PDA

View Full Version : Hey, isn't the world supposed to end in a week or two?

KB3ZGV
12-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Anybody know for sure what time? I want to have an alarm or something so I don't sleep through it.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 03:30 PM
This Solstice the Sun is supposed to align with the Earth on one side and the equator of our galaxy on the other side with the giant black hole at the center of our galaxy. This is supposed to cause the Sun to act as a lens and amplify the magnitude of the effect of the black hole's pull. Instead of a moderate shift in the magnetic poles there will be a violent jerk thus slamming tectonic plates all over the place while there will also be a brief period when there will be no gravity as we know it before everything gets slammed backed down to the surface.

Or nothing at all will happen and we will continue to argue politics and kill each other over religion.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm not sure which of those options would be worse, Charles.

VE7DCW
12-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Supposedly the mysterious wandering planet Nibiru is going to cruise through the solar system on or around the 21st of December and knock earth into the galactic corner pocket ...... I have'nt seen any sign of it yet.Looks like it's going to be an late arrival.....oh well :-?

KJ3N
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm not sure which of those options would be worse, Charles.

Oh, that's easy. The second one.

At least with the first one, it'll be finally quiet around here. ;)

WØTKX
12-04-2012, 03:48 PM
11 meters will be CW and digital only. :mrgreen:

N2CHX
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
If the world ended today it wouldn't bother me a bit. Bring it.

KB3ZGV
12-04-2012, 03:49 PM
This Solstice the Sun is supposed to align with the Earth on one side and the equator of our galaxy on the other side with the giant black hole at the center of our galaxy. This is supposed to cause the Sun to act as a lens and amplify the magnitude of the effect of the black hole's pull. Instead of a moderate shift in the magnetic poles there will be a violent jerk thus slamming tectonic plates all over the place while there will also be a brief period when there will be no gravity as we know it before everything gets slammed backed down to the surface.

Or nothing at all will happen and we will continue to argue politics and kill each other over religion.

What do you think that will do to 80M propagation?

N2CHX
12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
If I hear or read the terms mainstream media or lamestream media one more time, I'll f*ckin end the world myself.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
What do you think that will do to 80M propagation?

You'll be doing EME on 80m.

N2CHX
12-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey, if Lil Wayne, Mel Gibson and Shirley MacLaine believe it, it must be true :snicker:

http://www.december212012.com/celebrity_believers.htm

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 03:58 PM
If I hear or read the terms mainstream media or lamestream media one more time, I'll f*ckin end the world myself.

An oasis of hope in a vast sea of depravity.

N2CHX
12-04-2012, 04:05 PM
The signs, they're everywhere!

http://www.december212012.com/photo_gallery/2012_signs.htm

:rofl:

OMFG, I needed a good laugh today.

n2ize
12-04-2012, 04:14 PM
The sad part of this crap conspiracy theory is that it actually has people believing in it. Of particular concern to me are young people who are taken in by this nonsense and who have become depressed, withdrawn, and even suicidal. And I am not making this up. There are recorded cases of young people who have required counseling and/or emergency help to deal with this. There is no black hol about to swallow the earth. There is no "Nibru". The Mayan calendar does not predict an end. It just rolls back to zero and continues on a new cycle. This is an example of why I hate conspiracy theories.

KB3ZGV
12-04-2012, 04:15 PM
You'll be doing EME on 80m.

But without gravity, there won't be any centripetal force to keep the moon in orbit. I would think it would go shooting off into space. There may be some Doppler effect on the frequency if that happens.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 04:28 PM
But without gravity, there won't be any centripetal force to keep the moon in orbit. I would think it would go shooting off into space. There may be some Doppler effect on the frequency if that happens.

Low or no gravity will only last a few minutes, maybe an hour. Not sure but I'll go check the schedule on that. I'd be more worried about the loss of atmosphere which will include all the magnetically influenced and electrical layers.

The Mayans also said that a giant god will return to judge our progress and that if we all don't get along, he will smite us into tiny pieces.
Yes. Basically a 900,000 year old alien.

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Yea, they keep talking about this galactic alignment, when the sun passes between the earth and the center of the galaxy during sunrise on the solstice.

So cool....but the last time I heard that I had to form the question...is that the only time that the sun blocks the center of the universe? Or does that happen other times when it's NOT sunrise or NOT the solstice?

I've got my Ferrari on order...the dealership assures me I'll get it in time for at least a few days of fun!

BTW...the last time that alignment happened coincided with the end of the last ice age.

