PDA

View Full Version : FDA: Monster Energy Drink Cited in Death Reports.

N2NH
10-25-2012, 04:21 PM
So, if you use these you might want to rethink that.

Monster Beverage Corp. (MNST (http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/snapshot/snapshot.asp?ticker=MNST:US))’s energy drinks have been cited in the deaths of five people in the past year, according to incident reports that doctors and companies submit to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

The reports said the victims consumed Monster drinks prior to their deaths, Shelly Burgess, an FDA spokeswoman, said today in a phone interview. The FDA said the incidents, which are voluntarily reported, are considered to be allegations, and no conclusion is drawn until an investigation is completed. Shares of Corona, California-based Monster fell the most since 2008.

The FDA reports are being used by parents in Maryland who sued Monster last week, claiming the drinks led to caffeine toxicity that killed their 14-year-old daughter. Senator Dick Durbin, an Illinois Democrat, is asking the FDA to consider caffeine limits on energy drinks after emergency room visits involving such products jumped 10-fold from 2005 through 2009.

Monster Energy Drinks implicated by reports to the FDA in deaths. (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-10-22/monster-energy-drinks-cited-in-death-reports-fda-says)

KG4CGC
10-25-2012, 04:39 PM
But if it's a legitimate caffeine toxicity, the body has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

NY3V
10-25-2012, 05:07 PM
But if it's a legitimate caffeine toxicity, the body has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

Yeah, you pass it by giving birth to a Tea Party addict.

n2ize
10-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Caffeine can be some nasty shit. I remember downing quite a few NO-DOZ and ending up unable to sleep for 2 days and experiencing anxiety attacks. When it finally wore off I was dead tired and I slept well. But it can be nasty stuff. After that I decided "never again". A cup of coffee is enough.

KC2UGV
10-25-2012, 06:52 PM
And thousands die annually from alcohol...

n2ize
10-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Very true also. Alcohol has killed far more than heroin. And yet Mary-Jane has killed nobody. Yet our past, present and future administrations consider it out deadliest and most dangerous narcotic.

W8XLR
10-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Very true also. Alcohol has killed far more than heroin. And yet Mary-Jane has killed nobody. Yet our past, present and future administrations consider it out deadliest and most dangerous narcotic.

This is one point we agree on... Alcohol poisoning claimed my first XYL. She went on a bender and dident make it back...

n2ize
10-25-2012, 08:24 PM
This is one point we agree on... Alcohol poisoning claimed my first XYL. She went on a bender and dident make it back...

Sorry to hear this sad news. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there. And its legal. I know former hard core heroin addicts who are still alive, clean and functioning today. I wish i could say the same for some of the hard core alcoholics I have known.

W8XLR
10-25-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry to hear this sad news. Alcohol is one of the worst drugs out there. And its legal. I know former hard core heroin addicts who are still alive, clean and functioning today. I wish i could say the same for some of the hard core alcoholics I have known.

Agreed.... I have no problem with people who drink, I do... Nothing wrong with a few beers after work, or a stiff one for watching MSNBC :snicker:... nor do I care if people smoke weed (dont like the effect personally), as long as its not on my jobsite (insurance/liability considerations). The keyword here is:

Wait for it....

MODERATION :peace:

W2NAP
10-25-2012, 09:45 PM

and dont forget thousands die every year from car accidents..

NQ6U
10-25-2012, 11:54 PM

And amateur radio contests. Thousands of hams are killed every year by contesters. Just ask Burt.

VE7DCW
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
And amateur radio contests. Thousands of hams are killed every year by contesters. Just ask Burt.

The Pope is correct ........ Burt is definately the go to guy to get the straight and narrow on on those demon contests!!! :yes:

W8XLR
10-26-2012, 12:40 AM

If were going there, than nets, specificaly, The Marconi net must be included. Plenty of blood and carnage nightly there...

