PDA

View Full Version : a shameful admission for a ham: i don't (yet) solder

n6hcm
11-22-2012, 04:58 AM
Actually, I did when I was a kid, but not in recent decades. Back then I used a soldering gun, not one of these pencil things. I didn't do much with it back then, so am generally unskilled.

How to restart? What kind of equipment for general-purpose (for a ham) tasks, ... ?

N8YX
11-22-2012, 05:58 AM
Get thyself two:

A Weller temperature-controlled soldering station for the small stuff;

A Weller or similar quality soldering gun in the 100-140w range for things such as soldering coax fittings or large ring terminals.

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 06:48 AM
Agree with Fred, but with one caveat.

Instead of the 100-140w gun, get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2KC-Professional-Self-igniting-Soldering/dp/B000WOHSHM

Best thing since sliced bread if you ever have to solder in a car (truck, ahem) or do anything outdoors. And it heats plenty for those PL-259's.

KB3LAZ
11-22-2012, 06:56 AM
My soldering station is much older than me. :) I was lucky that way, my grandfather being a ham and all. First thing I got from my grandfather when I got my ticket was Two crates of ham tools, a spool of wire, a Radio shack 202 and 242. :) Actually, I dont remember if it was a 242 or a 212...I had one of each at one point.

Have never used a butane soldering iron though. Mine is an adjustable electric soldering station and stand alone soldering gun. I tend to use the gun more often as I dont solder many small things. Mostly just antennas and coax.

Now as a ham I have a major downfall, I cant read a schematic for shit.

W5GA
11-22-2012, 09:39 AM
For outdoors/PL=259 use, I have a huge old electric soldering iron that I picked up in an antique store. The problem with most guns is they don't have enough recovery capacity. These old irons were used to solder sheet metal, the tip on mine is a 4 oz. piece of copper. Takes a while to heat up/cool down, but once hot it never runs out of enough heat to do the job.

KB3LAZ
11-22-2012, 11:02 AM
For outdoors/PL=259 use, I have a huge old electric soldering iron that I picked up in an antique store. The problem with most guns is they don't have enough recovery capacity. These old irons were used to solder sheet metal, the tip on mine is a 4 oz. piece of copper. Takes a while to heat up/cool down, but once hot it never runs out of enough heat to do the job.

Not sure if it is what you mean but my grandpa has one that is damn near the size of my arm! The tip is the size of a shot glass. Dont think it works. Lol. (Im exaggerating but not by much)

NY4Q
11-22-2012, 11:12 AM
No, no, no. Go to Marlin P Jones and get one of their soldering stations with a few different-sized tips. I've had one going on a couple of years with no issues and I probably solder every day.

http://www.mpja.com/Solder-Stations/products/480/

NQ6U
11-22-2012, 11:16 AM
And keep in mind that when you're soldering, you should heat the joint, not the solder.

NQ6U
11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Get thyself two:

A Weller temperature-controlled soldering station for the small stuff;

A Weller or similar quality soldering gun in the 100-140w range for things such as soldering coax fittings or large ring terminals.

Never had much luck with a soldering gun on coax fittings, the tip is too small to hold and transfer heat to something that thermally massive. After trying and failing a number of times to find a working version of one of those big old honkin' irons from the days of yore, I ended up with a 40 watt Weller pencil iron with a nice, fat tip that I found at, of all places, the Home Despot. I stumbled across it while looking for something else, hadn't even given a thought to looking for one there, but the thing works great for PL-259s and only cost eight bucks.

WØTKX
11-22-2012, 11:47 AM
I use a small butane powered iron for a lot of outside work, it's very handy. Even have one in the tool bag at work. But I have found a little butane torch with a pinpoint flame works very well on PL-259's and larger wire joints when outside. Have three different sized plug in irons and a high wattage soldering gun as well. Depends on what I'm working on.

Small vise grips are the bomb as a heat sink when working on connectors.

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Speaking of vice grips, I think I spend half my life looking for tools that are "around here somewhere."

N2CHX
11-22-2012, 02:15 PM
And keep in mind that when you're soldering, you should heat the joint, not the solder.

Gotta tin the tip though. No jokes about that, okay?

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 02:26 PM

That's what she said.

N2CHX
11-22-2012, 03:02 PM
That's what she said.

Yes, I did. :neener:

NQ6U
11-22-2012, 03:06 PM
That's what she said.

Hah! And to think that I was expecting someone to make a pot-related remark about "heating the joint."

