PDA

View Full Version : Just bought this

N2CHX
11-01-2012, 01:42 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321011997013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not sure if I got a good deal or not. I'm not really interested in it as something to play with, really. It's going to be for developing apps on something other than the Droid 1 and Droid 2 and the emulators I already have. I've been wanting to develop some things for tablets but haven't wanted to spend the money until now. I've proven to myself I can write an app that people will actually download and use, so...

Anyway, the tablet emulator is so freakin' slow it's painful. Like, practically unusable. So it's either upgrade this laptop to something a LOT faster (It's a Toshiba Satellite 2.1 gHz with 6 GB of RAM and 512 MB of video RAM so a significant upgrade would be pricey!) or simply buy a relatively inexpensive tablet to test the apps on. For about $100, I opted for the tablet. There are a lot of things you can't do with the emulator anyway.

KG4CGC
11-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Wait. What?

N2CHX
11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Wait. What?

Wait, what, what?

KG4CGC
11-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Wait, what, what?

My brain is slowing down. I'm trying to read what you're doing but it isn't getting through.
What? Tell me more about this device. Too.

NY3V
11-01-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321011997013?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Not sure if I got a good deal or not. I'm not really interested in it as something to play with, really. It's going to be for developing apps on something other than the Droid 1 and Droid 2 and the emulators I already have. I've been wanting to develop some things for tablets but haven't wanted to spend the money until now. I've proven to myself I can write an app that people will actually download and use, so...

Anyway, the tablet emulator is so freakin' slow it's painful. Like, practically unusable. So it's either upgrade this laptop to something a LOT faster (It's a Toshiba Satellite 2.1 gHz with 6 GB of RAM and 512 MB of video RAM so a significant upgrade would be pricey!) or simply buy a relatively inexpensive tablet to test the apps on. For about $100, I opted for the tablet. There are a lot of things you can't do with the emulator anyway.

Kool! You only paid $8.00 more than the lowest buyer >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PiPO-Smart-S1-7-Android-4-1-1-Dual-Core-A9-1-6GHz-Tablet-PC-1GB-RAM-8GB-FLASH-/221145789076?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item337d50f294

N2CHX
11-01-2012, 02:11 PM
My brain is slowing down. I'm trying to read what you're doing but it isn't getting through.
What? Tell me more about this device. Too.

LOL sorry. I write Android apps. I made a LOT of money writing software in the past, mostly Windows software. I gave up on commercial apps after Vista came out. Usually what I wrote stemmed from a need that some radio station or stations had. After Vista, most of my tools were useless and I wasn't about to re-learn everything and spend all the money on development tools all over again. Microsoft pissed me off enough that I just gave it up. I've written a lot of stuff using LAMP, but only a couple of things I sold for money.

Since the advent of smartphones, I've become interested in programming again. So a number of months ago I set about learning Java, which really isn't all that different from C and even PHP, really. I wrote a simple little app that I put up on Google Play a few months ago just to see how it did, and people actually use it. So now I'm getting quite serious about writing some great apps for Android. People who bought my Windows software loved it because even if there was a similar application out there, I always tried very hard to make mine better and easier to use. I even sold software to PBS and a few universities. One of the PHP-based systems specifically written for a top-rated news outlet I wrote more recently, I was told it was absolutely the best system that he had ever used, by one very seasoned news guy. That's another project I'm actually working on porting over to market to other stations as well.

Anyway, what I bought was an Android based tablet PC. With the development platform I use for Android, my choices are to use one of the two actual Droid phones I have that do not have service activated on them presently (both have issues and were replaced but they're good for connecting via USB and testing software on) or use a software emulator. The Droid screen is way too small for a couple of the newer apps I want to work on and the emulator is just so damn slow I can't work with it. So I bought the tablet to test software on.

NY3V
11-01-2012, 02:44 PM
LOL sorry. I write Android apps. I made a LOT of money writing software in the past, mostly Windows software. I gave up on commercial apps after Vista came out. Usually what I wrote stemmed from a need that some radio station or stations had. After Vista, most of my tools were useless and I wasn't about to re-learn everything and spend all the money on development tools all over again. Microsoft pissed me off enough that I just gave it up. I've written a lot of stuff using LAMP, but only a couple of things I sold for money.

