11-16-2012, 01:37 PM
Starting in a week at 6:00PM CST.

UR 5NN 04 GL

KJ3N
11-16-2012, 08:37 PM
It's that weird beeping noise again... :hand:

N7YA
11-21-2012, 07:48 AM
My alltime favorite contest and im going to miss the entire thing...i leave on a plane a few hours before it starts, and return right as its ending. This sucks!

But i can grab a lot of peri-contest activity though. Worked EL2LF this morning on 15m.

W5GA
11-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Same here, too busy to play this year. We'll see when the ARRL DX rolls around....keeping my fingers crossed!
5R8AL was strong here on 12m yesterday.

W3WN
11-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm looking forward to CQ WW. I should have a few hours over the weekend to devote to the 'test.

Only thing I don't like? K5ZD has started something new this year... if you show up in submitted logs, but haven't submitted one yourself, you'll start getting emails from him strongly requesting that you send yours in too. (Since I oppose CQ WW's stance on open logs, and Randy has told me point blank that if I don't like it, don't submit... I find this barrage of e-mails quite annoying!)

KJ3N
11-21-2012, 02:15 PM
Only thing I don't like? K5ZD has started something new this year... if you show up in submitted logs, but haven't submitted one yourself, you'll start getting emails from him strongly requesting that you send yours in too. (Since I oppose CQ WW's stance on open logs, and Randy has told me point blank that if I don't like it, don't submit... I find this barrage of e-mails quite annoying!)

I would think a well-placed "Go Fuck Yourself" would put an end to that. :dunno:

W3WN
11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I would think a well-placed "Go Fuck Yourself" would put an end to that. :dunno:Yeah, you might think that.

So did I. Didn't work.

He's actually managed to piss me off, in a small way.

He told me, in not so many words, a couple of years ago, that if I didn't agree with the implementation of Open Logs, don't submit my logs to the contest.
Now he tells me that since I don't submit logs, my opinion doesn't matter, so I am to publicly STFU about anything he does with the contest.
And then he demands I send in logs anyway.

Great choice. Be a hypocrite, or be ignored.

KJ3N
11-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, you might think that.

So did I. Didn't work.

That's when I block them, or create a filter to delete any email from them. Solves it quite nicely. ;) :yes:

ETA: This is one reason I don't get that involved with contesting. Some of the people take it WAY too seriously.

N7YA
11-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Those same people have no bearing on that rare African station ending up in my real log. I always participate, but i never submit logs.

W3WN
11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
That's when I block them, or create a filter to delete any email from them. Solves it quite nicely. ;) :yes:

ETA: This is one reason I don't get that involved with contesting. Some of the people take it WAY too seriously.Yeah, some of them do.

I won't block him. I dare not... otherwise, the next stupid idea that comes along will get implemented without any input from those in the minority, like me.

Someone tried, a few years ago, to insist that ALL contesters be REQUIRED to record their operation, be it 10 minutes or all 48 hours... and then be required to make those records available on demand for an indefinite period of time. Some even wanted it to be streamed online in real time.

Now it would be easier to do today than it was at the time... but that's not the point. I was one of those who fought this one off, merely by pointing out that if I had money to invest in my station, I'd put it into antennas, radios, and so forth -- but not computers, extra hard drives, high speed internet connections, and so forth.

These same turkeys still want to do stupid things like this. Seems that they're convinced that since some are suspected of "cheating" (for a certificate? are you kidding me?), ALL must be considered guilty until proven innocent, and be treated accordingly.

I may be an obstinate old fashioned hard core operator... and an a$$hole... but I'll be damned if I let these maroons ruin one of my favorite parts of the hobby because of THEIR paranoia and distrust.

KJ3N
11-22-2012, 12:33 AM
I may be an obstinate old fashioned hard core operator... and an a$$hole... but I'll be damned if I let these maroons ruin one of my favorite parts of the hobby because of THEIR paranoia and distrust.

I don't let them ruin my fun because I simply refuse to play by their rules. I'm in a contest to do things MY way, not anyone else's. Why else would I be nuts enough to try to "limit" myself to 83 Qs to work 83 sections? What "normal" contester does such a thing?

Except for the 2010 DE QSO Party, I've NEVER submitted a contest log. I'm only thinking about submitting my log for SS to get the mug, if I bother to submit my log at all. I did it to prove to myself that I could do it.

kf0rt
11-22-2012, 07:19 AM
Why else would I be nuts enough to try to "limit" myself to 83 Qs to work 83 sections?

Y'know... I was thinking they should have a name for that. Maybe "REALLY clean sweep" or something. Of course in this world, it would probably have to be ULTRA Clean Sweep or SUPER Clean Sweep.

Hope ya get the mug. :)

NY4Q
11-22-2012, 07:29 AM
Now you're talking. This is the only coRntest I participate in. My whopping 5WPM sending & receiving on a Radio Shack straight key shore do frustrate. :)

W5GA
11-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Now you're talking. This is the only coRntest I participate in. My whopping 5WPM sending & receiving on a Radio Shack straight key shore do frustrate. :)
Frustrate you, or the guy on the other end?