N2CHX
11-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Hah! And to think that I was expecting someone to make a pot-related remark about "heating the joint."

There's that.

WØTKX
11-22-2012, 03:22 PM

http://toptenfilmz.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/wizard-of-oz-the-tin-man.jpg

W5GA
11-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Not sure if it is what you mean but my grandpa has one that is damn near the size of my arm! The tip is the size of a shot glass. Dont think it works. Lol. (Im exaggerating but not by much)
It may be the kind that gets heated by a blowtorch.

wa6mhz
11-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Soldering is great fun. In fact, not a day goes by that I don't solder something. (even on weekends!) At Dayton and Pacificon, I teach kids and new hams the proper way to solder on little kits.

So that is a way to get going. They have some easy kits at Radio Shack by VELLEMAN that make various projects (winky lights and such). Very affordable. And after a few of those, U will be a pro at soldering. Right now, the trendy kit is the LED Christmas tree. Think it is only about $12 or so. Very pretty when completed.

Then U can advance to more difficult kits like Hendricks has. Or Ramsey.
All hams should solder cuz it is great fun,and U have a great feeling of accomplishment when U get the project done!

kb2vxa
11-22-2012, 05:30 PM
"And keep in mind that when you're soldering, you should heat the joint, not the solder."
And keep in mind that when you're toking, you should heat the joint, not the roach clip. Got your wish, happy now? (;->)

For what it's worth my Weller gun sees little use, the tip can't stay hot enough upon contact for most applications. The same for my Weller 100W stick I trashed in favor of a 100W Hexacon with one HUGE copper heat reservoir and replaceable tip. For circuit board applications I use a Weller station with different heat and shaped tips, I chose that type for my own after using several Weller variable temperature controlled stations at work, it proved to be the most stable. Away from electricity I use a small refillable butane torch I found among a crack head's paraphernalia left behind from a hasty exit. (;->)

I'm reminded of my metal shop days when I used a pair of dog leg coppers heated in a gas oven for soldering sheet metal. One was heating while the other was in use, primitive but it worked. That's essentially what I use the Hexacon for besides soldering RF connectors, sometimes one has to solder to a metal chassis. BTW I don't use a heat sink on those connectors, don't have to and never worry about overheating. The trick is knowing if it takes more than one second you're doing it wrong. If the connection is properly prepped and fluxed it's hit and run, the connector just gets a little warm.

Oh and BTW the Tin Man's tip is tin to begin with so he never gives it a thought. Trouble is there are no tin women in Oz, maybe he'd have better luck in Futurama.

Robot, robot candlelight
Doin' the town and doin' it right
In the evenin'
It's pretty pleasin'

Robot Susie, Robot Sam
Do the jitterbug out in robot land
And they shimmy
And Sammy's so skinny...

Willis Alan Ramsey and the Captain and Tennille were born too soon to realize the possibilities.

KC9ECI
11-22-2012, 06:44 PM
It isn't too difficult and there's nothing but thin air and opportunity between you and soldering. Do it.

http://youtu.be/BLfXXRfRIzY

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 09:14 PM

Might have tried that once. Don't remember.

NQ6U
11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Might have tried that once. Don't remember.

You must have inhaled, then.

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 09:24 PM
You must have inhaled, then.

Actually knew a ham back when who was hospitalized from the fumes of building a Heathkit. Well, or so he said. Claimed lead poisoning from the fumes. The pussy.

KG4CGC
11-23-2012, 01:50 AM
Get some cheap pc boards at RS and practice with LED arrays. You can even make rectifiers that light up with them.
OH! Try hard soldering a crystal radio.

n2ize
11-23-2012, 03:39 AM

Yeah, I have one of those relics. I use it for the bigger and heavier soldering jobs. It has a wooden handle and an old fashioned cloth covered cord. The heating element inside it glows red when plugged in and the tip is made of heavy gauge copper. I don't know the wattage but it does get hot as hell. I use it often for soldering coax connectors or ladder line connections.

For small jobs I use a regular 30 watt soldering pencil. I was always very good at soldering. I do excellent soldering work whether it be old fashioned chassis wiring or small pc board stuff.

Best advice for soldering. Clean the iron frequently and keep it well tinned.

KK4AMI
11-23-2012, 08:29 AM
I was taught to solder. My first soldering exercise was soldering together a cube using 12 pieces of 12 Ga 1 inch long bare copper wire. It taught you heat control and using a heat sink or you kept popping corner joints.

