PDA

View Full Version : Picture of the very first Apple computer

NQ6U
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
The Apple 1 as delivered to the Byte Computer Shop in Palo Alto, CA circa 1976:

http://timenerdworld.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wpid-photo-nov-22-2012-751-pm.jpg?w=600&h=617

Link to full article. (http://techland.time.com/2012/11/22/behold-some-of-the-first-apple-computer-photos-ever/)

K7SGJ
11-23-2012, 10:36 PM
Unbelievable where it's ended up so far. If I could have gotten ust 100 shares of the first stock offer, damn, who knew.

W4GPL
11-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Neat article, thanks for sharing.

WØTKX
11-24-2012, 12:34 AM
Was peddling the first Apples in '76-77. They were cool.
Saving programs on cassette tape was priceless.

I had 7 customers that bought them from me via a manufactures rep outfit.
Apple stopped that rep nonsense and focused on dealers soon after.

5 of those customers were 3M engineers. Fun times.

CP/M became more of a thing for me soon after.

kf0rt
11-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Was peddling the first Apples in '76-77. They were cool.
Saving programs on cassette tape was priceless.

I had 7 customers that bought them from me via a manufactures rep outfit.
Apple stopped that rep nonsense and focused on dealers soon after.

5 of those customers were 3M engineers. Fun times.

CP/M became more of a thing for me soon after.

Cool stuff. I bought an Apple ][ in October, 1978. Serial number was 10044 (still remember). Cost $1199 plus $30 for the RF modulator that let you hook it up to a TV and you had to supply your own cassette recorder. The manual that came with it was written by Woz hisself. ComputerLand -- remember them?

Learnt more from that Apple than 3 years of colledge.

WØTKX
11-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Peekin' and pokin' and hopin'? :lol:

NQ6U
11-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Peekin' and pokin' and hopin'? :lol:

Yep! Did the same on Apple ll and the Atari 800. Fun stuff and even though pretty much everything I learned back then was soon obsolete, I've found that it often still serves me to this day when I observe some weird software behavior and think "I know why it's doing that" even if I can't fix it.

n2ize
11-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Yep! Did the same on Apple ll and the Atari 800. Fun stuff and even though pretty much everything I learned back then was soon obsolete, I've found that it often still serves me to this day when I observe some weird software behavior and think "I know why it's doing that" even if I can't fix it.

Yeah, I had an Atari 800 back in the old days. Even had a disc drive that uses single sided single density 5.25" floppies. People were impressed. Also had an interface that translated the Atari i/o port into a parallel port into which I could plug in a standard parallel printer. Built some nice software for that thing including a morse code teaching/learning program. Had a lot of fun with that Atari system when I wasn't playing around on the DECSYSTEM 20 or the Vax-11/785 at school.

n2ize
11-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Actually I really had difficulty debugging programs on most systems until I became familiar with assembly. It sort of gave me the ability to look under the hood with a debugger and better understand just what I was looking at.

N2CHX
11-24-2012, 11:22 AM
My first computer was the TI 99 4/A. 16k of RAM. I learned how to program on it. Literally typed that thing to death until the keyboard failed, one key at a time. I even wrote a program that could send and receive CW through the cassette port. A friend of mine also had one and we played around with sending data to each other over 2 meters, with some success.

K7SGJ
11-24-2012, 01:31 PM
My first computer was the TI 99 4/A. 16k of RAM. I learned how to program on it. Literally typed that thing to death until the keyboard failed, one key at a time. I even wrote a program that could send and receive CW through the cassette port. A friend of mine also had one and we played around with sending data to each other over 2 meters, with some success.

I had one of those,too. They were really neat little machines at the time. Between my Sinclair 2000, and the TI, that was how I learned basic programming, as well.

W1GUH
11-25-2012, 08:26 AM
What did Apple have that made it worth the eventual huge price difference between an Apple II and a Commodore 64 which many believe to be a superior machine?

Anything beside Apple's "cachet?"

BTW...the pic looks just like a generic "computer table" at a hamfest!

N2CHX
11-25-2012, 08:32 AM
What did Apple have that made it worth the eventual huge price difference between an Apple II and a Commodore 64 which many believe to be a superior machine?

Anything beside Apple's "cachet?"

BTW...the pic looks just like a generic "computer table" at a hamfest!

Marketing. Apple invested a lot of money into giving computers to schools back in the 80's. Parents then felt they had to buy an Apple so their kid could use the same computer they were learning on in school. First computer I ever touched was an Apple II, in grade school. May even have been first or second grade, I can't remember, but it was close to that. Every school had them.

NY4Q
11-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Unbelievable where it's ended up so far. If I could have gotten ust 100 shares of the first stock offer, damn, who knew.

