PDA

View Full Version : It is official

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 05:22 AM
At 10 AM this morning I officially became a Resident of Spain. No more temporary papers. In fact no more paperwork at all! About time. Slightly under 15 months from the moment I started my paperwork back in the states. Slightly under 7 months since arriving in Spain. (No, I was never here illegally just on temporary documentation.)

One thing I can say about the Spanish bureaucracy is that it is very unorganized. Much more so than the states. It is however about the same when it comes to timelines. That said, I am glad to have this paperwork nightmare behind me. Again, having said that, would I do it again, in a heartbeat.

So what does all of this mean, logically, to anyone but me, not much. What does it mean to me? Well, again, not much. Since my temporary papers gave me the right to work and I already have a job and pay taxes this really does not give me much but peace of mind. However, what it does give me is this; I can now leave the country of Spain. Was I trapped before, yes. Its a loophole in the law. Since I was temporary it was advised that I do not visit the states as my stamp on my passport was expired (you are only allowed to stay in Europe for 90 days on a passport) and since I was in the system it was pointless to apply for paperwork to visit my home country. Besides, that paper would have taken longer to get than the 30 days I had to wait for my card. Basically the paper would have been a slip stating that though I was in Spain over my allowed limit I was doing so with the permission of the Spanish government. No longer have to worry about any of that. My Spanish residence card coupled with my passport is enough of an explanation in customs. Now, it also allows me free travel within the EU zone. IE: I can visit France, Italy, Germany, Greece, etc. Now, whereas I do not have to get my passport stamped because I am traveling as a member of the EU community it is still advised to do so, so that the US can track where I am. On top of this it is advised that I register with the US embassy for any stays in countries over 3 days. In the case that there is an emergency I can be extracted.

Anyway, life as an Expat is interesting to say the least. Very much a learning experience that I would suggest to anyone that ever has the opportunity. Not only do you learn new customs but you learn how to deal with, except, and enjoy different life styles. Also, if you do so as an immigrant rather than a visitor it gives you a whole new outlook on the immigration process.

Let us talk about the immigration process, just a little. Is it absolutely terrifying, no. It is however slightly frightening. Particularly in the case where you are moving to a country where the official language is not your native tongue. Even knowing a decent amount of said language ( in this case, Spanish) it is intimidating to deal with the bureaucrats, again to say the least. Basically, it gives you a new found respect for not only the system but the people in it. Particularly being able to relate to what they are going through.

Now, I went through the process legally however while doing so I did come in contact with numerous people that were here either illegally from the start, on an expired visa/passport, escaping persecution, etc. Their experience I would classify as terrifying. They are treated cruelly, much like cattle. What kind of life is one escaping that they are willing to take their chances with death when swimming over from Africa or other countries or facing imprisonment, deportation (which would be worse), or what not? On this subject, I could talk for hours but lets save that for another time as it would likely turn political and Id rather not go that route.

All in all I just felt like sharing this with the island community. Many of you have been there to lend me moral support through all of this. Some of you with legal advice via email or PM. Thank you all.

Everything being said: this is but the first step in our (my wife and I) journey. After being here for some time we have decided that living in the US together is something that we want to give a shot before deciding which country to make our permanent residence. Having received legal consultations on this as well as speaking with the consulates of both countries, this should not be a hard process. Specifically due to treaties between not only the US and the EU but between Spain and the US specifically. In fact, this will be much less complicated than even the same situation taking place in Canada. However, a long process. By long, I mean 9 months minimum, 12-18 months average, 2 years projected maximum but 4 years if there are complications (which there should not be).

One thing is for sure, my wife and I have a long and adventurous journey ahead of us. I look forward to sharing these experiences with all of my friends and extended family here on the island.

Again, thank you for taking the time to listen to me over the last year +.

PA5COR
11-08-2012, 06:03 AM
I'll be looking forward to the story's of you and the way you take in life, something to be learned from it, congrats on the paperwork and the status you now have.

With the changes in my life over the 60 years and my travels through Europe over time i got a much more broader view of life and understanding and respect for other cultures ad countries, becomming less judgemental and more understanding.

Again have lots of fun both of you and all the luck in your path of life where ever it will take you.
;)

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
I'll be looking forward to the story's of you and the way you take in life, something to be learned from it, congrats on the paperwork and the status you now have.

With the changes in my life over the 60 years and my travels through Europe over time i got a much more broader view of life and understanding and respect for other cultures ad countries, becomming less judgemental and more understanding.