N7YA
10-26-2012, 03:39 AM
This is a scam! They are just trying to control us and tell us what to do. These energy drinks are perfectly fine and safe to drink all day long, just ask Danny Gans, he downs them all day and hes in great shape....oh, wait, not him, hes dead. Ok, then ask my wifes boss, he drinks them all day long...no, hold on a sec, he has just been told he has stomach cancer. Ok, then ask her other boss, he doesnt need to eat, he just drinks Red Bull and....oh, actually, he has huge ulcers and intestinal damage now.

So what! Aside from them...and that dead girl...and a host of other people who have issues from drinking it...its perfectly fine!

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 05:23 AM
Yes, my cousin went to the Dr because he was having panic attacks. The Dr told him, that ofc he was having panic attacks after learning that my cousin was drinking 10 of these a day! All things in moderation!

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 05:24 AM
This is a scam! They are just trying to control us and tell us what to do. These energy drinks are perfectly fine and safe to drink all day long, just ask Danny Gans, he downs them all day and hes in great shape....oh, wait, not him, hes dead. Ok, then ask my wifes boss, he drinks them all day long...no, hold on a sec, he has just been told he has stomach cancer. Ok, then ask her other boss, he doesnt need to eat, he just drinks Red Bull and....oh, actually, he has huge ulcers and intestinal damage now.

So what! Aside from them...and that dead girl...and a host of other people who have issues from drinking it...its perfectly fine!

As I said, Adam, all things in moderation.

N7YA
10-26-2012, 05:50 AM
I avoid these things. If at all possible, a full nights sleep should suffice.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 06:26 AM

But guns never killed anyone because guns don't kill.

KC2UGV
10-26-2012, 06:33 AM

I down, on average, 3 24 ounce cans of Monster Drinks per day. I also, however, take care of myself overall (I eat healthy meals for lunch and dinner, cycle once a week at least, etc etc). And, I've experienced no issues from my use of Monster drinks.

I do, however, believe my stomach is finally telling me to stop drinking. Every morning after drinking an alcoholic drink, I have the worst case of heartburn ever possible (I think), and it lasts 2 to 3 days.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 07:07 AM

The thing you have to think about is that so many people are doing this. Why? I guess it's because they have a job and want to hold on to it, jobs being so hard to find. But when a job becomes this demanding that you are drinking energy drinks and risking your health, you have to wonder if it is worth it? And tacitly, most employers in this country approve of this. As long as the job gets done. No matter that they've combined 4, 7, up to 15 jobs into one. Get 'er done.

N8YX
10-26-2012, 07:26 AM
Wait for it....

MODERATION :peace:

Someone called? :lol:

(Says the guy who has three cases of stout and trippel on the shack floor at the moment...)

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 08:05 AM
The thing you have to think about is that so many people are doing this. Why? I guess it's because they have a job and want to hold on to it, jobs being so hard to find. But when a job becomes this demanding that you are drinking energy drinks and risking your health, you have to wonder if it is worth it? And tacitly, most employers in this country approve of this. As long as the job gets done. No matter that they've combined 4, 7, up to 15 jobs into one. Get 'er done.

In the last two places I was employed in the US there were (count 'em) 6 vending machines that contained ONLY energy drinks. More often than not this was monster. So yes, employers do approve of this, or so it would seem. But, is this anything new? My grandfather talks about how they would get free coffee all day long in the mill. (Ofc after awhile they started charging.) Same desire, different vice.

What ever happened to the good old days of popping some speed? ;)

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
I avoid these things. If at all possible, a full nights sleep should suffice.

I dont drink them either, or at least not often. In fact, I have never seen an energy drink here in San Vicente. In Madrid, yes but not here. I did on occasion drink the Monster coffee drinks when at work when we were out of frappe. That was maybe twice a month as I was the only one to drink the frappe. xD

W3WN
10-26-2012, 08:19 AM
The Pope is correct ........ Burt is definately the go to guy to get the straight and narrow on on those demon contests!!! :yes:You know, it occurs to me... Burt is so anti-contest that it reminds me of the preacher who publicly denounces sin while privately indulges as a sinner.

In other words... I think Burt secretly wants to be a contester.

Maybe it's time for him to come out of the closet?

