PDA

View Full Version : Mid term user report of my Asus gamer...

W1GUH
11-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Laptop G53S (Since superceded by a faster one)

No problems at all and it performs as good as promised. Since games are pretty much the standard benchmark for computers, I'm reporting that this does all I've tried (MS FS, Need for Speed, Max Payne 3) perform as expected from a screaming machine, and in 3D.

Woops! I said "3D". Guess we'll all hear from all those who don't like it. Ah, well....but if you ARE into 3D I'm reporting that not only does this Asus do that superbly, but the 3D itself has matured since I got this machine and I no longer have to pull out my hair over premature software releases!

Yep, I LOVE this machine and I'm pretty much an enthusiast for their hardware. I now have three Asus' (high-end laptop, mid-range laptop, and a tablet) and they're all super.

When it's time for a new machine, Asus is worth checking out.

Well....guess NOW I'm going to hear from all the people who 1) Think people who don't "build thier own" are idiots, and from those who can't see the advantages of having a laptop and will only do desktops!

Takes all kinds....I guess..

n2ize
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
I have no problem with 3D but it should be called what it is since it is not true 3D. Laptops are okay for portable operation but desktops systems, particularly ones that you build yourself are much much much much much much much better. The desktop gives you much more power for a lower price and is much more versatile and just better.

So heres what I want you to do.. Throw away the 3D stuff. Throw away the laptop, and start building a desktop.

Last but not least I hate laptops. The very word "laptop" offends me. But when I hear the word "desktop" it is like beautiful music.

W1GUH
11-21-2012, 11:01 AM
You got it!

I shitcanned all my current stuff and now I'm using my old Amiga 500!

Thanks for the good advice.

KG4CGC
11-21-2012, 11:15 AM
I'm playing World of Warcraft on my abacus!

KB3LAZ
11-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Laptop G53S (Since superceded by a faster one)

No problems at all and it performs as good as promised. Since games are pretty much the standard benchmark for computers, I'm reporting that this does all I've tried (MS FS, Need for Speed, Max Payne 3) perform as expected from a screaming machine, and in 3D.

Woops! I said "3D". Guess we'll all hear from all those who don't like it. Ah, well....but if you ARE into 3D I'm reporting that not only does this Asus do that superbly, but the 3D itself has matured since I got this machine and I no longer have to pull out my hair over premature software releases!

Yep, I LOVE this machine and I'm pretty much an enthusiast for their hardware. I now have three Asus' (high-end laptop, mid-range laptop, and a tablet) and they're all super.

When it's time for a new machine, Asus is worth checking out.

Well....guess NOW I'm going to hear from all the people who 1) Think people who don't "build thier own" are idiots, and from those who can't see the advantages of having a laptop and will only do desktops!

Takes all kinds....I guess..

Im glad you enjoy it. I personally have zero brand loyalty with computers. Particularly with laptops, I buy the cheapest one that will do what I want because I will replace it in two years regardless of its technical specs. Why, because I physically destroy them over that time period.

I come from a long line of family members that just have desktops and hate laptops, I am the opposite. For one, I take my laptop to work (both traditional and the lectures/conversation classes). I stay in a domicile other than my main every weekend for three days. I drag it around outside in the sun and sand. Take it on the train, jam it under the seat while on a flight, take it on the bus, my moto, etc.

Since I am also a gamer I can not just replace it with a tab or a netbook (though I have tried..lol.) Etc, you get the point.

People that slam laptops simply do not have a need for them. Much like I do not have a need for a tab or a cell for that matter. To each their own. If you have a need for it, use it, if not dont.

As for 3D. It fucks with my head but that is me.

Again, enjoy. :)

n2ize
You got it!

I shitcanned all my current stuff and now I'm using my old Amiga 500!

Thanks for the good advice.

Great !!! :lol: Now we can hang out with some ultra-cool nerds and write some games on the PDP-11. (Which. of course. was an awesome machine for its day).

KB3LAZ
I'm playing World of Warcraft on my abacus!

Shit..WoW, that is so old school. ;)

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm gonna play Zork on my Intertech Superbrain.

As soon as I find my 8" CP/M boot floppy. :shifty:

n2ize
11-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Shit..WoW, that is so old school. ;)
The interesting thing is that as ancient as it is it is still in use. A really good abacus user can do some amazingly fast calculations on an abacus. Even more interesting is that it predates most written number systems. Even today it is still a great tool not just for calculations but for teaching about number systems. The abacus is also used for teaching binary systems, binary arithmetic and te storage of binary numbers. Along with the modern electronic computer the abacus is probably one of the most useful, simple but amazing, numerical tools ever created.

KB3LAZ
11-21-2012, 02:56 PM
The interesting thing is that as ancient as it is it is still in use. A really good abacus user can do some amazingly fast calculations on an abacus. Even more interesting is that it predates most written number systems. Even today it is still a great tool not just for calculations but for teaching about number systems. The abacus is also used for teaching binary systems, binary arithmetic and te storage of binary numbers. Along with the modern electronic computer the abacus is probably one of the most useful, simple but amazing, numerical tools ever created.

