PDA

View Full Version : Oh, okay, I lol'd a lot!

KB3LAZ
11-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Pili was saying the car insurance is too high. LOL. Full coverage for 280€ a year. That made me smile.

PA5COR
11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Hyundai Atos is 160 euro a year for me.
add 18 euro a month for road tax.
Got one with auto transmission, i become lazy in my old days... ;)

KB3LAZ
11-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Hyundai Atos is 160 euro a year for me.
add 18 euro a month for road tax.
Got one with auto transmission, i become lazy in my old days... ;)

I am used to being in the US. My insurance was about 1200$ a year. Mind you, I was under 25 at the time.

W4RLR
11-14-2012, 12:46 AM
One of the things I miss about Europe was the cheap car insurance. Being subject to the Status of Forces Agreement, I didn't have to pay the road tax and I was able to buy up to 200 liters of gasoline or diesel a month, tax free. Such privileges were the only way I could afford to live in Europe for nearly ten years.

XE1/N5AL
11-14-2012, 01:42 AM
Why is car insurance so inexpensive in Europe? Here in Mexico, I pay about the same price for auto insurance that Travis pays in Europe. But, personal liability coverage requirements, in Mexico, are much lower than in the U.S. because medical costs are lower.

PA5COR
11-14-2012, 03:14 AM
For the 180 euro's my car is insured and i have insurance for the occupants and damage to the windows repaired for free, insurance for the radio and other equipment in the car, and insurance for my no claim rebate of 75% i build up in 40 years damage free driving.
In case of an accident of total loss for the first 3 years i get back the price i paid for the car, even this second hand one.
Without the extra modules it would have been 9 euro a month, or 108 euro a year.

Since the car just weights in at 833 kilo's empty road tax is just 19 euro a month, compared to the van of 127 euro a month.
The van did 25 miles to the gallon diesel, the Atos will do 40 - 45 miles to the gallon petrol, making driving even cheaper as diesel even when diesel is cheaper as petrol.
I got new tyres and brakes and put in Philips Extreme vision H 4 lamps giving 100% more light on tthe road, Put back in the 2 KG fire extinguisher i had in the van, blanket, reflective vests, first aid kit, and some tools for repairs, though i'm member of the WW or AA road help here.

The old snowchains will not fit from the van, so i have to pick up a new seet this week.
The Atoz had 73000 Km's on the clock, or 45000 miles.
Underbody protection and waxoil treatment for all doors and hollow spaces included.
Just a few very small laquer damages from the metallic black paint, usd a clear nail laquer to protect the few places.
Put in a new battery this week, the old one was 4 years old, and knowing my luck it would have crapped out anyway in the winter, so pt in a 40 amp battery instead of the 35 standard one.

Just cleaned and waxed the car for the winter, new oil, new filters, new brake pads and disks, etc.
MOT is done till december 15 2013.
The ex wife's Atoz now clocked 180.000 km's and is still going strong, even when it is several years older.

She drove it from 50.000 km's till now and just replaced tires brakepads, oil etc, and the fan from the heater till now.
Parts are cheap, as is maintenance, thee garaage we go to is from a ham friend that passed away last year, and they do good work cheap.
Just have to get a few good speakers for in the back of the car.