KB3ZGV
12-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I'll tell you what, I ain't buying no green bananas

n2ize
12-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Yea, they keep talking about this galactic alignment, when the sun passes between the earth and the center of the galaxy during sunrise on the solstice.

So cool....but the last time I heard that I had to form the question...is that the only time that the sun blocks the center of the universe? Or does that happen other times when it's NOT sunrise or NOT the solstice?

I've got my Ferrari on order...the dealership assures me I'll get it in time for at least a few days of fun!

BTW...the last time that alignment happened coincided with the end of the last ice age.

On any day the rising sun must align with something or other in the heavens. But oops, that's science and science is crap. The world ended already, we just don't know it.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 04:55 PM
On any day the rising sun must align with something or other in the heavens. But oops, that's science and science is crap. The world ended already, we just don't know it.

Maybe we're all a diverse race of aliens that transform and send ourselves to this dimension to take the ride.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Yeah. That one got y'all grokkin'.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
The Earth and the sun align roughly with the center of the galaxy every year in December. It's a meaningless coincidence. There are currently no other alignments due to happen within the solar system.

W8XLR
12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I can't wait to cash in be scarfing up tons of dirt cheap ammo, MRE's, generators, etc. like I did after the horific Y2K disaster. But, if this is the "big one" I, like Kelli am ok with that also. I've done all I want to do and seen all I want to see... Screw this shit hole planet and the human race. To incinerate it would be like buldozing a crack house in Detroit... The galaxy won't miss it.

N8YX
12-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Cthulhu's gonna awaken, stretch a bit, fart, scratch its balls, grab a cup of milk from the fridge then shuffle off back to whatever it has that passes for a bed.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 06:16 PM
I can't wait to cash in be scarfing up tons of dirt cheap ammo, MRE's, generators, etc. like I did after the horific Y2K disaster. But, if this is the "big one" I, like Kelli am ok with that also. I've done all I want to do and seen all I want to see... Screw this shit hole planet and the human race. To incinerate it would be like buldozing a crack house in Detroit... The galaxy won't miss it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yop62wQH498

W8XLR
12-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Galactic urban renewal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrGDgX06oHk

If the earth does go "pop", my only regret is I haven't worked Antarctica yet. Bummer...

KB3ZGV
12-04-2012, 07:15 PM
hey if the magnetic poles swap, that will be like a big EMP kinda sorta. I better start working on building a Farrah Day Cage

Shame she died huh?

n2ize
12-04-2012, 07:16 PM

Some call that attitude pragmatic. I call your attitude crass. The galaxy may not behold the human race in its highest order. But who's to say. . I see it differently. You see the glass as half empty, I see it as half full. I find the human race amazing and beautiful and an integral part of the goodness that makes this entire planet great. Perhaps humanity is spit in a hurricane in the overall scheme of things. But, to most of us it carries great meaning. I think this planet and the life on it has great meaning, significance and an order with purpose. I want to see it progress and continue to move forward. Sure the human race on this planet has screwed up. But it has had far more WOW moments.

W8XLR
12-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Some call that attitude pragmatic. I call your attitude crass. The galaxy may not behold the human race in its highest order. But who's to say. . I see it differently. You see the glass as half empty, I see it as half full. I find the human race amazing and beautiful and an integral part of the goodness that makes this entire planet great. Perhaps humanity is spit in a hurricane in the overall scheme of things. But, to most of us it carries great meaning. I think this planet and the life on it has great meaning, significance and an order with purpose. I want to see it progress and continue to move forward. Sure the human race on this planet has screwed up. But it has had far more WOW moments.

WOW moments my ass... In galactic terms, this planet is just a nasty nest of cockroaches that needs a really big can of Raid applied before we infest the rest of the house...

W8XLR
12-04-2012, 07:36 PM
hey if the magnetic poles swap, that will be like a big EMP kinda sorta. I better start working on building a Farrah Day Cage

Shame she died huh?

Yes, a terrible shame... I had wood for her most of my teenage years in the 70's...

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Cthulhu's gonna awaken, stretch a bit, fart, scratch its balls, grab a cup of milk from the fridge then shuffle off back to whatever it has that passes for a bed.

Cthulhu has balls? Wouldn't have expected that from a cephalopod.

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 08:23 PM
The Earth and the sun align roughly with the center of the galaxy every year in December. It's a meaningless coincidence. There are currently no other alignments due to happen within the solar system.

Can you define "roughly"? "Almost?" "Partially" Or what?

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 08:27 PM
And how did the Mayans know about this kind of astronomy? How did they know there is a galaxy? And where the center is? Isn't humanity supposed to have believed that the whole cosmos revolves around the Earth until that cat with the telescope turned that around?

