PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY HALLOWEEN

K7SGJ
10-31-2012, 03:26 PM
Happy Halloween Islanders. Anyone going out in costume tonight?

Since I've been in a kitchen remodeling mode for so long, I thought I'd go as a cabinet. I had this great idea for the drawer pull.

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 03:50 PM
We get swamped at Halloween, we have 500+ kids come through our part of the neighborhood. Some houses get 1000+. We don't decorate, but we give the best candy. Kid rated number one, five years running.

http://thecandychef.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Sour-Punch-Straws.jpg

K7SGJ
10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
It's kinda sad, but we've been out in this rural area for about 20 years, and have never had a single trick or treater. When we lived in town, we'd get them by the hundred lot. I miss seeing some of the creative costumes, and the real little kids that haven't got a clue, other than CANDY!

What is really sad is how parents have to go with these days in order to insure the safety of the kids. What a sick world this has become. When I was a kid, people would have you come into their houses and give you candy apples, caramel apples, loose candy, and all kinds of stuff that you would have to shitcan these days. It seems like more and more, parents are just having a party for the kids. I guess it's a lot safer, but not near as much fun. Never did get the hang of soaping windows from the inside.

N2NH
10-31-2012, 04:35 PM
Happy Halloween back atcha.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/270547_496117337088162_1647009581_n.jpg

N2CHX
10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm at home with the candy dish and the creepy music. My girls are going out with their three best friends for the first time this year with no parent to chaperon, although they do have a walkie-talkie and a cell phone just in case. Dan is taking my son to his friend's house in another neighborhood so they can go together. He's 15 but he always makes an epic homemade costume that he works hard for weeks on and puts his own money into, so how can I argue?

My youngest is a tree, my middle child is Amy Pond and my son is this creepy thing from Silent Hill:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mch5aiisHC1rji9oco1_1280.jpg

KB3LAZ
10-31-2012, 05:38 PM
Happy Halloween Islanders. Anyone going out in costume tonight?

Since I've been in a kitchen remodeling mode for so long, I thought I'd go as a cabinet. I had this great idea for the drawer pull.

There is a hooker on the corner dressed like the wicked witch of the west. I asked my wife to turn around so I could take a picture to post on the island but she just rolled her eyes at me.

On another note, Im tired. I setup a crime scene CSI type thing for my students today. They loved it but it sure wore me out(that was with the college aged classes). However, I have two classes of 4-6 year old children and we did games and puzzles, that actually wore me out the most. I had two groups of 50 children today. Oye! Too many kids in a class. Lol, only one day, only one day.

So, how was everyone's "holiday"?

KB3LAZ
10-31-2012, 05:40 PM
It's kinda sad, but we've been out in this rural area for about 20 years, and have never had a single trick or treater. When we lived in town, we'd get them by the hundred lot. I miss seeing some of the creative costumes, and the real little kids that haven't got a clue, other than CANDY!

What is really sad is how parents have to go with these days in order to insure the safety of the kids. What a sick world this has become. When I was a kid, people would have you come into their houses and give you candy apples, caramel apples, loose candy, and all kinds of stuff that you would have to shitcan these days. It seems like more and more, parents are just having a party for the kids. I guess it's a lot safer, but not near as much fun. Never did get the hang of soaping windows from the inside.

That problem does not seem to exist here. I have students that walk to class by themselves that are 4 years old. It kind of scares me but I guess that is because of my mind set in the US. Seems to be no big deal here.

w0aew
10-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I don't remember adults participating much in halloween (other than doling out candy). They might dress up as something scary when greeting the tykes at the door. Did adults back then go to parties and wear costumes without their kids in tow?

N2NH
10-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I don't remember adults participating much in halloween (other than doling out candy). They might dress up as something scary when greeting the tykes at the door. Did adults back then go to parties and wear costumes without their kids in tow?