Hah. It was a joke. WoW is world of warcraft..not the word "wow". I know the abacus is archaic but I was being humorous about the age of WoW over that of the abacus.

WØTKX
11-21-2012, 03:29 PM
It's also known as Windows On Windows. :mrgreen:

W1GUH
11-23-2012, 02:33 PM
'LAZ said:

Since I am also a gamer I can not just replace it with a tab or a netbook (though I have tried..lol.) Etc, you get the point.

That'll probably change. My Asus Tab does a super job with GTA III and Max Payne, and the GTA is in (pardon the expression) 3D if I plug it into a 3D monitor. Those are very old games and I haven't tried anything current, but it seems that the processing power is there. And, it's true that I do need to have it plugged into the keyboard dock and use a gaming controller. But that combo is a LOT easier to schlepp around than a laptop.

W1GUH
11-23-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm gonna play Zork on my Intertech Superbrain.

As soon as I find my 8" CP/M boot floppy. :shifty:

Most, maybe all of Infocom's text games are available for cheap or free download.

W1GUH
11-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Great !!! :lol: Now we can hang out with some ultra-cool nerds and write some games on the PDP-11. (Which. of course. was an awesome machine for its day).

Why stop there? I've got an old PDP-1 that I play spacewar on.

But, yep, the '11 seems to stand, for me at least (but then, I'm an old Deccie) as THE minicomputer of the era.

n2ize
11-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Why stop there? I've got an old PDP-1 that I play spacewar on.

But, yep, the '11 seems to stand, for me at least (but then, I'm an old Deccie) as THE minicomputer of the era.

Well, I was going to suggest using my ENIAC but I am a bit short on tubes. ;)

When I was in grad school I played around on the DECSYSTEM 20 running TOPS 20 alot. According to some online resource the DEC 20 was a 36 bit PDP-10. But I was never totally sure of the principle difference between the DEC 20 and the PDP 11.Interesting, according to this wiki article you can access the DEC 20 at the Seattle computer museum via telnet....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECSYSTEM-20

In later years I spend most of my time on the VAX 11/785. Had some fun in those days. Yep the Computer Museum also seems to have a VAX online as well.

Do you really have a working PDP-1 ?? If so that is really awesome.

W1GUH
11-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Well, I was going to suggest using my ENIAC but I am a bit short on tubes. ;)

When I was in grad school I played around on the DECSYSTEM 20 running TOPS 20 alot. According to some online resource the DEC 20 was a 36 bit PDP-10. But I was never totally sure of the principle difference between the DEC 20 and the PDP 11.Interesting, according to this wiki article you can access the DEC 20 at the Seattle computer museum via telnet....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DECSYSTEM-20

In later years I spend most of my time on the VAX 11/785. Had some fun in those days. Yep the Computer Museum also seems to have a VAX online as well.

Do you really have a working PDP-1 ?? If so that is really awesome.

Yea...and I'm using it right now to post! No, not really, just took some license there.

We've been down this road before, but it's great reminiscing about old machines. Never used a '20, but used '10's lots and lots and still have a real affection for Tops-10. Had some quirky programs in it like Aid (Mil. interperter command line languate) and other stuff. Can't add much detail about '11's vs. 10's & 20's except what you probably already know -- The 10's and 20's were "big mainframes" that pretty much lived in computer rooms (hey! remember those?) and were there for time-sharing service, where the '11's were minis, intended to go anywhere computing was needed. I believe the instruction set for the big machines resembled those of other mainframes, wheras the instruction set for the '11's was original development as an efficient assembly/machine code system for 16 bit,byte addressed machines. The only other assembly language I liked was for the Motorola 6800 series - resembled '11 code a lot.

WØTKX
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
Concurrent plot recollection; The Myths and Legends of the Big and Little Endians. ;)

KB3LAZ
11-24-2012, 10:27 AM
'LAZ said:

That'll probably change. My Asus Tab does a super job with GTA III and Max Payne, and the GTA is in (pardon the expression) 3D if I plug it into a 3D monitor. Those are very old games and I haven't tried anything current, but it seems that the processing power is there. And, it's true that I do need to have it plugged into the keyboard dock and use a gaming controller. But that combo is a LOT easier to schlepp around than a laptop.

Im not really sure how that works. Its not really the power so much as OS compatibility. I for one play MMO's. I would assume that app based versions are more feasible with non MMO games but again, I dont know. (Partially do to cross platform issues. Ie different server networks and the need to start from scratch.)

Even still, the downfall is a full size keyboard, mouse, numbers bar and pad, and 17-18 inch display. Im more into desktop replacement laptops. I figure if they were to come out with a 17+ inch tab and I got that as well as carrying around a full size keyboard and mouse, Im not really saving any hassle.

I guess we shall see in the future.