KC9ECI
11-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I learned how to solder in shop class in high school using soldering coppers. That was an experience.

N2CHX
11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
I was taught to solder. My first soldering exercise was soldering together a cube using 12 pieces of 12 Ga 1 inch long bare copper wire. It taught you heat control and using a heat sink or you kept popping corner joints.

Heh, my nerdy self used to build models of towers by soldering together copper wire. They were very realistic looking and a lot of detail went into them. I even used large red LED's for the beacons and smaller red LED's for the side markers. Electrolytic capacitors were used to give a realistic looking filament cool-down/warm up fade for the beacons and the flasher control was made using a 555 timer. The tower sections themselves were made by stretching the wire on a frame made of nails placed in a long board and soldering the cross members in place on the taut wire. One of my models was almost 6 feet high.

God I was such a freakin' nerd.

NQ6U
11-23-2012, 09:56 AM

Was? Are you no longer?

I have always worn my nerditude with pride, even through the course of my college art major. Sure, I hung with artists and wore black a lot in those days but I was still a nerd to the core.

KK4AMI
11-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Heh, my nerdy self used to build models of towers by soldering together copper wire. They were very realistic looking and a lot of detail went into them. I even used large red LED's for the beacons and smaller red LED's for the side markers. Electrolytic capacitors were used to give a realistic looking filament cool-down/warm up fade for the beacons and the flasher control was made using a 555 timer. The tower sections themselves were made by stretching the wire on a frame made of nails placed in a long board and soldering the cross members in place on the taut wire. One of my models was almost 6 feet high.

Aww, that's kinda cute. You were destined to be a little radio engineer way back when you could pick up RF in your braces.:-D

N2CHX
11-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Was? Are you no longer?

I have always worn my nerditude with pride, even through the course of my college art major. Sure, I hung with artists and wore black a lot in those days but I was still a nerd to the core.

Yeah, I still am, just not as much as I used to be.

N2CHX
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Aww, that's kinda cute. You were destined to be a little radio engineer way back when you could pick up RF in your braces.:-D

lol pretty much. We had a two tower AM array within a stone's throw and another two tower AM array about 2 miles down the road. My sister and I used to look out the window at night at the beacons blinking away. She told me that the closer towers were hers and if I wanted towers I had to take the ones farther away. We used to fight over who's towers they were. I ended up working for both of those radio stations. In fact, the further towers, which she said were mine, were what got me into engineering. I was doing news at night at that station and I helped the engineers find a problem with the array that had been eluding them for months. The owner of the contract company was impressed and three months later offered me an entry-level job. I had to choose between engineering and being on-air and I chose engineering because it paid more.

n2ize
11-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Was? Are you no longer?

Why is it that people who are good at something, usually something technical or that can be related to something technical, refer to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks". I always found these terms to be somewhat derogatory as they generally imply oddity, insignificance, social inadequacy, freakiness, and personal awkwardness. I always hear these terms used to describe people who are knowledgeable about computer science and/or programming (first and foremost) technical subjects, like engineering. radio, electronics, the sciences in general, math, etc. I rarely hear the term "nerd" or "geek" used to describe people who are good in the arts. For example I rarely hear, "he's a piano geek", "she's a violin nerd", "she's a guitar nerd",, "he's a drum geek", etc Most people I know or have met who are into the computer sciences, technical subjects, sciences in general, math, etc. are pretty normal and don't even come close to fitting the definition or stereotype of nerd, geek, etc... I generally refer to such people by whatever is the title of their profession or else I might say "the person is computer saavy", "knowledgeable in (subject)",

Not complaining, just giving my take on it...

kb2vxa
11-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Once upon a time commercial ops called us hams and ever since wear it as a badge of pride. Same for oddity, insignificance, social inadequacy, freakiness, and personal awkwardness, we are the Misfits (not to be confused with the Jersey rock band). Once a nerd always a nerd, in school I hung out with them and they made far better company, in my spare time I was the Frankenerd of the neighborhood. I'll die a nerd but meanwhile the President and CEO of Frankenstein Laboratories, a division of Altec Communications.
http://www.w2sjw.com/

Still I wonder about that geek label, doesn't fit, not even close. A geek is a carnival attraction but they don't bite the heads off small animals anymore, neither does Ozzy Osborn the original and only heavy metal geek. Then there was Fred Blassie's catch phrase "pencil neck geek" that had its origin in his early carnival wrestling career.

