PDA

View Full Version : Health benefit of coffee

W5GA
11-26-2012, 10:24 AM
This is surprising.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/29/health/29resp.html?_r=0

AE1PT
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I found that more than 2 cups a day--every day--made my live totally miserable. Inflamation of knees, wrists & hands, shoulder, ankles--pain so severe that I needed a cane to walk and ended up in the ER being dosed with Fentanyl...

Still drink it--but only a cup a few times a week--and certainly not Starbucks beans--which seemed to be a primary culprit. Had to change out my beer preferences as well. There it was the particular hops that were used in the blend. Funny thing though, not the amount of hops--as changing from Yuenling porter to Southern Tier Brewing IPA doubled the number of hops used in the blend.

Mornings are now black tea...

X-Rated
11-26-2012, 08:57 PM
Men who drank four to five cups of coffee a day, the study found, had a 40 percent lower risk of gout than those who drank none. The risk was 59 percent lower in men who drank six or more cups a day.

The researchers said there might be a number of reasons that coffee lowered the risk, among them its tendency to lower uric acid levels in the blood. Caffeine does not appear to play a big role, but other components in coffee may be affecting insulin levels, they said.

Possibly moisture flowing through the body as well. Also, there are no calories in black coffee, so intake of no calories is intake that is non-fat.

N7YA
11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
I do a cup in the early afternoon, and one at night...helps me sleep. I just love coffee. I drink hot tea and water while on stage performing. No alcohol at all. No smoking or drugs at all. Very little pain relievers and i have noticed my knee trouble disappeared. I have since dumped the knee brace for a few years now and i couldnt even tell you where it is. Not sure if i attribute this to coffee, but if anything, i have become more spry than ever. Make sure you stretch...and laugh about whatever the hell you feel like finding funny, just make sure to do it. Trust me. :)

AE1PT
11-27-2012, 01:29 AM
Possibly moisture flowing through the body as well. Also, there are no calories in black coffee, so intake of no calories is intake that is non-fat.

That's about the stupidist conjecture I have heard in a long time. But on another plane, who is the big titted honey shown in your avatar? Mmmmmm...

XE1/N5AL
11-27-2012, 01:47 AM
That's about the stupidist conjecture I have heard in a long time. But on another plane, who is the big titted honey shown in your avatar? Mmmmmm...
Not to be sexist, but i think QSOs made by nekkid ladies should receive extra Field Day multiplier points.

N2NH
11-27-2012, 01:58 AM
Not to be sexist, but i think QSOs made by nekkid ladies should receive extra Field Day multiplier points.

Only if she sends corroborating evidence via SSTV.

n6hcm
11-27-2012, 02:04 AM
That's about the stupidist conjecture I have heard in a long time.

not really. for big coffee drinkers (> 5 cups/day) coffee can have a diuretic effect.

W5GA
11-27-2012, 06:04 PM
not really. for big coffee drinkers (> 5 cups/day) coffee can have a diuretic effect.
I'm to the point that even small amounts of caffeine are now extremely diuretic.

NY4Q
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm a one cup a day feller...

PA5COR
11-27-2012, 06:30 PM
2.5 litres of coffee daily.
And 1 litre water and sometimes a litre milk on the side.
I guess my fluid intake is sufficient...;)

n2ize
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Many years ago when i first started college a woman from down south turned me on to coffee. I liked it but the caffeine used to drive me into a nervous wreck. There was like a tiny threshold where a cup of coffee would act as a sort of "pick me up / wake me up" but a second cup, or too strong a brew would leave me anxious, edgy, and jittery for hours later. So, after a couple years I gave up on coffee. Many years later a museum curator who was giving a lecture suggested I try a cup of coffee. This time it was different, I was able to have even a second or a third cup without getting anxiety and jitters. These days I generally drink anywhere from 0 cups to 2 cups per day. That is about my limit. Any more can potentially give me anxiety and jitters.

I really wish they would legalize coca tea in this country. It provides a pleasing stimulation, as well or better than caffeine, but tends to wear off after a period of time without the extended anxiety, jitters, insomnia, etc.. that is frequently found with caffeine. I would prefer it to regular coffee or tea.