N2NH
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM

People switched to crack and coke.

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
People switched to crack and coke.

And now to energy drinks.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 09:45 AM
And now to energy drinks.

There's the old standbys. Coffee, Tea and Soda. I tried No-Doz in college. Took over 2 dozen to cram for a History exam and shook like a leaf for 2 days. Didn't sleep for 2 days either.

KJ3N
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM

In more ways than one.

KB3LAZ
10-26-2012, 09:46 AM
There's the old standbys. Coffee, Tea and Soda. I tried No-Doz in college. Took over 2 dozen to cram for a History exam and shook like a leaf for 2 days. Didn't sleep for 2 days either.

Tea to stay awake? I drink tea to go to sleep.

N2NH
10-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Tea to stay awake? I drink tea to go to sleep.

Me too. Sometimes black coffee doesn't do the trick. I used to drink at least 2 liters of soda a day, sometimes 4. I am used to a lot more caffeine than I get in tea or coffee, but I've cut down. Apparently I was near the overdose level for years.

W8XLR
10-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Someone called? :lol:

(Says the guy who has three cases of stout and trippel on the shack floor at the moment...)

Actually, Its Genesee Light, and It's in the shack refrigeration unit. I did just re-stock with with 2 1/2 cases. 60- 12oz cans is the units capacity... This is about a months supply, unless I have guests. My local storekeep special orders 30 back cubes for me and gives be a bulk price point.

Don't care for Monsters, Red Bulls, etc... Nor do I drink Coke's or Pepsi's and the like either. My caffine requirements ars satisfied by 1 pot 'o black coffee per day. On a typical day, half goes into my 42oz mobile mug for morning drive, and the rest into a thermos for afternoon consumption.

Even if I did like the taste of these energy drinks, their way to expensive. As a ham, I'm far to cheap for this indulgement. ;)

KG4CGC
10-26-2012, 11:08 AM
<snip>

The boss used to sell the speed at an undisclosed plastics factory I used to work at.

N2CHX
10-26-2012, 11:12 AM
In more ways than one.

Ain't that the truth :rofl:

N2CHX
10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
If I downed one of these energy drinks it'd probably kill me. Even coffee I have to do in MAJOR moderation because it screws with my heart too much. Like 1/2 cup is about all I can handle.

kb2vxa
10-26-2012, 04:09 PM
I take it a full cup is too heavy? (;->) I just have my wake up juice in the morning or I stumble and fumble through the day, that's quite enough artificial stimulation. I have to laugh at the commercials with the 2:00 wall approach to sales, if you have to "git 'er done" FORCE YOURSELF like I did before this junk was invented. I did a little research on caffeine overdose and poisoning, it's quite rare actually. Fatalities are even rarer and occur under unusual circumstances such as preexisting heart conditions and the Darwin Award winner who ingested a couple of grams of pure caffeine powder.

N7YA
10-26-2012, 04:21 PM
I down, on average, 3 24 ounce cans of Monster Drinks per day. I also, however, take care of myself overall (I eat healthy meals for lunch and dinner, cycle once a week at least, etc etc). And, I've experienced no issues from my use of Monster drinks.

I do, however, believe my stomach is finally telling me to stop drinking. Every morning after drinking an alcoholic drink, I have the worst case of heartburn ever possible (I think), and it lasts 2 to 3 days.

Corey, that doesnt sound good. You are very smart, listen to your body!

N7YA
10-26-2012, 04:25 PM
You know, it occurs to me... Burt is so anti-contest that it reminds me of the preacher who publicly denounces sin while privately indulges as a sinner.

In other words... I think Burt secretly wants to be a contester.

A few snaps of his fingers, a twirl of his skirt (its really cute, got it on sale), a quick "5NN TU", and its off to the mall for shoes. Heyyyyyyy.....mmm hmm.

KJ3N
10-26-2012, 04:34 PM
A few snaps of his fingers, a twirl of his skirt (its really cute, got it on sale), a quick "5NN TU", and its off to the mall for shoes. Heyyyyyyy.....mmm hmm.

:rofl: