PDA

View Full Version : Humane Society has some problems

W5GA
11-21-2012, 02:48 PM
As this article cautions, if you're one to give money to "animal rights" groups, you might want to rethink it.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/8592

K7SGJ
11-21-2012, 06:22 PM
We just adopt frequently. That costs a fortune any more. Instead of donating money to those places, we have a couple rescues we donate pet food to, and we donate time to do work around rescue as much as we can. I really feel sorry for the large animals.

NQ6U
11-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Interesting, Doug. I was always a bit skeptical about that lawsuit because of a friend who is a retired circus clown. According to her, circus elephants are treated like royalty, at least in the big national shows. Smaller shows are probably different but going after one of those wouldn't have made as big a media splash or been so potentially profitable.

KC2UGV
11-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, HSUS and PETA are two sides of the same coin: Both are dirty, and corrupt. I have more respect for ALF than either of them.

kb2vxa
11-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Alf eats cats but at least he's honest, except maybe when he pirates Willie's ham station.

W3WN
11-21-2012, 11:54 PM
We do not donate to any of the national organizations. I don't care how many TV ads they run with sob stories and sad pictures.

We adopted Lucy Furr, and Mickey & Max before her, from the Washington County (PA) Humane Society, which is not affiliated (as far as I know) with the national groups. Our donations go to them.

My friend & co-worker Rosanna (YF of KB3RVI) worked with several rescue groups, until her health got in the way. When she needed help (gas for a transport, a bag of puppy chow, whatever), I did what I could. And still do for the 4 rescue dogs in her home.

I don't need slick guilt trips created from expensive PR agencies.

WØTKX
11-22-2012, 12:03 AM
Yea.

I did a lot of work at a wolf rescue center, and a few years before that I helped out with feral cat rescue.

Just Do It.

KC2UGV
11-22-2012, 12:12 AM
We do not donate to any of the national organizations. I don't care how many TV ads they run with sob stories and sad pictures.

We adopted Lucy Furr, and Mickey & Max before her, from the Washington County (PA) Humane Society, which is not affiliated (as far as I know) with the national groups. Our donations go to them.

My friend & co-worker Rosanna (YF of KB3RVI) worked with several rescue groups, until her health got in the way. When she needed help (gas for a transport, a bag of puppy chow, whatever), I did what I could. And still do for the 4 rescue dogs in her home.

I don't need slick guilt trips created from expensive PR agencies.

And, you're just doing it, not just for the picture chance. Just to do what it right. Right on!

W3WN
11-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Thanks Corey.

Although I do have to admit to having second thoughts the day that Lucy Furr chewed up my coax... but I've since forgiven her. (And rerouted the coax to be on the outside of the fence, out of her reach!)

n6hcm
11-22-2012, 04:01 AM
i don't give to the large national orgs (except the ASPCA--they were the animal shelter of my youth). 2/4 of my current critters are rescues, and the other two came from the local ACC. the local SFSPCA has an admirable remit but has tended toward the way of the big national outfits--i contribute if i can determine it is supporting local operations. it's still harder to adopt from SFSPCA--the animals are in separate individual apartments and you have to scramble to find a volunteer to make things happen.

N8YX
11-22-2012, 06:13 AM
I bypass the system entirely when it comes to acquiring new pets:

All of mine just show up on the back porch. Anyone who says that feral cats cannot be domesticated isn't patient enough. The biggest attention whoremost loyal cat we have is a 20lb feral tom.

That being said, we'll donate to the local, small-scale rescues - much as in the manner we eschew United Way donations and directly contribute to those we know who are in need of help.

KK4AMI
11-22-2012, 06:41 AM
I bypass the system entirely when it comes to acquiring new pets:

All of mine just show up on the back porch. Anyone who says that feral cats cannot be domesticated isn't patient enough. The biggest attention whoremost loyal cat we have is a 20lb feral tom.

That being said, we'll donate to the local, small-scale rescues - much as in the manner we eschew United Way donations and directly contribute to those we know who are in need of help.

Ya, any wild animal can be tamed with patience, love and a couple of blood transfusions :lol:

n2ize
11-22-2012, 09:44 AM
Yea.

I did a lot of work at a wolf rescue center, and a few years before that I helped out with feral cat rescue.

Just Do It.
Feral cats... In the old days we called them "alley cats".

W5GA
11-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Our latest family addition. He came home about 2 weeks ago.
There's 90 lbs. of Rotty attached to that huge head.

NQ6U
11-22-2012, 09:45 AM
Ya, any wild animal can be tamed with patience, love and a couple of blood transfusions :lol:

Not to mention a shit-ton of Band-Aids®.

n2ize
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Yeah, HSUS and PETA are two sides of the same coin: Both are dirty, and corrupt. I have more respect for ALF than either of them.
I hate PETA. I would like to see them destroyed as an organization. They totally suck.