PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Apples and Egg Nog

n2ize
11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Has anyone here ever had a REAL jelly apple ? I am not talking about the red "candy apples" or the caramel coated apples, I am talking about a real jelly apple.

When I was a lad growing up in Brooklyn a man used to come around with a push cart. On the cart was a large copper pot that was heated by a flame from below, gas, coal, wood, charcoal, or whatever he used then. One day when he was coming down my street I asked my Mom if she would buy me one. She did. It was delicious. But most of all I remember the jelly. It was thick, it coated the apple and stayed on, yet it was soft and it was not hard candy as most are today.

It was the first and last one I ever had. Next season a different guy came down the street and I bought one and instead of that nice tasty soft "jelly" it was the hard candy. Not that I didn't like it, it was just that it was not quite like the nice soft jelly apples the other guy had. Since then I have only found the candied apples and I have yet to find anyone selling the apples with the soft jelly.

Anyone remember this ? I guess its just another thing that has passed on with time. I am probably one of the few remaining old jerks that still remember.

Oh, and the Egg Nogg. Found some egg nog as Fresh Market the other day. Comes in glass bottles and reminds me of the egg nog we used to get in glass bottles when I was a kid. In those days the milk man used to deliver them in glass bottles round the holiday seasons. Great stuff. So far this is the best and closest that I have found.

KB3LAZ
11-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Never heard of it. Google does not seem to have a lot of info either. I get a lot of apple jelly sites though. lol

n2ize
11-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Never heard of it. Google does not seem to have a lot of info either. I get a lot of apple jelly sites though. lol

Only reference I could find so far is on Wikipedia where they refer to a candied apple from Coney Island which had a soft cherry flavored "jelly" coating as opposed to a hard cinnamon candy coating. So perhaps that is what I had. Might figure too, I was in Brooklyn and not all that far from Coney Island.