PDA

View Full Version : Drake L7 query

AE1PT
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I have a Drake L7 on the bench that I am rehabbing for one of the locals. The time has come to rebuild the power supply, as the axials are all over the range gamut--and the bleeders have not fared much better. My recommendation to the owner is we put a Harbach PM-400 board in the remote PS. True axial caps are getting hard to source and much expensive, although I suppose I could use a computer grade screw terminal.

Anyway, due to the advancing age of these units I want to install a soft start into the mix. Harbach has a custom Drake setup (SS-400) but that does not mention the L7--just the 4 series. He also has a 'universal' board (SS-100). Which of these two would be the best bet for the L7? :chin:

N8YX
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
AFAIK the L4 and L7 supplies are the same animal, and it just so happens I have one of each downstairs. I'll be glad to take a look at them over the next day or so if you wish and point out any differences.

AE1PT
11-03-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Fred! The thing I am wondering is if there is a difference in placement. The PM-400 PS board replaces both native boards in the remote supply--and in both the 4 and 7 series iterations:

http://www.harbachelectronics.com/main/page_products_drake_l4l4bl7.html

It appears that the soft start is intended on mounting within the RF deck unit--and not the remote supply.