PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with British TV...lol

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Well, I finally found a British show that does not suck pig testicles. That does not mean that it is uber but its not too bad either.

I have been watching a Torchwood marathon. My day off work and I am slow cooking lots of foods for a family get together...so I am chained to the house. Better than watching British rip offs of law and order and such. I guess I will have to watch Dr Who now.

Not my normal type of viewing but..better than everything else on. Im more into things like Bones, Law and Order (Not the shitty UK version), Criminal minds, CSI, NCIS, In the heat of the night, NYPD Blue, Homicide Life on the street, etc...You get the point. Also, I watch things like Kitchen nightmares, Love it or list it, Home heist, etc. So, it is a good change of pace..er sort of. Lol.

I know that some of you have watched Dr Who as I have seen posts about it. Will it be worth my time to grab the collection? Also, anyone else watch or watching torchwood?

K7SGJ
11-02-2012, 11:07 AM
I liked the earlier Dr. Who series, but that's just me. Simple minds and all that

N2CHX
11-02-2012, 11:18 AM
We're all Dr. Who fans in this house. Dan is a sci-fi nut and loves Torchwood. He says it's "excellent" and says yes it's worth getting, except the last season. Apparently this last season an American production company took over production and the overall opinion by fans is that the last season sucks ass.

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 11:46 AM
We're all Dr. Who fans in this house. Dan is a sci-fi nut and loves Torchwood. He says it's "excellent" and says yes it's worth getting, except the last season. Apparently this last season an American production company took over production and the overall opinion by fans is that the last season sucks ass.

Well, sounds good. Started watching this marathon and Im hooked. I mean I have seen a few episodes here and there before but this marathon is all of season 1 and 2. Then they will play it daily (in order until it catches up), WIN! They never play a series in order these days. I think Capt. Jack is a very good main character too. There is depth there rather than just a bit of surface tension. Starts off with the normal hardass type but then the emotional side starts to show. Good evolution of a char in my opinion.

W2NAP
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM
if you have sat. you should be able to watch all the merican tv shows.. i know they do play them in the UK (i think sky shows ncis) but its a year behind. but lots less commercials.

edit

fxuk shows ncis fri 9pm

criminal minds is on sky
Season 6, Episode 7, will air at 1:50am on Tuesday 13th November
Season 6, Episode 13, will air at 12am on Friday 16th November.
Season 6, Episode 21, will air at 1am, Season 6, Episode 22, will air at 1:50am, Season 6, Episode 23 will air at 2:40am on Wednesday 21st November.
Season 6, Episode 24 will air at 2:40am on Thursday 22nd November

csi
Channel 5. It airs every Tuesday at 9pm.

WX7P
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Netflix, Travis. Netflix.

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
if you have sat. you should be able to watch all the merican tv shows.. i know they do play them in the UK (i think sky shows ncis) but its a year behind. but lots less commercials.

edit

fxuk shows ncis fri 9pm

criminal minds is on sky
Season 6, Episode 7, will air at 1:50am on Tuesday 13th November
Season 6, Episode 13, will air at 12am on Friday 16th November.
Season 6, Episode 21, will air at 1am, Season 6, Episode 22, will air at 1:50am, Season 6, Episode 23 will air at 2:40am on Wednesday 21st November.
Season 6, Episode 24 will air at 2:40am on Thursday 22nd November

csi
Channel 5. It airs every Tuesday at 9pm.

We get lots of American shows but I have seen them all 100 times over. Lol.

W2NAP
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
We get lots of American shows but I have seen them all 100 times over. Lol.

well.. but you still liek them shows lol.

EU is always behind on the us tv shows

K7SGJ
11-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Well, sounds good. Started watching this marathon and Im hooked. I mean I have seen a few episodes here and there before but this marathon is all of season 1 and 2. Then they will play it daily (in order until it catches up), WIN! They never play a series in order these days. I think Capt. Jack is a very good main character too. There is depth there rather than just a bit of surface tension. Starts off with the normal hardass type but then the emotional side starts to show. Good evolution of a char in my opinion.

Looks like the only marathon going on this side of the pond is all four Rambos, in order, continuously., over and over and over and.......

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Netflix, Travis. Netflix.

Region restricted. I have found a few sites that allow me to watch the newer episodes of my favorite shows but they are a bit choppy. Hulu is also region restricted.

Though, we have a store called FNAC and I have picked up the entire collection of the first law and order for 20€. Damn good deal. Now, newer stuff is more like 20-40€ a season but meh. Pili and I grab 5 movies a weekend for 5€ each. Normally older but they have good replay value and first time value for her. It is fun to see her laugh over movies that I have seen 100 times.

