PDA

View Full Version : If you're approaching Medicare age...some info for you....

W1GUH
11-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Purely informational....no politics are intended here.

Be wary of picking an HMO -- it can cause problems.

What happened is I enrolled in an HMO. Their coverage seemed pretty good and the cost was reasonable, and my doctor was a part of it. What else did I need to know? Medicare stuff, and the difference between a Medicare Supplement and an HMO,that's what.

The literature I had didn't spell out that difference -- I thought both plans offered by the company were supplements. I was dead wrong. The HMO isn't a supplement, but a pretty complete plan. In that situation, Medicare pays what the HMO doesn't. (I'm pretty sure I've got that right).

OTOH, with a Medicare Supplement, the supplement pays what Medicare doesn't.

And...I only had HMO coverage for a month because, as it turned out, my doctor no longer participated in the HMO, and as soon as I learned that, I pretty much had to switch back to Blue Cross.

Tip: When you're selecting a plan and your doctor is listed by the plan as being a participant, it's best to call your doctor's office to make sure of that. This is something I didn't know beforehand. Would have saved LOTS of grief!

So, OK, as of 11/1 I've got Blue Cross, and I thought I was home free. Well, maybe, almost.

Medicare still thinks I have that HMO, and it won't pay what it thinks that would have paid. Don't think this is a real problem, only a processing delay that will be straightened up as the machine chugs through the change, but it was a shock to find it out at the hospital today.

I DO wish that there had been some sort of seminar or conference call where this is spelled out, would've helped a LOT.

BTW, saw the doctor today and I'm doing just as good as ever. Guess I'd rather have that good and insurance a hassle than easy insurance and treatment that's a problem!

W5GA
11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Good info, thanks!

W1GUH
11-14-2012, 06:51 PM
You're very welcome. May you not get the same rude surprises that have littered my path in this!

NQ6U
11-15-2012, 09:38 AM
I just want the government to keep their hands off my Medicare and Social Security.

K7SGJ
11-15-2012, 09:46 AM
I just want the government to keep their hands off my Medicare and Social Security.

Spoken like a true repub.......................oh shit...............never mind.

n6hcm
11-16-2012, 12:35 AM
when is medicare age, anyway? social security age is pretty much 70 anymore (you get a reduced benefit otherwise).

W1GUH
11-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Social Security:

You can go on the dole at 62 with a reduced pension. Pension goes up between 62 and 70.

Applying online is very easy, and SS people are very pleasant to deal with.

Medicare starts at 65. If you've already applied for SS, enrollment is automatic. Dunno about if you're not getting a pension.

K7SGJ
11-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Social Security:

You can go on the dole at 62 with a reduced pension. Pension goes up between 62 and 70.

Applying online is very easy, and SS people are very pleasant to deal with.

Medicare starts at 65. If you've already applied for SS, enrollment is automatic. Dunno about if you're not getting a pension.

I'll be doing the Medicare thing is August. I'm just now researching supplement plans. My current coverage with my old employer is about $600/month, with a $200 contribution from the State, so out of pocket is around $400. Their medicare supplement coverage doesn't cost a whole lot less. I can't seem to get my head around that. Anyway, I have time to checkout other alternatives, one of which is to go completely with the State. In any case, the real pisser is going to be adding my wife to my healthcare coverage. She is 56, and her coverage will end in a couple of weeks when they close the store. Her cost will add an additional $1000 a month. I've yet to see anything that resembles affordable health care for folks on a fixed income. Just the cost of the insurance will eat up all of the SS, plus some.

W1GUH
11-19-2012, 05:08 PM
I took former employer group plans for medical and scripts. I kinda thought that that way, at least I'm pretty sure that the plans are decent. The flood of hype mail from supplement insurers is totally confusing and I couldn't really figure out who was good and who wasn't. I have heard hearsay (and it's just that, so I really don't know) that staying with a company plan is the thing to do.

In that same conversation I heard that Medicare Supplements are VERY profitable -- they must be as much as they advertise to get customers. My supplement is also "not that much" less than full coverage. That may be the answer?