I've been concentrating on determining if mainstream archeology has formed a widespread consensus that the calendar does, in fact, end on 12/21/12. The answer would appear to be yes. Read and heard that a few times.

Off to see if I can dig up anything in a link.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Can you define "roughly"? "Almost?" "Partially" Or what?

"In the general direction there of, give or take a few degrees."

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
OK. Thanks.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 08:58 PM
And how did the Mayans know about this kind of astronomy? How did they know there is a galaxy? And where the center is?

They didn't. From observation, however, they did know when the winter solstice occurs. It's pure coincidence that the Earth-sun alignment with the galactic center happens to take place around that time every year.

I've been concentrating on determining if mainstream archeology has formed a widespread consensus that the calendar does, in fact, end on 12/21/12. The answer would appear to be yes. Read and heard that a few times.

The Mayan Long Period calender "ends" on December 21, 2012 the same way that the Julian calender "ends" on December 31, 2012. It then starts over again the following day.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 09:12 PM
They didn't. From observation, however, they did know when the winter solstice occurs. It's pure coincidence that the Earth-sun alignment with the galactic center happens to take place around that time every year.

The Mayan Long Period calender "ends" on December 21, 2012 the same way that the Julian calender "ends" on December 31, 2012. It then starts over again the following day.

The difference being where we are in the galaxy this time. The Mayans felt that tracking this particular orbit was very important.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
The difference being where we are in the galaxy this time. The Mayans felt that tracking this particular orbit was very important.

I sincerely doubt that, seeing how the Mayans weren't even aware that there was such a thing as a galaxy.

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 09:16 PM
I sincerely doubt that, seeing how the Mayans weren't even aware that there was such a thing as a galaxy.

Apparently they were and they also claim to be aware of space or time travelers which they referred to as gods.

NQ6U
12-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Apparently they were and they also claim to be aware of space or time travelers which they referred to as gods.

Pretty vague claim; like most of those sorts of things, it could could mean almost anything.

Dr. Detroit
12-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Everyone's world ends eventually. Some sooner, some later.

Funny how it's easier to talk about the demise of the entire planet than it is to discuss one's own personal death.

Dr. D.

n2ize
12-04-2012, 09:34 PM

Stop with your logic and facts. The world is going to end on Dec 21,2012 and that is all there is to it. Let's just enjoy the few days left.

n2ize
12-04-2012, 09:41 PM
WOW moments my ass... In galactic terms, this planet is just a nasty nest of cockroaches that needs a really big can of Raid applied before we infest the rest of the house...

I call that a crap attitude.

n2ize
12-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Maybe we're all a diverse race of aliens that transform and send ourselves to this dimension to take the ride.

Maybe we are all dead and this is hell ? That would explain the GOP. :lol:

KA9MOT
12-04-2012, 09:47 PM
They are reporting a Comet flying so close to Earth that it will be visible in the daylight sky in November 2013. I say BS! The news release is nothing more than attempt to keep the masses from panicking as this thing lines up for it's collision with Earth. Right now, Steven Huff is building a 72,000 square foot mansion to cover the work they are doing building underground cities beneath Ozark, MO. All of the world's elite will be saved from the nuclear winter this comets collision will cause by living underground.

It's another freaking conspiracy and again, everybody I know is gonna freaking die......

http://www.space.com/15108-comet-panstarrs-skywatching-countdown-2013.html

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/this-is-the-72000-sq-ft-eco-mansion-going-up-in-the-ozark-mountains-but-why/

I'm tellin' y'a all right now. The world is gonna end real soon and when it does and your dead, you're gonna say, "That fat bastard was right!"

:lol:

KG4CGC
12-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Pretty vague claim; like most of those sorts of things, it could could mean almost anything.

Indeed. I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express though while watching NatGeo, History and Discovery channels.

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 11:13 PM

Oh, jeeze...here we go again. You've made a statement with no information as to how you know that, where you learned it, etc. So, on the face of what you wrote there, you just "know" this? Wonderful! What is the evidence that leads you to believe such a thing?

From just what you've written, you've claimed that the Mayans inferred that the 26,000 years between alignments solely from when the solstice would occur? Wow........how'd they do that?

W1GUH
12-04-2012, 11:20 PM

And how, pray tell, do you know that? Did you divine it from tea leaves? C'mon, Carl. Do you REALLY expect that statements without back-up evidence will accomplish anything at all but waste time and bandwidth?

XS

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 12:06 AM
From just what you've written, you've claimed that the Mayans inferred that the 26,000 years between alignments solely from when the solstice would occur? Wow........how'd they do that?