NY4Q
11-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Frustrate you, or the guy on the other end?

Yes...

Ya know how you can come off an interstate and you're used to running 75MPH to 90MPH and then you get on some two-lane and find it difficult to go 30MPH? Well there ya go.

WN9HJW
11-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Post Deleted

NY4Q
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Sorry sir, but this is a true Corn Tester...

The paid model in that other pic is no contester.

W3WN
11-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Let's get this straight:

This is a Corntester:

And this is a Contester:

See the difference? Got it now?That picture is obviously faked. She's not using the Model 15, she's sending on the bug!

K7SGJ
11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
That picture is obviously faked. She's not using the Model 15, she's sending on the bug!

From the look on her face, I'd say she's sitting an a bug.

dit dit

N7YA
11-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Alright! Here are my WW results.....ZF1A, RI1ANF and XE2X....yep, thats it.

I just got off an airplane so i had about an hour to play with the contest...an hour and all i got was 3 contacts.

Ill try my hand at the ARRL DX and 10m tests, and WPX. I missed this one because im trying to pay my mortgage.

X-Rated
11-25-2012, 07:31 PM

Hell. I took my code test in January, 1979. I don't even remember the code anymore.

I got 115 Q's in the contest, and a claimed score of 23,458 points. I did get AK and HI and St/ Croix for my US contacts. Noise was hell here between S5 and S7. So many stations I knew i could pull out if I didn't have the damned noise. I was strictly on 15M. But, it's a way to pass away half of the holiday weekend.

Just especially for the contest, I built a K5RP antenna for 15 and mounted it for horizontal polarization. (So it looks like a vertical antenna) Never used one before. It seemed to work out okay. I made a few contacts. Next year I am gonna have a monster quad up 500 feet and a QRO amp driven by an FT-DX9000. Oh yeah. I'm dreaming.

X-Rated
11-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Alright! Here are my WW results.....ZF1A, RI1ANF and XE2X....yep, thats it.

I just got off an airplane so i had about an hour to play with the contest...an hour and all i got was 3 contacts.

Ill try my hand at the ARRL DX and 10m tests, and WPX. I missed this one because im trying to pay my mortgage.

Excellent. I made 4 contacts in the final 60 minutes. Get a load of these...

6Y3M
XR3A
XL3A
VE3AAQ

Looked impressive until you realize the XL call is Canuck.

W5GA
11-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Excellent. I made 4 contacts in the final 60 minutes. Get a load of these...

6Y3M
XR3A
XL3A
VE3AAQ

Looked impressive until you realize the XL call is Canuck.
I made 4 contacts for the whole weekend
7P8D
D4C
EL2A
9J3A
all on 10m for new band fillers.

N7YA
11-26-2012, 04:55 AM
4 very nice ones, though. I am still chasing 7P...nice job.

W3WN
11-26-2012, 08:41 AM
I made 4 contacts for the whole weekend
7P8D
D4C
EL2A
9J3A
all on 10m for new band fillers.Very nice. I saw some spots for the 7P, but never heard him.

Made about 60 Q's, just putzing around on Saturday evening & Sunday morning. Probably spent more time making some minor changes in the shack to accomodate the "new" dedicated PSK station; just have to re-rig some coax switching and verify everything is working.

KB3LIX
11-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Ended up with 483 Q's and 459,000 points.

Lots of good DX to be had over the weekend:
Tanzania
Senegal
Lesotho
Zambia
The Gambia
Cape Verde
Angola
Liberia
Namibia
Mauritania
Ascention Island
Canary Islands

And those are just AFRICA

I missed several hours on friday when my furnace crapped out
and several more saturday evening when the grand kids showed up.
My score should have been better, but the interruptions
made a big difference.

X-Rated
11-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Great job Travis. I am envious.

Was this 40M or on different bands? Do you have your own station set up? What is your call?

NY4Q
11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Hell. I took my code test in January, 1979. I don't even remember the code anymore.

Well I plum forgot about the coRntest anyway. I guess my next chance to pound brass (or the cheap, Chinese equivalent) will be on Straight Key Night.

W3WN
11-26-2012, 07:27 PM
Well I plum forgot about the coRntest anyway. I guess my next chance to pound brass (or the cheap, Chinese equivalent) will be on Straight Key Night.
160 Meter contest this coming weekend (CW Only), 10 Meter the weekend after (CW & SSB). No need to have to wait for SKN.

Grab another beer, strap on your Chinese brass ones, and go have fun. Or not. Up to you.

X-Rated
12-06-2012, 12:41 AM
Ended up with 483 Q's and 459,000 points.

Lots of good DX to be had over the weekend:
Tanzania
Senegal
Lesotho
Zambia
The Gambia
Cape Verde
Angola
Liberia
Namibia
Mauritania
Ascention Island
Canary Islands

And those are just AFRICA

I missed several hours on friday when my furnace crapped out
and several more saturday evening when the grand kids showed up.
My score should have been better, but the interruptions
made a big difference.

Excellent job. Sorry I confused you with LAZ.