PDA

View Full Version : Making Easy Bread

KK4AMI
11-15-2012, 07:42 AM
I'm practicing for Thanksgiving. My wife has to work, so I'll be doing most of the cooking. Good smelling bread always encourages a good appetite. I'm trying a couple of loaves of "No Knead Bread" now so I know which one I like the best. So far I'm lovin' the results of my practice. This stuff is great. I've tried it with wheat, bread and all purpose flour. I'm baking the stuff in an old early 1900s Aluminum Dutch Oven.

PS- Who said baking your own bread was cheaper than buying a loaf from the store? I think flour is pretty expensive.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?ref=dining

K7SGJ
11-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Since I retired a few years ago, we have yet to buy a bread product from the store. I make our bread, muffins, rolls, and all that stuff. I make two loaves a week, and especially like potato bread, egg bread, Rye, and French Baguettes. Hell, I love them all. We usually buy our bread flour at Costco. It is really inexpensive there. Although it is a 25# bag and would last a long time for most, it doesn't last more than a month or so around here. Have fun with the bread making, and be adventurous with unusual recipes, or experiment with your own design. And BTW, you are right. Nothing smells better than bread or cookies baking. I'm making pumpernickel today. Yum..............

KC2UGV
11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Since I retired a few years ago, we have yet to buy a bread product from the store. I make our bread, muffins, rolls, and all that stuff. I make two loaves a week, and especially like potato bread, egg bread, Rye, and French Baguettes. Hell, I love them all. We usually buy our bread flour at Costco. It is really inexpensive there. Although it is a 25# bag and would last a long time for most, it doesn't last more than a month or so around here. Have fun with the bread making, and be adventurous with unusual recipes, or experiment with your own design. And BTW, you are right. Nothing smells better than bread or cookies baking. I'm making pumpernickel today. Yum..............

You should see if you can get a competitive flour price from local farmers. You usually can, and it might be cheaper than Cotsco even, and higher quality.

K7SGJ
11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
You should see if you can get a competitive flour price from local farmers. You usually can, and it might be cheaper than Cotsco even, and higher quality.

I would, but the only mill nearby is in Tempe. The old Hayden Mill that has been closed for many many years. Not much wheat around here that I know of, but I do buy oats, rice, and other grains in quantity and grind them with the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid. It works quite well. Every so often, we also make dog biscuits out of what ever flours we have. They really like them, especially the rice/oat with peanut butter ones. The spoiled bastids.

KC9ECI
11-15-2012, 04:51 PM
http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/kc9eciloaf.jpg

Made this one the other evening.

1 can of beer, 3 cups of bread flour, 1 tablespoon yeast, 1 of flax seed, 2 of olive oil, pinch of salt.

40 minutes first rise, punch down, 30-40 minutes on the 2nd in the pan. Give it 3 slices diagonally across the top with a very sharp blade and a light dusting with flour and bake 35-40 minutes around 375f.

KK4AMI
11-15-2012, 05:56 PM
http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/kc9eciloaf.jpg

Made this one the other evening.

1 can of beer, 3 cups of bread flour, 1 tablespoon yeast, 1 of flax seed, 2 of olive oil, pinch of salt.

40 minutes first rise, punch down, 30-40 minutes on the 2nd in the pan. Give it 3 slices diagonally across the top with a very sharp blade and a light dusting with flour and bake 35-40 minutes around 375f.

Wow, I can smell it from here. Do you put the beer in it, or drink it as your making it? :)

KC9ECI
11-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I should have said 2 beers, one for the bread, one for the baker.

Almost forgot, when the oven is hot, right after you put the bread in, take a measuring cup with a couple tablespoons of water in it, splash it on the side of the hot oven and close the door. A little humidity in a bread oven is a good thing.

kf0rt
11-15-2012, 06:19 PM
What's the kilowatt-hour per loaf quotient on that?

Looks pretty superb here.

KK4AMI
11-15-2012, 06:44 PM

We aren't in Kansas Toto. The only thing they seem to grow in this part of Virginia pertains to livestock feed, wine making, apple pie or recreational smoking! Only wish we could go to a farmer.

KC9ECI
11-15-2012, 07:46 PM
What's the kilowatt-hour per loaf quotient on that?

Looks pretty superb here.

Rate here is a bit more than .10 per kilowatt hour so with warmup time and bake time, I'm probably spending between 20 and 30 cents per session.