Last weekend we picked up a few. The goonies, Stand by me, the sand lot, the lost boys, and the breakfast club.

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Looks like the only marathon going on this side of the pond is all four Rambos, in order, continuously., over and over and over and.......

We get that here too. We get what I like to call mini marathons, daily. For a few weeks they played 5 episodes of Numbers back to back (decent show). They switch it up every month or two. Before that it was Bones, before that NCIS, etc.

Gonna pick up the complete set of murder she wrote. Pili likes the mystery crime novels so I think she will like it.

K7SGJ
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
We get that here too. We get what I like to call mini marathons, daily. For a few weeks they played 5 episodes of Numbers back to back (decent show). They switch it up every month or two. Before that it was Bones, before that NCIS, etc.

Gonna pick up the complete set of murder she wrote. Pili likes the mystery crime novels so I think she will like it.

Tell ya what, I'll trade you all four Rambos, for a Torchwood, and two Whos.

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Tell ya what, I'll trade you all four Rambos, for a Torchwood, and two Whos.

Lol. Was never a fan of Rambo. My dad loves the movies though.

WX7P
11-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Region restricted. I have found a few sites that allow me to watch the newer episodes of my favorite shows but they are a bit choppy. Hulu is also region restricted.

Though, we have a store called FNAC and I have picked up the entire collection of the first law and order for 20€. Damn good deal. Now, newer stuff is more like 20-40€ a season but meh. Pili and I grab 5 movies a weekend for 5€ each. Normally older but they have good replay value and first time value for her. It is fun to see her laugh over movies that I have seen 100 times.

Last weekend we picked up a few. The goonies, Stand by me, the sand lot, the lost boys, and the breakfast club.

Did you like "The Goonies"? I thought is was kinda stupid. Too many Coreys. :-D

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Did you like "The Goonies"? I thought is was kinda stupid. Too many Coreys. :-D

I like it. I like other films better but it would be in my top 100.

WX7P
11-02-2012, 03:23 PM
/
I like it. I like other films better but it would be in my top 100.

We all have our own secret pleasures. Mine are "Death to Smoochy", "Repo Man", "Vanishing Point" and "Bad Santa".

I got no standing to be critical...:mrgreen:

KB3LAZ
11-02-2012, 03:36 PM
/

We all have our own secret pleasures. Mine are "Death to Smoochy", "Repo Man", "Vanishing Point" and "Bad Santa".

I got no standing to be critical...:mrgreen:

The only one of those that I have ever seen is Bad Santa and id give it a C. I have never even heard of Repo Man so Im gonna look that one up.

WX7P
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
The only one of those that I have ever seen is Bad Santa and id give it a C. I have never even heard of Repo Man so Im gonna look that one up.

Repo Man came out in 1984 starring Emilio Estevez and Harry Dean Stanton. It's VERY LA which makes it funny. There are lots of throwaway lines in there ("Hey kid, you want to make 10 bucks?" or "Let's get sushi, and not pay"), I thought I was going to die when I saw it at the movies back then.

Same with Death to Smoochy. It's dark and cynical, but extremely funny. A lot of people didn't like it because it has evil clowns (Robin Williams). It also has Danny DeVito (who directed the movie) as a central character. The dialogue is off the scale funny. I saw this after a flea market in a theater in Pleasanton, CA with Sarah and my friend Larry after a ham radio flea market. No one else in the theater seemed to get the movie. Jon Stewart is even in it.

Vanishing Point is a kind of a car chase movie from 1971. I really like it beause of the way it was shot mostly in the Nevada desert. Cleavon Little is great in this movie as the blind clairvoyant disc jockey in Goldfield, NV, which really does exist. The movie was kind of parable for the times. I saw that one in the theater probably at least 8 times.

Bad Santa was another one where I just completely lost it throughout the whole movie. Billy Bob played such a LOSER, and did so convincingly. I'm curious why you didn't like it that much. My daughter didn't like it either, but I think it was because the movie trashes the whole Christmas concept. This was John Ritter's last movie before he died.

KC9ECI
11-02-2012, 05:27 PM
First two series of Torchwood were fantastic. 3rd season was by far the best of the three. Last season was FUBAR by Starz. We watch a lot of British TV here. Misfits is a good series if you're into the truly weird. The Inbetweeners is hilarious. Life on Mars and the spin off Ashes to Ashes, also better than average. Shameless was good for about the first 5 series and then jumped the shark. Currently watching series 10 and I'm not sure if I'll finish it. Doc Martin again, good for the first 3 series, then jumped the shark.