PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Leftovers

NA4BH
11-20-2012, 11:50 PM
A simple thing to do with your turkey leftovers:

After stripping the carcass of it's meat, shred (don't cut) the turkey meat into a large pan. The size of your family will determine the amount to use and of course the amount of meat you want to use. Once shredded, open a large can of Cream of Chicken soup and pour it into the pan. Add milk/cream to Q.S. ( as much as is sufficient; enough. Origin: < Latin quantum sufficit ) the mixture so that it's not too runny and not too stiff. Pepper to taste. Place on medium heat until hot. While this is heating up, make some biscuits with Bisquick (I found this to be the best for texture and taste). Once everything is cooked, split the biscuits and ladle the "soup" onto the biscuits. Enjoy. Very simple and very enjoyable, especially in cold weather. We call it "Turkey Biscuits" here. Everyone knows what is and usually there's nothing left.

Now I'm fscking hungry.

WØTKX
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Me likey Turkey Soup. Try it with Matzo balls. Yummy.

NA4BH
11-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Me likey Turkey Soup. Try it with Matzo balls. Yummy.

That sounds good, never thought about Matzo.

K7SGJ
11-21-2012, 12:04 AM
And, if you have a large quantity of the soup, or we make a pot load of broth with ours, it can be put in 1qt. seal a meal bags and put in the deep freeze for future use soup bases or dishes that require chicken stock.

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 12:05 AM
We did turkey day early, last Sat. My YL has to work Thursday.

I keep having tryptophan dreams. :D

KG4CGC
11-21-2012, 12:11 AM
My greata grandmother, Titza Gagootz, made the best Italian turkey pizza with fresh hand thrown crust.
Thata woman, she was a saint!

NQ6U
11-21-2012, 12:13 AM
We bought a 16-pound turkey for three people because we love turkey leftovers around here. We'll happily eat off them for a week without getting tired of them.

NA4BH
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Oh hell yes...............

I wish turkey sacrifices were a year round thing.

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 01:30 AM
We cooked a 23 lb turkey, with stuffing. Monster bird. Cooked it for 5 hours at 350, watching it with the thermometer.

The bird was fully "tented" with foil in the oven, then let it rest for almost 2 hours wrapped in heavy blankets. Unbelievably tender and juicy. The white meat was as moist as the dark meat. Seriously. Still quite warm after resting for two hours.

Recommended. :yes:

n6hcm
11-21-2012, 01:49 AM
not cooking or dining out this year. too lazy.

well, not cooking a turkey. i have a chicken instead (i live with four cats--they'll get suspicious if i don't come up with something tasty). i will go out on friday and get chicken soup supplies--the right stuff for this time of year.

KB3LAZ
11-21-2012, 08:18 AM

After stripping the carcass of it's meat, shred (don't cut) the turkey meat into a large pan. The size of your family will determine the amount to use and of course the amount of meat you want to use. Once shredded, open a large can of Cream of Chicken soup and pour it into the pan. Add milk/cream to Q.S. ( as much as is sufficient; enough. Origin: < Latin quantum sufficit ) the mixture so that it's not too runny and not too stiff. Pepper to taste. Place on medium heat until hot. While this is heating up, make some biscuits with Bisquick (I found this to be the best for texture and taste). Once everything is cooked, split the biscuits and ladle the "soup" onto the biscuits. Enjoy. Very simple and very enjoyable, especially in cold weather. We call it "Turkey Biscuits" here. Everyone knows what is and usually there's nothing left.

Now I'm fscking hungry.

We think alike. I do something similar as well but I also make dumplings to go with it. My mom makes a thick gravy with her version but I use the cream of (pick yours) soup. Personally, I use cream of mushroom.

Also good and easy is taking some chicken breasts sauteed with mushrooms, onion, garlic, and peppercorns. Cook some noodles (homemade or premade). Plate both and ladle on the cream soup. :) Yum.

wa6mhz
11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
my wife is cooking a 25lb turkey at WA6BEN's new apartment. They don't have any furniture or a table, so we have to bring a card table and folding chairs if we want to sit. But they do have a fully functioning oven! (our Crest house oven has worked in decades!). She doesn't really know how to cook it, but she is watching cooking TV shows to find out.

There are all sorts of suggestions. Soaking it in salt water (Who knows what that does), putting it in a cooking bag, cooking it in a roaster, tenting it with foil. The more she tries to find out, the more confusing it gets.

But people have been cooking turkeys since the days of the Pilgrims, so she will figure it out. It might be way undercooked, or so dry we have to sip water to choke it down. Who knows, but the price was right! We got it FREE in a drawing at Elks. (of course, I had to buy $9 worth of tickets to win it).

Since there will obviously alotta leftovers, we won't take any home. Well, maybe a little for the CATS. The Cats will love it. But I don't want any leftovers. So the remaints will be left with WA6BEN and family to eat the rest of the month. He is a hungry boy, so I am sure it won't go to waste.

KB3LAZ
11-21-2012, 08:38 AM
my wife is cooking a 25lb turkey at WA6BEN's new apartment. They don't have any furniture or a table, so we have to bring a card table and folding chairs if we want to sit. But they do have a fully functioning oven! (our Crest house oven has worked in decades!). She doesn't really know how to cook it, but she is watching cooking TV shows to find out.

There are all sorts of suggestions. Soaking it in salt water (Who knows what that does), putting it in a cooking bag, cooking it in a roaster, tenting it with foil. The more she tries to find out, the more confusing it gets.