Again have lots of fun both of you and all the luck in your path of life where ever it will take you.
;)

Thank you. And, I bet you have had a chance to learn a lot over the years. I have only been here 7 months and it seems like I have absorbed a lifetime of information. I continue to learn things daily.

N2CHX
11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Congrats! And really cool! I really wish I could travel like that.

KK4AMI
11-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Congratulations. Now comes the hard part. My brother married a Japanese woman. They chose to live in Japan. They had two kids and two careers in Japan. He taught English as a second language and she was some kind of business executive assistant. 25 years later they dumped the kids to live out their lives as Japanese citizens and the parents moved to Florida. He is teaching school over here near Port Charlotte and she is running the school cafeteria. They worked it out about where to live and where to retire. But, there were some hard times. My parents missed seeing their grand kids since they lived in Japan. One set of relatives always seems to get short changed. My brother has to work over here to collect enough money to be eligible for social security before he retires. His wife had to learn English pretty late in life (She is still having difficulties).

Just things to think about. Good Luck! Oh ya, he had to get married twice (Buddhist and Christian)! That was a hoot!

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Congratulations. Now comes the hard part. My brother married a Japanese woman. They chose to live in Japan. They had two kids and two careers in Japan. He taught English as a second language and she was some kind of business executive assistant. 25 years later they dumped the kids to live out their lives as Japanese citizens and the parents moved to Florida. He is teaching school over here near Port Charlotte and she is running the school cafeteria. They worked it out about where to live and where to retire. But, there were some hard times. My parents missed seeing their grand kids since they lived in Japan. One set of relatives always seems to get short changed. My brother has to work over here to collect enough money to be eligible for social security before he retires. His wife had to learn English pretty late in life (She is still having difficulties).

Just things to think about. Good Luck! Oh ya, he had to get married twice (Buddhist and Christian)! That was a hoot!

Thank you for the insight and we have already contemplated that. Yes, one family always gets short changed. Personally, when my grandfather passes I will lose a large chunk of what I consider family, which is him. I will have left two cousins and my parents. Pili has only her mother and her sister if you exclude the cousins she only sees on holidays. Her sister is moving to England for the long term shortly. Her mother is retired, and in a good monetary situation so visits to the states would be two or three times a year for extended periods.

Basically, we both have only a few ties.

Speaking of teaching English as a second language, that is what I do. It really is a twist. Personally, my English while spoken is often proper I do not have the most text book English when written. Fortunately I am teaching English to be spoken. I figured this would be hard but it is proving to be fun. Particularly because I am the only American at the academy. We have three Brits that teach there and it makes things interesting. For example, I do share students and they come to me and ask the difference in sayings and word usage in American and British English. Normally it is simple things...um..lets see..Boot and bonnet VS hood and trunk. Or, why do the British use "shall" often whereas Americans seem not to. Etc.

As for the marriage thing, only once. She was raised Catholic, I was raised without denomination. Neither of us practice a religion. In fact, her family is very relaxed when it comes to religion. Which made life easier.

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 07:22 AM
Congrats! And really cool! I really wish I could travel like that.

Thank you. I can tell you that it does come with its pitfalls.

Let us take Spain for example. Some things are cheaper, going out for example. Drinking is much cheaper as well and more common, particularly socially. However, everything else is more expensive. Housing is dependent on region much like in the US. However, cheaper in cheap regions is still more expensive than the US. Food costs seem lower but when taking pay into account they are not. Taxes are rather high as well (aside from income tax). IE: The bottom line is that you make less and things cost more. Different than the initial example I saw, or at least thought I saw.

Now, one thing that is very expensive here is clothing. Much of it is Italian and quite pricey. Then again, fashion is a big thing here. Now, take places like Madrid into account and everything goes up tenfold. Which I would compare to California, price wise. Or NYC.

What do people miss, or myself rather. Normally the things you never expect to miss. Shopping for food is quite the task. Preparing meals is much more cumbersome as well. Why, because unlike the states you have to make 98% of dishes from scratch. Hell, even condensed soups are hard as hell and expensive to find. A big loss, you may think not but when it comes to a lot of dishes they sure help. Now, spices and ingredients are also another issue. I figure, I cant find it prepackaged, Ill make it from scratch but wait..oh shit..they dont have 80% of what I need. Hell, just making Mac N Cheese is a hell of a feat.

However, what is the biggest thing I miss, FREE SPACE. They cities are like putting 50 rats in a shoe box.

Now, that does not mean that it is a negative experience but it sure makes more work for me, lol.