"I generally refer to such people by whatever is the title of their profession..."
I was a QC/QA technician and engineering assistant on my last job but you may find professional nerd descriptive of my career overall.

WØTKX
11-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I actually had a slide rule in a belt holster, and carried a small regen shortwave receiver around, starting in Jr. High.

:)

N2CHX
11-23-2012, 12:27 PM
I actually had a slide rule in a belt holster, and carried a small regen shortwave receiver around, starting in Jr. High.

Well, you definitely beat me in the nerd department :neener:

KJ3N
11-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Why is it that people who are good at something, usually something technical or that can be related to something technical, refer to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks". I always found these terms to be somewhat derogatory as they generally imply oddity, insignificance, social inadequacy, freakiness, and personal awkwardness.

A geek is a carnival attraction but they don't bite the heads off small animals anymore, neither does Ozzy Osborn the original and only heavy metal geek. Then there was Fred Blassie's catch phrase "pencil neck geek" that had its origin in his early carnival wrestling career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkB_CFi9row

W3WN
11-23-2012, 04:44 PM

God I was such a freakin' nerd.Just tell me that you didn't mount those on top of hard hats & sell them to maroons who walk around Hamvention.

W3WN
11-23-2012, 04:46 PM
I actually had a slide rule in a belt holster < snip >I still have one of those.

No, I didn't wear it around school. It was one of the few non-art things of my father's I have.

K7SGJ
11-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Speaking of vice grips, I think I spend half my life looking for tools that are "around here somewhere."

If you run across any of mine, let me know.

N2CHX
11-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Just tell me that you didn't mount those on top of hard hats & sell them to maroons who walk around Hamvention.

Omg... if I told you what I did for a Halloween costume once, you all would know just how nerdy I really am.

KC9ECI
11-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Omg... if I told you what I did for a Halloween costume once, you all would know just how nerdy I really am.

We're all hams here, we know already.

W8XLR
11-23-2012, 08:34 PM

I built this Blaw-Knox diamond nearly 20 years ago, using brass tubing and HO scale train rail. My 100 watt Weller worked great. My wiring isn't as elaborate as yours. I used magnet wire, and 12v intermitent flashing x-mass lights on mine... Nerds will rule the world someday. I wish I had a better camera, but I think you get the idea...

kf0rt
11-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Me too. Had a "sweet" slide rule in HS (about the time the HP-35 came out). Someone stole it. Can't say that I ever looked back. ;)

kf0rt
11-23-2012, 09:10 PM
If you run across any of mine, let me know.

Swear to whatever might be holy. Think I now own two of everything, and still can't find either.

W8XLR
11-23-2012, 09:39 PM
Me too. Had a "sweet" slide rule in HS (about the time the HP-35 came out). Someone stole it. Can't say that I ever looked back. ;)

I never had a slide rule, but back in the day when I worked two full time jobs, on my night job I wore my trusty DX-350 in a pouch with an external antenna made of magnet wire that was helicaly wound around a length of rubber fuel hose, and secured to my leg with an Ace bandage. WRNO and WWCR came in fine buisness!

KB3LAZ
11-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Why is it that people who are good at something, usually something technical or that can be related to something technical, refer to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks". I always found these terms to be somewhat derogatory as they generally imply oddity, insignificance, social inadequacy, freakiness, and personal awkwardness. I always hear these terms used to describe people who are knowledgeable about computer science and/or programming (first and foremost) technical subjects, like engineering. radio, electronics, the sciences in general, math, etc. I rarely hear the term "nerd" or "geek" used to describe people who are good in the arts. For example I rarely hear, "he's a piano geek", "she's a violin nerd", "she's a guitar nerd",, "he's a drum geek", etc Most people I know or have met who are into the computer sciences, technical subjects, sciences in general, math, etc. are pretty normal and don't even come close to fitting the definition or stereotype of nerd, geek, etc... I generally refer to such people by whatever is the title of their profession or else I might say "the person is computer saavy", "knowledgeable in (subject)",

Not complaining, just giving my take on it...

We called the artist types stoners. In high school, that shoe normally fit.

n6hcm
11-24-2012, 03:51 AM
Why is it that people who are good at something, usually something technical or that can be related to something technical, refer to themselves as "nerds" or "geeks". I always found these terms to be somewhat derogatory as they generally imply oddity, insignificance, social inadequacy, freakiness, and personal awkwardness.

because we've taken ownership of the concept ... being a nerd or a geek is generally no longer derogatory (except in the rare occasion when it is).