But people have been cooking turkeys since the days of the Pilgrims, so she will figure it out. It might be way undercooked, or so dry we have to sip water to choke it down. Who knows, but the price was right! We got it FREE in a drawing at Elks. (of course, I had to buy $9 worth of tickets to win it).

Since there will obviously alotta leftovers, we won't take any home. Well, maybe a little for the CATS. The Cats will love it. But I don't want any leftovers. So the remaints will be left with WA6BEN and family to eat the rest of the month. He is a hungry boy, so I am sure it won't go to waste.

That reminds me of my first apartment. I was hell bent on living on my own even though I was not ready to move into a place. Sure I was making decent money but did not take into account that I could afford the rent and my bills but after the deposit, first, and last months rent I could not get any furniture. My parents offered and I said no.

Anyway, I wanted to have my parents over and make a meal. Kind of a look what I can do thing. Well, the chairs were milk crates and the table was a coffee table. Paper plates and plastic forks but it sure was fun.

wa6mhz
11-21-2012, 09:10 AM
WA6BEN is going to Arizona to see what furniture he can score from the girl's parents. I wanted to go to IKEA and get them a table, but he said no. IKEA has all sorts of cheap furniture (and is a good place to eat too). Just too big a store to walk around in. They make a Wallmart look like a 7-11!! I might get a good parking space in front, but then itsa 10 mile hike once inside.
PHEW!!! They SURE hava lotta junk in there!

KB3LAZ
11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
WA6BEN is going to Arizona to see what furniture he can score from the girl's parents. I wanted to go to IKEA and get them a table, but he said no. IKEA has all sorts of cheap furniture (and is a good place to eat too). Just too big a store to walk around in. They make a Wallmart look like a 7-11!! I might get a good parking space in front, but then itsa 10 mile hike once inside.
PHEW!!! They SURE hava lotta junk in there!

Uh...I like Ikea for little things. But for the most part they sell overpriced junk. Its good for the odd little things like I said but I would not buy anything there that I expected to last.

GOOD food? Are you insane? That crap is nasty, lol.

If I want to buy junk, I go to Big Lots. Same junk but 25% cheaper.

TBH, I like to go to flea markets and auctions and pick up good older or antique furniture and restore it. Ive bought some ugly stuff but it was solid. Some sanding and either paint or stain does the trick. :)

n2ize
11-21-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanksgiving is a big occasion at my Moms house. It dates back to the old days. Starts early in the morning. I remember the old days when my Grandma was involved. They used to prepare the turkey hours in advance, singing off the residual feathers that were left, seasoning the bird and then preparing the stuffing, putting in the stuffing and then stitching the bird closed. These days my Mom no longer does it that way she just puts a tinfoil "tent" over it. Then there is all the appetizers before the dinner. Ham, sliced cheese, biscuits, corn bread, chips, dip, hors d'oeuvre, wine de le Francaise, chips, beer chestnuts, egg nogg, you name it. By the time the turkey is on the table everyone is full... :) But we manage and then plenty of leftovers. Then the desert !!

And then comes Christmas which often brings to our table either roast goose or yeah, you guessed it... more turkey. Hard to lose weight at this time of year.

K7SGJ
11-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Another quick thing to do with leftovers, pull some turkey apart and put it on a tortilla, a big home made one if possible, add shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese, and barbecue sauce. Fold in half, and pop it in the oven or toaster oven at 350 till browned, and cheese has melted. Add more barbecue sauce outside if necessary. Works well with home made salsa, too, Quick and yum.

KB3LAZ
11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanksgiving is a big occasion at my Moms house. It dates back to the old days. Starts early in the morning. I remember the old days when my Grandma was involved. They used to prepare the turkey hours in advance, singing off the residual feathers that were left, seasoning the bird and then preparing the stuffing, putting in the stuffing and then stitching the bird closed. These days my Mom no longer does it that way she just puts a tinfoil "tent" over it. Then there is all the appetizers before the dinner. Ham, sliced cheese, biscuits, corn bread, chips, dip, hors d'oeuvre, wine de le Francaise, chips, beer chestnuts, egg nogg, you name it. By the time the turkey is on the table everyone is full... :) But we manage and then plenty of leftovers. Then the desert !!

And then comes Christmas which often brings to our table either roast goose or yeah, you guessed it... more turkey. Hard to lose weight at this time of year.

Thanksgiving, xmas, and Easter are all like that at my grandfathers house.

W5GA
11-27-2012, 11:21 AM
I BBQ my turkeys on the Weber Kettle, using indirect heat. Small fire, bird is in a pan breast down and covered (not tented) with foil. About 3/4 of the way through, remove foil and turn bird over. When the breast is at 170 degrees it's done. The bit of smoke flavor from this is simply awesome!

VE3FMC
11-27-2012, 08:00 PM
No leftover turkey for me last week because it was not Thanksgiving. But when there is leftover turkey one of my favorite things to do is make a grilled turkey sandwich. Make it the same as you would make a grilled cheese. I add cranberries to mine before I put it in the frying pan.

n2ize
11-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Now I'm fscking hungry.

Sounds good to me.

HUGH
12-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Turkey and Ham Pie, especially if Mr Turkey is beginning to lose his taste or getting a little dry.

The turkey is cut into small pieces along with bits of ham or bacon and then placed in a dish with onions, mushrooms and stock thickened with cornflour. Other vegetables can be added, it's a bit freelance, depends what's in the kitchen.
On the top is a layer of shortcrust pastry and the whole is baked in the oven and served with peas, sweetcorn, carrots or whatever you fancy.