Kids pretty much went door to door with their parents in the apartment buildings where I lived. In Brooklyn, the tradition was to go to stores with your parents and get the booty from them. The stores always had some great stuff, but rarely did anyone go apartment to apartment there. They had the Ragamuffin Parade one weekend in October there. Kids would be in costume on 3rd Ave. and the parade would go about 1½ miles down the street. There would be bands from the local school, something from the Ft Hamilton Army Base like a half-track and the kids of course. The next day was the festival and bands would come from around the Northeast to perform. Radio stations, stores and companies trying out new products would also be there as well as games of chance, wheel of fortune and food vendors.

As far as adults, I can remember my parents saying that Halloween was for adults, but by the late 50s-early 60s I started seeing costume parties for adults. This didn't really catch on in a big way here until the early 80s. Probably started out on college campuses.

KC2UGV
10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Happy Sahmein/Halloween all!

Didn't do costume this year to go out with the kiddos. But, interestingly enough, in my new neighborhood, last night was the big door to door night; so we went to another neighborhood.

W3WN
10-31-2012, 06:57 PM
We're staying in and watching The Great Pumpkin at 8.

Not to be dull or spoilsports. Because of all the rain & the doom-and-gloom forecasts, almost every community in the Pittsburgh area rescheduled trick-or-treat for Saturday.

Castle Shannon will be running it 3 to 5. Mt. Lebanon (next door) and most communities are 6 to 8. Little Miss Field Day is considering a "double dip" -- work the neighborhood, take a break, head next door.

We usually get about 20 - 25 kids. At the old house, we lived on a dead-end that had mainly adults, so we'd be lucky to get more than 3 or 4. So it goes.

I remember getting dressed up after school, and wandering the neighborhoods from around 5 until late -- like 10ish. Not today, it's all tightly regimented. Sucks all of the fun out it, IMHO.

KG4CGC
10-31-2012, 08:11 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/dd8d2d56.gif

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/bushdrag.jpg

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 08:22 PM
Trick or Treat

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 08:34 PM
We planned for around 500 and missed the mark. We had to shut down early. We heard comments like "I told you about this place", "Sour Straws, you are the best", "OMG Sour Straws". Although, we did miss the kid that always asks for candy for his sick brother. He musta finally got well. LOL

w0aew
10-31-2012, 09:02 PM
We planned for around 500 and missed the mark. We had to shut down early. We heard comments like "I told you about this place", "Sour Straws, you are the best", "OMG Sour Straws". Although, we did miss the kid that always asks for candy for his sick brother. He musta finally got well. LOL

Can you give me something extra for my dumb brother? He's sitting in a pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin.

NQ6U
10-31-2012, 09:04 PM

As we say here in SOUTHERN California: Happy Halloween, all y'all.

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 09:07 PM

As we say here in SOUTHERN California: Happy Halloween, all y'all.

You need to work on that. That will get your ass whupped around here. Fscking foreigners.

KB3LAZ
10-31-2012, 09:08 PM

Not always a trick. One year as a kid I had the chickenpox and a fever so my mom would not let me out of the car. My cousin had to ask for candy for me. I got more than she did but I shared. Truth is, I didnt like to trick or treat anyway and I am not a big fan of candy. My mom sends me candy for easter and such and it lasts about a year.

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 09:21 PM
Not always a trick. One year as a kid I had the chickenpox and a fever so my mom would not let me out of the car. My cousin had to ask for candy for me. I got more than she did but I shared. Truth is, I didnt like to trick or treat anyway and I am not a big fan of candy. My mom sends me candy for easter and such and it lasts about a year.

When it happens every year, it's not a trick. Now their mothers are dressing up to get candy.

You missed out on a gold mine with the chicken pops. When they ask you what you are, you should have told them you were syphilis, they would have dropped the candy bowl and ran. Bunch of candy for the taking.

To the shanker go the spoils.

KG4CGC
10-31-2012, 09:55 PM
'Halloween is a day when we all get to fool people into thinking we're someone else. Or as Mitt Romney would call it, 'campaigning'..."
- Bill Maher

VE7DCW
10-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Well .....we've had about 70 kids come a'knockin on the door tonight...... for the time being we're still allowed fireworks to be shot off on Halloween.....but the they're trying to ban them outright through bylaws...... and the weather is holding up for the kids round here .....warmest Halloween we've seen in many moons though!

