PDA

View Full Version : 6903.5 USB

KB3ZGV
12-05-2012, 04:57 PM
What am I hearing there? They were using calls that started AA or AAR.

K7SGJ
12-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Dyslexic pirates? Aar aar aar

N8YX
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Army MARS stations.

Navy or Marine Corps MARS nets use NNN.

kb2crk
12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Army MARS stations.

Navy or Marine Corps MARS nets use NNN.

Yup, Army MARS.....

and outside the ham bands.. Those are Military frequencies... Legal to listen to but don't transmit there...

Paul
KB2CRK
Ex AAR4KT
Ex NNN0PIL

KB3ZGV
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Do they serve any real purpose, or is it a whacker thing?

kb2crk
12-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Do they serve any real purpose, or is it a whacker thing?

They used to do a lot of family correspondence prior to modern satellite and VOIP communication. Marsgrams still exist but have become rare and there are still some phone patch stations still in operation for service men to communicate with their families. Yes it is out of date and there are easier ways now. They also train for emergency and disaster situations and no they don't run out with orange vests to the scene. They pass and handle traffic for information or good will and train for both.

WA4TM
12-05-2012, 07:01 PM
They used to do a lot of family correspondence prior to modern satellite and VOIP communication. Marsgrams still exist but have become rare and there are still some phone patch stations still in operation for service men to communicate with their families. Yes it is out of date and there are easier ways now. They also train for emergency and disaster situations and no they don't run out with orange vests to the scene. They pass and handle traffic for information or good will and train for both.

Right, when I was in Vietnam in '67 - '68 it was about the only way for the average guy to communicate with home with the exception of mail of course.

kb2crk
12-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Right, when I was in Vietnam in '67 - '68 it was about the only way for the average guy to communicate with home with the exception of mail of course.

And was that way up through desert storm... Things started to change in the late 90's as technology became more available.

kb2vxa
12-05-2012, 07:11 PM
That's interesting, that bottom slice of 40M used to be for HF telephone relay using full duplex suppressed carrier ISB. Poland was the last to go dark, when it did the pirates took over, I had no idea the band was reassigned. This must be a recent development, seems the pirates no longer have exclusive use of the band.

kb2crk
12-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Earlier this year before leaving Navy Mars They were operating just over 7mhz when conditions over 4mhz went in the crapper.

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Yup, Army MARS.....

and outside the ham bands.. Those are Military frequencies... Legal to listen to but don't transmit there...

Paul
KB2CRK
Ex AAR4KT
Ex NNN0PIL

Wow, Paul. You used to be an Army and Navy Martian?

WØTKX
12-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Utility DX spotters find weird stuff there, an interesting area of the RF spectrum.
Besides the military stuff, I've heard numbers voice stations, and pirates.

Even some PSK numbers stations. That was a little odd, and amusing.

kb2crk
12-05-2012, 08:15 PM
Wow, Paul. You used to be an Army and Navy Martian?

In the late 90's I was involved with army Mars
over the last couple years it has been navy MARS but let it go as I had timing issues getting into the nets.. work keeps getting in the way.

W6VM
12-09-2012, 09:23 PM
you can always come back to NMCM anytime and your always welcome. I understand the time constraints it puts on people, but if you change your mind come on back.
steve
w6vm
NNN0KQE/NNN0GBN ONE.