PDA

View Full Version : I Have A Cat in the House

n2ize
11-30-2012, 04:54 PM
Fior the past few months I have a cat living here. It is my brothers cat, he left him when he went on vacation and decided to leave him here while he fixes some stuff up at home. The cat is diabetic and requires 2 injections of insulin every day. I am hoping he can take him back home soon because my respiratory system does not deal well with cats.

The ironic thing is now that I have got a cat I have also got a mouse.

PA5COR
11-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Good things always come in 3 i bet you have 2 mice ;)

kf0rt
11-30-2012, 05:17 PM
We've been dealing with a minor mouse issue since the kids moved out. Not sure if it's the cooler weather driving them inside or if they're just out of hiding more due to the house being much cleaner. Probably nailed about 8 of the rat bastids now (and I think we're done). I'm here to tell ya, get thee some of these:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202601814/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=mouse+trap&storeId=10051#.ULkrQ-TLRsI

It's a modern adaptation of the old wooden spring trap and these things really work. Much easier to set without fear of setting it off, and the small bait pad is surrounded by the larger trigger mechanism, making it darn near impossible for the vermin to take the bait without setting it off. Bait 'em with a dab of peanut butter and a small piece of dog (or cat) food.

We've used everything from the old wooden traps (they steal the bait without springing the trap), to poison bait traps (seem to work on the dumber of the species, but take awhile) to glue traps (actually watched a mouse struggle free from one of those). They all work a little. I've never seen anything like this deal, though. Nailed two of the bastids within hours of setting them up and haven't seen a mouse since.

ETA: Oh, and I suspect the cat will only play with one once before mutual respect is established. Doubt it'd damage the cat. ;)

K7SGJ
11-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Must be the time of the year for tiny critters. I was reading in bed the other might, and it sounded like there was a wee hoedown going on in the attic. Guess I'll have to put a trap up there since using the 12 GA from bed will probably leave a mark that won't buff out.

kf0rt
11-30-2012, 05:39 PM
More than once I've thought of loading the .22 pistola. Brazen little effers at times, ya know?

N8YX
11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
We have four at the moment - ranging from an 8lb female black panther all the way up to a 20lb, I-will-fsck-your-world-up (unless you wanna feed me) Manx/tuxedo cross, who requires dosages of a few different maintenance medications every day. The other three are perfectly healthy - but the Manx is the only one who catches mice, even though he has no teeth.

PA5COR
11-30-2012, 06:07 PM
When we got into this house 26 years back, the autum was very wet, a deluge of rain through months soaked the gardens and then 60 feet away the countryside began and houses stopped.

We got our share of mice then, looking for dry places they invaded the houses.
I build a cheapo 30 watt audio amp, got myself one of the tweeters that could do 40 KHz ( ribbon tweeter) and made an audio generator from a 555 chip generating between 20 - 40 KHz which output went into the audio amp.
A few days testing several frequencies close to 23 KHZ proved to be the golden freq, mice went away and stayed away.
You could not hear the sound in the attick where i put the contraption, just felt a pressure on your ears.
Needless to say my cats didn't invade the attic then they hated it....
;)

n2ize
11-30-2012, 06:13 PM
More than once I've thought of loading the .22 pistola. Brazen little effers at times, ya know?

Many years ago I had some rats living in my yard. They actually had holes dug into the yard near the base of an old tree stump bordering the garage. I first tried using a pellet gun but it didn't work. I would have needed a .22 but I can;t used a .22 outside here. Then one afternoon I tried flooding them out with a hose followed by a huge thunderstorm that dumped a ton of water. They seemed to dissapear for a while but then they were back. Finally I bought some Warfarin baits and placed the baits in the holes and crevices through which they traveled. I placed the unused portion of the baits on a shelf in the garage. Well that worked very well. Not only did they eat the baits I put out for them but they rummaged the garage and found the remaining baits and ate those two. Haven't had rats since.

I was going to try to use those rodent smoke bombs but I was a bit worried about choking out the neighborhood with smoke. Has anyone used them ? I

NA4BH
11-30-2012, 08:28 PM
John, you finally got some puzzy up to your place? Sweet !!!!!!

n2ize
11-30-2012, 09:09 PM
John, you finally got some puzzy up to your place? Sweet !!!!!!
Hopefully not for long...Besides, I'm a rat. ;)