Happy Halloween everyone!!! :twisted:

NA4BH
10-31-2012, 10:15 PM
Well .....we've had about 70 kids come a'knockin on the door tonight...... for the time being we're still allowed fireworks to be shot off on Halloween.....but the they're trying to ban them outright through bylaws...... and the weather is holding up for the kids round here .....warmest Halloween we've seen in many moons though!

Happy Halloween everyone!!! :twisted:

I hope you blew a couple of them up. Real good.

http://images114.fotki.com/v74/photos/2/251696/5586350/SCTV0858-vi.jpg

VE7DCW
10-31-2012, 11:15 PM
I hope you blew a couple of them up. Real good.

http://images114.fotki.com/v74/photos/2/251696/5586350/SCTV0858-vi.jpg

On a good Halloween night it sounds like a typical saturday night in beautiful downtown Kandahar !! :snicker:

KG4CGC
11-01-2012, 01:39 AM
we had
kid
that
kid got a bunch of candy ... JACKPOT!

Better than the last couple of years.

W3WN
11-01-2012, 09:52 AM
When we first moved into the current QTH, I was ordered asked by the boss to walk the neighborhood with Little Miss Field Day. Some houses I'd get a candy bar for my troubles. A few of them had some eye candy as well... ahem. Two or three ladies in their late 30's or early 40's would often make comments that under other circumstances... but I am going to assume that they were more "in character". (Although one of them, who has since moved, made it clear after the first year that the offer was bona fide. I guess I should feel flattered, but I'm not that kind of guy -- and I'm not that easy)

However, one neighbor up the street had a much better idea. Any adult male who walked past his house, who was on the same task as I was, got a cold can of beer. Well, Coors Light, which is close enough I guess.

Meanwhile,
word from the strange world of the DC Beltway is that Buzz Lightyear made out like a bandit in his first time around at their new house.

NA4BH
11-01-2012, 10:22 AM
^^^^^ Nice costume

The kids really went out on their costumes this year. We had one that used a sun visor, a pillow, and an old sport coat to become Donald Duck. He did an excellent job.

XE1/N5AL
11-01-2012, 02:55 PM
I'm currently in Puerto Vallarta while the wife visits some family up in Culiacan, Sinaloa. Yesterday evening, I bought 40 lbs. of candy and hung out at a local "open-air" restaurant/bar that is by the bay. The area is usually frequented by lots of foreign tourists, who also bring candy. Just before dark, local kids began arriving in droves; passing from restaurant to restaurant. In Mexico, the kids don't say "Trick or Treat". Instead, they will chant, "Queremos Halloween!" (literally: "we want Halloween").

Most of the kids are relatively poor (i.e., upper lower-class, if that makes sense), but they did a nice job of dressing up in costume and many even said "Thank You", in English, after receiving their goodies. All in all, it was lots of fun. I managed to give away every single piece of candy from my stash. As a bonus, I also bumped into some friends from California and Texas, whom I hadn't seen in years.

K7SGJ
11-01-2012, 03:12 PM
When we first moved into the current QTH, I was ordered asked by the boss to walk the neighborhood with Little Miss Field Day. Some houses I'd get a candy bar for my troubles. A few of them had some eye candy as well... ahem. Two or three ladies in their late 30's or early 40's would often make comments that under other circumstances... but I am going to assume that they were more "in character". (Although one of them, who has since moved, made it clear after the first year that the offer was bona fide. I guess I should feel flattered, but I'm not that kind of guy -- and I'm not that easy)

However, one neighbor up the street had a much better idea. Any adult male who walked past his house, who was on the same task as I was, got a cold can of beer. Well, Coors Light, which is close enough I guess.

Meanwhile,
word from the strange world of the DC Beltway is that Buzz Lightyear made out like a bandit in his first time around at their new house.

Cute outfit. With a little modification, he can go out next year as the little Android Icon.

W3WN
11-01-2012, 07:24 PM
He is quite proud of himself. He got on the phone tonight with the boss, and got to tell Grandma all about it -- all the candy, the other costumes, the candy, the other kids, the candy, and most importantly, the candy.