Since the advent of smartphones, I've become interested in programming again. So a number of months ago I set about learning Java, which really isn't all that different from C and even PHP, really. I wrote a simple little app that I put up on Google Play a few months ago just to see how it did, and people actually use it. So now I'm getting quite serious about writing some great apps for Android. People who bought my Windows software loved it because even if there was a similar application out there, I always tried very hard to make mine better and easier to use. I even sold software to PBS and a few universities. One of the PHP-based systems specifically written for a top-rated news outlet I wrote more recently, I was told it was absolutely the best system that he had ever used, by one very seasoned news guy. That's another project I'm actually working on porting over to market to other stations as well.

Anyway, what I bought was an Android based tablet PC. With the development platform I use for Android, my choices are to use one of the two actual Droid phones I have that do not have service activated on them presently (both have issues and were replaced but they're good for connecting via USB and testing software on) or use a software emulator. The Droid screen is way too small for a couple of the newer apps I want to work on and the emulator is just so damn slow I can't work with it. So I bought the tablet to test software on.

Congratulations Kelli!

You just won the island award.

How to Write Killer Apps for Dummies :lol:

N2CHX
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Congratulations Kelli!

You just won the island award.

How to Write Killer Apps for Dummies :lol:

LOL! OK

N2CHX
11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Well, I just got the new tablet. It's cute. Light, fast, and seems to work well. Problem is, it's so new, there are no drivers for Linux yet. So trying to use it for testing apps is going to be tedious until a driver is created. >sigh< Always something.

n2ize
11-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Well, I just got the new tablet. It's cute. Light, fast, and seems to work well. Problem is, it's so new, there are no drivers for Linux yet. So trying to use it for testing apps is going to be tedious until a driver is created. >sigh< Always something.
A few years ago I was getting into Assembly programming on various architectures as well as hacking and creating Linux drivers. A few times I modified driver source code to woork with other devices. Wish i could help here but haven't done it in a long time and my skills are rusty. Just another thing to brush up on but not enough hours in the days.. :-D

KC9ECI
11-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Great review!

http://youtu.be/Q9jd_pNNSsU

Kelli, do you think it would make a good tablet for an 11 year old? We got one for the youngest last year and she had it for a short while when it met with a tragic end. She got a 2nd one when she had saved enough money to buy her own, but the earnings capacity of a 10 year old meant she got a cheap one that won't even play angry birds. I was...I mean Santa was thinking of getting her something better for Christmas.

N2CHX
11-07-2012, 11:07 PM
Kelli, do you think it would make a good tablet for an 11 year old? We got one for the youngest last year and she had it for a short while when it met with a tragic end. She got a 2nd one when she had saved enough money to buy her own, but the earnings capacity of a 10 year old meant she got a cheap one that won't even play angry birds. I was...I mean Santa was thinking of getting her something better for Christmas.

It's a nice little tablet. Definitely has some decent CPU and graphics power and the touch screen works even better than I expected. The only thing I would worry about with an 11 year old (BTW, my youngest just turned 11 today!) would be the power plug. All the connectors, in fact. These teeny tiny connectors aren't exactly robust. If she's the careful type it probably won't be an issue. I wouldn't recommend using it while it's plugged in to the power adapter. Other than that, it's a nifty little device.

KC9ECI
11-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I've noticed that the power plug on the Cruz she has now isn't the sturdiest thing. She's generally pretty careful with her things in that respect, so I may give it a shot. I'm also looking at this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Power-T-708-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Multi-Touch-screen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System/20927074

N2CHX
11-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I've noticed that the power plug on the Cruz she has now isn't the sturdiest thing. She's generally pretty careful with her things in that respect, so I may give it a shot. I'm also looking at this one http://www.walmart.com/ip/Double-Power-T-708-with-WiFi-7-Capacitive-Multi-Touch-screen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Android-4.0-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-Operating-System/20927074

Looks very similar. The PiPo has 1 GB of RAM, a faster processor and faster GPU, as well as 8 GB of onboard memory as opposed to 4. Given a choice between the two, I'd go with the PiPo, personally. Another factor in it for me is that they tried to make the WM unit look like an iPad, which almost always means it's not going to be very rugged. One thing about the PiPo, it's got rounded edges and is a solid little brick. I wouldn't want to drop it from too high, but then, I wouldn't want to drop any tablet from too high.

KC9ECI
11-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Just pulled the trigger and ordered this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281015691224 could have gotten it for a bit less, but I liked the accessories that come with it. I'll keep this one for myself and if I like it, I'll have to order two more for Christmas.