N2NH
11-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Congratulations. To me, Spain is interesting but information here on Spain seems elusive. I have learned a lot from your posts here, more than I have been able to read online or in the library. Now, do they have cheesecake?
:yes:

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 08:35 AM
Congratulations. To me, Spain is interesting but information here on Spain seems elusive. I have learned a lot from your posts here, more than I have been able to read online or in the library. Now, do they have cheesecake?

Very very very very good cheesecake! Better in the north too. They have different styles. One is your plain old cheese cake that is soft but solid with a crumbly crust. Another type is more posh. The cheese part is very smooth and almost just melts as the spoon touches it. This has a type of cookie to the side of it with fresh berries of your choice on the side and the juice drizzled all over it.

As for info on Spain, yes it is not as easy to get as info on other countries. Also, much of it is very dated and not useful at all. I am sure that you have noticed, that my posts on the country seemed to matured in a way. Like, my earlier posts were more that of a tourist with a touch of culture shock. Now, I feel as if I am growing acclimated. I guess the next step would take a great deal of time, assimilation.

Feel free to ask any questions, if I can answer them, I will. That goes for anyone. If I cant answer them, Pili should be able to inform me.

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 08:38 AM
One thing that I would like to note. Yes, states and regions in the states do differ and at times a great deal. However, different regions of Spain are really like completely different countries.

Now for the biggest differences I would split it up as follows.

Valencian, Catalan, Basque, and Spanish.

NQ6U
11-08-2012, 09:47 AM
Feel free to ask any questions, if I can answer them, I will.

Is it true that the rain there falls mainly on the plain?

KC2UGV
11-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Well, all said: Congrats Travis!

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Is it true that the rain there falls mainly on the plain?

The rain falls mainly in regions other than mine! In the mountains. You have mountains an hell. Nothing between.

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 09:55 AM
Well, all said: Congrats Travis!

Thank you.

NA4BH
11-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Congrats. You want me to put another quarter in the parking meter so your car doesn't get towed. :lol:

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Congrats. You want me to put another quarter in the parking meter so your car doesn't get towed. :lol:

Oh, sure. ;)

KG4CGC
11-08-2012, 02:10 PM

True this is. The internet acts as buffer but the evening news, OUCH! All I ever hear is what a shithole Spain is when it come to the news on TV or the local AMBCB.
Thank you for giving us a different perspective.

KB3LAZ
11-08-2012, 02:34 PM
True this is. The internet acts as buffer but the evening news, OUCH! All I ever hear is what a shithole Spain is when it come to the news on TV or the local AMBCB.
Thank you for giving us a different perspective.

As a kid (mostly my early and late teenage years) I did a lot of traveling with my parents and have seen my fair share of shit holes. There are defiantly shit holes here in Spain but there are many more stateside. Now, I suppose that makes sense due to the mass and population in comparison. However, that is the problem with the media (much of the time) they like to focus on the negative. This is more so with specific networks, but that is something that we all already know.

Spain is not a paradise or utopia but it is not a bad place either. Though, what I can say is that I feel safer walking around the cities here than I did in my home state.

The funny part is that it is normally the tourist districts that are the most rundown and dangerous. Part of the reason is that tourism is only seasonal so it looks like a broken down ghost town much of the year with everything barred up. Another issue is that a lot of the tourist districts are of Moorish design and are very old. They are no longer structurally sound. Many of said old buildings have no foundation and are basically going to cave in. Much as it pains them, the Spanish are slowly weeding these historical buildings out because the are simply not safe and go vacant. When this happens the homeless as well as some problematic "street kids" turn them in to havens. Now, young rich kids also use the buildings to drink and party in. This is obviously not unique to Spain, I have seen this happen even in my very small town back home. So, by weeding these buildings out it cleans up the image as well as adds more stability and safety. Sadly this does nothing to help the homeless that were once making homes out of these buildings. That is, however, another story.

If you take the good with the bad, it is a pretty average place to live. Quite safe in my opinion, too. The kids seem to play freely without fear. The shop keepers and neighbors keep an eye on them. Sounds more like how my grandfather used to explain things in the US before we had to worry about kids getting abducted every 3 minutes.

As for the not being paradise that I previously mentioned, my father would probably argue that point. Beach, sun, cheep drinks, etc. Lol. A matter of perspective I guess. Though, they are two very different comparisons.

All in all, Spain is old. I suppose many of the smaller areas probably could use a face lift. Which, is slowly happening.