PDA

View Full Version : Can a Jellyfish Unlock the Secret of Immortality?

NY3V
11-28-2012, 09:55 AM
"...Sommer kept his hydrozoans in petri dishes and observed their reproduction habits. After several days he noticed that his Turritopsis dohrnii was behaving in a very peculiar manner, for which he could hypothesize no earthly explanation. Plainly speaking, it refused to die. It appeared to age in reverse, growing younger and younger until it reached its earliest stage of development, at which point it began its life cycle anew.
Sommer was baffled by this development but didn’t immediately grasp its significance. (It was nearly a decade before the word “immortal” was first used to describe the species.) But several biologists in Genoa, fascinated by Sommer’s finding, continued to study the species, and in 1996 they published a paper called “Reversing the Life Cycle.” The scientists described how the species — at any stage of its development — could transform itself back to a polyp, the organism’s earliest stage of life, “thus escaping death and achieving potential immortality.” This finding appeared to debunk the most fundamental law of the natural world — you are born, and then you die..."

KC2UGV
11-28-2012, 10:08 AM
Them, and Hydras. Hydras are, for all intents and purposes, immortal. They develop to adulthood, and then stop aging.

And, interestingly, we share the same gene markers that control aging in Hydras.

NY3V
11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
On Wednesdays, I shop at my local Publix Market to get my 5% "Youth Discount"

(I tell them I'm in my 2nd Youth!) ;)

W3WN
11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Are they blue?

NQ6U
11-28-2012, 01:35 PM
Jeeze, let's hope not. There are more than enough Homo sapiens sapiens on this planet already.

N2NH
11-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Life is highly overrated. I can't imagine who would want to live forever. No thanks.

kf0rt
11-28-2012, 04:07 PM
^^^ This.

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 09:28 PM
A jellyfish can unlock nothing. Can't hold on to the key.