PDA

View Full Version : Did Yours Start Yet?

W3WN
11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
They started this morning. Earliest I can ever remember.

"What?", you wonder? (I'll bet Kelli knows already!)

24 hour Christmas music.

When I worked at the old WGMR-FM, we wouldn't even crack open the Christmas stuff until the day before Thanksgiving. The day after is when we'd start... work in 1 an hour, then 2 or 3, building up to the week before. Only in the last few days would we come close to saturation; of course, on Christmas Eve (starting around dusk) and Christmas Day, it would be 100%. [I often worked shifts on both, for the benefit of those co-workers who celebrated the holidays; I had an album of music from The Nutcracker, when you heard that on the air, you'd know I was busy eating lunch/dinner or otherwise, ah, occupied...]

But that was a long time ago, before I moved to Pittsburgh... back in the days of vinyl records and CART machines for commercials (commercial version of an 8 track).

The last decade or so, one of the local stations, WSHH-FM, had become "The Christmas Station" for most of December. Last few years, they ran Christmas music 24x7 all weekend starting right after Thanksgiving, going 100% after the 2nd weekend in December.

Two years ago, they were all Xmas in all of December.

Last year? Started on the Friday before Thanksgiving, to co-incide with Pittsburgh's annual Light-Up Night.

This year? 4 AM today.

Even my daughter -- who is religious, who sings in the church choir, who loves most of this music -- looked at me when she got up and said "Really? already? They're kidding, right?"

But They Have To Be First!

Yuch.

The LEAST they could do is throw in a little Spike Jones, or some Bob Rivers, or the original (non-snarky) "Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer", from time to time. They won't even play the Singing Dogs barking Jingle Bells! They don't want to offend anyone, you see...

Time to get an MP3 player or another iPod and tune the radio out for 2 months (they don't quit until AFTER New Years!)

N2CHX
11-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Yup. The two stations in town who do it started last week.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 03:09 PM
I'd never listen to a radio station that would do that. :rofl:

N2CHX
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I'd never listen to a radio station that would do that. :rofl:

My son loves it. I used to work for one. I don't listen to ANY terrestrial radio anymore. I haven't in at least five years with the exception of having to do so for employment purposes.

KK4AMI
11-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Top all that off with Lifetime Television.They started with their unlimited supply of Christmas Movies. :yuck: My wife records the new ones and old ones on the DVR.

KG4CGC
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
It will be a week after New Years before I can watch another Fraiser rerun on Hallmark TV.

NY3V
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
They started this morning. Earliest I can ever remember.

"What?", you wonder? (I'll bet Kelli knows already!)

24 hour Christmas music.

When I worked at the old WGMR-FM, we wouldn't even crack open the Christmas stuff until the day before Thanksgiving. The day after is when we'd start... work in 1 an hour, then 2 or 3, building up to the week before. Only in the last few days would we come close to saturation; of course, on Christmas Eve (starting around dusk) and Christmas Day, it would be 100%. [I often worked shifts on both, for the benefit of those co-workers who celebrated the holidays; I had an album of music from The Nutcracker, when you heard that on the air, you'd know I was busy eating lunch/dinner or otherwise, ah, occupied...]

But that was a long time ago, before I moved to Pittsburgh... back in the days of vinyl records and CART machines for commercials (commercial version of an 8 track).

The last decade or so, one of the local stations, WSHH-FM, had become "The Christmas Station" for most of December. Last few years, they ran Christmas music 24x7 all weekend starting right after Thanksgiving, going 100% after the 2nd weekend in December.

Two years ago, they were all Xmas in all of December.

Last year? Started on the Friday before Thanksgiving, to co-incide with Pittsburgh's annual Light-Up Night.

This year? 4 AM today.

Even my daughter -- who is religious, who sings in the church choir, who loves most of this music -- looked at me when she got up and said "Really? already? They're kidding, right?"

But They Have To Be First!

Yuch.

The LEAST they could do is throw in a little Spike Jones, or some Bob Rivers, or the original (non-snarky) "Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer", from time to time. They won't even play the Singing Dogs barking Jingle Bells! They don't want to offend anyone, you see...

Time to get an MP3 player or another iPod and tune the radio out for 2 months (they don't quit until AFTER New Years!)

Every year, way before Christmas, I am Sick of the music!

Not to mention the Shopping Season starting earlier each year!

And Now we have 2 Year Election Campaigns every 2 years On Top of Those! :wall:

kb2vxa
11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
I haven't listened to radio in years, haven't watched OTA TV either. Some of the cable channels are saturated with Christmas movies, scratch that too. Where is the Broadcast Grinch when we need him? Bah, HUMBUG!

KJ3N
11-14-2012, 08:08 PM
Of the radio stations I listen to when I'm in the car, none so far. I expect that to change shortly. :roll:

KG4CGC
11-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Spending more time on HULU.

NA4BH
11-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Christmas music and fruitcake, you can never have too much.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 08:50 PM
My son loves it. I used to work for one. I don't listen to ANY terrestrial radio anymore. I haven't in at least five years with the exception of having to do so for employment purposes.

Mostly listen to NPR in the car. Pandora feed at work.

Must be a damn hippie or something.

KJ3N
11-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Mostly listen to NPR in the car. Pandora feed at work.

Must be a damn hippie or something.

Secret ACORN supporter. ;)

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 09:04 PM
Secret ACORN supporter. ;)

My nuts itch.

kb2vxa
11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Roasting on an open fire should fix that.

K7SGJ
11-14-2012, 09:12 PM
My nuts itch.

They have medicine to treat that.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Roasting on an open fire should fix that.

Somehow knew that was coming.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 09:37 PM
They have medicine to treat that.

Does it work? :evil:

KJ3N
11-14-2012, 10:27 PM
My nuts itch.

Try boxers.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 10:33 PM
Try boxers.

I thought I was an ACORN supporter.

-Won Hung Low

N2NH
11-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Nothing here yet. I am looking forward to it.

After December 1ѕт.

KJ3N
11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I thought I was an ACORN supporter.

-Won Hung Low

Well, we know who you're not.

Sum Yung Gye

W2NAP
11-17-2012, 12:01 AM
some stations do the xmas music crap before they flip to a new format right after xmas..

I remember 93.1 in Indy doing xmas music from mid oct. till day after xmas few years back before they switched wibc-am to 93.1

PA5COR
11-17-2012, 04:18 AM
First we have our Santa claus stuff here ( Sinterklaas) for the kids.
Then Xmas and the musc in the stores start 6th December...F*ck them

N2NH
11-17-2012, 08:14 AM
The stores here have been setting up displays for 2 weeks now. Every one of them has part of the store set up for Christmas.

I heard my first All-Holiday-Music station in the store yesterday. Thankfully due to the mountains we can't get it here.

W1GUH
11-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Haven't heard anything on the local stations here, but then I wouldn't - most of the time I'm listening to Satellite radio. And there, they've allotted one of my favorite channels (40's of 4) OF!!!!! to 24 hour Christmas music. But I like how they do it -- have a separate channel for when you want to hear it -- keeps it out of other channels so you don't HAVE to hear it.

n6hcm
11-17-2012, 11:46 PM
But I like how they do it -- have a separate channel for when you want to hear it -- keeps it out of other channels so you don't HAVE to hear it.

there's an OTA FM station here which uses its second channel for oldies ... except this time of year, when they turn it to xmas crap. makes me wish i had more satellite radios throughout the house, but i don't, so i just turn up the one connected to my bedroom receiver so loud that i can hear it throughout my house.