PDA

View Full Version : Good Chinese Food

n2ize
11-13-2012, 06:43 PM
Just curious. Is san Francisco still considered the hub of good Chinese food ? It's getting hard to find good chinese food here in the east these days. Most restaurands are offering a Chinese/Asian/Sushi fusion recipes but the quality of Chinese food overall had gone down. Of course there are places in Chinatown in Manhattan where i can still get the real Chinese cuisine. These are generally places where members of the Chinese community, and often the Chinese street gangs go for their meals. But outside of Chinatown I find it hard to find authentic and fine quality.I heard that San Francisco used to have the best of the best. Just wondering if that is true anymore ?

KB3LAZ
11-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Just curious. Is san Francisco still considered the hub of good Chinese food ? It's getting hard to find good chinese food here in the east these days. Most restaurands are offering a Chinese/Asian/Sushi fusion recipes but the quality of Chinese food overall had gone down. Of course there are places in Chinatown in Manhattan where i can still get the real Chinese cuisine. These are generally places where members of the Chinese community, and often the Chinese street gangs go for their meals. But outside of Chinatown I find it hard to find authentic and fine quality.I heard that San Francisco used to have the best of the best. Just wondering if that is true anymore ?

Yes, the Asian fusion restaurants as you put it are becoming the norm in the area of PA I come from as well. Quite popular here in Spain as well.

I find that buffets are the worst of all. A nice sit down place often times is more "authentic" by that I mean more traditional Americanized Chinese food rather than an Asian combo.

WØTKX
11-13-2012, 07:48 PM
Go to an H-Mart and stock up, John. Fun place.

n2ize
11-13-2012, 08:01 PM
Go to an H-Mart and stock up, John. Fun place.
Yeah, I have been to H-mart. It's a really great store. They have some great stuff. Really good. We have a new H-Mart only a couple of miles from my home. Otherwise I head down to Chinatown in Manhattan and go to the places where the Chinese street gangs go to eat. Those guys know the best restaurants. I just hope a rival gang doesn't show up.. :pray:

kb2vxa
11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Reminds me of a time I went with a Chinese friend to Chinatown, NY where he parked his Fleetwood in a no parking zone in front of a church and paid some gangsters to watch it. We went around the corner to one of those mom n' pop places and had some authentic food, none of that Americanized stuff and it was really good. It pays to know Chinese people who know their way around, especially one with a Gangstamobile.

n2ize
11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Yes, the Asian fusion restaurants as you put it are becoming the norm in the area of PA I come from as well. Quite popular here in Spain as well.

I find that buffets are the worst of all. A nice sit down place often times is more "authentic" by that I mean more traditional Americanized Chinese food rather than an Asian combo.
I know what you mean. The problem that I have had is that some of the "Americanized" Chinese restaurants that have gone into the Asian/Fusion have turned more or less into Sushi restaurants and the more traditional "Chinese/American" dishes have become a sideline and are not always as good quality as they once were. Since I am not much of a Sushi fan I am disheartened by the quality of local Chinese restaurants these days. Best place I know of these days is a local take-out place within walking distance of my home.

n2ize
11-14-2012, 03:24 PM
Reminds me of a time I went with a Chinese friend to Chinatown, NY where he parked his Fleetwood in a no parking zone in front of a church and paid some gangsters to watch it. We went around the corner to one of those mom n' pop places and had some authentic food, none of that Americanized stuff and it was really good. It pays to know Chinese people who know their way around, especially one with a Gangstamobile.

If I want real authentic Chinese cuisine I head to Chinatown in Manhattan and go to the places that the Chinese go to. Yes, most of them do serve the real authentic stuff. A few of them do have "Americanized" dishes to satisfy the occaisional American client who prefers to order what he is familiar with. But most of the authentic Ma&Pa type restaurants seem to appreciate when an American has taken the time to learn about the authentic stuff. Yea, some of the Chinatown Gangsta's will do that. I've encountered some rather powerful and influential gangs at some of the restaurants and they were always polite. A couple of them pointed me in the direction of some excellent authentic Chinese restaurants and they didn't steer me wrong.

kb2vxa
11-14-2012, 07:36 PM
If they pay protection the food must be good. (;->) Not to change the subject, my at the time girlfriend and I found an exceptionally good Italian restaurant and one day we found out why. In walked a well dressed, perfectly groomed elderly Italian gentleman who sat down in the corner facing out flanked by a couple of gorillas with bulges under their arms.

wa6mhz
11-14-2012, 07:43 PM
I went to DIM SUM in San Francisco's Chinatown and it was very good. Place was packed! But I am easy to please, and I like the Chinese Buffets here in San Diego area. Lately we have gone to the NEW CENTURY Buffet where 2 of us ate for $16. Another place we have yet to try but is highly regarded is the EAST buffet. (Both in El Cajon). There are a few Sit down and order type Chinese restaurants in the city, but they are usually too Pricey to consider. No problem with the buffets.

By the way, my good wife makes the very BEST eggrolls that can be found. They are not an inch thick like some, but about the size of a rolled Taco, and deep fried. Excellent! When she makes them, I usually eat about 15 or 20 of them!

n2ize
12-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Well, I lucked out and found a good Chinese restaurant. It is a combo eat in / take out (mostly take out) but the food was slammin. Some of the best I have had in a long time. And the good part, it is not far from me.