PDA

View Full Version : 7.7 quake in BC Canada

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 01:34 AM
whats the word on this DCW? did you feel it?

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 02:32 AM
A 7.7?? Yeah, he felt it! That's a large one.

VE7DCW
10-28-2012, 02:35 AM
The earthquake was centered under Sandspit Hadai Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) .....it was 7.7 on the scale but interestingly it was a very local subduction quake for that area .....I did'nt feel a thing here on Vancouver Island!!! It was followed by a 5.8 magnitude aftershock about an hour later, but a Tsunami warning was issued for my area .....so far all is quiet. .... it's warning us basically that the a big one (9.0 + maybe) can be expected any time sooner or later

I've been in a magnitude 7.0 quake before........ anyone who's been through one will tell you they hope to never experience another one again!!!!

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 02:48 AM
not sure why but have the feeling the next big one on the west coast will be anywhere from the the SF to SD area in cali

N8YX
10-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Was it triggered by the toob with handols falling off its table and hitting the ground?

KC2UGV
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
We just had a measly 2.5 here.

n2ize
10-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Gee. Earthquakes up north. Hurricanes and severe tropical rainstorms to the south. Pat Robertson must have something to say about all this...

N2CHX
10-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Gee. Earthquakes up north. Hurricanes and severe tropical rainstorms to the south. Pat Robertson must have something to say about all this...

Canada's been turning all conservative since Harper took office. What could gawd possibly have against Canada?

n2ize
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Canada's been turning all conservative since Harper took office. What could gawd possibly have against Canada?

Hmmmm... Knowing Robertson it will be because they are still too liberal. Or that they are not tough enough against gays. Stupid crap that people like Robertson use to control their minions.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Probably the added weight of Kevin's 18 wheeler cracked something.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I've been in a magnitude 7.0 quake before........ anyone who's been through one will tell you they hope to never experience another one again!!!!

Yep, was in the Bay Area for the Loma Prieta quake in 1989. It was "only" 6.9, but that was close enough to 7.0 for my comfort.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 12:52 PM
not sure why but have the feeling the next big one on the west coast will be anywhere from the the SF to SD area in cali

Not likely to have a really big one in San Diego. We're well west the San Andreas fault, which run along the eastern edge of the Salton Sea in the Imperial Valley. We do have the Rose Canyon fault to be worried about but any quake generated by seismic activity along that fault will probably be in the 5-6 range.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 01:11 PM
Not likely to have a really big one in San Diego. We're well west the San Andreas fault, which run along the eastern edge of the Salton Sea in the Imperial Valley. We do have the Rose Canyon fault to be worried about but any quake generated by seismic activity along that fault will probably be in the 5-6 range.

And don't forget about the asphalt, it runs everywhere in CA.

NQ6U
10-28-2012, 01:15 PM
And don't forget about the asphalt, it runs everywhere in CA.

Been to Phoenix lately? It's larger than San Diego now and pretty much indistinguishable from southern California except that there's no Pacific Ocean nearby and everybody's packing heat.

N2NH
10-28-2012, 01:19 PM
That's quite a quake. here's the USGS page on it. (http://www.usgs.gov/blogs/features/usgs_top_story/magnitude-7-7-earthquake-in-canada/?from=image)

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Been to Phoenix lately? It's larger than San Diego now and pretty much indistinguishable from southern California except that everybody's packing heat.

Yep, they FU the freeways here to practice for their anal trips to your side of the divide so they can adequately FU yours, as well. Of course, now we have the snow birds flocking in, too. They can only go out sightseeing during rush hour, and only do 40 on the freeway. And, when they all finish their migration here, our DOT will begin all of the roadwork they have put off till now, which includes shutting down freeway lanes, closing exits, and all the other silly shit they do.

Wouldn't hurt my feelings if everyone went back to horses. At least that kind of horseshit can be dealt with quite easily.

VE7DCW
10-28-2012, 01:50 PM
Been to Phoenix lately? It's larger than San Diego now and pretty much indistinguishable from southern California except that there's no Pacific Ocean nearby and everybody's packing heat.

People are actually carrying around blowdryers?? :lol:

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 05:01 PM
People are actually carrying around blowdryers?? :lol:

shouldnt need one in phoenix.. i mean shit it gets up to what like 110 in the summer :P

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 05:12 PM
shouldnt need one in phoenix.. i mean shit it gets up to what like 110 in the summer :P

A little bit higher, but that's only in the shade.

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 05:25 PM
i enjoyed it out west in that area.. sure the temps were up. but the air was dry.

better then this 90+ high humidity shit we got to deal with.

K7SGJ
10-28-2012, 05:30 PM
i enjoyed it out west in that area.. sure the temps were up. but the air was dry.

better then this 90+ high humidity shit we got to deal with.

Yeah, out here at least it's a dry hotter than a mutterfucker.

W2NAP
10-28-2012, 08:50 PM
Yeah, out here at least it's a dry hotter than a mutterfucker.

i handle it alot better. is rather have 110 no humidity vs 85 high humidity..

K7SGJ
10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
Me too. When we visit our daughter in Austin, I'm amazed when I step off the plane, or open the door on the truck when we get there. 90 and 90, I couldn't live like that, plus I hate skeeters. The bastids

W2NAP
10-29-2012, 01:52 PM
Me too. When we visit our daughter in Austin, I'm amazed when I step off the plane, or open the door on the truck when we get there. 90 and 90, I couldn't live like that, plus I hate skeeters. The bastids

oh yea.. skeeters are bad very very bad