N8YX
11-24-2012, 08:24 AM
I built this Blaw-Knox diamond nearly 20 years ago, using brass tubing and HO scale train rail. My 100 watt Weller worked great. My wiring isn't as elaborate as yours. I used magnet wire, and 12v intermitent flashing x-mass lights on mine... Nerds will rule the world someday. I wish I had a better camera, but I think you get the idea...

That's neat. Unfortunately, my cats would try to climb such a construct were I to build one.

N2CHX
11-24-2012, 08:40 AM
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8103&d=1353720722

That is really cool. Very nice job. My first model tower was modeled after a Blaw-Knox as well, just a lesser-known type of Blaw-Knox tower. They also made many towers with uniform cross-section. The towers that I grew up next to were made by Blaw-Knox and they were uniform cross-section. Built like a tank. Heaviest towers of the type used in AM broadcast that I've ever seen.

Here's the base of one and a view looking up of one:

N2CHX
11-24-2012, 08:43 AM
Oh BTW yes, the cables connected horizontally below the top level of guys and connected to the double set of insulators in that level of guys is indeed top-loading. It is a really interesting configuration.

n2ize
11-25-2012, 06:51 AM
because we've taken ownership of the concept ... being a nerd or a geek is generally no longer derogatory (except in the rare occasion when it is).
Maybe so but still I never refer to myself nor anyone else as "nerd" or "geek"/ Maybe I am old fashioned in that way.

n2ize
11-25-2012, 06:55 AM
We called the artist types stoners. In high school, that shoe normally fit.

Ah, but in my day many computer / hacker persons were also stoners. Then again a lot of people enjoyed getting high. For a while I wouldn't trust anyone who didn't enjoy getting high.

n6hcm
11-27-2012, 02:52 AM
Ah, but in my day many computer / hacker persons were also stoners.

some things haven't changed.

N2CHX
11-27-2012, 05:50 AM
some things haven't changed.

Yup. I still write software.

KK4AMI
11-27-2012, 07:05 AM
https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=8103&d=1353720722

That is really cool. Very nice job. My first model tower was modeled after a Blaw-Knox as well, just a lesser-known type of Blaw-Knox tower. They also made many towers with uniform cross-section. The towers that I grew up next to were made by Blaw-Knox and they were uniform cross-section. Built like a tank. Heaviest towers of the type used in AM broadcast that I've ever seen.

Here's the base of one and a view looking up of one:

How tall is that tower...and somebody actually climbs the ladder that goes up the center of that tower? If I did that, it would take my whole 30 year career to get to the top :)

W7XF
11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
Yeah... in my younger days, I was what today is known as emo (Aspergers was not diagnosed at that time). Not many friends, but everyone knew who I was (mostly called derogatory terms reserved for the LGBT community). But, when anyone needed something electronic fixed, they knew I could probably do it. And I could solder when I was 12! Just think now, how many hams do you know that are also emo???

W8XLR
11-28-2012, 07:14 PM
My model is not to any particular scale, and is simply a fictional representation of how a Blaw-Knox diamand may have looked had my favorite station in the 1960's used one (WIXY 1260). Actually, my inspiration for building it came from the masterpiece of radio transmission apparatus that WLW 700 still uses...

To answer your question, the WLW tower is 747 feet, it was originaly 831 feet. These towers are works of art. If I ever own enough property, a 1/4 wave version for 160 meters would be SWEET!

http://www.ominous-valve.com/wlw.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaw-Knox_Tower

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/stations/cinc/wlwpix.htm

To un-jack the thread (sorta)... I would want to build the 160 meter version of the diamond from 4130 chrome-moly tubing, welded, using an oxy-acetylene torch (same as my airplane fuselage)... Big boy soldering!

K7SGJ
11-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Swear to whatever might be holy. Think I now own two of everything, and still can't find either.

Dont worry, as soon as you buy a third one, the other two will show up. Probably along with one of your missing socks.

N8OBM
12-01-2012, 11:03 PM

You will have better luck finding irons that hold their temperature if you look for irons marketed for stained glass use. I have two, One that I got from a glass hobby shop and one that I got from a friend that does stained glass work. Its an OLD craftsman. I call it Big Bertha. It's also nice for soldering on to the back of potentiometers like you often do when wiring guitars.

Archie N8OBM

KB3ZGV
12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmm,

This building model towers thing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

What would Freud say?

Well I guess sometimes a cigar is just a cigar :)