PDA

View Full Version : The ham you can thank for my beginnings

k1oik
12-02-2012, 08:40 AM
Some years ago a ham passed away and his family donated thousands of dollars of equipment to my school. Along with it was about 500 QSL cards. I could not bear to throw someone's life away so I stored them in the basement for the last ten years. Last Spring I dug them out to see if I could sell them on Ebay. I did, got $100 BUT I kept two. After looking up them up on QRZ I found their current address from 60 years ago. I emailed them and after some chasing them I mailed them the QSLs. One man was so happy to see his 1953 QSL he offered to find anyone I chose as that was his business. I asked him to find my Elmer, ex-WA2EKC, who I last saw in 1960. He said Dan was dead but He found his mother, over 90 years old. I called his mother and found Dan was not dead and alive in NYC. I called in June but Dan was a bit of a recluse and did not return my calls. I was heading to NYC to visit my daughter this Thanksgiving so I called Dan one last time and left a message that if he did not return my call I would just show up at his apartment. Thus he called right back and talked for 90 minutes. When I got to NYC we met and shared old times for another 90 minutes. He was surprised at what ham radio now is, no code, no FCC exams.

KA9MOT
12-02-2012, 12:18 PM
I noticed he tried to avoid you as well.........until you decided to force yourself on him.

WØTKX
12-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Prolly why he got out of radio. Sheer embarrassment.

NQ6U
12-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Prolly why he got out of radio. Sheer embarrassment.

"What have I wrought??"

BTW, Burt spammed posted this exact story word for word on the Zed.

KA9MOT
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
"What have I wrought??"

Yes, he did! Started a Copy and Paste trend....... http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?370454-One-good-deed-subtitle-quot-My-Elmer-quot

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I noticed he tried to avoid you as well.........until you decided to force yourself on him.

Bahahahahahahaha! Yeah I was thinking that same thing. When Burt said he was gonna show up if he didn't answer, the guy was like "FUCK ME! I faked my own death to get rid of this asshole and he still manages to find me."

NQ6U
12-02-2012, 05:22 PM
Burt's story got me thinking about hams who perceive the elimination of the Morse code requirement as a "dumbing down" of amateur radio. I have a story about that.

It concerns the ham who's easily the most technically qualified person in my ARC. He teaches physics at the university level as well as a course titled "Electronics For Scientists." He's a very intelligent and educated fellow with several advanced degrees, not to mention a long-time ham. Yet, he had a very hard time with learning code well enough to pass his test in front of an FCC examiner and, once he finally did, he never used it ever again. He wasn't able to advance to an Extra class ticket until the code requirement was dropped.

It's obvious that the code requirement as a barrier to entry may well be excluding exactly the kind of people we want and need in this hobby.

W5GA
12-02-2012, 06:40 PM
CQ contest CQ contest.

suddenseer
12-02-2012, 07:51 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
CQ contest CQ contest.

Hahahahahahaha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R43epCpl7w

NQ6U
12-02-2012, 07:54 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QRZ? QRZ?? Okay, thanks. You are 5/9 5/9.

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Ten over fifty nine here too good buddy. N2KKM for ID. Over.

KA9MOT
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Ten over fifty nine here too good buddy. N2KKM for ID. Over.

Yeah, but are ya' destinated yet?

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
Yeah, but are ya' destinated yet?

Ten-four good buddy.

N1LAF
12-02-2012, 08:24 PM
I need to 10-100.....

kb2crk
12-02-2012, 08:29 PM
better than 10-200

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Or a 10-400.

n2ize
12-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I am largely disillusioned by ham radio these days. When I was younger and before I was licensed I had deep respect for ham operators and I thought it was a great honor to have a callsign and I was proud to tell my relatives, friends, that I want to become a ham. Since getting my license and getting involved I got to see some of the uglier sides of ham radio, the gossip, the rivalry, the contempt, jealousy, cliquishness, and I rapidly lost much of the respect and pride ham radio once held for me. These days I rarely tell anyone I am a ham operator. If people ask me I often deny it or change the subject. I consider myself an electronics experimenter. Ham radio is just an adjunct to electronic experimentation. I don;t hate ham radio. But I am no longer as impressed with it as I once was.

k1oik
12-02-2012, 10:00 PM

You posted the exact thing on QRZ
But there, unlike here, I was defended

k1oik
12-02-2012, 10:02 PM
"What have I wrought??"

You got it backwards, I posted it THERE first
I notice many ham web sites post links to my videos, you heading there to tell them that?
Shouldn't good stories but posted elsewhere?
What is your purpose for saying this?

k1oik
12-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Bahahahahahahaha! Yeah I was thinking that same thing. When Burt said he was gonna show up if he didn't answer, the guy was like "FUCK ME! I faked my own death to get rid of this asshole and he still manages to find me."
You sure like to use a word no man or woman would do with you
If what you say is true why did he talk with me for three hours?
Does he look upset in the picture?

N2CHX
12-02-2012, 10:20 PM
You sure like to use a word no man or woman would do with you
If what you say is true why did he talk with me for three hours?
Does he look upset in the picture?

No man or woman would do with me? Sure. I'll bet you've only dreamed of threesomes. I've had them. Recently. With two people younger than me. One in their 20's actually.

Oh, you have, you say? Sorry, stroking yourself with one hand while you shove fingers up your ass with the other doesn't count.

W5GA
12-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Kelli, that's NOT gonna buff out!

KC9SQR
12-03-2012, 01:14 AM
No man or woman would do with me? Sure. I'll bet you've only dreamed of threesomes. I've had them. Recently. With two people younger than me. One in their 20's actually.

Oh, you have, you say? Sorry, stroking yourself with one hand while you shove fingers up your ass with the other doesn't count.

Damn... THAT's gonna leave a mark lol

And I'd say the title of the pic in your sig line is correct ;)
But for the record... You look way hotter than Daria lol

W3WN
12-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Burt's story got me thinking about hams who perceive the elimination of the Morse code requirement as a "dumbing down" of amateur radio. I have a story about that.

It concerns the ham who's easily the most technically qualified person in my ARC. He teaches physics at the university level as well as a course titled "Electronics For Scientists." He's a very intelligent and educated fellow with several advanced degrees, not to mention a long-time ham. Yet, he had a very hard time with learning code well enough to pass his test in front of an FCC examiner and, once he finally did, he never used it ever again. He wasn't able to advance to an Extra class ticket until the code requirement was dropped.

It's obvious that the code requirement as a barrier to entry may well be excluding exactly the kind of people we want and need in this hobby.
You have a very valid point... today and for the last 20 or so years.

Up until sometime in the 1960's or 70's, depending on the radio service invoked, Morse Code was still a major communications media. As equipment got more reliable, new technologies (satellites, for one example) became available, and new communication modes became invented and widely used (packet, PSK, etc), the use of Morse declined. It's declined to the point that I think it's fair to say that the Amateur service may be the ONLY radio communications service that still relies extensively on the use of Morse (and if I'm wrong, it's not by much)

Therefore... the need for Amateurs to "know code", from the standpoint of regulatory authorities, has gone from a neccessity (such as a de facto reserve for the Signal Corps and related military services) to an irrelevancy. So there is no longer a need for a code test at the entry level (it may still be desirable under the correct circumstances, but it is no longer needed... and there is a difference)

If a code test exists only as a ritual... I passed it, therefore, you must pass it... then it is wrong. We need more active amateurs; we don't need to haze the newcomers.

Now, I still maintain, as an intellectual exercise, that the FCC was wrong in dropping the code test from the Amateur Extra examination. Simply because I believe that you hold an "expert" level license and not be able to send/receive code. But there's no point in fighting that lost battle; the barn door has been opened, and the horses are several counties away...

W3WN
12-03-2012, 08:43 AM
better than 10-200You don't look at all anything like Sally Fields, Burt Reynolds, or even Jerry Reed. And I certainly hope not like Jackie Gleason...

W3WN
12-03-2012, 08:46 AM

Oh, you have, you say? Sorry, stroking yourself with one hand while you shove fingers up your ass with the other doesn't count.I don't know whether to laugh, or reach for the eyebleach...

N8YX
12-03-2012, 08:53 AM

This thread:

It delivers.

K7SGJ
12-03-2012, 09:41 AM

This thread:

It delivers.

Yeah, we have one like that, but she leaves everything out front by the gate, and I BARELY get to see her. Bitch

KA9MOT
12-03-2012, 11:08 AM

Not the exact same thing... I left out the words "as well". They look funny hanging off of the end of that sentence.... Like they don't belong. Just like you!

So, what is your point?

N8YX
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM

Which means very little in the grand scheme of things, as there's a pronounced lack of critical thinking in certain corners of the Interwebs.

n2ize
12-03-2012, 12:19 PM
You don't look at all anything like Sally Fields, Burt Reynolds, or even Jerry Reed. And I certainly hope not like Jerry Gleason...

How about Jackie Gleason ?

KA9MOT
12-03-2012, 12:23 PM

This thread:

It delivers.

OMG! I just hurt myself......... Waaay better than kitty pictures!

N2CHX
12-03-2012, 12:27 PM
OMG! I just hurt myself......... Waaay better than kitty pictures!

Try lube next time. Jeez.

kb2vxa
12-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Here's a Kitty to remember, she connected SO many meanings.

W3WN
12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
How about Jackie Gleason ?Whoops! That's a typo from thinking faster than I typed. I'll fix that...

k1oik
12-03-2012, 04:02 PM

This thread:

It delivers.
Wow is that N2KKM?

KG4CGC
12-03-2012, 04:07 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/3c403523.gif

N8YX
12-03-2012, 05:08 PM

X-Rated
12-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Wow is that N2KKM?

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah. That's her.

No. Actually, that's Jerri Gleason.

N7YA
12-04-2012, 04:02 AM

More like Burt is saying "Fuck me!....no, seriously, fuck me....AHEM! Am i NOT bent over a sink and is this NOT a truck stop?"

N2CHX
12-04-2012, 06:43 AM
More like Burt is saying "Fuck me!....no, seriously, fuck me....AHEM! Am i NOT bent over a sink and is this NOT a truck stop?"

Hahahahahahahaha!

Dr. Detroit
12-04-2012, 03:30 PM
. . . When I got to NYC we met and shared old times . . .

Who fucking cares?

N7YA
12-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Who fucking cares?

:lol: