PDA

View Full Version : ARRL changed requirements for Em-Comm Field Instructors and Mentors

NE1LL
11-21-2012, 09:13 AM
From the ARRL ARES E-Newsletter the ARRL has increased the requirements for Field Instructors and on-line mentors. Changes include Skywarn training, student rosters and student evaluations. Terms of appointment will be three years.

A couple of points of interest:

These are the highest requirements for appointment of all ARRL positions. Section Emergency Coordinators, District Emergency Coordinators and Emergency Coordinators pale in comparison. Even section managers only need a license and full members [license].
The ARRL violates "unity of command' in the class administration. As an instructor I can't teach the class and bring in a PIO or person who is not an approved instructor or mentor. While the course tells participants to seek out people who have worked a major event among others. Course says one thing ARRL another.
The three year appointment period. Have to wait to see how this pans out. I'm curious as to the renewal requirement[s].
The link for these new requirements is www.arrl.org/requirements-for-field-instructors (http://www.arrl.org/requirements-for-field-instructors)
The ARRL can remove any instructor or mentor for no reason "ARRL reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to terminate this relationship at any time, with or without any reason or cause."

If only they held the standards for all appointments. I know of one section where appointments are made strictly on who sucks up the most. I mean when someone takes the General test over 20 times and can't pass you have to wonder who would put them in any kind of ARES position?

W3WN
11-21-2012, 11:34 AM
< snip >I mean when someone takes the General test over 20 times and can't pass you have to wonder who would put them in any kind of ARES position?And with that comment, you blew your whole argument.

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Yea, that looks like an undefined mess. As usual.

However, as to the second "point".

One of our main local NTS traffic net wonks has learning disabilities and struggles with things most of us don't. But he is trustworthy, lives independently, and works his butt off for ham radio. So yea... There is a problem with the OP's post.

Oh well. Stirring the pot is fun. Maybe Hamsexy is fertile ground?

P.S.

Nocode! Winlink! Contests!

:mrgreen:

NE1LL
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
8077 I'm not talking about one member but systemically. The section training mananager nor the SEC had even taken the ARRL Em-Comm class with-in 18 months of appointment. After three years the training manager from an ARES team with 200+ members has not taken the Em-Comm class or the exam? I mean how hard can it be to pass a test with about 130 questions in the pool?

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Self importance, of course. But the cartoon conveys the real story better than the simple snipe.

As would "pointy headed".

KJ3N
11-21-2012, 03:10 PM
It's Em-Comm. :roll:

DILLIGAF?

W3WN
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
Yea, that looks like an undefined mess. As usual.

However, as to the second "point".

One of our main local NTS traffic net wonks has learning disabilities and struggles with things most of us don't. But he is trustworthy, lives independently, and works his butt off for ham radio. So yea... There is a problem with the OP's post.

Oh well. Stirring the pot is fun. Maybe Hamsexy is fertile ground?

P.S.

:mrgreen:Back when I was dumb enough to be conned into taking the position, I was the ARRL Section Traffic Manager for WPa. (And ASM as well... well, I learned better, but I digress).

One of our most effective traffic handlers was (and still is) Jan N3EMD. So when I needed a Net Manager for our attempt at an afternoon traffic net, when she volunteered, I accepted. And she did a fantastic job.

But boy, did I get grief over it! You see, Jan also has some learning disabilities.

That she could do the job was irrelevant to certain people. I got told point blank by a few souls that I HAD to know that she was a (slur), how could I appoint her? I was told that I had met her -- once, years before, an incident I just don't remember.

...of course, none of those complaining offered to help find a replacement, or do the job themselves. They just couldn't stand the thought that someone with a disability could not only do the job, but better than they could...

Afterwards, when Otto K3SMB asked me to run for SM, as he was retiring, this incident was held against me by more than a few. Allegedly, it was one of the reasons that Otto changed his mind and decided to run for re-election after all, since these people insisted that my reputation was "damaged" by doing such a "stupid" thing. (I think he realized he didn't want to give up the position, after all, and was looking for a reason; I'd rather he'd just told me as such).

Shortly after I resigned as STM, Otto became a Silent Key. The new SM who was appointed to replace him shut that net down... after being told about how awful I had left things (although he later admitted to me he hadn't actually checked on it himself).

And I have not held a League appointment, section or division level, since. Nor do I plan to. Burned once was enough.

So if the changes are being made with the real intention of excluding otherwise qualified people who happen to have some disabilities, I'd be opposed to them on principle.

However... I've actually read the ARES E-Newsletter. Of key note is this:
Based on feedback from individuals and leaders in our community and changes in FEMA training we are making some changes to strengthen our training program. To me, the key wording there is "changes in FEMA training".

I strongly suspect that these changes are being implemented specifically because of those "changes in FEMA training" and related procedures. And if that is the case, it has nothing to do with who sucks up to who in an unnamed section, or who has or has not upgraded to General or taken the new tests.

How about we deal in facts, not inference, supposition, inuendo, or even possibly slander?

Methinks NE1LL (ex KC8AVZ) has another agenda here. And if it is what I suspect it is, I'm with Jim... DILLIGAF?

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 11:37 PM
Yea. Egos spoil the good intentions. Again, still, always.

KJ3N
11-22-2012, 12:19 AM
Methinks NE1LL (ex KC8AVZ) has another agenda here. And if it is what I suspect it is, I'm with Jim... DILLIGAF?

Another agenda or not, I still DGAFF simply because its Em-Comm.

I have always said to people who have attempted to get me involved, that I want no parts of it. There are far too many hoops to jump through and I have seen too many political games being played. Couple that with the Whackerdom, and I really don't want to be involved.

If anything, I'd like to see ham radio start to unmarry itself from the Em-Comm world. Let the pros do their job and stay the fuck out of the way.

ki4itv
11-22-2012, 01:42 AM

First, You really shouldn't do that, Dave. :lol:

Second, Why the hell does some elitist emcomm whacker come to The Island (of all places) and try to preach about changes in the whackerdome? :dunno:

Oh, BTW...welcome to The Island. Way to jump on the beach and plant your flag there bro :clap:

n2ize
11-22-2012, 01:54 PM
If anything, I'd like to see ham radio start to unmarry itself from the Em-Comm world. Let the pros do their job and stay the fuck out of way.

Amen !!!!! The best thing ham radio operators can do to help is to stay out of the way.

WØTKX
11-22-2012, 03:40 PM
First, You really shouldn't do that, Dave. :lol:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090728181724/animalcrossing/images/5/53/Real_Dung.jpg

ki4itv
11-22-2012, 03:41 PM
:neener:

ki4itv
11-22-2012, 03:42 PM
:lol:

kb2vxa
11-22-2012, 05:43 PM
But since the scarab hieroglyph, Kheper, refers variously to the ideas of existence, manifestation, development, growth, and effectiveness, the beetle itself was a favorite form used for amulets in all periods of Em-Comm history.

KC9ECI
11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
It would see homeland security has no clue about emcomms either. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/11/homeland-security-spent-430m-on-radios-its-employees-dont-know-how-to-use/

Homeland Security spent $430M on radios its employees don't know how to use
Only one of 479 employees surveyed could operate radio correctly.

w0aew
11-23-2012, 08:20 AM
Amen !!!!! The best thing ham radio operators can do to help is to stay out of the way.

That's where those little circle-jerk, do-nothing H&W "nets" are so useful to the public...gives the whackers a sandbox to play in to keep them away from the adults where they'd get in the way.

N8YX
11-23-2012, 10:58 AM
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090728181724/animalcrossing/images/5/53/Real_Dung.jpg

They see me rollin'.

They hatin'.

WØTKX
11-23-2012, 11:49 AM
But since the scarab hieroglyph, Kheper, refers variously to the ideas of existence, manifestation, development, growth, and effectiveness, the beetle itself was a favorite form used for amulets in all periods of Em-Comm history.

I'm from the Department of Dung Management. It's how I roll.

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1720678_o.gif

kb2vxa
11-23-2012, 12:05 PM
deleted