"Alignments" with what?? There is no "alignment "other than the same one that happens every year around the winter solstice.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 12:07 AM
And how, pray tell, do you know that? Did you divine it from tea leaves? C'mon, Carl. Do you REALLY expect that statements without back-up evidence will accomplish anything at all but waste time and bandwidth?

XS

Actually, it's your belief in magic that's at fault here.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 12:08 AM
"Alignments" with what?? There is no "alignment "other than the same one that happens every year around the winter solstice.

Uh oh! Get out the intergalactic tweaker tool. The planets need aligning.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Actually, it's your belief in magic that's at fault here.

Bingo. Same magic that believes gay people are all pedophiles.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 12:09 AM
Bingo. Same magic that believes gay people are all pedophiles.

Or that Jesus is coming back.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 12:11 AM

Yup. This is exactly why so many people believe religious dogma is dangerous.

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 12:44 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/BHcopy_zpsc74e0185.jpg

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 12:46 AM

A running theme that predates the Christians.

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 01:02 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/government-promises-world-won-t-end-dec-21-192819519.html
Oh hell! The government promises the world won't end Dec. 21st. That a sure fire clue that it will! OMG!

KB3LAZ
12-05-2012, 06:26 AM
This is silly. It is like any religious debate. One side screams you cant prove that they didnt know and the other screams that you cant prove that they did. Guess what, you are both right. However, logic dictates the lack of knowledge over its presence.

Lets all follow the Lemmini tribe in descent off the cliff to obtain immortality!

KA9MOT
12-05-2012, 06:34 AM
One thing is certain..... many people will wake up the day after and will feel foolish -or- They will be right and won't be able to say, "I told you so!".

KB3LAZ
12-05-2012, 06:51 AM
One thing is certain..... many people will wake up the day after and will feel foolish -or- They will be right and won't be able to say, "I told you so!".

Aint that a bitch? Said people will end up either an ass or dead. Sounds like a no win situation to me. Particularly if the world really was created by aliens and not a god. Said people will simply cease to exist.

The reward of pessimism I guess.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 09:19 AM

That's exactly what happens every year around the winter solstice. 2012 is no different.

PA5COR
12-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Sttill have too much plans and things to do, so the world will not end before i say so ;)

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 09:55 AM
My uh, my uh, my um... calender ends on December 31 this year like it did, uh, last year.

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 09:56 AM
As tech calenders end there too, I believe.

n2ize
12-05-2012, 10:34 AM
That's exactly what happens every year around the winter solstice. 2012 is no different.

Yeah, but some people prefer to believe in conspiracy theories/magic rather than real scientific astronomy. I guess its more fun to imagine the world is going to end due to "gallactic alignment", "niburu", "the face on mars" or any of the million other false reasons as opposed to real astronomy.

n2ize
12-05-2012, 10:36 AM
My uh, my uh, my um... calender ends on December 31 this year like it did, uh, last year.

That means for you it will end on the 31st due to Niburu. For those using the Mayan calendar it will end on the 21st due to galactic alignment. For the rest it will end when the face on Mars spits at the Earth. :snicker:

W1GUH
12-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Lots and lots of cognitive dissonance happens around these topics. Like, serious questions are asked and the replies indicate that the reply-er either:

Cannot actually read with any comprehension.

Thinks that tatements made with no back-up evidence whatsoever actually add something of value.

Refusing to supply evidence in support of one's opinion or belief.

I'm outta this one - big waste of time.

Have at it, children.

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Lots and lots of cognitive dissonance happens around these topics. Like, serious questions are asked and the replies indicate that the reply-er either:

Cannot actually read with any comprehension.

Thinks that tatements made with no back-up evidence whatsoever actually add something of value.

Refusing to supply evidence in support of one's opinion or belief.

I'm outta this one - big waste of time.

Have at it, children.

Gee, that totally sounds like.... You!

BYE!!

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Gee, that totally sounds like.... You!

BYE!!

Yep, the same old shit. As soon as someone challenges his magical thinking, he flounces right out of the forum.

All I can say is "Don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out."

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
Yep, the same old shit. As soon as someone challenges his magical thinking, he flounces right out of the forum.

Yeah, the ass smack thing came to mind here as well. Between this shit, his anti-gay comments the other day, and his deliberate insults elsewhere the other day, AFAIC, he's on the same level as Burt right now. Fuck him.

n2ize
12-05-2012, 12:25 PM

You don;t have to do his work for him. For evidence he can go to one of many science based astronomy websites to find out about the kind of "alignment" that occurs on winter solstice that explain this in great depth. If he is not satisfied then there are usually references to peer reviewed research papers written by astronomers which explain it in far greater depth than most people would ever want to read. Heck, when a friend told me about the world ending and the Mayan calendar I didn't even go onto ham radio forums for an answer. I went directly to sources that explain it in depth as to why the Mayan calendar does not predict any such thing.

