AM audio with good fidelity. It also depends on what type of radio you are running. Although they have been the mainstay of AM for many decades the old plate modulated boat anchors don;t nessesarily sound that good until some mods are done inside the transmitter...sauch as adding negative feedback, replacing the coupling and bypass condensers, etc.. and there are a lot of other different mods that can be done. A lot of the modern rigs sound excellent on AM provided you roll back the carrier. To compensate for the weaker signal you can run them into an amp. Other stations prefer to "roll their own" transmitters and build up their own plate modulated "big rigs" or build up solid state class E rigs.

You'll go a lot farther on AM if you avoid coming on with a CB quality echo box. Instead , leave the echo box out of line and join an AM QSO one night with whatever rig you have on hand and follow the advice and ideas of experienced AM'ers. Most of those guys are very knowledgeable and will go out of the way to help.

Go about it the right way and you'll have a strapping signal with great fidelity. You'll have that true awesome New England/East Coast Hi-Fi AM sound.