KB3LAZ
11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
I can buy two loves of fresh bread from the downstairs baker for 1€. Its fresh and taste homemade. I can not make it for that. Now, white sliced bread like you would buy at a place like walmart in the states is like 3€ a loaf here. I have no idea why. It does not taste near as good.

KC9ECI
11-15-2012, 09:07 PM
FYI, I come by this honestly. This is a photo of my Great Aunt and Uncle in front of their bakery. My mother, grandmother, and two uncles worked there. I pretty much grew up there. The best guess to the date this photo was taken is the early 1950's, a bit before my time, but right about the time my oldest brother made his debut.

http://galesvillefiredepartment.org/kc9eci/kc9ecibakery.jpg

KK4AMI
11-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Ha, never buy baked goods from skinny people. They obviously don't like their own product! :lol:

Great picture and a great heritage. My Uncle ran a Rexall Drug Store, no I did not keep the "pushing drugs" heritage going. :snicker:

KC2UGV
11-16-2012, 07:35 AM
I would, but the only mill nearby is in Tempe. The old Hayden Mill that has been closed for many many years. Not much wheat around here that I know of, but I do buy oats, rice, and other grains in quantity and grind them with the grinder attachment for the Kitchenaid. It works quite well. Every so often, we also make dog biscuits out of what ever flours we have. They really like them, especially the rice/oat with peanut butter ones. The spoiled bastids.

That's right, I forgot you live in the more arid area of the nation.

We aren't in Kansas Toto. The only thing they seem to grow in this part of Virginia pertains to livestock feed, wine making, apple pie or recreational smoking! Only wish we could go to a farmer.

You'd be surprised. People need grain, and if there is arable land, farmers tend to grow it. I was surprised to find out that Western New York is a rather big grain producer. I thought we just did cherries, apples, and grapes.

KK4AMI
11-16-2012, 08:15 AM

You'd be surprised. People need grain, and if there is arable land, farmers tend to grow it. I was surprised to find out that Western New York is a rather big grain producer. I thought we just did cherries, apples, and grapes.

We do have a few "Mills" in the area. They are Tourist Traps however, prices are worse then COSTCO or Sams Club.

KK4AMI
11-16-2012, 08:17 AM

WE do have a few antique "Tourist Trap" Mills in the area, but prices are worse then COSTCO or Sam's Club.

KC2UGV
11-16-2012, 08:19 AM
WE do have a few antique "Tourist Trap" Mills in the area, but prices are worse then COSTCO or Sam's Club.

Yeah, stay away from those. It takes a bit to find out who does what out there (You should know this), but there's a mill ran by a family of 5 about 30 minutes from the house whose prices beat Sam's Club .

n2ize
11-16-2012, 06:55 PM
I am looking for a recipe for a really nice southern cornbread. I realize that there is no single recipe as different regions have different recipes. But pretty much any good recipe will do. One thing I loved about the south was the food. Some of the best cooking in the land.

NQ6U
11-16-2012, 07:28 PM
I am looking for a recipe for a really nice southern cornbread.

1cup flour
1cup corn meal
1/4 cup sugar*
1 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1egg
1/4 cup oil
1 cup milk

*Some Southerners say real corn bread should not contain sugar so you can omit it if you choose.

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In another bowl, use a wire whisk to mix the egg and oil together, then add the milk and whisk until blended. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until the batter is mixed. A few lumps is okay. Pour the batter into a greased 8x8 baking pan and bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Eat it while it's still hot!

KK4AMI
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Yes my wife's side of the family is named Clampitt and yes sometimes I call her Ellie Mae :hyper:

Grandma Sallie Clampitt's Southern Spoonbread (Cornbread)

1 Cup Ground White Corn Meal
2 Cups boiling water
1 Cup Milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
2 Tbl Spoons of Butter

In a saucepan, poor boiling water over cornmeal. Stir well over medium heat. Remove from heat and add cold milk.
Lightly beat eggs - add to mixture. Add salt and baking powder, stirring well.

Put butter in baking dish and place in 400 deg oven until butter melts. Swish butter around the bottom and sides of the baking dish.
Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 60 minutes in 400 deg oven until top is golden brown.

K7SGJ
11-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Add about a 1/4 cup of honey to your cornbread mix, and it will be super moist.

n2ize
11-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Sounds like some good stuff. Thanks for the recipes. I'll give em a try..