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
OK, for the last time. The significance for this year is where our solar system is in its orbit in the galaxy. The orbit of the solar system is what the long calendar measures.
While we have experienced several planetary alignments through our lives, this type of alignment will be a first since the last 5000+ years. What, if anything, will happen, is yet to be seen. Plus, the stone tables that help explain a few things are missing parts due to deterioration so it's kind of like trying to figure out English from scratch but with all the vowels missing.

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 01:43 PM

See post above.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
See post above.

Sorry, Charles, but that's not true. What the Mayan Long Period calendar measures is the number of days passed since a mythical creation date. It has nothing to do with the earth's galactic orbit.

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Sorry, Charles, but that's not true. What the Mayan Long Period calendar measures is the number of days passed since a mythical creation date. It has nothing to do with the earth's galactic orbit.

It could be mythical or it could represent a starting point on the other side of the galaxy. We don't know. We do know that their yearly calendar is a hair more accurate than our atomic clock based yearly calendar.

n2ize
12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
It could be mythical or it could represent a starting point on the other side of the galaxy. We don't know. We do know that their yearly calendar is a hair more accurate than our atomic clock based yearly calendar.

This is patently false. The Mayan calendar, while accurate for its time, was not even as accurate as the Julian calendar and not nearly as accurate as the modern Gregorian calendar.

Here is a site that lays some preliminary groundwork with references to some good books, one of which I read, concerning the structure of the various solar calendars and their relationships with respect to structure, accuracy, and overall precision.
\
http://www.2012hoax.org/maya-calendar#toc12

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 03:09 PM
This is patently false. The Mayan calendar, while accurate for its time, was not even as accurate as the Julian calendar and not nearly as accurate as the modern Gregorian calendar.

Here is a site that lays some preliminary groundwork with references to some good books, one of which I read, concerning the structure of the various solar calendars and their relationships with respect to structure, accuracy, and overall precision.
\
http://www.2012hoax.org/maya-calendar#toc12
John, I can't find any peer reviewed scientific studies to corroborate the site you posted. I think the site you referenced is based on unsupportable speculation.
My information comes from the History Channel, so it is beyond reproach.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 03:15 PM
John, I can't find any peer reviewed scientific studies to corroborate the site you posted. I think the site you referenced is based on unsupportable speculation.

I'm not saying it's aliens, but...IT'S ALIENS!

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 03:16 PM

I found a pier review. http://pierreview.co.uk/

n2ize
12-05-2012, 03:21 PM

Well, I don't know. Peer reviewed studies could be full of shit too. Maybe everything is bullshit. All any of us really know is what we can see, hear, smell, taste, feel. All we can know about is what is happening or what has happened. All I need a calendar for is to know what day/date it is. And I can keep track of that in my head. When the world ends it ends.

Yes, if the the history channel says it it's got to be 100%.

KJ3N
12-05-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm not saying it's aliens, but...IT'S ALIENS!

http://imgupld.lunaticoutpost.com/graphic/images/2011/July/28/35A5_4E3209B0.jpg

N2CHX
12-05-2012, 07:36 PM

So basically we're all gonna die from being swallowed up by a giant galactic vagina.

X-Rated
12-05-2012, 07:44 PM
So basically we're all gonna die from being swallowed up by a giant galactic vagina.

African American one. :)

n2ize
12-05-2012, 08:19 PM

No, the economy is going to go off the cliff.

KB3ZGV
12-05-2012, 08:27 PM

Those damn vaginas, always causing trouble.

kf0rt
12-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Wifey and me took a tour from a Mayan descendant once deep in the Yucatan Peninsula. He wasn't concerned and knew all about the calendar stuff.

12/22: another work day.

NQ6U
12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
12/22: another work day.

Damn...

KG4CGC
12-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Damn...

Yeah. Going in on a Saturday.

VK3ZL
12-06-2012, 04:33 AM

No now Kelli...That theory has a huge hole in it..:omg:

Bob..VK3ZL..

KA9MOT
12-06-2012, 06:15 AM
No now Kelli...That theory has a huge hole in it..:omg:

Bob..VK3ZL..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

kf0rt
12-06-2012, 06:52 AM
Yeah. Going in on a Saturday.

Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

KG4CGC
12-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I wonder how many people will lay out of work on that Friday and how many end of the world parties will be held Thursday night?