I bought Apple stock when it was about $17/share and sold it when it had doubled...

kf0rt
11-25-2012, 10:01 AM
Speaking of old... The Brits just got the WITCH computer running again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20395212

NY4Q
11-25-2012, 10:38 AM

Awesome.

N2NH
11-25-2012, 11:34 AM
When I was in college, they came out with the IMSAI and ALTAIR computers. They were kits and cost around $200. I believe that Bill Gates and friends got started on those. They built the computers and found out that without an OS it didn't do much. So they worked on that. First computer was a VIC-20 and it had a cassette drive also. It could take almost an hour to load 32KB which looked like a lot in those days.

I always wanted one of these though...

K7SGJ
11-25-2012, 12:01 PM

Great. Now it will be impossible to find an affordable 12AU7.

NQ6U
11-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I bought Apple stock when it was about $17/share and sold it when it had doubled...

In my only real venture into the stock market, I bought about $100 worth when Apple was at it's nadir in the late Nineties, right around the Second Coming of Steve, and still have it. It's split twice since then and closed at $571.50 on Friday. It's paying dividends now, too. I only wish I could have bought more at the time.

NQ6U
11-25-2012, 12:49 PM
Awesome.

Nah. The thing sucks at WoW.

NY4Q
11-25-2012, 05:13 PM
In my only real venture into the stock market, I bought about $100 worth when Apple was at it's nadir in the late Nineties, right around the Second Coming of Steve, and still have it. It's split twice since then and closed at $571.50 on Friday. It's paying dividends now, too. I only wish I could have bought more at the time.

I think I bought about $1000 worth, so I'd have about $30k now if I'd kept it. I was youngster when I did that.

I don't keep many stocks though. I like to ride the wave of BS that is the stock market.

KB3LAZ
11-26-2012, 06:40 AM

This is the first apple computer?

XE1/N5AL
11-27-2012, 01:31 AM
This is the first apple computer?
Did stEve take a byte out of it?

You guys will surely be impressed that I was stopped next to Steve Jobs at a traffic light once.

W1GUH
11-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Marketing. Apple invested a lot of money into giving computers to schools back in the 80's. Parents then felt they had to buy an Apple so their kid could use the same computer they were learning on in school. First computer I ever touched was an Apple II, in grade school. May even have been first or second grade, I can't remember, but it was close to that. Every school had them.

Thanks. That's what I've thought but thought maybe there was something technical that I'd missed. Pity Commodore didn't know what they had and didn't market it very well.

wa6mhz
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM
I had a Commodore PET I paid $1000 for at Computerland in 1980. It had 16K of memory, a green screen monitor and used a cassette drive for data storage. Had to be programmed in Basic. I programmed it up to send TEXT in CW for my 6 meter beacon. Then one day there was a COMPUTER ERROR and it all went away. I could have Sledgehammered that PET!

Oh, the Apple:
"In June, Sotheby's sold an Apple-1 for $374,500"

WØTKX
11-27-2012, 12:38 PM
Steve Jobs yelled at one of my customers on a conference call over changing their Lisa System 7 machines to Fat Macs. They had 11 of the damn things. Huge investment, huge commission for me.

They refused to comply, and I agreed. I lost interest in Apple for a lot of years after that. Bastid.

Clients stayed with me, we went to Lotus 123 and RBase.
Later, Framework. Not as pretty, but more functional.

W1GUH
11-28-2012, 01:19 PM
Steve Jobs yelled at one of my customers on a conference call over changing their Lisa System 7 machines to Fat Macs. They had 11 of the damn things. Huge investment, huge commission for me.

They refused to comply, and I agreed. I lost interest in Apple for a lot of years after that. Bastid.

Clients stayed with me, we went to Lotus 123 and RBase.

Later, Framework. Not as pretty, but more functional.

Fits with my impression of that company. But I can't tell (brain fog?) what Mr. Jobs was yelling about. To change to Fat Macs? Or because they did change to Fat Macs? ???

I consider Mr. Jobs (May he rest in piece) one of the biggest assholes ever. Maybe that's why Mac owners tend to....

Naw! Couldn't be! Could it?

K7SGJ
11-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Fits with my impression of that company. But I can't tell (brain fog?) what Mr. Jobs was yelling about. To change to Fat Macs? Or because they did change to Fat Macs? ???

I consider Mr. Jobs (May he rest in piece) one of the biggest assholes ever. Maybe that's why Mac owners tend to....

Naw! Couldn't be! Could it?

I know one that is an okay guy. A holy man, as it were.

kb2vxa
11-28-2012, 10:31 PM

K7SGJ
11-29-2012, 10:48 AM

Um........maybe take it down a few notches.