N2CHX
11-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Just pulled the trigger and ordered this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281015691224 could have gotten it for a bit less, but I liked the accessories that come with it. I'll keep this one for myself and if I like it, I'll have to order two more for Christmas.

Nice. That's exactly what I got, except mine doesn't have a mouse. In fact, that same exact seller was selling a similar tablet I asked a question about but ultimately I bought a different one. I think you'll like it. Just a warning though, all the instructions are in Chinese. I don't think there are any tablets actually made in America :-(

KC9ECI
11-13-2012, 08:34 PM
Got one of these in the mail today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261124347747

Hooked it up to the TV and played with it for a bit. I like it as a media center, but not too impressed with Youtube telling me I can't watch a video on my mobile device. The kid is happily using it to play Angry Birds Star Wars edition as I post this.

N2CHX
11-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Got one of these in the mail today: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261124347747

Hooked it up to the TV and played with it for a bit. I like it as a media center, but not too impressed with Youtube telling me I can't watch a video on my mobile device. The kid is happily using it to play Angry Birds Star Wars edition as I post this.

Cool :) but I can understand why you couldn't watch videos on a memory stick :-p

KC9ECI
11-14-2012, 07:35 PM
The Pipo arrived today. Nifty little tablet. The wife is already trying to liberate it for her trip back home next week.

KC2UGV
11-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm going the other way, and maybe buying one of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rikomagic-Google-Android-MK802-II-Mini-Tablet-PC-2-4GHz-Air-Wireless-Fly-Mouse-B-/121019987302?pt=Keyboard_Mice_Bundles&hash=item1c2d5a7566

KC9ECI
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Look up a few posts....I got one of those a couple days ago. Hooked up to the TV and the kid is playing Angry Birds Star Wars. Doesn't support the Netflix app, but the Pipo does and brilliantly. One more is inbound, http://www.ebay.com/itm/281016114278 Also got http://www.ebay.com/itm/350576654251 coming to use with them.

KC2UGV
11-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Look up a few posts....I got one of those a couple days ago. Hooked up to the TV and the kid is playing Angry Birds Star Wars. Doesn't support the Netflix app, but the Pipo does and brilliantly. One more is inbound, http://www.ebay.com/itm/281016114278 Also got http://www.ebay.com/itm/350576654251 coming to use with them.

Crap. I think your post is what even prompted me to research them :L

KC9ECI
11-14-2012, 09:10 PM
It's good to know that I can still be a bad influence.

N2CHX
11-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Just saw a commercial today that frickin' Big Lots is selling tablets for $80. Not sure of the specs. I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and am gonna take a look while I'm out just to see.

kf0rt
11-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I bought an actual book this week. Should be here next week.

KC9ECI
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
Nearest Big Lots to me is either Rochester, MN or Eau Claire, both over an hour away.

N2NH
11-15-2012, 06:04 AM
Interesting. The new wave is supposed to be tablet PCs. Got a Nook Tablet last May and it runs Android, but a proprietary version. Great for books, runs Angry Birds, Internet and YouTube. 7" screen, 16GB + 32GB memory card, Dual Core Intel and WiFi but no 3G/4G. Not bad but you have to live in the US and have a credit/debit card. Even for free books and apps.

They just came out with a new line of e-readers with HD. The Tablet is XD and better than a lot of PCs when it comes to resolution. Next time I'll probably go mainstream with an Archos as both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes and Noble Nook are making it harder to use Android apps. As far as Apple, after the iTouch debacle here, I'll never buy another Apple product.

NQ6U
11-15-2012, 10:01 AM

I remember those. Vaguely.

N2CHX
11-15-2012, 10:18 AM

I read those once in a while. Reminds me.... I still have a B&N gift card I need to spend.

N2CHX
11-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Nearest Big Lots to me is either Rochester, MN or Eau Claire, both over an hour away.

I have one right here in town, same plaza as our biggest grocery store.

N2CHX
11-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Interesting. The new wave is supposed to be tablet PCs. Got a Nook Tablet last May and it runs Android, but a proprietary version. Great for books, runs Angry Birds, Internet and YouTube. 7" screen, 16GB + 32GB memory card, Dual Core Intel and WiFi but no 3G/4G. Not bad but you have to live in the US and have a credit/debit card. Even for free books and apps.

They just came out with a new line of e-readers with HD. The Tablet is XD and better than a lot of PCs when it comes to resolution. Next time I'll probably go mainstream with an Archos as both the Amazon Kindle and Barnes and Noble Nook are making it harder to use Android apps. As far as Apple, after the iTouch debacle here, I'll never buy another Apple product.

I just won't do Apple. I won't do Nook or Kindle either. I hate proprietary stuff. I definitely don't understand what it is people see in Apple products, other than being under some kind of weird Steve Jobs voodoo spell. Right now I have this huge problem to solve, and that is, making the iPhone play well with a Shoutcast audio stream -- something all PC's running Windows and Linux do perfectly well, as do Android phones. But the iPhone.... Ugh! What a pain in the ass. Clunky, shitty software. What people see in it... :dunno: Like I said, must be Steve Jobs voodoo.

KC2UGV
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
I just won't do Apple. I won't do Nook or Kindle either. I hate proprietary stuff. I definitely don't understand what it is people see in Apple products, other than being under some kind of weird Steve Jobs voodoo spell. Right now I have this huge problem to solve, and that is, making the iPhone play well with a Shoutcast audio stream -- something all PC's running Windows and Linux do perfectly well, as do Android phones. But the iPhone.... Ugh! What a pain in the ass. Clunky, shitty software. What people see in it... Like I said, must be Steve Jobs voodoo.

Nook Colors are very easily hackable (Insert SD card to boot from it); so I give them a pass on the proprietary OS.

N2CHX
11-15-2012, 10:38 AM
Nook Colors are very easily hackable (Insert SD card to boot from it); so I give them a pass on the proprietary OS.

Yeah but you still pay for the Nook name. Why pay $200 when you can get something you don't have to hack for half that price? It's not like Nook is made here in America. If it was, I'd buy it for that reason alone, but it's not. Plus, you risk hosing the flash rom and turning it into a brick. If I want to have fun hacking just to hack I'll buy the $90 PiPo.

KC2UGV
11-15-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah but you still pay for the Nook name. Why pay $200 when you can get something you don't have to hack for half that price? It's not like Nook is made here in America. If it was, I'd buy it for that reason alone, but it's not. Plus, you risk hosing the flash rom and turning it into a brick. If I want to have fun hacking just to hack I'll buy the $90 PiPo.

Well, currently, you can't beat the screen quality the Nook Color's have with the less expensive Nooks. In fact, you're not paying for the Nook name, NC's are sold as a loss-leader. They know they'll make it up in book sales.

And, it's impossible to hose the ROM of a NC, because you can just boot a stock recovery from the SD Card.

But, just for app dev work? Sure, I'd go with the cheaper devices, since you don't generally worry about a great screen with your dev box.

N2CHX
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Well, currently, you can't beat the screen quality the Nook Color's have with the less expensive Nooks. In fact, you're not paying for the Nook name, NC's are sold as a loss-leader. They know they'll make it up in book sales.

I've not seen one up close and personal, so I'll take your word on that.

And, it's impossible to hose the ROM of a NC, because you can just boot a stock recovery from the SD Card.

Are you sure about that? You can boot many tabs from the SD card but if you hose the rom, it won't even POST so there is no way to boot even from the SD after that.

But, just for app dev work? Sure, I'd go with the cheaper devices, since you don't generally worry about a great screen with your dev box.

Actually, I think you'd be surprised at the quality of something like the PiPo. It has a quad GPU and the viewing quality is stellar. Even the touch screen works fabulously.

KC2UGV
11-15-2012, 11:32 AM
I've not seen one up close and personal, so I'll take your word on that.

Are you sure about that? You can boot many tabs from the SD card but if you hose the rom, it won't even POST so there is no way to boot even from the SD after that.

Yes. The NC has the SD card as the "fault recovery". Even if the internal memory is defective, it will boot from SD.

Actually, I think you'd be surprised at the quality of something like the PiPo. It has a quad GPU and the viewing quality is stellar. Even the touch screen works fabulously.

Probably. I was specifically talking to the resolution and viewing angle of the NC screen (It's touch screen is horrible, though, but ample as a reader).

KC9ECI
11-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Just ordered another one of those Pipo tablets. The wife liberated it from me yesterday. Decided that she wanted to take that on her trip back home rather than the laptop. I know how this works and understand that she isn't going to give it back so I just ordered one for myself now. I already had it set up for my email, etc, so I did a reset. WARNING, when you reset back to factory defaults, everything is in Chinese when you start it again. Good thing I had another android system here to compare and locate the language menus.